09. Fade To Black [Live at Rasputin Music]
10. Jump In The Fire [Live at Rasputin Music]
11. For Whom The Bell Tolls [Live at Rasputin Music]
12. Creeping Death [Live at Rasputin Music]
13. Metal Militia [Live at Rasputin Music]
14. Hardwired [Live in Minneapolis]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2016

Additional info
Produced by Greg Fidelman, James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Is Metallica back? Nah. Is Metallica less gone? Yeah, sure.

Read more ››
published 27.11.2016 | Comments (30)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Metallica face a rare challenge that few bands experience; when you set the high standard for a whole genre, one that many bands and fans measure against, it is a sharp double-edged sword for the band, as all future releases will be expected to match such lofty heights. It is with this blade the band fall upon their sword with Hardwired?, an album that is quite strong but nowhere near the highs the band have hit previously.

Read more ››
published 16.04.2020 | Comments (0)

Found in 41 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 143   Visited by: 2033 users
21.11.2016 - 08:36
Rating: 4
Athropos
Burning inside
Couldn't listen 'til the end. Too long, too boring, no memorable moment. Death Magnetic was way superior to this.
21.11.2016 - 08:58
Rating: 7
Nicko's Nose
Written by Athropos on 21.11.2016 at 08:36

Couldn't listen 'til the end.

Too bad considering the last song is one of the top 3 best songs on the album.
21.11.2016 - 09:06
Athropos
Burning inside
Written by Nicko's Nose on 21.11.2016 at 08:58

Too bad considering the last song is one of the top 3 best songs on the album.

I know, I listened to that one separately since everyone was talking about it. It's not as bad as the other ones, but to me it's average at best and is not enough to influence the global rating. I really got bored while listening to the album, and that's generally not a good thing.
21.11.2016 - 12:04
Rating: 6
X-FrEaK
Well...someone said that people throw out the sentence "uninspired solos" for no reason. My reply to that is for those people to go and listen to old Metallica/Megadeth/Iron Maiden and listen to those same bands nowadays. Then you will understand that sentence

As for the album...yes...uninspired solos, but the bigger problem is that it aint nothing special. As someone pointed out, I was listening to it while working and full songs would just play without me even noticing they changed, that is a very bad sign.

Death Magnetic was better
----
21.11.2016 - 19:33
Rating: 8
In Bone Factory
Give this album a second or third chance. At first I felt so dissappointed and considered it as a bad copy of Load and Reload but after listening for the second time I told myself: Thats not that bad. and I really enjoyed it.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
22.11.2016 - 14:52
kam1kaze
Not bad, but still preferring Death Magnetic of the new albums from Metallica
22.11.2016 - 22:43
Rating: 5
Pikemaster
Written by Tiago Rocha on 18.11.2016 at 17:22

Lifeless record. Listening to this I still see potential in Robert, Kirk and James. Lars is a dragger and a problem.

Yup, drums are mixed way too loud like on Death Magnetic. They sound so dull and dead.
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
23.11.2016 - 17:37
Andresopeth
I don't see bigger problems with this album, songs are very good, well I do not live in a Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, Kill'em All era, I enjoy those albums to death and understand that was 30 fucking years ago!!!

Now in the present those guys keep writing good music.

The only thing I see as a problem for this album and can be also problematic for any upcoming, is the lack of complexity on drumming, I think Lars is old and is not capable of much more, There are several good songs that can be outstanding with a higher level in the drums... is a shame.
23.11.2016 - 18:15
Id rather listen to kill em all than this new... fucking Brutal will always be the most better u know ive rated this new one 5
i think its fair for rating this new album like me
Devil fucking Horns Up for Pure Metal
24.11.2016 - 10:40
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Ancient Apophis on 23.11.2016 at 18:15

Id rather listen to kill em all than this new... fucking Brutal will always be the most better u know ive rated this new one 5
i think its fair for rating this new album like me

Quite questionable in your content, dude.

