10. Era
11. Persephone (Slight Return)

Disc II [limited edition bonus disc]
01. The Ward
02. Spring MCMLXXIV
03. Cusp Of Eternity [live]
04. The Drapery Falls [live]
05. Voice Of Treason [live]

When a trailblazing monster of a cult act turns into a '70s prog tribute band, there's surely going to be some backlash. Opeth have been getting loads of backlash (deserved and not) since 2011's Heritage. I have no doubt that Sorceress will be met by many with at least the same amount of hostility. Whether or not it's justified is a different story; let's see how different they are.

Variety has always been Opeth's main strength, so it's no surprise that nuanced and sometimes surprising songwriting is still present. There is so much going on within some songs that it's easy to lose track of which song is playing if your thoughts trail off for a minute. The band still can, most of the time, coalesce numerous contrasting passages into a cohesive composition ("Strange Brew", "The Wilde Flowers"). This applies to most of the long songs here, but not all of them are so masterfully crafted. The annoying beginning of "Sorceress" and the meandering ending of "The Seventh Sojourn" are the best examples of questionable composing choices.

I can't shake off the feeling that Opeth have lost some of their knack for finesse and dainty songwriting that shines so brightly on Pale Communion in songs like "Voice Of Treason" or "Faith In Others", to name a few. No song on Sorceress, however good, comes close to the adroit brilliance of the best songs from the previous release. Speaking of great songs, "Chrysalis" is a sure shot for all fans of old Opeth. Style- and mood-wise, it could easily fit on their older albums. Minus the growls, of course.

The number of progressive influences that can be heard on the album is overwhelming. Even somebody who has only fleetingly glanced at the prog scene of the 1970s will hear that the sorceress has concocted a strange brew made of numerous ingredients from that era. All those influences stick out, like all song titles that I ungracefully crammed into that last sentence.

This review would be incomplete without a word about the production. I have no idea how Opeth could let this out in the world. The sound of the bass guitar, or whatever it is that sounds so thundering, overshadows all other instruments and vocals. Everything else sounds muffled in comparison. The sorceress conjured up 56 minutes of aural suckage.

As much as I love Pale Communion and like Sorceress, I can't understand why Opeth chose to shed their unique style and don the apparel of a copycat. They are still a bunch of amazingly talented musicians, but now, instead of making their own music, they rehash ideas that are 40 years old. If for you Opeth ended on Watershed, you can give this album a miss. Just listen to "Chrysalis". Everyone else - you might be pleased, but I'm not sure you will be amazed.

Written on 03.10.2016 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Comments

Comments: 39   Visited by: 673 users
03.10.2016 - 11:28
Rating: 6
qnick90
Yeah that pretty much sums up my feelings about this album - Big fan of their "Progdeathwhateveritis" style, but not so angry about lack of growls as some people. Heritage was dissapointment beacuse of its inncosistense-failed experiment feeling, while after listening to Palce Communion I was like "Wow, ok, now I get it - they never be like they used to be, but nevertheless it is top quality music." But with Sorceress... It is meh prog rock taken/stolen from 70s and various musicians from that era made it much better... and the horrible production.
Take the benighted song for comparision - Mikael stole the first riff from the Camel, yet he managed to alter/compose/improve - whatever the main idea in the way it ended up in pure awesomness.... it just did not felt like he thought "yeah, nobody remembers old progrock these days, so I dont have to try to change it and hipsters would still love it"
It just lacks this "something" he was able to do to recreate the old ideas (metal or non metal) into so awesome mix of styles
03.10.2016 - 16:26
Rating: 7
BlankFile
Opeth´s Prog Rock part III. Heritage was way too slow and sometimes boring. Pale Communion was definitely an improvement, in terms of quality, production and songwriting, but still... Prog Rock, and something apart from what Opeth used to do. I think Sorceress lacks consistency, i don´t like the overpowering of the bass aswell. I think its too much. It overshadows the other instruments. We have good songs such as Chrysalis (the best one for sure), Wilde Flowers, Sorceress... but than we have strange, bland and boring ones such as The Seventh Sojourn, or Persephone (Slight Return), or even The Strange Brew. I really don´t know what to think about that song, really. Even if Opeth remains in the same genre, this release is a letdown comparing to their previous one.

I think we can say for sure that Opeth, is no longer a Metal band.
03.10.2016 - 17:26
Devil Eyes
I've tried and tried to get into the new prog-rock version of Opeth but I just can't do it. To me, it sounds mediocre, watered-down, and like you said, just copies what was done 40 something years ago.

It's sad that they have made this decision to change direction like this, but what can we say about it? They gotta do what they want to do, if they don't want to make metal anymore then so be it, but I for one will not be giving a damn when their next album is announced. In my eyes, they broke up after Watershed, and I'll just have to live with it.
03.10.2016 - 17:28
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by BlankFile on 03.10.2016 at 16:26

Opeth´s Prog Rock part III

I'd be tempted to say Part IV actually, don't forget Damnation. But while that album was actually quite good, the other three have really fallen flat. Not quite sure what they did there that they aren't really doing anymore
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.10.2016 - 17:42
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I liked several songs from this album but it isn't like I am crazy over them either.
----
Christless
03.10.2016 - 18:23
Rating: 6
cobrapel
Concept One
A great progressive metal band, but an average progressive rock gang
03.10.2016 - 19:08
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by cobrapel on 03.10.2016 at 18:23

A great progressive metal band, but an average progressive rock gang

Neither.

