Metal Storm logo
Your 2015 AOTY that no one else cares about?

Original post

Posted by -Morbid-, 08.01.2016 - 13:43
We have all seen some albums that have had lots of mentions for album of the year,in a specific genre or overall, but this thread is for sharing an album at the top of your list that you aren't seeing mentioned everywhere else. Can also be something that is very close to the top of your list, but let's keep it pretty high on your list to avoid this becoming a "plug every obscure album you liked" thread.

Hopefully this thread can help us find some things we missed this year, and it would be interesting to hear people's opinions as to why the album is being ignored as well, so bonus points for discussing that. Of course you are encouraged to share your thoughts on albums brought up, it can perhaps shed some light on why it's being missed.

I'll get things started:

For me, it's Sickening Horror - Overflow. The Gorod seems to be getting a lot of "best death/tech death" mentions so I'm a bit surprised the Sickening Horror is going so missed. That's not to say it sounds a lot like the Gorod, but it does share some of the elements people seem to praise on A Maze of Recycled Creeds, while also being a fairly un-tech death release in that it avoids many of the issues that typically drive people away from the genre. It has the same jazzy influences and slightly noodly but relaxed nature that the Gorod shows glimpses of, while having much more memorable songs that stand out individually and they nearly completely avoid the "wank" that so many complain about with most technical releases. It also has a more intimate, sort of "genuine" atmosphere to it, sounding like a band that wants to play you some songs instead of wow you with technical mastery or blast you away with their heaviness.

I'd say it's easily the most unique tech death album of the year and is a far cry from the band's previous releases, leaning way more into the progressive side of things than the tech side of things like their last two did. I'm not aware of anything that is pretty similar to it, but if someone else does please share!

As to why it's being missed, I think it's a mix of two things. For the tech death fans, it's admittedly not very intense or "heavy" compared some of the other releases in the genre, and for people who actually enjoy the complicated guitar "wank" as many call it, it doesn't offer much of that. It actually seems it would be considered "tech death for people who don't like tech death" more, but I'm thinking most of those people don't even bother with the genre anymore so they haven't given it a chance.

Since I'm opening things up, I'll add an honorable mention for the Encyrcle's self-titled album as my traditional/speed metal album of the year. Great "old school" atmosphere without sounding like it's trying too hard, excellent vocals, well placed speedy sections with just a hint of technicality at the right times to keep things sounding "sharp", catchy riffs and choruses, and a fitting production. Other than a slightly repetitive chorus on one of the songs, I'm not sure what more you could want from an album in the genre.

Not sure why it's going missed other than the fact that it's on Unspeakable Axe, which is a great young label but most of their lineup is thrash or death oriented, and they are sub-label of Dark Descent, also a death metal label... I'd guess a lot of people looking for more traditional metal aren't really checking those labels out to find it.

Edit: Here are links if anyone is interested:
http://deepsendrecords.bandcamp.com/album/overflow
http://unspeakableaxerecords.bandcamp.com/album/encyrcle
08.01.2016 - 20:20
Zap
Written by Karlabos on 08.01.2016 at 19:51

Oh, yes. Lugubrum is always fun.
If you're liking it because of the tongue in cheek side, you should give these guys a shot if you still haven't.

Cool, thanks for the recommendation, any particular album I should start with? Good to know there's someone else here who likes Lugubrum. But then if I had to pick one MS member who I'd suspect to be into that kinda thing it would be you
08.01.2016 - 20:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Zap on 08.01.2016 at 20:20

Written by Karlabos on 08.01.2016 at 19:51

Oh, yes. Lugubrum is always fun.
If you're liking it because of the tongue in cheek side, you should give these guys a shot if you still haven't.

Cool, thanks for the recommendation, any particular album I should start with? Good to know there's someone else here who likes Lugubrum. But then if I had to pick one MS member who I'd suspect to be into that kinda thing it would be you

Well, I'd say the albums which are the ones most similar to Lugubrum are the last ones. The first ones are very in the vein of raw black...
So you could start from this one and go forward in time, I guess?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.01.2016 - 20:27
Zap
Written by Karlabos on 08.01.2016 at 20:25

Well, I'd say the albums which are the ones most similar to Lugubrum are the last ones. The first ones are very in the vein of raw black...
So you could start from this one and go forward in time, I guess?

