Metal Storm logo
Who should add bands to the MS database?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 19.09.2016 - 13:06
This website is killing itself. The forum is dead already. There are probably a lot of metalheads like myself who like to post but dont find any topics worthy of a post. When I find a album I like its good to discuss that with other metalheads. And there is a shitload of albums that comes out each day - metal moves fast, but we cant discuss it here. The problem is that only staff here are worthy of adding bands. And the times when users looked up to staff and carefully listened to what bands they thought was good is probaly long gone... The bands that get added here at the moment are mostly pure shit - symphonic blabla or some unsigned heavy metal from the 80s.

My guess is that forum activity would rise if all users could add bands. It would probably be some trolling and even more shit bands but at least the forum activity would rise. And mostly important we would have the best bands here. So whats your oppinion? Is it good now when some obscure staff person adds the bands or should everyone, the users, be able to add bands? Or are there any other options? Discuss.

Poll

Who should add bands to the MS database?

Staff
Users

Total votes: 51
22.09.2016 - 09:30
Paz
Elite
Zep speaks the truth. Making some legit database is a pain in the ass and takes a lot of time. That's why I rarely contribute these days.
22.09.2016 - 11:04
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Zep has a point.

Everyone(with that means permitted users) starts chipping in to db activities, it will really help out in managing db. One person can't hold the responsibility and manage tasks which can be easily done by other users who willingly to contribute towards database activities.
22.09.2016 - 11:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by psykometal on 22.09.2016 at 06:09

As OBC stated (just not in so few words), we've always been about quality over quantity. If you want a shitload of info (regardless of completeness or accuracy), then MA is where you should be looking. Many people forget that MS is not a database site, but an ezine with a database feature; key/operative word being a database FEATURE.

I can attest that I have personally tried and tested several users over the last couple of years, trying to bolster our database team, and every single one lost focus/interest and gave up within days/weeks of working in our database. The reason MA is so large is because they have tens of thousands of users submitting one or two things to various bands here and there, whereas we only have maybe a dozen users who are actually actively interested in helping work in our database, and even those dozen people are still really only interested in doing it part time at their leisure, which their whim typically dictates only ever so often, and only ever certain aspects of profiles (like only albums or only musicians). What we need are people interested in doing the whole enchilada, and there's only really a couple of people interested in doing such a thing.

I've not been around too whole hell of a lot lately, but if you are genuinely interested in helping out with full band profiles, which does include actually doing legitimate, journalist-style research into the band's complete history (which does include doing things like spending hours pouring over other news sites AND pouring over interviews and album reviews for every scrap of info you can find for that one single band) to insure quality over quantity, then hit me up in PM, or on Facebook, and I'll give you a shot. But if all you want to do is add bands and copy/paste whatever MA and Wikipedia have on said band(s), then don't even bother wasting my time or yours because I'll figure out what kind of person you are and drop you like bag of lead plates long before you've even realized that I've figured you out.

Most people think that working in a proper historical database is like simple data entry, but, realistically, proper databasing is more akin to journalism because you have to actually be willing to do research, and sometimes even contact bands to confirm or request information, not just enter mass quantities of data that some other tool has already compiled.

Bumping this post.because it was the last on the previous page.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2016 - 12:26
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
One more point I would like to bring forward(if its relevant then it might help making neat and clean db).

No matter who controls or how many of us will contribute towards database, it will all come down to "sources". You should be initially very well cleared about sources Metal Storm accepts and then think about contributing to database later on. One of the most important thing to manage database is to refrained from errors.I believe people still not going our FAQ's/Rules to add/edit/submit information about any bands and they just blindly gives us unofficial sources. As Zep said, you need to be good in research. That will take your time a lot. If not been able to done by you, look at the musicians who submit edits of own band and gives us legit sources(which we don't need to further cross-check). If they can follow our rules, why not you?!

No problem with minor glitches as it can be rectified but firing rockets of unofficial sources on our way for different submissions won't make you a better contributor. Rest everything is been cleared out.
23.09.2016 - 01:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 22.09.2016 at 06:32

Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.09.2016 at 13:36

What is really needed, in the wake of Troy and then Johan disappearing from the site, is a new Database Manager. We're working on it.

What is actually needed, more than just a single Database Manager, are more people like Edgar, Haris and Janne who want to dedicate/devote some of their time to doing legitimate database work.

Part of why this site can't ever seem to keep a Database Manager for very long is because once you agree to take that title and be that role, then suddenly all of the users and all of Staff expect that one single person to do and shoulder EVERYTHING. And people just don't seem to realize or understand that's a lot of fucking responsibility and pressure for one single person. Which is why I stepped away from it, and now basically just kind of half-assedly monitor and instruct Edgar and Haris from time to time, and why I've been very reluctant to even consider assuming the role again.

Bottom line is we need more workers more than we need a manager to manage our currently minuscule "work force".

who the hack is Janne? I assume since its Finnish name its Array right
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.09.2016 - 01:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If anybody want to know what actually are like work on MS databse, try ms award bands specially those core and modern ones what never put effort on bio, line up and please don't change bio because myspace is dead, old bio is good if it comes from old myspace
basically you need hours to fix band, and those hours brains lost focus shift and Lex sends me PM and says I make error, yes error happens if you need add tons of bands, fix info, bio line up
Hours means, basic profile is OK, but bio, then albums, but line up, demos are pain in the ass unless band don't list all former, sometimes google 30th page has good damn int what confirms, Pm band, send email, facebook them, comment on wall, like I said I fixed 100 errors based from MA here what band confirmed its fucked up.
Int in another languages, google translate can be good,

So its not ewasy and like Lex told, we need 5-10 what works om DB
I fixed blank profiles, add years, genres, FB links, so no more bands what has no genre, country or Fb (if band has) ok US bands left but I have fixed and sorry people its not easy.
----

apos;'
[image]
23.09.2016 - 05:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Paz on 22.09.2016 at 09:30

Zep speaks the truth. Making some legit database is a pain in the ass and takes a lot of time. That's why I rarely contribute these days.