Sorceress is nothing but a flying kiss tribute to 70's prog rock which i don't think had require too much efforts while recording.

A terrible prog metal band, but a cut-above average prog rock group.
03.10.2016 - 19:18
Mechaniacal
I loved Wilde Flowers and Strange Brew, but after a few listens, it's an alright album.
03.10.2016 - 20:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If you spend most of a review talking about the things they aren't getting right, doing well or are just plain doing wrong then you probably shouldn't give it a score that's pushing 8 imo.

I listened to Chrysalis (wasn't going to bother with the album). It's not bad, though not sure it would appease older fans at all. It's no Cusp of Eternity either, which is the last great song I heard them write since Watershed.
03.10.2016 - 20:55
3rdWorld
China was a neat
The end of Wilde Flowers shows how desperate they try to sound heavy without going into growls and distorted guitars. Average stuff and a definite down step from PC.
03.10.2016 - 22:13
Rating: 9
onedh
Well, in my opinion Sorceress deserves a 9.5/10. Great songwriting, amazing musicianship.
03.10.2016 - 23:37
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I found Heritage interesting because it was a new direction, at least for them, and while it was a bit plodding and dull at times, it was overall quite a weird and organic album which made it somewhat fun to listen to occasionally. Pale Communion seemed a little more straight-forward by comparison, and though the songwriting on some tracks was better than Heritage's material, I've realized that over time that their second effort with this new sound hasn't held my interest.

I've only listened to a little bit of this album, but it seems to me like they're just going further in the direction of becoming a copycat 70's prog band rather than making the 70's prog sound their own unique thing. Steven Wilson may have done the same with Raven, but I think he did a better job of pulling it off then Opeth has. I'll give the whole thing a listen sometime soon, but at this point I'm not sure I'm going to ever own a copy of this one.
----
03.10.2016 - 23:57
Rating: 8
Tuonelan
8.2 on Prog Archive, where few people are commenting that it's a mere imitation of the bands that they love. I don't think that the band has lost their identity or their focus in the composition so much as they have drifted further from what marked them as a metal band and are exploring new ground that doesn't showcase the sort of composition that is typical of progressive metal as much as it is of some other branches of prog.

I think a 7.7 is a fair rating of it as a prog rock/metal album , though I'd personally rate it higher than that as an album if I'm setting aside my love for the metal they wrote and letting it exist on its own.
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
04.10.2016 - 00:37
wildchild
Warchild
Just listening to Blackwater park here. The music.

And thinking why they are doing these to themselves.
Maybe the parallel projects are draining their creative rage. haha don't know.
This new album did not get me yet.
----
warchildpost.blogspot.com
04.10.2016 - 02:14
BlankFile
Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.10.2016 at 17:28

Written by BlankFile on 03.10.2016 at 16:26

Opeth´s Prog Rock part III

I'd be tempted to say Part IV actually, don't forget Damnation. But while that album was actually quite good, the other three have really fallen flat. Not quite sure what they did there that they aren't really doing anymore

I agree. Damnation has more substance, more meaning and consistency. It´s kind of an experiment aswell, but a really good one.

From the last three albuns, the one that reaches a bit closer to the quality and consistency of Damnation, is definitely Pale Communion.
04.10.2016 - 02:27
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Quote:
Even somebody who has only fleetingly glanced at the prog scene of the 1970s will hear that the sorceress has concocted a strange brew made of numerous ingredients from that era. All those influences stick out, like all song titles that I ungracefully crammed into that last sentence.

Bravo.

It is a tragedy that "The Ward" was not included on the non-deluxe album, such a beautiful song.
04.10.2016 - 13:31
satthia
When the best song is on the bonus CD....
04.10.2016 - 17:23
BlankFile
Ok, after a few more listenings, i really like Strange Brew now.

Even if the bass is overpowering.
04.10.2016 - 20:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Strange Brew - better they should make a cover version from the Cream
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.10.2016 - 22:49
Rating: 10
RyanZaneX
:banger: great album great cover fuck off haters go and listen tech death metal stop bothering opeth fucking losers
04.10.2016 - 22:50
Rating: 10
RyanZaneX
05.10.2016 - 04:19
Crème fraiche
Written by Bad English on 04.10.2016 at 20:04

Strange Brew - better they should make a cover version from the Cream

I thought this was a standout track to be honest. A highlight for me! Saw them live a week ago in Pittsburgh and they still killed it live. Played a good mix of old and new as well. If you don't like the new direction i wholeheartedly understand. Im not blown away by any means, but there are some good tunes here for sure.
05.10.2016 - 12:14
ronster
I thought the album started out ok, the intro track and the first 4 songs are quite good for the new 70's prog based Opeth. After these songs it just slowed right down and didn't really pick up again until parts of the track "Spring MCMLXXIV" which wasnt too much of a pick up... the new Opeth would have fit well in the 1969 Woodstock. I'm going to see them live soon in october and at least they have some songs with growls not like the Heritage tour which was a total yawner ... peace
05.10.2016 - 13:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Excellent review. This one on par with the last two albums and not really my cup of tea, honestly. It's probably inferior to both those albums too.