First of all, why the hell you comparing with a record that's been released 30 yrs back?!

Secondly, what the fuck is pure metal?!
24.11.2016 - 14:37
Morbidron
Account deleted
Another mediocre, forced-sounding album from one of the greatest bands ever... I'm lost for words. They keep disappointing me...
24.11.2016 - 19:59
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 24.11.2016 at 10:40

Secondly, what the fuck is pure metal?!

I was about to ask the same question when I saw that comment.
24.11.2016 - 20:52
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Every song should've been like Hardwired, seriously. Too much midpaced rock-ish parts here that are too reminiscent of their post-Ajfa era.
25.11.2016 - 09:23
Written by Ancient Apophis on 23.11.2016 at 18:15

Stop with the elitist metalhead thing already
25.11.2016 - 11:57
Sword_Chant
It's not terrible, it has their name written all over it and at least the energy and heaviness is present with a few fast paced songs. It sounds too much like Death Magnetic at times though, which was mediocre at best.
25.11.2016 - 14:55
joshsteph
It all went good 'till Halo On Fire, then the songs became very Load - Reloadish. Spit Out The Bone managed to put the album back on track for my ears. As many said before, this could have been an amazing 8-9 song album, but this way half of it it's just monotony, pointless musical wanking. Obviously it's hard or nearly impossible to get another MOP/RTL/KEA from them, but after all these years they're still going strong. The band itself is older than me, so props for this try to them. Good album. 60% of it is excellent.
26.11.2016 - 15:07
SatanSon
Okay. Metallica stopped making good music after the Black Album. From there it went all the way down. We keep on buying there stuff because it is Metallica and we love them. This new album is a result of a long time of live concerts and that they forgot that they have to make a new album and quickly put something together. Just like Load, Reload, Garage Inc, St Anger, Death Magnet, Lulu, I will listen to it once or twice and then it will end up in my box of not so great Albums getting old and dirty. I buy it because I love Metallica and they for me are the greatest inspiration of modern Heavy / Speed Metal.
27.11.2016 - 18:15
cjs675
Holy amazeballs< Pappa Het sounds like Pappa Het >>> 25 years, worth the wait!!
----
Ever seen a motorcycle parked outside a shrinks office????
27.11.2016 - 22:36
Rating: 10
achil
Spit out the bone, what the f..., i think that went back in time, amazing song, pure thrash, we have a long time to hear this kind of music from metallica. The album is very good (it will be better if was 8 tracks in one cd). The first cd has a 5 out of 6 great songs with moth in flame and atlas my favorites, the second has 3 out of 6 great songs with spit out the bone and manunkind the best, james is amazing, kirk too. Most important , i think, is that the band is 33 years in discography and despite their age the kick it off!!
27.11.2016 - 23:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have been spinning new Sucktallica album on spotify , actually its pretty good, its one of those what you can spin and spin, back to roots, garage days, more garage punk whit a bit metal elements if we look at song lenght, thing what is missing long hair, letter jackets, dirty garage whit emthy beer cans everywhere, stinky smell of cigarettes and well only good thing is good master here, otherwise its smells like teen spirit, old good garage days, beck to the damn roots, almost every song is good. Whats wrong whit em after black album sucktallica, before metallia, anyway decent album, but sad fan boys and girls will overate it.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.11.2016 - 02:34
Ganondox
A new Metallica album which doesn't suck, I was pleasantly surprised.
28.11.2016 - 03:08
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Moth Into Flame must be their first good song in a loooooooooooooooooooooong time.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
28.11.2016 - 11:09
Rating: 3
SSM
Massacred
It's interesting that here on MS we have 2.1 on Lulu, then this is around 7, when both I think are around 3 to 6.
Not that I care that much about rating, but it's an interesting point how popular is Metallica recycled riffs and pumped-up "heavy" or "speedy" stuff trying to make an album, with almost zero quality lyrical content (repeating super generic words, content and phrases: "Gone insane" - "He haunts you" - ...), generic as hell drumming, generic guitar works and structures for most of the album.

