Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2017

29.11.2016 - 06:23
3rdWorld
China was a neat
You know the drill, recommend me good metal stuff from 2017. Remember this is not a playlist or promotion place, it should be stuff you have HEARD ATLEAST ONCE which means it is not just stuff YOU think is good but something that OTHERS should find good and enjoy as well.

Death metal from Portugal. Sounds more closely to Disma than anything else to my ears. Quite melodic and groovy. It's hard to judge anything from a single but yeah this seems like something that is worth keeping an eye on.

The Ominous Circle - Appalling Ascension

29.11.2016 - 07:07
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"The DEATH METAL juggernaut you have always asked for, a lovecraftian whirlwind of fierceness and nameless demons. Italian finest Death Metal commando at their debut. For fans of Morbid Angel, Vomitory, Maveth and Vader." Juggernaut it is. Quite aggressive brutal death metal. Don't know where the lovecraft inspiration is there except the titles but any amount of it is good. I really like the artwork here anyway.

Maze Of Sothoth - Soul Demise

Melodic progressive/technical metal from UK. This has the djent tag on bandcamp but I didn't really hear much djent in the one track streaming there, probably very slightly present if any. Also it has clean vocals so be forewarned.

RIVIẼRE - Heal

"The lumbering grooves, the transcendent lead work, the emotive vocals, even a newfound swagger, and just the consistently bursting energy across their forlorn stomp...CONDENADOS are reverential of the form, but masters all the same. As such, The Tree of Death is very likely to appeal to fans of classic Candlemass, old Cathedral, the UK's Solstice, compatriots Procession, and even those who worship Bathory's Viking era. And at six songs in a swift 35 minutes, CONDENADOS succinctly make their point and compel repeat spins of The Tree of Death. " Doesn't sound much doom to me but they have really tagged it very properly in bandcamp which defo describes their sound. "Nowbhm", "doom metal" and "heavy metal". The one track is just decent. Let's see how the rest of it turns out to be.

Condenados - The Tree Of Death

And here's something that I haven't even listened at all, mostly because there is nothing streaming from it yet. Supposedly death/thrash/grind from what the tag says.

The Vomiting Dinosaurs - Exoplanet

Other stuff I look forward to:

Acrimonious- They've announced the song titles and that the new album will be released under Daemon Worship Productions. So this is definitely will be a '17 release.

Kal-El - Astrodoomeda - Argonauta records release.

Mangog - Mangog Awakens - Argonauta records release.

Elephant Bell - TBA - Argonauta records release.

De Magia Veterum - Mories recently revealed on his fb page that he was uploading the album master to label (most probably, Crucial Blast). So unless we have an adhoc announcement before the turn of the year, this will mostly be coming out in 17'. Also its been a long time since DMV released anything and with the recent quality of GTT releases, this is defo the need of the hour for the Mories camp.

Immolation - New Immolation is always good. Possibly THE most consistent death metal band ever. Reported here.

Enslaved - This seems way way too soon after their last album but looks like thats how they've been going since their first albums, not more than 2 years between any two releases. Reported here.

Khanus - Untitled release on I, Voidhanger records.

Psudoku - Deep Space Psudokument - The release date announced as of now is December 31, 2037 but considering how total dickish they are, I'd say it'll probably get released in 2017 if it doesn't come out before the turn of this year.

Plus anything that I, Voidhanger records, Iron Bonehead Productions, Crepusculo Negro, Blood Music and Xtreem Music puts out.
29.11.2016 - 13:31
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by 3rdWorld on 29.11.2016 at 07:07

Psudoku - Deep Space Psudokument - The release date announced as of now is December 31, 2037

You need to create another thread for that one, then
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.11.2016 - 13:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by 3rdWorld on 29.11.2016 at 06:23

"The lumbering grooves, the transcendent lead work, the emotive vocals, even a newfound swagger, and just the consistently bursting energy across their forlorn stomp...CONDENADOS are reverential of the form, but masters all the same. As such, The Tree of Death is very likely to appeal to fans of classic Candlemass, old Cathedral, the UK's Solstice, compatriots Procession, and even those who worship Bathory's Viking era. And at six songs in a swift 35 minutes, CONDENADOS succinctly make their point and compel repeat spins of The Tree of Death. " Doesn't sound much doom to me but they have really tagged it very properly in bandcamp which defo describes their sound. "Nowbhm", "doom metal" and "heavy metal". The one track is just decent. Let's see how the rest of it turns out to be.