Sorry if the expectations dissuaded you from being more active in it, but still THANK YOU for the stuff you do when you do it. Every little bit helps!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

23.09.2016 - 05:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.09.2016 at 11:50

Bumping this post.because it was the last on the previous page.

Thanks for bumping this to increase exposure!
----

23.09.2016 - 05:56
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Bad English on 23.09.2016 at 01:18

who the hack is Janne? I assume since its Finnish name its Array right

Yes, Janne is/was Array. I had high hopes for him. It's a real shame some people were more interested in brow-beating him over genre specifics and ran him off instead of just leaving him be since he was a db MACHINE (like I used to be)...
----

23.09.2016 - 14:11
cobrapel
Concept One
Written by psykometal on 22.09.2016 at 06:09

As OBC stated (just not in so few words), we've always been about quality over quantity. If you want a shitload of info (regardless of completeness or accuracy), then MA is where you should be looking. Many people forget that MS is not a database site, but an ezine with a database feature; key/operative word being a database FEATURE.

MS is a webzine and not an flat archive, but the actual system (reviews, staff picks, awards, top lists, ratings, top albums, etc. etc.) make it a great tool to find out new bands, i guess. This is the biggest peculiarity of the site. So it should give more chance to be added to the suggested band that competely fit the MS requirements (full lenght, clearly metal approach), as invisible band at least.
Now for the unknown bands that chance is close to 0, and it doesn't mean these bands have less-quality than famous ones.
An invisible profile with only albums and musicians it's not a shitload start, if i (like a generic user) enjoy an invisible band i am more interested to try to complete its profile (following official sources, of course) with news, gigs, bio, video, trivia etc. etc.
"Important" bands will be visible without great efforts; shitty bands will never be visible, but users interested in will have possibility to discuss about their albums more easly, using "comments on album" in band page.
However, i like MS as it is now.
23.09.2016 - 14:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by psykometal on 23.09.2016 at 05:56

over genre specifics

That was regarding the MS Awards. Nothing to do with his work on the database. And that's when he threw his toys out of the pram because quite a few people didn't agree with him. Sorry, but if one can't take criticism then...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2016 - 14:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So that's why he nuked his account.
23.09.2016 - 15:09
Paz
Elite
Wow, this seems like an overreaction...
23.09.2016 - 15:41
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I vaguely remember a contributor guy named Array... Wow, deleted acc because of genre discussion?
Well, it is a very important matter though *snicker*
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
25.09.2016 - 14:18
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I don't remember anything about that Array guy at all but that I've seen a profile in that name.

Don't know who Haris is either. The only two people whom I see being really busy with the album DB these days are Edgar(Bad English) and Cynic.
25.09.2016 - 15:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Getting the feeling we've seen the last of Lucifer o' Gayness
25.09.2016 - 15:48
Paz
Elite
Written by Author on 25.09.2016 at 15:40

Getting the feeling we've seen the last of Lucifer o' Gayness

What do you mean by that? He is on his Asymmetry Festival trip in Poland right now.
25.09.2016 - 15:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 25.09.2016 at 15:48

What do you mean by that? He is on his Asymmetry Festival trip in Poland right now.

Ah didn't know that. He hadn't visited the thread in 5 days and he's usually pretty active.
25.09.2016 - 15:55
Paz
Elite
Written by Author on 25.09.2016 at 15:49

Ah didn't know that. He hadn't visited the thread in 5 days and he's usually pretty active.

The fest ended yesterday. He'll be back soon
25.09.2016 - 15:56
Paz
Elite
Written by 3rdWorld on 25.09.2016 at 14:18

Don't know who Haris is either.

nicaZe is not an active member in the forum, but is doing a great job.
25.09.2016 - 16:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 25.09.2016 at 15:55

The fest ended yesterday. He'll be back soon

Well he's going to have a lot to reply to lel
25.09.2016 - 16:00
3rdWorld
China was a neat
@Paz Nice to know.
25.09.2016 - 19:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 3rdWorld on 25.09.2016 at 16:00

@Paz Nice to know.

you still have not gave me list whit 10 bands

and Janne aka Array was good db edditer and he was old school as WWS, Abral and that type of old farts were
----

apos;'
[image]
25.09.2016 - 19:51
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Bad English on 25.09.2016 at 19:39

What 10 bands?
25.09.2016 - 19:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 3rdWorld on 25.09.2016 at 19:51

Written by Bad English on 25.09.2016 at 19:39

What 10 bands?

You complained, I asked you somewhere ein my post here that you give me 10 band list what you wanna that must be add in MS
----

apos;'
[image]
25.09.2016 - 19:53
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Bad English on 25.09.2016 at 19:51

You complained

When and where?
25.09.2016 - 19:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 3rdWorld on 25.09.2016 at 19:53

Written by Bad English on 25.09.2016 at 19:51

You complained

When and where?

post 10 bands here what you think must be add, I will analyze them and give my professional judgment
just type name s
----

apos;'
[image]
25.09.2016 - 20:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
BE... I think you might be mistaking him and Gayness here...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
25.09.2016 - 20:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 25.09.2016 at 20:15

BE... I think you might be mistaking him and Gayness here...

shit, indeed
----

apos;'
[image]
25.09.2016 - 20:21
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Go home, you drunk bastard.