Metal Storm logo
Help to essential black metal records

29.01.2016 - 12:41
Nesrail
Account deleted
Hello.
I just got a gift certificate for some music and I want to buy some black metal records on vinyl.
I already have some Darkthrone, Burzum and a little Mayhem. I'm looking for essential black from Norway, you know, like "True Norwegian Black", but its not necessary limited to Norway. Since people can always argue whats the most essential records of black, I was hoping for a little help for records you absolutely need to own.

I have a few I think is records you NEED to own:
Mayhem - Deathcrush
Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger
Burzum - Burzum/Aske

These are the owns I have so far as I think is essential. I have a few Gorgoroth, but I'm not sure how essential they are, compared to others at the time.
29.01.2016 - 14:25
Paz
Elite
Here is my short advice. Just buy the stuff you love and don't care about its notability. It's easier that way
29.01.2016 - 14:43
Nesrail
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 29.01.2016 at 14:25

Here is my short advice. Just buy the stuff you love and don't care about its notability. It's easier that way

Think of it like its a collectors thing
29.01.2016 - 15:23
Paz
Elite
Written by Guest on 29.01.2016 at 14:43

Alrighty then! Here's my few suggestions:

• Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
  • Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler
  • Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
  • Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
  • Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
  • Immortal - Pure Holocaust
  • Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark

I don't know if these are available on vinyl though.
    29.01.2016 - 16:06
    Nesrail
    Account deleted
    Written by Paz on 29.01.2016 at 15:23

Written by Guest on 29.01.2016 at 14:43

Alrighty then! Here's my few suggestions:

• Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
  • Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler
  • Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
  • Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
  • Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
  • Immortal - Pure Holocaust
  • Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark

I don't know if these are available on vinyl though.

• Great list. Thanks.
    30.01.2016 - 03:42
    Lord_Regnier
    Written by Guest on 29.01.2016 at 12:41

Hello.
    I just got a gift certificate for some music and I want to buy some black metal records on vinyl.
    I already have some Darkthrone, Burzum and a little Mayhem. I'm looking for essential black from Norway, you know, like "True Norwegian Black", but its not necessary limited to Norway. Since people can always argue whats the most essential records of black, I was hoping for a little help for records you absolutely need to own.

I have a few I think is records you NEED to own:
    Mayhem - Deathcrush
    Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
    Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
    Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger
    Burzum - Burzum/Aske

These are the owns I have so far as I think is essential. I have a few Gorgoroth, but I'm not sure how essential they are, compared to others at the time.

There is no such thing as "essential records". It all comes down to your personal tastes and tastes differ from one person to another.
    Saying that some albums are "essential" is like saying that quality is determined by popularity and the opinion of the majority. And the majority is usually wrong when it comes to quality. That's why pop shit like Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift sells thousands of times more than Metal. Most human are idiots so don't trust the majority. No one will ever tell me what I sould own.

Think about it: take 10 Black Metal fans and ask them to draw the list of "essential" BM albums. Not a single one will come up with the same list because it's a matter of tastes and preferences, thus subjective. There is no "true" list of "essential BM albums".

I understand that you're asking for recommendations, which is perfectly fine. But I don't like your choice of words, as it implies that there is a definitive list of albums you must own. It's the same kind of reasoning as "If you don't like Reign In Blood you're not a real Thrash fan".
    Truth is what can be "essential" for me could be bad for you and vice versa.

I'm not entirely sure I interpret your words correctly. A few of your words make me believe that you understand it is a matter of tastes.

However, looking at your collection, you seem to look almost exclusively at what is popular and widely known. So perhaps you're one of those people who prefer to rely on the opinion of the majority, rather than exploring all kind of stuff by yourself and making your own choices without caring for the opinion of others.
    ----
    "Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
    30.01.2016 - 10:35
    Nesrail
    Account deleted
    Written by Lord_Regnier on 30.01.2016 at 03:42

There is no such thing as "essential records". It all comes down to your personal tastes and tastes differ from one person to another.
    Saying that some albums are "essential" is like saying that quality is determined by popularity and the opinion of the majority. And the majority is usually wrong when it comes to quality. That's why pop shit like Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift sells thousands of times more than Metal. Most human are idiots so don't trust the majority. No one will ever tell me what I sould own.

