Metal Storm logo
Myrkur - Getting Death Threats, Limits Facebook Messages

One-woman black metal project Myrkur always seems to generate a lot of discussions, maybe because she is a woman in a predominantly male dominated genre, maybe because she gets a lot of attention. Whatever the cause may be, things has been taken too far now as Myrkur, aka Amalie Bruun, has posted online about getting tired of receiving death threats via Facebook. Bruun doesn't blame the metal community as a whole but points out that those threats and messages are coming mostly from American men and occasionally Eastern European.

The multi-instrumentalist has posted the following on her Facebook page regarding the matter: "I know that some of you have noticed you can no longer send me private messages. The reason for this is I am getting tired of the death threats and hate emails. Believe it or not but that s*** looses it's charm after a while. I am of course sad that I then no longer can receive personal letters from supporters + fan-art in private messages, but please continue to post your beautiful pieces on this page or to my instagram @myrkurmyrkur."

She also told Noisey: "I have decided long ago to not publish any screenshots or names of the people who threaten / hate me, because I don't wish to feed it or give them their 15 min of hater fame. That is the truth, I could have done it a million times, but they don't deserve the attention and a lot of them also use fake profiles. The ones who use real profiles are more often than not in a band themselves, so if I publish anything about them, I would also involuntarily be promoting their shitty bands. Another reason not to do it. If anyone is interested in showcasing the hate I get, there is plenty shit about me on the internet they can find. Hate videos on YouTube, scroll a comment section from an article about me or even my own Facebook etc etc. There is enough to go around! (and twitter, some writers tweet passive aggressive tweets about me, poorly hidden hate, while discrediting my talent as 'just marketing' or 'just because she is a woman in a man dominated genre'."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Myrkur
Posted: 08.01.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 47   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 247 users
08.01.2016 - 21:05
Feng
A lot of sad people in the world...
08.01.2016 - 21:15
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Wtf! Send them to Insomnium instead. This just increases my belief that most metalheads are idiots in a genre they dont deserve.
08.01.2016 - 21:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
American man, east European ... I think its Rasputin who does it, his style
it was about painting where Icelandic woman boiled babies . it was Christians death treats, every religion is equal , here you go rapsutin way, image Europe if orthoxoia comes ... anoyher dude's stamenet would be nice to read, but he is well ... India, Chralie and Juliet is equal , Oscar Charlie is more equal whit India
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.01.2016 - 21:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Btw I had a death treats yesterday in facebook from ukarian where made fun about orthoxia ritual where clowns were dressed like pagans
----

apos;'
[image]
08.01.2016 - 21:40
visiblenoise
Glad she's able to take it maturely at least.
08.01.2016 - 22:22
azry3L
People really have nothing better to do...
08.01.2016 - 22:36
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I don't even...

By the way Myrkur is doing a great job. Please, continue making black metal with ethereal chants =]
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.01.2016 - 23:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by azry3L on 08.01.2016 at 22:22

People really have nothing better to do...

well such ppl stupid ppl can get job, pay bills I net, electricity ... funny

btw dead traths in I net is same crime as in real life, but funny how old bill works, (now in Germany hides crime because Angel women wants it) ...
----

apos;'
[image]
08.01.2016 - 23:19
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Karlabos on 08.01.2016 at 22:36

I don't even...

By the way Myrkur is doing a great job. Please, continue making black metal with ethereal chants =]

no please stop !

also its 1992 all over again!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
08.01.2016 - 23:23
Nicko's Nose
This kind of behavior is one of the reasons why I refuse to call myself a metalhead.
08.01.2016 - 23:36
Mechaniacal
No-life losers that threaten females entering the black metal scene should really feel embarrassed about their pathetic existence. Utterly cringeworthy and I will never waste my time with sexist "metalheads." They're garbage.
08.01.2016 - 23:57
Wukk
If it's just about her being a woman, why didn't the faux-kvlt brigade go after Astarte, Gallhammer and Déborah as well? These people really are the Westboro Baptist Church of music. Let's hope they don't have her killed for "not being satanic enough".
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
08.01.2016 - 23:59
Vombatus
Potorro
The internet acting like the internet. Intolerable!
09.01.2016 - 00:00
Dinruth
Written by Mechaniacal on 08.01.2016 at 23:36

No-life losers that threaten females entering the black metal scene should really feel embarrassed about their pathetic existence. Utterly cringeworthy and I will never waste my time with sexist "metalheads." They're garbage.

<-- what he said
09.01.2016 - 00:03
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Wukk on 08.01.2016 at 23:57

If it's just about her being a woman, why didn't the faux-kvlt brigade go after Astarte, Gallhammer and Déborah as well? These people really are the Westboro Baptist Church of music. Let's hope they don't have her killed for "not being satanic enough".

Its probably not her being a woman in BM, more like being a woman capitalist in the trade of BM. The second is indeed more problematic than the first.
09.01.2016 - 00:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Oh yes, capitalism is dangerous
----
- Reimu Hakurei
09.01.2016 - 00:57
Ocean Sage
That's awful, now I feel so sad for her. People can be awful fucking degenerates.
09.01.2016 - 00:58
mz
Metalheads being nice as always.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
09.01.2016 - 03:02
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 08.01.2016 at 23:19

Perhaps a ccllaboration with Horde, dedicated to all the "people" sending death threats?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
09.01.2016 - 03:04
Wukk
Written by M C Vice on 09.01.2016 at 03:02
Perhaps a ccllaboration with Horde, dedicated to all the "people" sending death threats?