Condenados - The Tree Of Death

Huh? That track certainly is doom, albeit traditional doom. The description is acutally spot-on. The rest of the album is along the same lines. Nothing shocking, just some decent traditional doom and enjoyable if you're into that sort of thing. Btw the album sounds a lot better soundwise than that bandcamp track. Biggest problem for me are the vocals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.11.2016 - 18:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Alright, I'm not really a expert in discerning doom genres. Thanks for clearing it up Marcel.
29.11.2016 - 18:56
Zap
Pretty sure Psudoku will release their album 31st of December 2016 since the previous album had that same year (2037) as its release date. The day and month ended up being the actual release date.
29.11.2016 - 19:15
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Yeah I remember that was indeed the case with the last album.
29.11.2016 - 19:27
Zap
It makes you wonder what crazy things they're planning for 2037 though.
29.11.2016 - 19:48
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Most probably they(he) would be working on an album for 2077 by that time.
29.11.2016 - 22:51
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Oh yes, Condenados is a great band.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
02.12.2016 - 22:54
Sword_Chant
These are maybe not recommendations, but bands i'm hopeful of to release albums. I think some of these have already been confirmed but i'd like to hear new music from:

Wintersun - Time II (we can be hopeful at least?)
Finntroll
Orden Ogan (last album 'Ravenhead' was brilliant)
Misþyrming
Stratovarius (maybe)
Galneryus (maybe)
Turisas (hopefully much better than Turisas2013 though)
Enslaved
Wilderun
Adagio - Life (already confirmed)
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody
Ghost
Spectral Lore
Helloween
Arch Enemy
Ancient Bards
Darkspace
Elvenking
Dragonforce
Alestorm
Wolves In The Throne Room
Slipknot
Machine Head
Electric Wizard
Sleepmakeswaves
04.12.2016 - 01:42
mz
Endalok will release their first album in 2017. Prepare for some nice psychedelic black from Iceland. One track online for now:
Endalok- Úr Draumheimi Viðurstyggðar

----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
05.12.2016 - 19:36
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Damn, I need to start my 2017 list already?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.12.2016 - 23:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Sword_Chant on 02.12.2016 at 22:54

These are maybe not recommendations, but bands i'm hopeful of to release albums. I think some of these have already been confirmed but i'd like to hear new music from:

Spectral Lore
Darkspace

Ayloss regularly puts out something every year with tons of ep and stuff but frankly I'm only interested in Spectral Lore IV and hope he puts more time and effort into it rather.

Also don't think Darkspace has confirmed or teased anything far as I know, so have you got any source for that cuz I'm really curious and would be exciting but I don't think they might come up with new stuff so soon though.
08.12.2016 - 18:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Dodecahederon album coming out. I ripped their debut album to shreds in a review I did way back. Can't say if the new one will be any better. Sounds like it might be a bit.

08.12.2016 - 19:46
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 08.12.2016 at 18:50

New Dodecahederon album coming out. I ripped their debut album to shreds in a review I did way back. Can't say if the new one will be any better. Sounds like it might be a bit.