Think about it: take 10 Black Metal fans and ask them to draw the list of "essential" BM albums. Not a single one will come up with the same list because it's a matter of tastes and preferences, thus subjective. There is no "true" list of "essential BM albums".

I understand that you're asking for recommendations, which is perfectly fine. But I don't like your choice of words, as it implies that there is a definitive list of albums you must own. It's the same kind of reasoning as "If you don't like Reign In Blood you're not a real Thrash fan".
    Truth is what can be "essential" for me could be bad for you and vice versa.

I'm not entirely sure I interpret your words correctly. A few of your words make me believe that you understand it is a matter of tastes.

However, looking at your collection, you seem to look almost exclusively at what is popular and widely known. So perhaps you're one of those people who prefer to rely on the opinion of the majority, rather than exploring all kind of stuff by yourself and making your own choices without caring for the opinion of others.

If I could I would buy all the albums on vinyl from the 100+ black metal artist I have music with, but not all the music is in-my-collection-as-vinyl worthy. You used thrash as an example so I'll do the same.
    You must admit that some thrash albums is the top of thrash metal, like Master Of Puppets, Reign in Blood or Rust in Piece, if you like it or not. Its safe to say that Metallica had a saying in how thrash metal should sound and Master of Puppets is, in my opinion, a record that that should be considered essential for thrash metal. Some metalheads might like St. Anger but it didn't have a big impact on the metal world, like Master of Puppets did (I would never buy St. Anger on vinyl!).

The same goes for black metal. Mayhem, Darkthrone or Bathory made the foundation of how black metal "should" sound. Yes, everybody has a different opinion on essential black metal albums but some albums are still considered "essential" for black metal. My favorite album right now is Thou Shalt Suffer's Somnium, but I don't consider it a essential to black metal (but its freaking awesome!).

Yes my choice of words may not be the best but "essential" is still the word I would use.

As my collection goes, those 5 albums I listed, are what I myself consider essential to black metal, and I'm looking for opinions on more. In vinyl I have 65 records so far. On digital I just passed 2100 albums, some are widely known, some are not.

(and don't hate on Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift. They are essential on how music shouldn't sound )
    30.01.2016 - 14:24
    Metren
    Dreadrealm

Hello.

I will suggest some albums that haven't been suggested before and give explanations too. However, I don't think all of my suggestions will qualify as "True Norwegian Black", but I feel they are all essential anyway. You be judge.

Immortal - "Sons Of Northern Darkness"

Aside from simply being a superb album from start to finish, this album features, what I consider to be one of the best riffs in any metal gerne: "Tyrants" main riff. Why is it so glorious? Because it is such a simple, yet effective riff. You could literally learn to play it flawlessly in 30 minutes, even if you picked up the guitar for the first time just a week before (I know this from experience). It's also a slow(ish) riff and those are much harder to write than fast riffs (again, in my experience). The simple raw power of that riff, that song and the rest of the album is almost unbelievable. Definitely an essential album in my book.

Enslaved - "Isa"

At the risk of sounding like a hipster , this album is far superior to the somewhat overrated "Axioma Ethica Odini". It's a perfect example of how to combine black with prog, taking the best from both genres in way that doesn't become a gimmick. While I personally have kind of lost interest in Enslaved recently, this album still stands the test of time, even for me.

Negură Bunget - "OM"

This one is hardest to describe by far, it is often called "transcendental black metal". I think it is one of those love it or hate it albums, but there is no denying that Negură Bunget are pretty unique. If by some miracle, black metal had been invented by some ancient tribe, living near a mysterious forest, a tribe into weird rituals and... even more weird rituals, then all of it would probably sound something like "OM".

