Metal Storm logo
Metallica - 'Master Of Puppets' Preserved By US Library Of Congress

Metallica's 1986 masterpiece Master Of Puppets has been preserved for posterity and is the first metal title to be given the honour of being added to the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress. The record was selected as one of the 25 new sound recordings added to the registry of works that are "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

The band commented on this: "The selections this year bring the total number of recordings to 450, as the program began in 2002, and we are proud and humbled to join such icons as John Coltrane, Merle Haggard, Santana and George Carlin, among others, in this pantheon of American recordings as 2015's inductees. Master Of Puppets is a collection of songs that we consider a defining moment in our formative years and the honor bestowed upon this album is beyond thrilling."

The US Government-run library's National Recording Registry each year selects 25 pieces judged to be "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" and keeps the best-quality originals to safeguard for future generations.

What other metal albums should be preserved for posterity?

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 25.03.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 43   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 262 users
25.03.2016 - 13:37
Ruchesko
Good luck deflating Lars's ego after this.
25.03.2016 - 14:20
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
It's received validation by the Omnipotent Musical Authority! It must have God status now!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
25.03.2016 - 14:47
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
The most overrated metal album of all-time. It's great but it's not even their best album.
25.03.2016 - 15:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hex_Omega on 25.03.2016 at 14:47

It's great but it's not even their best album.

True, that would be Ride The Lightning. Master Of Pupets is almost a complete carbon copy of that album but with lesser songs.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.03.2016 - 15:29
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Quote:

Lulu
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.03.2016 - 15:55
slim pickings
Account deleted
So this is news from their own site, oh, they must be so proud.
25.03.2016 - 16:05
FYA
Destroyer
Written by Ellrohir on 25.03.2016 at 15:29

Quote:

Lulu

lol
25.03.2016 - 16:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Yeah it's pretty much a carbon copy of RTL, only with the 7th and 8th songs switched, but i prefer it slightly. i'm sure this album was selected as it was part of their breakthrough.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.03.2016 - 16:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 25.03.2016 at 16:27

i'm sure this album was selected as it was part of their breakthrough.

Of that I am sure as well.
It was their first break-through album into the metal masses. The black album was their breakthrough to the commercial Billboard mainstream masses.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.03.2016 - 17:39
YourRequiem
Meh, lame.
25.03.2016 - 18:52
SlapTap
Metal fans are a strange lot. Y'all complain that metal never gets any respect by mainstream culture but then you act like this is some insignificant gesture. This is way more recognition then a Grammy for example. I'd say they picked a pretty good record to represent metal for posterity seeing as this is sometimes the number one voted record on this site.
26.03.2016 - 02:15
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
"What other metal albums should be preserved for posterity?"
Assuming it doesn't have to be Americans, either of the first 2 Mercyful Fate albums?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.03.2016 - 02:47
MikeVonDoom
Written by SlapTap on 25.03.2016 at 18:52

Metal fans are a strange lot. Y'all complain that metal never gets any respect by mainstream culture but then you act like this is some insignificant gesture. This is way more recognition then a Grammy for example. I'd say they picked a pretty good record to represent metal for posterity seeing as this is sometimes the number one voted record on this site.

This recognition would be significant if they chose other band!!! I'm pretty sure any metalhead choice would be different. And as always, they choose the most commercial and sellout band ever! Metallica do not represent the world of heavy music at all.
26.03.2016 - 03:42
SlapTap
Written by MikeVonDoom on 26.03.2016 at 02:47

Written by SlapTap on 25.03.2016 at 18:52

This recognition would be significant if they chose other band!!! I'm pretty sure any metalhead choice would be different. And as always, they choose the most commercial and sellout band ever! Metallica do not represent the world of heavy music at all.

You contradict yourself; of course the most commerically successful metal band of all time DOES indeed represent heavy metal music to the vast majority of listeners. And yet, they didn't choose their most commerically successful record to preserve for posterity (Black Album), but instead chose one of the most consistently regarded metal records ever and one of the top 5 rated records on this very website.

Would people be complaining if they chose any of the other top 10 records voted on this site? Rust in Peace? Number of the Beast? They could've acted like 90% of society and completely snubbed the genre as a whole.
26.03.2016 - 05:13
Shangri-la
Written by Ruchesko on 25.03.2016 at 13:37

Good luck deflating Lars's ego after this.

You do it but putting Rust in Piece and Peace sells in next year so he has to deal with Mustaine's even more inflated ego.

