03. Imago Mortis
04. Through The Belly Of Damnation
05. 1651
06. Limbs Of Worship
07. Accuser/Opposer [feat. A.A. Nemtheanga]
08. Vanity Of Vanities
09. Womb Of Perishableness
10. Voices From Avignon

Holy shit this is the best Black Metal album this year!!! I don't even want to hear anything else I don't need it, Dimmu Borgir and Rotting Christ? I don't care about their poor albums, who wants a Naglfar CD when you can play Marduk until the moon turns black; nobody will be able to top this incredible record, come on I want to see any band trying, compared to "Rom 5:12" they'll just sound like amateurs at best.

Let's not talk about how "Plague Angel" was soft and kind, let's talk about the crushing facts instead. Finally Mortuus decided to make people forget about Legion's shadow, now the true Marduk comes with a more powerful brain, Mortuus just grew enormously in 3 years time, an amazing task if you consider the eagerness which involved the fans when Legion left the band, now they sound stronger than ever and with an outstanding technical approach.

Versatility is what truly marks this album, the songs come heavy as only hell can be and mild like a machine-gun with a silencer. "Rom 5:12" has both sides sharpened, while some structures fit only with mid-paced riffs there are other tunes that unleash speedy execution and bleeding patterns; the album is incredibly balanced, the songwriting becomes so tight and intensely carved that every song sounds fresher than the previous one, the whole album will keep you ear stamped in the speakers until black blood comes out from them.

The length is somehow annoying though, it's hard to replay one straight hour of music don't you think? Most times you'll find yourself skipping through tracks after the first listen, many of us can't afford "time to spare", and if we can we prefer to have sex while Barry White sings in the background right? Anyway, I also would have loved to see the lyrics, but as I only received a promo I can't say much about the booklet or the lyrical content or whatever...

This is a great album and I don't want to discuss anything else, a total and undeniable must for Black Metal fans...good for any other metal collection. TRY IT WITH HEADPHONES!!!

Best Tracks: "The Levelling Dust", "Imago Mortis"

Just in case people is wondering what "Rom 5:12" is about:

A Quote From The Bible "Romans, chapter 5 verse 12"

"Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death entered through sin, death came to all men, because they all sinned"

...Nice!...

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 11.04.2007

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 263 users
11.04.2007 - 19:37
Kurzag
Account deleted
Sounds interesting, looking forward to it.
11.04.2007 - 19:57
Martinikuss
Written by Guest on 11.04.2007 at 19:37

Sounds interesting, looking forward to it.

"sounds interesting" ?!
Ive heard this album. Its awesome! True Black Metal, not pussy like Dimmu. I 100% agree with the author of that review.
11.04.2007 - 20:17
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
How does this album compare to Panzer Division Marduk?
11.04.2007 - 20:42
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Don't "bunny" too much Rotting Christ's new album ;p

Edited by Jeff
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
11.04.2007 - 20:55
Herzebeth
Written by Dangerboner on 11.04.2007 at 20:17

How does this album compare to Panzer Division Marduk?

to tell you the truth...this one is not as extreme as Panzer Division Marduk, but that's what I like about it, it's more technical and this album knows when to slow things down you know? for me, Panzer Division Marduk is just loud noise .

so, if your favorite marduk album is "Panzer Division Marduk" you won't be blown away by "Rom 5:12" I think.
----
11.04.2007 - 22:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, Marduk tries to be constantly brutal, and since I don't think they are that extreme or heavy, I might like the slight change. It's almost like they're insecure about their evilness, so they try to overdo things. I dunno...I'll probably download it or something.
11.04.2007 - 22:44
dancingdecember
what an inspiring review.i'll absouletly listen it with much anticipation now.and to think that they will probably play here live soon..i'd better listen to it good !! btw i totally agree with the rotting album..dimmu?pff
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
12.04.2007 - 02:23
Rating: 8
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
I have heard this album and the first impression: some good mid tempo titles on this album. A good one.

and @Herzebeth: good review
12.04.2007 - 02:23
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by KwonVerge on 11.04.2007 at 20:42

Don't fuck too much Rotting Christ's new album ;p

Thegonia deserves to be "bunnified" even deeper...

Edited by Jeff
12.04.2007 - 03:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
havnt heard a bad thing about this album yet, I tried to download it but it screwed up, oh well, Ill definitly be buying it when it comes out.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.04.2007 - 03:43
Mental_Orgasm
Account deleted
can't wait to get this, sounds great
12.04.2007 - 07:53
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Written by Guest on 12.04.2007 at 02:23

And i know someone that deserves to be"bunnifiedy" even deeper by any "carrots", but i won't lose my temper and unfold my thoughts on the subject

Edited by Jeff
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
12.04.2007 - 15:51
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Hezerbeth dude , please dont fuck Rotting Christ ... i like them all n yeah Dimmu SUCKSSSSS

n yes as always , kickass review
12.04.2007 - 17:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
First off it is impossible to compare Rotting Vhrst, Naglfar, Dimmu with this one since they are all musically miles apart. But IMO Roting Christ and Watain (also not related) blow Marduk's latest effort right out of the water and into orbit around earth

Okay, seriously now, nah, this one doesn't do it for me either. I would have rated it 7, proficiently played and all, but that's it, like all other Marduk releases it is devout of any feeling.
I agree with you that an hour's worth of music is way too long for a release such as this one.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.04.2007 - 18:33
Herzebeth
well there's more people agreeing that this is a good album than people saying it sucks, that means something, I've never been a fan of this band, but I can surely notice when an album is great you know? IMO this is one of their best efforts

Rotting Christ is out of the question people, ok they were great..I was a fan of Dead Poem and Khronos, but now they just sound mild, bland and very poor in execution, the guy just lost his voice dudes
----
12.04.2007 - 18:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I didn't say this album sucked. I would have given it a 7 and that doesn't mean it sucks

Sorry to burst your bubble concerning Rotting Christ but at least to me and a lot of people I know Theogonia is superior to the way too much gothic inspired Dead Poem, as for the execution the songs on Theogonia are executed in an excellent way, played as tight as a duck's ass and with loads of memorable riffs. This effort is so much more inspired than most of their other stuff. This is acutally the first one I truly like

But back on the Marduk track, average to slightly above average at best this album. More of the same from them, only some very slight differences with earlier material. And wayyyyyy toooooooooooo long.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.04.2007 - 19:03
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Elite
Message to everybody:

If you could try to do your orgy somewhere else and avoid to "fuck" everybody here... it could be great.