Wow, that sounded like a bunch of pretentious bullshit, but trust me, this album is a glorious spiritual journey

Aquilus - "Griseus"

This is an album that I love more than any other I can recommend. However, I don't recommend it quite as highly as other albums on this list. While it is a 10/10 album for me, if I am speaking objectively, it does have flaws, it is far too long for example. It's an album, that mixes classical music with bm and does it in a way that feels kind of arbitrary (very much so for some), but there's no denying that both the classical elements and the dark, heavy bm elements are excellent on their own. If you like classical and bm and more importantly, if you would like to hear them put together by a genius, then you might love this album too. It surely is unique enough to warrant a place on your collection.

That's all I feel like typing for now. If you want more classic albums, you should also probably consider purchasing Summoning's "Stronghold", even though I find Summoning kind of boring and extremely overrated.
    ----
    My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
    30.01.2016 - 14:27
    Karlabos
    Meat and Potatos
    Written by Metren on 30.01.2016 at 14:24

Negură Bunget - "OM"

This one is hardest to describe by far, it is often called "transcendental black metal".

Isn't that the description to Liturgy?
    ----
    "Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
    - Reimu Hakurei
    30.01.2016 - 14:32
    Metren
    Dreadrealm
    Written by Karlabos on 30.01.2016 at 14:27

Negură Bunget - "OM"

This one is hardest to describe by far, it is often called "transcendental black metal".

Isn't that the description to Liturgy?

I wouldn't know, since the reviews and comments I have read for Liturgy's music haven't exactly invited me to listen to them, quite the contrary

To keep this on topic, would you suggest any of their stuff as essential, though? I doubt it.
    ----
    My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
    30.01.2016 - 16:18
    ANGEL REAPER
    You know what posers do ? gather essential records ....
    ----
    "Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
    "Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
    30.01.2016 - 16:58
    Nesrail
    Account deleted

Hello.

I will suggest some albums that haven't been suggested before and give explanations too. However, I don't think all of my suggestions will qualify as "True Norwegian Black", but I feel they are all essential anyway. You be judge.

Immortal - "Sons Of Northern Darkness"

Aside from simply being a superb album from start to finish, this album features, what I consider to be one of the best riffs in any metal gerne: "Tyrants" main riff. Why is it so glorious? Because it is such a simple, yet effective riff. You could literally learn to play it flawlessly in 30 minutes, even if you picked up the guitar for the first time just a week before (I know this from experience). It's also a slow(ish) riff and those are much harder to write than fast riffs (again, in my experience). The simple raw power of that riff, that song and the rest of the album is almost unbelievable. Definitely an essential album in my book.

Enslaved - "Isa"

At the risk of sounding like a hipster , this album is far superior to the somewhat overrated "Axioma Ethica Odini". It's a perfect example of how to combine black with prog, taking the best from both genres in way that doesn't become a gimmick. While I personally have kind of lost interest in Enslaved recently, this album still stands the test of time, even for me.

Negură Bunget - "OM"

This one is hardest to describe by far, it is often called "transcendental black metal". I think it is one of those love it or hate it albums, but there is no denying that Negură Bunget are pretty unique. If by some miracle, black metal had been invented by some ancient tribe, living near a mysterious forest, a tribe into weird rituals and... even more weird rituals, then all of it would probably sound something like "OM".

Wow, that sounded like a bunch of pretentious bullshit, but trust me, this album is a glorious spiritual journey

Aquilus - "Griseus"

This is an album that I love more than any other I can recommend. However, I don't recommend it quite as highly as other albums on this list. While it is a 10/10 album for me, if I am speaking objectively, it does have flaws, it is far too long for example. It's an album, that mixes classical music with bm and does it in a way that feels kind of arbitrary (very much so for some), but there's no denying that both the classical elements and the dark, heavy bm elements are excellent on their own. If you like classical and bm and more importantly, if you would like to hear them put together by a genius, then you might love this album too. It surely is unique enough to warrant a place on your collection.