Alright, I'm pretty much used to going forward in time anyways.
08.01.2016 - 20:29
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I too travel only forward in time. At a constant speed of 60 seconds per minute
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.01.2016 - 21:15
Diverge
This isn't quite my album of the year (that would be the new Sunpocrisy, also seemingly an album no one cares about), but I thought I'd bring forward a nice album that is pretty close to the AOTY for me.

Special Providence's Essence of Change is one of the best instrumental progressive metal albums I've heard this year.
09.01.2016 - 00:47
mz
I really loved aparatous-aparatous, and no one else gave a shit about it
https://apparatusdeath.bandcamp.com/
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
09.01.2016 - 02:51
-Morbid-
No one has listened to the Sickening Horror or Encyrcle before to comment on them?

I would have thought being a Deepsend release the Sickening Horror might have turned up a bit more, but like I said maybe people are just too tired of the technical death thing... Even though it should probably be tagged more as "progressive death" this time around.

Written by Author on 08.01.2016 at 15:09

-Morbid- never specified that it had to be metal. :

Well this is posted in the "general metal" section, so I thought it was sorta implied... That being said, I'm not opposed to non-metal things being posted I guess.

Written by Author on 08.01.2016 at 14:19

Pretty sure barely a single person gave a shit about my 2 A'sOTY. The Great Tyrant, a finishing up of a previously unfinished album from Pinkish Black members - some kind of Swan's-ish experiental rock number, which I saw only a few mentions of here and there, and the other was Echoes of Yul's release. Despite not being an unknown band, it got little to no fanfare. Is an amazing album nonetheless, being a very poised and varied, almost Boards of Canada-driven, mix of drone and other pockets of sonic experimentation. Very chilled but also constantly interesting.

I've actually seen The Great Tyrant mentioned somewhere else briefly. It's not normally my thing but I found it sorta interesting, it just didn't hook me really.

The Echoes of Yul is definitely not for me.

Written by Zreenco on 08.01.2016 at 16:20

Grey Heaven Fall - Black Wisdom

I've actually seen this mentioned a few times but I always kinda passed over it because the name sounded like it would be a doom band... Shame on me, it sounds really good.

Written by Nimlot on 08.01.2016 at 19:42

My pick for 2015 darling is Hadean's On Fading. It's a wonderful piece of sonic experimentation that I know a few people on here got into a little bit, but I think it deserves a lot more love.

Sounds interesting but without more time I can't tell if it's something I'd overly enjoy. Will give it a few listens when I have time to play through it start to finish.

Written by Diverge on 08.01.2016 at 21:15

This isn't quite my album of the year (that would be the new Sunpocrisy, also seemingly an album no one cares about), but I thought I'd bring forward a nice album that is pretty close to the AOTY for me.

Special Providence's Essence of Change is one of the best instrumental progressive metal albums I've heard this year.

Never heard of this but it sounds great so far.

Written by mz on 09.01.2016 at 00:47

I really loved aparatous-aparatous, and no one else gave a shit about it
https://apparatusdeath.bandcamp.com/

I was trying to figure out why this looked so familiar, then remembered I listened to their demo a while back. Not the normal... aesthetic of death metal I go for, but it's interesting and I'll have to listen to it a bit more.
09.01.2016 - 06:34
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Not much talk about The Slow Death's Ark. I'd probably still keep it ahead of Gloryhammer as my album of the year.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
09.01.2016 - 13:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 09.01.2016 at 06:34

Not much talk about The Slow Death's Ark.

Great album, made my top 30 at spot nr. 24.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.01.2016 - 22:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 09.01.2016 at 06:34

Not much talk about The Slow Death's Ark. I'd probably still keep it ahead of Gloryhammer as my album of the year.

in my list to and I even commented album

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=4425
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.01.2016 - 08:40
Desert Father
Dodheimsgard's A Umbra Omega. I think many people ignored it because it's not industrial but to me it's their best.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
14.01.2016 - 17:28
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Bell Witch-Four Phantoms is a experimental funeral doom album in a quite generic and stale genre. Funeral genre has experimented a lot with its dark expressions, this album instead has its best parts in the parts that usually are not associated with funeral doom - clean singing, rockish parts. This maybe makes the album more appriciated by crossover metalheads than the traditionals. If there was a masterpiece in 2015, this would be my pick