Why these guitar solos? They're way too unrelated to the overall song on most songs, which is not that new if you think about it.

And what the hell is that chorus on "Here Comes Revenge"? The verses are the greatest moments on this album, but that chorus and guitar solo ruins it all.
Overall I think this album doesn't have even a single good song, every one has some extra moments and the overall duration is unbearable; some are better, some are worse.

But I think the worst thing is the production, "loud" and compressed as hell, which make it sounds boring after two listens.
Producers/mixers, this isn't electronic pop music (which can be good in it's own realm), we need some dynamics for instruments (specially drums), for example just play "Jihad" by Slayer right after listening to this album, it's still loud and way too produced compared to 1980's but you're not feeling overwhelmed by constant crash/hi-hat works and the guitars have some "tone" left. Although I have to admit, this was not a surprise at all after St. Anger and Death Magnetic.
And I think the song structures/songwriting goes hand to hand with production to make this record more mediocre and "meh", sometimes even hard to listen to, after all, you can always die out of boredom!

"Moth Into Flame", "Spit Out The Bone" and maybe one or two songs were not bad to listen once or twice, but beyond that? I sincerely doubt that.

Edit: Hetfield's vocals... amazing! Wish that he could use it somewhere that it counts.
28.11.2016 - 17:09
metalbrat
Guys if you don't rate any metallic album less than 6, you will be considered as 'less metallic'...and I am f@#$ing sure whoever has rated them less are listening to this album even inside loo. For me they were, they are and they will ever be the metal gods. I don't give a shit on your ratings...your ratings sucks. Some morons are even trying to compare this album with the one which released 30 years back!!!. Hail Metallica.:banger2:
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
28.11.2016 - 17:34
Mik
Account deleted
Written by metalbrat on 28.11.2016 at 17:09

Guys if you don't rate any metallic album less than 6, you will be considered as 'less metallic'...and I am f@#$ing sure whoever has rated them less are listening to this album even inside loo. For me they were, they are and they will ever be the metal gods. I don't give a shit on your ratings...your ratings sucks. Some morons are even trying to compare this album with the one which released 30 years back!!!. Hail Metallica.:banger2:

What is wrong with comparing it to their best works? Thats a completely normal thing to do.
29.11.2016 - 07:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
That's what i call an honest opinion coming from gentleman's heart.
30.11.2016 - 08:27
Athropos
Burning inside
Written by SSM on 28.11.2016 at 11:09

But I think the worst thing is the production, "loud" and compressed as hell, which make it sounds boring after two listens.
Producers/mixers, this isn't electronic pop music (which can be good in it's own realm), we need some dynamics for instruments (specially drums), for example just play "Jihad" by Slayer right after listening to this album, it's still loud and way too produced compared to 1980's but you're not feeling overwhelmed by constant crash/hi-hat works and the guitars have some "tone" left. Although I have to admit, this was not a surprise at all after St. Anger and Death Magnetic.

In case you're not aware of its existence, there's a way better produced version of DM coming from the Guitar Hero game. You can easily find it on the Internet. It's when I discovered this version that I started to like DM.
03.12.2016 - 06:36
mikeprado30
This one is like "Black Album meets Thrash Metal era" or "so it would sound Black Album if it would have some Thrash Metal essence".

Not bad album, but I like much more Death Magnetic.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
04.12.2016 - 15:54
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
After some listenings, in my opinion i would have removed from the album Am I Savage? and Murder One clearly, and bring Lords Of Summer. On the contrary, i like all songs in the first cd, but my favorite is Spit Out The Bone, yeah! great song, and i can see some influences from Ghost on Halo On Fire =)

Crushed under heavy skies, Atlas, rise!!
05.12.2016 - 00:04
kingeryck
Yawn

Hits total: 40930 | This month: 99