That's all I feel like typing for now. If you want more classic albums, you should also probably consider purchasing Summoning's "Stronghold", even though I find Summoning kind of boring and extremely overrated.

Thanks man. I haven't heard Aquilus before so I will give them a listen
    30.01.2016 - 16:59
    Nesrail
    Account deleted
    Written by ANGEL REAPER on 30.01.2016 at 16:18

Yeah, I'm a poser.... :
    30.01.2016 - 17:21
    ANGEL REAPER
    Written by Guest on 30.01.2016 at 16:59

Yeah, I'm a poser....:

than seriously dude just get something you like. fuck all that talk about essential stuff...

I listened to BM for most of my life and never ever thought about what is essential and what is not. Its dumb thing to me to go and buy some album you may or not may like ony because some dude on internet wrote "this album is essential".I mean,essential for what ?Not much beside fetishistic need of people to own stuff that other people say they need essentially .Just go ,look what you like and buy it. Essential is only the stuff you like.
    ----
    "Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
    "Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
    30.01.2016 - 17:26
    Nesrail
    Account deleted
    Written by ANGEL REAPER on 30.01.2016 at 17:21

Written by Guest on 30.01.2016 at 16:59

Yeah, I'm a poser....:

than seriously dude just get something you like. fuck all that talk about essential stuff...

I listened to BM for most of my life and never ever thought about what is essential and what is not. Its dumb thing to me to go and buy some album you may or not may like ony because some dude on internet wrote "this album is essential".I mean,essential for what ?Not much beside fetishistic need of people to own stuff that other people say they need essentially .Just go ,look what you like and buy it. Essential is only the stuff you like.

*sigh* nevermind.
    30.01.2016 - 17:42
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    Elite
    Written by Guest on 30.01.2016 at 17:26

*sigh* nevermind.

I get where you're coming from with your question about 'essential' albums. Every genre has albums that helped shape the genre and are of historical importance. Like you mentioned Reign In Blood and Master Of Puppets, but also Ride The Lightning, Kill 'em All, Black Sabbath's first couple, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, a couple of Paradise Lost ones, also some My Dying Bride, Iron Maiden, Celtic Frost albums, Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate, Seven Churches, Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy, Left Hand Path... I could go on and on. One does not have to like those historical documents but they are of immense importance for the shaping of the genres. I am one who would certainly buy those album. Hell, for example, I own Apocalyptic Raids and Venom's first three. I don't like them but I do want to own them due to their signifance for the music I love so muc.
    ----
    Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
    Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.01.2016 - 18:00
    ANGEL REAPER
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.01.2016 at 17:42

One does not have to like those historical documents but they are of immense importance for the shaping of the genres. I am one who would certainly buy those album. Hell, for example, I own Apocalyptic Raids and Venom's first three. I don't like them but I do want to own them due to their signifance for the music I love so muc.

like i said ,if you dont like certain album i see no need to own it ... that is why i dislike collectors in general ....
    ----
    30.01.2016 - 18:05
    Karlabos
    Meat and Potatos
    Yep. collectors keep giving money to the ones who already have instead of supporting underground bands who actually need =)
    ----
    "Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
    - Reimu Hakurei
    30.01.2016 - 18:08
    Nesrail
    Account deleted

*sigh* nevermind.

I get where you're coming from with your question about 'essential' albums. Every genre has albums that helped shape the genre and are of historical importance. Like you mentioned Reign In Blood and Master Of Puppets, but also Ride The Lightning, Kill 'em All, Black Sabbath's first couple, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, a couple of Paradise Lost ones, also some My Dying Bride, Iron Maiden, Celtic Frost albums, Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate, Seven Churches, Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy, Left Hand Path... I could go on and on. One does not have to like those historical documents but they are of immense importance for the shaping of the genres. I am one who would certainly buy those album. Hell, for example, I own Apocalyptic Raids and Venom's first three. I don't like them but I do want to own them due to their signifance for the music I love so muc.