The album has 30 votes and a 7,8 rating
15.01.2016 - 15:25
Nimlot
A. Reader
Spylacopa's Parallels is another delight that someone on here threw onto the shoutbox once and has gone unmentioned since. It really stuck with me as an avant/prog great.
16.01.2016 - 16:59
Belegรปr
Arise In Might!
Guardians Of Time - Rage & Fire. It shat over anything the big bands of the genre released in 2015.
18.01.2016 - 03:14
Diverge
Written by Nimlot on 15.01.2016 at 15:25

Spylacopa's Parallels is another delight that someone on here threw onto the shoutbox once and has gone unmentioned since. It really stuck with me as an avant/prog great.

This is quite intriguing. Thanks for sharing.
18.01.2016 - 14:28
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I haven't heard anything remarkably great albums in 2015 tbh, so I'm just going to post an album that I found interesting lately:

Steak Number Eight - Kosmokoma

Sounds pretty nice, not sure how to describe it.
18.01.2016 - 14:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Fallen Ghost on 18.01.2016 at 14:28

I haven't heard anything remarkably great albums in 2015 tbh, so I'm just going to post an album that I found interesting lately:

mediocre post metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.01.2016 - 19:26
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.01.2016 at 14:47

mediocre post metal.

Why do you think it's mediocre? Haven't listened very carefully to it but so far what I've heard sounds pretty promising
18.01.2016 - 23:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
"Syner" by Grift and "As All Light Leaves Her" by Advent Sorrow. Not really that unrecognized by others, but should have gotten more attention IMO. Grift did some epic black metal with a lot of influences from swedish folk music. Beautiful and sad stuff. Advent Sorrow has been pushing their first album for a long time. I thought it was going to be crap. Their debut EP was a great Dimmu Borgir copy but when I first heard teasers for the album it sounded completely different and I thought they were going the wrong way. Instead came the best depressive black metal album of 2015.
----
22.01.2016 - 03:09
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

not sure how to describe it.

atmospheric sludge and post-grunge....and don't listen to Marcel.
----
rekt
25.01.2016 - 03:06
Totenlieder
Ruins by Iskra would definitely be mine.
Radical female fronted blackened crust.
----
Blut & Krieg
25.01.2016 - 03:57
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Batushka
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
25.01.2016 - 12:29
Paz
Elite
Written by Maco on 25.01.2016 at 03:57

Batushka

You aren't the only one It's in my top 10 of the year. I just can't wait for their live liturgies! The outfits looks pretty boss so far...
25.01.2016 - 20:35
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Paz on 25.01.2016 at 12:29

I just can't wait for their live liturgies!

They caught me by surprise 2 days before the year ended when I heard their album via OdiumNostrum.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
23.02.2016 - 03:57
Zร–N
Well it wasn't my top for 2015, but something off the top of my head is Exhausting Fire by Kylesa. They're one of my personal favorite metal acts of the modern age and one of the most original in my opinion. With every release they've expanded their psych-sludge sound further and further, and here is the latest. Really great progression throughout their discography, it's not my favorite of theirs either but a 2015 album I haven't seen much buzz for.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/releases Progressive/experimental black metal
https://znmusic.bandcamp.com/ Avant-garde drone metal, ambient, noise
https://noosefiller.bandcamp.com/ Experimental raw black metal/noise
07.06.2016 - 20:22
SolemnBastion
Abyssal - Antikatastaseis
Outre - Ghost Chants
----
SOLEMN BASTION (distro) is an ADVOCATE of LEFT HAND PATH and OBSCURE art, based out of the Benelux.

https://solemnbastion.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Solemn-Bastion-448330452029415/
http://solemnbastion.tumblr.com/
08.06.2016 - 10:41
Ganondox
Tarby's Everfree
https://tarbyrocks.bandcamp.com/album/everfree
08.06.2016 - 11:17
Paz
Elite
Written by SolemnBastion on 07.06.2016 at 20:22

Abyssal - Antikatastaseis
Outre - Ghost Chants

Wow, that's an amazing combination!
12.06.2016 - 17:03
Defunctus
Ego Depths - Dýrtangle
19.06.2016 - 18:00
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
I dunno... The 2015 album I've played the most is probably Solefald - World Metal Kosmopolis Sud

But nobody else seems to care that much for it.