But Yes Rust in Piece should be preserved in a like fashion.
26.03.2016 - 12:33
Wow, I am shocked by the negativity this action has caused. Metal heads should be happy about this no matter what your CURRENT opinion of Metallica is.
And for the record, in 1986 when this release came out, Metallica epitomized heavy metal. If you are too young or too blind to see that then your metal credibility should be questioned.
Great album, great band, & great move.
26.03.2016 - 17:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by SlapTap on 26.03.2016 at 03:42

You contradict yourself; of course the most commerically successful metal band of all time DOES indeed represent heavy metal music to the vast majority of listeners. And yet, they didn't choose their most commerically successful record to preserve for posterity (Black Album), but instead chose one of the most consistently regarded metal records ever and one of the top 5 rated records on this very website.

Would people be complaining if they chose any of the other top 10 records voted on this site? Rust in Peace? Number of the Beast? They could've acted like 90% of society and completely snubbed the genre as a whole.

I'm with you. I don't get why people are so upset. They chose Puppetz over Lightning? Like it fucking matters. They didn't choose the black album, that's huge. And why the fuck wouldn't they choose the biggest metal band on the planet with a classic record from their golden years? Or do people actually expect the US Library of Congress to nominate one of those many classic albums by a band that only metalheads have heard about?
----
26.03.2016 - 18:42
MikeVonDoom
It's because of comments like the ones seen here that I hate this band and their so called fans! HEAR ME YOU IDIOTS: YOU ARE A BUNCH OF HYPOCRITICAL ASSHOLES! Metallica doesn't care about you anymore, they don't give a fuck about you!!
26.03.2016 - 20:57
mikeprado30
So many crying babies around...

I consider fair for this album to enter there. I hope also in a future Number of the Beast and Brittish Steel (some examples) will do it also.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
27.03.2016 - 03:48
SlapTap
Written by MikeVonDoom on 26.03.2016 at 18:42

It's because of comments like the ones seen here that I hate this band and their so called fans! HEAR ME YOU IDIOTS: YOU ARE A BUNCH OF HYPOCRITICAL ASSHOLES! Metallica doesn't care about you anymore, they don't give a fuck about you!!

To resort to name-calling does nothing for your argument or credibility. You didn't even address any of the counterpoints to your thin argument.

Regardless of your opinion of Metallica's output since then, they treat their fans a LOT better than some of the giants of metal or the music industry at large. Your posts read like nothing more than thinly veiled elitism.
27.03.2016 - 04:04
SlapTap
Written by mikeprado30 on 26.03.2016 at 20:57

So many crying babies around...

I consider fair for this album to enter there. I hope also in a future Number of the Beast and Brittish Steel (some examples) will do it also.

It's hard to think of another band that would get such a nod by the Library of Congress, it would inevitably be one of the big leagues (without screaming vocals). Maiden and Priest certainly fit that bill, but I think Sabbath's Paranoid would be a most likely candidate, not only for being their most popular album but for Sabbath being the progenitors of the genre. I honestly think they'd avoid Megadeth on name alone, which is a shame. As somebody mentioned, Rust in Peace is right up there.
27.03.2016 - 09:40
Lord_Regnier
Why so much complaining about this? This is only one more example of Metal seen through the eyes of the mainstream population. What do you expect really?

Real metalheads (I mean not those who only know the more mainstream bands or care only for those bands or people who consider themselves as metal fans only because they listen to a few mainstream Metal bands) should simply not give a fuck at this kind of mainstream things.
Of course they will choose a band like Metallica. They probably never heard about Metal bands, outside of the more mainstream ones.

I draw a line between mainstream Metal and less known stuff long ago. But let's face it: the vast majority of people have a vision of Metal that is limited to the more mainstream bands. Few people dig deeper than that and have a more extended vision. I can't count the times I discussed Metal music with people who call themselves metalheads but never even heard of bands like Kreator, Nile or Bathory.

There is Metal and there is mainstream Metal. And for most people, mainstream Metal is the only Metal they know and heard of. You can't change that and complaining about it is useless. You just need to understand the difference.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.03.2016 - 10:46
Lord_Regnier
Written by MikeVonDoom on 26.03.2016 at 02:47

I have no problem with this recognition because I understand it and because I don't care anyway for mainstream things like that. Metallica is the most well-known and mainstream Metal band, so it is logical that people who are not necessarily Metal fans will give them the award. And the influence of this record cannot be denied, no matter if I like it or not (for the records, I never liked it at all). You can't expect otherwise, really.