Thx you.

Jeff
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
12.04.2007 - 19:34
Damnated
Churchburner
it's defenetly better than the previous works, but it fails to deliver something original and new. shure the songs are somewhat diverse, but it's 2007 for christ's sake, that's not enough. a guitar solo is not enough. clean singing is not enough. it has been done countless times, and it sounded better too. i dunno what's so hard in releasing a good album in every 14 years ...

if they can't bring anything new, then they should die. simply die.

edit: die already!
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.04.2007 - 20:23
Herzebeth
Written by Damnated on 12.04.2007 at 19:34

it's defenetly better than the previous works, but it fails to deliver something original and new. shure the songs are somewhat diverse, but it's 2007 for christ's sake, that's not enough. a guitar solo is not enough. clean singing is not enough. it has been done countless times, and it sounded better too. i dunno what's so hard in releasing a good album in every 14 years ...

if they can't bring anything new, then they should die. simply die.

edit: die already!

oh come on dude! you can't say Marduk isn't fresh, they are a band that transformed their music since the begining...they used to be death metal for crying out loud...this album is versatile as a lettuce man, hear it again you'll see.

clean vocals are gay by the way..
----
12.04.2007 - 22:53
APOHAKC
The Bard
Good review dude but:
Clean vocals are gay?!?
any particular reason for statment like that?
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
13.04.2007 - 00:18
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Herzebeth on 12.04.2007 at 20:23

you can't say Marduk isn't fresh, they are a band that transformed their music since the begining...they used to be death metal for crying out loud...

clean vocals are gay by the way..

i can and Marduk was never fresh. never. They had put out a couple of good releases at the begining, but that's all. and those weren't diverse either, but repetitve as fuck. i'm not saying that the album is bad, it just gets old very quick. it gets old after 10 minutes.

also, i just want to point out how cheap the church choir and the latin chant sound. as if they were recording and watching some catholic show at the same time. those passages are not cohering with the music at all. i bet they were pleased and felt like young pioneers. newsflash: other bands already did this. and did it with style. (ie deathspell omega, rex mundi, kriegsmaschine etcetera)

i like the way this thread is going though now i will go to the other one and post the same thing.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
13.04.2007 - 03:04
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by KwonVerge on 12.04.2007 at 07:53

Written by Guest on 12.04.2007 at 02:23

And i know someone that deserves to be"bunnifiedy" even deeper by any "carrots", but i won't lose my temper and unfold my thoughts on the subject

Edited by Jeff

This rules agains offenfing behaviour are working on my nerves... come on, metal is meant to be offensive!

And it's not my intention to bunnify your national pride DerRozzer, early RT are awesome and so are Varathron, but Thegonia is boring as shit (oh! I said the word with "s"!)
13.04.2007 - 15:58
epip
Account deleted
How would this album fare if it's compared to nightwing? Nightwing is my fav marduk album after all. haha.
13.04.2007 - 19:55
Kataplexi
Account deleted
to me, it's nothing surprising about the album, it sounds marduk, but it didn't get to me at all. they've done too many similar albums, and now it's getting boring.
13.04.2007 - 20:01
Herzebeth
Written by Guest on 13.04.2007 at 15:58

How would this album fare if it's compared to nightwing? Nightwing is my fav marduk album after all. haha.

uhm..damn good question, Nightwing is also my favorite marduk album...uhm...uhm...this one sounds...different, it's less brutal for sure, but it's more technical at least, uhm...let's see, the bottomline is, I love Nightwing for its agression and hostility, I love Rom 5:12 for its mid paced parts and the complex songwriting
----
14.04.2007 - 10:35
epip
Account deleted
Haha. sounds like a good enough answer to my question. I'll try it out either way. haha. Thanks. |m|
16.04.2007 - 06:09
Bitch Boy
A slower and more technical Marduk album?? Sounds very interesting, for sure I will give this one a try.

Written by Jeff on 12.04.2007 at 19:03

Message to everybody:

If you could try to do your orgy somewhere else and avoid to "fuck" everybody here... it could be great.

Thx you.

Jeff

18.04.2007 - 00:39
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
Gotta get this. if it's that good, i got to get this, rly haha, Kvlt Rly! xD Well indeed sounds interesting.
18.04.2007 - 02:10
Mystic Ice
Account deleted
It's actually a surprisingly good album. Mind you I didn't expect utter shit, I was thinking perhaps a high 6 before hearing it. It's more like a mid 7 to low 8. Nothing that is going to change music as we know it or join my personal top 20 albums of all time list, but those are few and far between. People can be too quick to rate overly high or low on impulse but the bottom line is that Rom 5:12 is a very good, enjoyable and well done album that is worth your time and attention... And if you like extreme metal this release will probably get a few regular spins once added to your collection.

Accuser / Opposer was a really unexpected sort of track. In a good way.
24.04.2007 - 09:13
666SETH666
Account deleted
This album is fuckin awesome

Hits total: 9716 | This month: 35