That's exactly my point. Thanks for clarifying
    30.01.2016 - 18:14
    Nesrail
    Account deleted
    Written by Karlabos on 30.01.2016 at 18:05

Yep. collectors keep giving money to the ones who already have instead of supporting underground bands who actually need =)

Lol I don't know how you got that idea. If I like the bands I see or hear I always buy the records, mostly because most of the underground bands albums are impossible to find.
    30.01.2016 - 19:03
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    Elite

Then you clearly don't know me or my spending nature when it comes to music.
    Spending money on essentials can also be done by buying second-hand copies, no money goes to the band that way. And the classic/historically important albums are far less in total than all the underground stuff.
    ----
    Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
    Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.01.2016 - 19:17
    Lord_Regnier

*sigh* nevermind.

ANGEL REAPER basically shares my point of view but he's going too far by calling people "posers". I won't do that. I know you are not a "poser" and I don't think Nesrail deserves to be called a "poser" either. You guys can buy whatever you want, it's not my business.

I understand hystorical importance. I can't deny it. I just happen to not care for it when it comes to listening to and buying albums. When I buy an album, it's because I intend to listen to it from time to time, not to put it on a shelf collecting dust. I don't see the point of owning an album I don't like.

I totally agree that we don't have to like those albums. As you know, hystorical importance doesn't automatically mean quality. I would say most of the time it is the case but there is also some mediocre crap among the lot. And tastes differ between individuals.

I never said that Nesrail should not buy those albums. I said that I disagree with buying them for the sole reason of them being "essentials", if you don't really enjoy them.
    ----
    30.01.2016 - 19:26
    Lord_Regnier

The fact that people buy albums from popular bands doesn't mean they don't also buy more underground stuff.
    Some people buy lots of albums, popular or not.
    ----
    30.01.2016 - 19:48
    ANGEL REAPER
    Yeah ,the poser comment was mostly sarcasm/joke ... the latter comment was from from the heart ...
    ----
    30.01.2016 - 19:52
    no one
    Account deleted
    Aquilus, essenstial
    30.01.2016 - 20:02
    Metren
    Dreadrealm
    Written by Guest on 30.01.2016 at 19:52

Aquilus, essenstial

Why not?
    ----
    30.01.2016 - 20:11
    no one
    Account deleted
    Written by Metren on 30.01.2016 at 20:02

Why not?

I don't think that album has any special importance in black metal.
    30.01.2016 - 20:13
    ANGEL REAPER
    Written by Metren on 30.01.2016 at 20:02

Written by Guest on 30.01.2016 at 19:52

Aquilus, essenstial

Why not?

I literally never heard of them ....
    ----
    30.01.2016 - 20:16
    no one
    Account deleted
    I really like hypothermia kold.....does that make it an essential black metal album?
    30.01.2016 - 20:25
    Metren
    Dreadrealm
    Written by Guest on 30.01.2016 at 20:11

I don't think that album has any special importance in black metal.

From what I can tell, it is an album that has brought quite many new fans to the genre. I've read comments online along the lines of "If black metal can be like this, then I am in" or "I wasn't searching for music like this, but I am into this now". It is also a masterpiece of songwriting and I almost never feel that way about albums with classical/symphonic elements, most of the time symphonic stuff just makes me feel ill.

Still, you may be right and I may be blinded by how much that album has continued to impress me. It is an essential album for me, one of those albums that I am jealous of, one of those albums, that makes me fall in love with metal and music again, every time I listen to it.

If "essential" is to be defined as "albums that have shaped the genre in a major way", then it probably isn't essential. If "essential" is to be defined as "showing how amazing and diverse a genre can be", then I believe Griseus is an essential album.
    ----