I remember some stand out tracks but not much else. I don't think I'll go back to it many times.

Opeth, you do your thing but I'd rather listen to other stuff (And before you ask, it has nothing to do with growls whatsoever).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.10.2016 - 15:23
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 05.10.2016 at 13:03

This one on par with the last two albums and not really my cup of tea, honestly. It's probably inferior to both those albums too.

I think it's much better than Heritage, which was disjointed, messy and chaotic. I'd say:
Heritage: 6.0
Pale Communion: 8.8
Sorceress: 7.7
05.10.2016 - 18:09
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Daniell on 05.10.2016 at 15:23

Written by BloodTears on 05.10.2016 at 13:03

This one on par with the last two albums and not really my cup of tea, honestly. It's probably inferior to both those albums too.

I think it's much better than Heritage, which was disjointed, messy and chaotic. I'd say:
Heritage: 6.0
Pale Communion: 8.8
Sorceress: 7.7

I don't know. I was one of the few people who actually kinda liked Heritage. I like Heritage more than Sorceress. Pale Communion is obviously the best out of the three but I liked many songs on Heritage unlike this new one. It was more of a transition album but I think it worked better than this.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.10.2016 - 19:30
Rating: 8
Nimlot
A. Reader
Written by qnick90 on 03.10.2016 at 11:28
It is meh prog rock taken/stolen from 70s

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.10.2016 at 19:08
Sorceress is nothing but a flying kiss tribute to 70's prog

Written by Jaeryd on 03.10.2016 at 23:37
becoming a copycat 70's prog band

Quote:
When a trailblazing monster of a cult act turns into a '70s prog tribute band...Even somebody who has only fleetingly glanced at the prog scene of the 1970s will hear that the sorceress has concocted a strange brew made of numerous ingredients from that era. All those influences stick out, like all song titles that I ungracefully crammed into that last sentence....I can't understand why Opeth chose to shed their unique style and don the apparel of a copycat.

I honestly don't feel like I have even a basic familiarity with 70's prog rock (I like Genesis and Gentle Giant), so I can't hear the brazen copying of old prog bands that seems to be a major criticism here (this doesn't sound like either Genesis or Gentle Giant). I can absolutely hear some Ghost in The Wilde Flowers, but Ghost aren't a 70's prog outfit.

I'd be mighty grateful if someone could point me to some of newOpeth's specific source material.
05.10.2016 - 22:59
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by RyanZaneX on 04.10.2016 at 22:49

:banger: great album great cover fuck off haters go and listen tech death metal stop bothering opeth fucking losers

This is precisely why so many people find Opeth fanboys to be insufferable wieners.

Replace fedoras with Opeth and this is exactly what you sound like.
----
06.10.2016 - 01:49
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Nimlot on 05.10.2016 at 19:30

I honestly don't feel like I have even a basic familiarity with 70's prog rock (I like Genesis and Gentle Giant), so I can't hear the brazen copying of old prog bands that seems to be a major criticism here (this doesn't sound like either Genesis or Gentle Giant). I can absolutely hear some Ghost in The Wilde Flowers, but Ghost aren't a 70's prog outfit.

I'd be mighty grateful if someone could point me to some of newOpeth's specific source material.

It's just an easy criticism for hypocrites who still worship bands that are still doing the same in other genres (I'm looking at you Thrash). They used to be themselves, "Opeth" with sprinklings of classic prog rock influence, now they are just fully involved in the influence side of things and worshiping the music they like versus making their own unique blend. If you listen to Camel (as pointed out earlier in the thread), you will notice some very distinct similarities, but that has been going on since the early albums. It's the absence of their old dynamics that has people pissed, no more growls to counterbalance the beautiful melodies. It just feels empty, although it is still good musically. I love many songs on this album, but as a whole I find a few faults.

I honestly thought a few songs had a very direct Moody Blues influence. Hell, they had an album called Seventh Sojourn (although I thought that track was a lesser interesting version of Closure from Damnation.) The frantic guitar chords of "The Ward" definitely harken back to the Moody Blue's Question. You could find countless other examples of using these influences in similar ways, it's only misdirected anger because everyone just seems to miss the old Opeth that combined influence into a sound of their own.
06.10.2016 - 03:21
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Introspekrieg on 06.10.2016 at 01:49

everyone just seems to miss the old Opeth that combined influence into a sound of their own.

That's precisely my complaint. It's not that the current music is necessarily bad, it's just that they lost everything that made them unique by going down this road, and by continuing on it without adding enough of their own twist to make the sound fully their own.
----

Hits total: 14047 | This month: 42