If it'll get Horde releasing new material, then yes.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
09.01.2016 - 03:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 09.01.2016 at 03:07

It sucks but hey when you're anonymous you can get away with these kind of acts, sadly.

there is IP and like I said its crime, same like racism, insults bla bla, if she goes to old bill. they ca invsatigate, hate crime online is same as in real life, IP wont hide you ... there are rules also online... many ppl don't know it
----

apos;'
[image]
09.01.2016 - 03:57
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
All this Horde talk reminds me of the day the christian black metal band Antestor went to play here in my town. There was a fuzz on the site of the venue of kvlt people death threatening the members as well as the venue staff. Very pathetic stuff

Needless to say, I went there on the day, enjoyed the gig and nothing happened.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
09.01.2016 - 10:44
ANGEL REAPER
Written by M C Vice on 09.01.2016 at 03:02

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 08.01.2016 at 23:19

i dont know... i find all this endlessly amusing.I dont support the threats (i find them idiotic ) but i am keen to say that in this case it could be some marketing stunt as well.
If she feels threatened she should go to police and not whine about it on facebook.

Myrkur is (unfortunately) foremost the victim of hype train losing steam.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
09.01.2016 - 10:52
Bananatron
Silly black metaleans.
09.01.2016 - 12:45
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Then again BM is full of death threats, its part of the genre, mostly the 90s but still. Realeses a a bad - average album and thinks the whole genre can be changed. If shes gonna change BM - without death threats and being more commercial - at least she should give it some time. If she cant walk on water that is.
09.01.2016 - 18:11
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
I just want to note something I've observed lately that I find to be very ironic

Remember the days when metal music as a whole was extremely leftist, and there was generally a lot of rejection of mainstream cultural norms within it due to the more conservative elements in society consistently scapegoating the genre as a negative societal influence? What happened to that, exactly? Because today, for some reason or another, I see a startling number of metal fans who actually seem to have shifted more to those conservative value systems than anything else. And they have become just as condescending and bigoted towards elements within the metal genre perceived as not measuring up to certain standards as groups like the PMRC were towards metal in the 80s.

I've heard people, both online and unfortunately in person as well, making comments about this like "this isn't a woman's role," "this isn't what black metal is about," and shit like that in regards to this woman. What the fuck? Was there always this sort of bullshit machismo and misogyny in the metal community, or am I missing something? It's nothing but ironic and to a certain extent hypocritical to me that this genre that essentially started out as a combative voice against conservative bullshit in society and persecution of people for being different now has individuals within it who are displaying that very behavior, on quite a noticeable scale, might I add.

Another example happened just a few days ago: Municipal Waste putting out this anti Donald Trump shirt. And there are actually fans complaining about it and defending Trump! 30 years ago, I would like to think anyway, if that had been an anti-Reagan shirt, metalheads everywhere would've just been eating it up with their middle fingers high in the air yelling "FUCK THE SYSTEM!" loudly. No questions asked.

So what the fuck is going on here, exactly?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
09.01.2016 - 20:59
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.01.2016 at 18:11

So what the fuck is going on here, exactly?

Nowadays I don't think that the music hardly infuses peoples beliefs. I can influence their ideology and sense of logic however, but this is why now everyone has a different mind set as opposed to being the same. Its that principle really. I'm not sure if civil elitism existed in metal at the 80's but its the same reason as to why people think NSBM is a good idea. Music can as a majority be one of the only few things to connect what people share together.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

09.01.2016 - 21:32
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Alakazam on 09.01.2016 at 20:59

Nowadays I don't think that the music hardly infuses peoples beliefs. I can influence their ideology and sense of logic however, but this is why now everyone has a different mind set as opposed to being the same. Its that principle really. I'm not sure if civil elitism existed in metal at the 80's but its the same reason as to why people think NSBM is a good idea. Music can as a majority be one of the only few things to connect what people share together.

Of course music can be a unifying rallying point for a specific ideology and for bonding people together, that happens all the time. I'm just curious as to why a shift from (mostly) anti-authoritarian and elitist sentiments to individuals who often reflect such sentiments themselves is present in modern metal. I will admit though that this is something I notice far more among metal fans these days than actual bands, for whatever reason that might be
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
09.01.2016 - 22:27
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I had to check out the band's music after reading this and I really like what i'm hearing. I just can't understand the hate the band's getting.
09.01.2016 - 23:03
no one
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.01.2016 at 21:32

Written by Alakazam on 09.01.2016 at 20:59

Of course music can be a unifying rallying point for a specific ideology and for bonding people together, that happens all the time. I'm just curious as to why a shift from (mostly) anti-authoritarian and elitist sentiments to individuals who often reflect such sentiments themselves is present in modern metal. I will admit though that this is something I notice far more among metal fans these days than actual bands, for whatever reason that might be

The leftie way and the things metal used to be anti about is more agreed with in mainstream society now, so maybe they have to go the opposite direction so the can still be angry anti society

Hits total: 4434 | This month: 9