02. Libera (Part II) - Ascent Of Burning Moths
03. Intra Venus
04. Eyrie
05. Urn (Part I) - And Within The Void We Are Breathless
06. Urn (Part II) - As Embers Dance In Our Eyes

The Best Extreme Progressive Metal Album Of 2017
Top 20 albums of 2017: 9

Additional info
Produced by Troy McCosker and ne Obliviscaris.

Group vocals on track 1 by Alana K Vocal, Cory Atkinson, Jacob James, James Wingfield, Alexa Van Blyderveen, Nerrilee Morale, Amy Di Giambattista, Alex Koumoundouros, Elisa Allebias, Meredith Rouse, Alex Warren, Andrew Shugg, Lewis Allan, Karlo Dorog, Alexander Jackson, Alex Beckitt, Alex Hutchinson, Xavier Beckitt, Matthew Holmes, Mitchell Shine.

Found in 41 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 1077 users
27.07.2017 - 05:24
Kvothe
I hope you do not come with criticism as happened with wintersun. It seems fashionable to criticize these two bands.
----
Here, waiting very quiet right in front Valaritas, the door that hides the tomb.
27.07.2017 - 09:51
Rating: 9
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Kvothe on 27.07.2017 at 05:24

I hope you do not come with criticism as happened with wintersun. It seems fashionable to criticize these two bands.

Not sure what's wrong with that happening. I like the new song and really interested in who they will find as their new bass player.
----
27.10.2017 - 11:51
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Full album stream:

About halfway listening to it, it seems they topped themselves.
Tho I still wish they could get proper artwork created...
----
27.10.2017 - 13:47
whatsacow
I like it, but does the production sound too compressed to anyone else? Maybe I need to stay off the Angry Metal Guy site...
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
27.10.2017 - 14:05
Rating: 6
Sword_Chant
Imo Ne Obliviscaris is a bit like a dark beer, it's an acquired taste that you either enjoy or it's just not for you.

Technical ability and performance on the album is very good, but I can't help but feel it's lacking inspiration. One other thing about all their albums is I can never get on with their added violins, I feel like it ruins all the riffs, which is ashame as there are a lot of riffs here that sound great.
27.10.2017 - 14:41
SiamKor
First listen: sounds great. Need a few more before deciding how great.
27.10.2017 - 19:24
Rating: 7
Nihil Aeternum
More of the same.
28.10.2017 - 00:12
poison-evie
I've been listening to it all week and really liking it. I don't usually write album reviews, but inspired to do so for this one. Will probably post one on MS at some point lol
28.10.2017 - 00:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Ne Obladioblada is still the single most overrated band around. Really I don'see why people could be going apeshit over this sort of stuff.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.10.2017 - 02:08
Rating: 7
Nick Carter
Considering this hasn't been a great year, these are good news.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
28.10.2017 - 15:55
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.10.2017 at 00:16

Ne Obladioblada is still the single most overrated band around. Really I don'see why people could be going apeshit over this sort of stuff.

Because they are FOKIN good
28.10.2017 - 23:03
mikeprado30
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.10.2017 at 00:16

And I don't see why people can't respect other ones' musical tastes...
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
30.10.2017 - 16:03
erat

How else stormers can feel edgy and cool? They must hate on popular bands and shittalk about how overrated they are. They only listen to their favourite gravely underrated bands like Äkvëlvekvëlvheváhkválhwahthëlaaach.
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
31.10.2017 - 11:01
Stunning Cactus
Written by erat on 30.10.2017 at 16:03

How else stormers can feel edgy and cool? They must hate on popular bands and shittalk about how overrated they are. They only listen to their favourite gravely underrated bands like Äkvëlvekvëlvheváhkválhwahthëlaaach.

Hahahahahahahahaha
31.10.2017 - 12:12
Rating: 8
X-FrEaK
Written by erat on 30.10.2017 at 16:03

LOL! Gonna check that band :> As for the album. It could have used another song or two, its way too short
----
04.11.2017 - 20:00
Rating: 10
terroriser
This is what I love about Metal Storm. Every time i look here I find something really interesting (mind its difficult to attract attention of an old man). Few weeks ago i found Ghostlands and now this.

I'm thinking that maybe there is a hope for metal music... great album, great band

(one thing I cannot comprehend is why some retard classed Ne Obliviscaris as extreme prog metal band?)

(Violin parts remind me Gotan Project and I like it)
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA
06.11.2017 - 12:25
X-FrEaK
Written by terroriser on 04.11.2017 at 20:00

This is what I love about Metal Storm. Every time i look here I find something really interesting (mind its difficult to attract attention of an old man). Few weeks ago i found Ghostlands and now this.