They definitely had potential to make good music, so hopefully they've refined their sound to something a bit more unique and interesting
08.12.2016 - 20:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 08.12.2016 at 19:46

They definitely had potential to make good music, so hopefully they've refined their sound to something a bit more unique and interesting

At this point it doesn't sound particularly unique, but on the second playthrough I found I recognised bits of the song, so seems like they've definitely refined things a bit.
10.12.2016 - 00:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Looking into my crystal ball, expecting swell things from The Great Old Ones, Emptiness and Laster.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.12.2016 - 04:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Yes, no doubt new TGOO is gonna be massive. Little bit skeptic about Emptiness due to the massive expectations from their last album.
10.12.2016 - 05:07
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Haven't any of their albums yet but I am aware of their reverence as one of the best symphonic black/nsbm bands. This teaser just looks insanely occult and kvlt-ish. If the album turns out anything as good as the snippets it might be the best symphoblack I've heard since that Fanisk album 3 years back.

Nokturnal Mortum - Істина (Verity)

10.12.2016 - 18:48
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by 3rdWorld on 10.12.2016 at 05:07

Haven't any of their albums yet

Meh, just listen to their last stuff, specially Голос сталі. Then you can forget about Fanisk =p
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.12.2016 - 18:53
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Karlabos on 10.12.2016 at 18:48

Meh, just listen to their last stuff, specially Голос сталі. Then you can forget about Fanisk =p

Hahaha indeed these guys seem to be on an entirely otherworldly level. Will definitely try to check out their earlier stuff.
10.12.2016 - 23:21
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Just one song streaming now which is actually pedestrian sludge but that cover is so fucking awesome I just had to post this. Expect a new album sometime in '17. Hoping the full album is not boring as this track.

Ordos - House Of The Dead

10.12.2016 - 23:35
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Instrumental Stoner from the Swiss band Ephedra. Single from the upcoming album "Can'-Ka No Rey" due for release on Jan 30, 2017. Groovy, thumping and heavy enough. This will be a great start for Argonauta records next year.

16.12.2016 - 20:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"All sounds by maurice. All sounds are made with 100% analogue synths/pedals/noisesynths. Recorded oktober 2016 at Drachten / The Netherlands."

First new Mories stuff to make landfall on 2017. Sounds like his ambient take on this whole silly retrosynth wave. Pretty interesting to say the least.

Offerbeest - Black Teeth

21.12.2016 - 20:47
3rdWorld
China was a neat
You guys didn't find a single '17 release in like nearly 5 days. Ye lazy arseholes.

Anyway, here's some brand new super duper uber-awesome mega-brutal grindcore from the awesome US label Grimoire Records. Streaming full right now at the below link.

The Vomiting Dinosaurs - Exoplanets

23.12.2016 - 17:34
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"100% DIY one-man death-doom destruction straight from the fucking kingdom of the dead. Belgium's Gateway plays sepulchral and bestial death-doom that will rot your mind and batter your flesh. A literal "gateway" to the underworld materialized through a comatose and rotting funeral march deep down into bowels of hades, Gateway's rotting music is an unforgettable sonic stampede delivered through a slow-motion crawl of colossal and mummified death metal riffs that will trample over the listener with the force of a behemoth unleashed from the most slime-ridden crevices of hell. An authentic triumph of rotting riff worship for fans of death-doom legends like Disembowelment, Undergang, Coffins, Winter and Thorr's Hammer."

Another underground monster from the awesome cassette label Sentient Ruin Laboratories, USA.

Gateway - Scriptures Of Grief

23.12.2016 - 17:40
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"Debut album by this italian that plays the purest swedish Death Metal from early 90's in the vein of NIHILIST, CREMATORY, early NECROPHOBIC, CARNAGE... Recorded & mixed at Sunlight Studios!!"

Xtreem Music has now a get go for their stench releasing spree in 2017.

Daemoniac - Spawn Of The Fallen

24.12.2016 - 16:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Melodic black/death from Germany. Could say almost there is little to nil black elements most of the time. The one track streaming is kinda too generic but the artwork kinda draws you to it.

Nyktophobia - Fallen Empire

24.12.2016 - 17:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
^ Yeah that artwork really drew me in, but it seemed super-generic unfortunately. Shame.

Some extremely solid sounding blackened doom with tasteful symphonic / piano elements due for release on the 1st. Whole thing is streamable now though.