That being said, I can also understand your frustration to some degree. I'm sick of hearing about Metallica everywhere myself. They are the most commercial and sold out band you can imagine. They don't even need to do things for money these days because they made so much money by selling out with the black album. They haven't even released a decent album after 1988. For me, Metallica is the exact opposite of what Metal really is and the perfect example of everything I find wrong about mainstream Metal. An old band that lives only on its past, like so many 80's bands. There are countless Metal bands much better than them nowadays.
Even when they were at their prime, there were many bands much better than them, if you ask me.

You say that Metallica do not represent the world of heavy music at all. They represent the world of mainstream Metal. They don't represent the world of extreme or underground Metal for sure.
----
27.03.2016 - 21:17
MyNameJeff
This is great news for the metal community. This album is absolutely PHENOMENAL and no one cares about your stupid opinions about which band deserves it more and whether "Metall1ca suckzzz" today. This album changed the metal music that you enjoy today. A truly timeless album (and the last one with Cliff). Also, RTL didn't have the impact of this album, nor did any Megadeth album, so get over yourself.
27.03.2016 - 23:38
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by MyNameJeff on 27.03.2016 at 21:17

This is great news for the metal community. This album is absolutely PHENOMENAL and no one cares about your stupid opinions about which band deserves it more and whether "Metall1ca suckzzz" today. This album changed the metal music that you enjoy today. A truly timeless album (and the last one with Cliff). Also, RTL didn't have the impact of this album, nor did any Megadeth album, so get over yourself.

RTL was the album that changed everything as far as I'm concerned. MOP was just their breakthrough, as some people said.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
27.03.2016 - 23:47
mikeprado30
Sometimes I think those moron attitudes towards topics like this one is the things getting some people away from the genre.

As the former boss of my brother said: nowadays' Metalheads just live for complaining about music, 70's and 80's rockers just enjoyed the music.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
28.03.2016 - 01:06
Lord_Regnier
Written by MyNameJeff on 27.03.2016 at 21:17

This is great news for the metal community.

Only for those who think Metal should care for mainstream recognition.
Personnally, I think Metal should stay away from the mainstream as much as possible.
That's one thing I find wrong with mainstream Metal: how it so desperately tries to please people, instead of making the music you really believe in and forget about the rest.
----
28.03.2016 - 05:01
SlapTap
To discount a record as great as Master of Puppets just because the band went on to be a mainstream success is just too bad for you, dude. That's like forgetting about Morbid Tales because the same band released Cold Lake. And just because a record or band is successful doesn't automatically make them shit.
28.03.2016 - 05:03
SlapTap
Written by mikeprado30 on 27.03.2016 at 23:47

Sometimes I think those moron attitudes towards topics like this one is the things getting some people away from the genre.

As the former boss of my brother said: nowadays' Metalheads just live for complaining about music, 70's and 80's rockers just enjoyed the music.

Damn straight, way too much negativity these days. I guess you could just say that about the world in general, but metal is supposed to be an escape from real world shit and a celebration of a wonderful art form. People who try to ruin it with their elitist holier-than-thou attitudes can piss off. This isn't your super secret club. It's a world phenomenon.
28.03.2016 - 08:18
Lord_Regnier
Written by SlapTap on 28.03.2016 at 05:01

To discount a record as great as Master of Puppets just because the band went on to be a mainstream success is just too bad for you, dude. That's like forgetting about Morbid Tales because the same band released Cold Lake. And just because a record or band is successful doesn't automatically make them shit.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that there are people who simply don't like this album at all and never liked it? And that this is the case for every famous album, movie, game, book and so on?
Only because the majority seems to like something doesn't mean that there can't be people who genuinely don't like it. In my case I like what I like, that's all. I don't care if the majority agrees or not. I'm old enough to make my own choices and assume them. For some people, it seems if you don't like something popular, you are abnormal. Tastes are personal, not universal.

I agree however that someone who liked the album in the 80's but would dimiss it today because of what the band became would be hypocritical and wrong. For example, I dislike both Slayer and Iron Maiden nowadays but I still regard their 80's albums as great and would never dismiss them.
Metallica is a different case for me. I never liked the band and I never liked their albums.

"And just because a record or band is successful doesn't automatically make them shit."
True. But it doesn't make them automatically good either.
----

Hits total: 3366 | This month: 12