I'm thinking that maybe there is a hope for metal music... great album, great band

(one thing I cannot comprehend is why some retard classed Ne Obliviscaris as extreme prog metal band?)

The tag "extreme prog metal" does not shock me, it is somewhat accurate, but anyways if you liked Urn, check Portal of I, then come back to thank me . Probably it won't have the same impact as it did with me, because I discovered NeO right when Portal of I was released, and neither Citadel or Urn managed to reach the same quality (they are, nevertheless great albums, with Urn being the weakest of the three)
----
06.11.2017 - 20:53
terroriser
Written by X-FrEaK on 06.11.2017 at 12:25

Written by terroriser on 04.11.2017 at 20:00

The tag "extreme prog metal" does not shock me, it is somewhat accurate, but anyways if you liked Urn, check Portal of I, then come back to thank me . Probably it won't have the same impact as it did with me, because I discovered NeO right when Portal of I was released, and neither Citadel or Urn managed to reach the same quality (they are, nevertheless great albums, with Urn being the weakest of the three)

I will and I'll let you know how it went. Thanks
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA
08.11.2017 - 18:35
Rating: 6
Reaper_Redeemer
The previous one and this are in a direction I don't like. Without the grooves that the debut album had I find this music bland, apart from the quality that I recognize in it of course.
08.11.2017 - 19:04
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 08.11.2017 at 18:35

Without the grooves that the debut album had I find this music bland, apart from the quality that I recognize in it of course.

There's still plenty of groove on Citadel, especially thanks to the bass. That said the difference in the bass department is quite striking, and some might realize the uniqueness of Cygnus now that he's gone. While Rob is a very competent player, he just comes across as an operator in comparison.
11.11.2017 - 14:12
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
My least favorite album by them, maybe because they released the good tracks prior to the album's release and also it's very short .. Still need more listens to be able to give it a rating.
15.11.2017 - 01:20
X-FrEaK
Written by BloodJuNkie on 11.11.2017 at 14:12

My least favorite album by them, maybe because they released the good tracks prior to the album's release and also it's very short .. Still need more listens to be able to give it a rating.

I was discussing exactly that with a coworker, almost all of the album was released prior to the release :X
----
15.11.2017 - 17:57
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by X-FrEaK on 15.11.2017 at 01:20

Written by BloodJuNkie on 11.11.2017 at 14:12

I was discussing exactly that with a coworker, almost all of the album was released prior to the release :X

Yeah not a smart move by them, especially when the album is that short lol
16.11.2017 - 08:10
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by mikeprado30 on 28.10.2017 at 23:03

Maybe because Ne Obliviscaris haven't Urned that respect.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
17.11.2017 - 05:16
mikeprado30
Written by Metren on 16.11.2017 at 08:10

Written by mikeprado30 on 28.10.2017 at 23:03

Maybe because Ne Obliviscaris haven't Urned that respect.

Even if that's your conception there must be respect for another ones' tastes
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
17.11.2017 - 07:45
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by mikeprado30 on 17.11.2017 at 05:16

Even if that's your conception there must be respect for another ones' tastes

I agree, I was just making a bad pun

Though I don't see anything disrespectful in someone finding it difficult to see why a band is popular. As for me, I have only listened to a couple of songs from Ne Obliviscaris and I didn't enjoy those at all.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
01.02.2018 - 17:18
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Hehehe I'm actually enjoying this
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
25.02.2018 - 22:53
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I still like it a lot. I just wish they would overcome the need to compress the shit out of everything. Modern production is an aid for some music and a poison for others. You could go sparing with it and the result could be fascinating, and IMO this music could be so much more organic if the production would've allowed it... (pointing at Back to Times of Splendor secretly)
----
15.02.2020 - 11:36
DeathMetal
Great album, I love the violin.
26.03.2023 - 19:18
Bjamm
I've listened to this album many, many a time. Eyrie, their softest song ever, is my favorite track! You just would want to listen through the whole song just for the last 3 minutes to be built up! It's orgasmic!
The first section of Urn (Part I) is just very interesting and very different from their other releases in composition, atmosphere, and tempo. Yet alas they soon succumb to a very common piece in their discography. I would want that unique atmosphere to last longer. On the other hand, Urn (Part II) catches an interesting tune very soon. I guess that starting section of Urn (Part I) and the ending of Urn (Part II) could have made an awesome song combined. Those middle parts could have easily been disposed of.

Hits total: 16960 | This month: 48