12. Psychotic
13. Grind You Down
14. Razorblade Smile
15. Eulogy

The Biggest Letdown Of 2018

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
If Supercharger was Machine Head's St. Anger, Catharsis is their Lulu.

Read more ››
published 09.03.2018 | Comments (21)

Found in 19 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 66   Visited by: 980 users
22.01.2018 - 13:46
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Finally got around listening to the four singles. There are some decent moments, but the songs feel like a bad mix between heavy Machine Head and pop-friendly Machine Head. I guess in the end it'll be better than Supercharger, but barely. "Catharsis" (the song) is nice, tho.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
25.01.2018 - 15:08
Rating: 1
Biggest (expected) letdown of 2018 confirmed
25.01.2018 - 19:53
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I expect it to be utter complete shit, so I won't get disappointed
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
25.01.2018 - 20:25
Rating: 2
qqvmxffu
Road to Bottom 20 albums - Loading 99%
25.01.2018 - 21:30
Rating: 6
Makes Supercharger sound like The Blackening
25.01.2018 - 23:10
Rating: 8
Ralle
Good album, better then previous... groovy and melodic
26.01.2018 - 03:42
Rating: 5
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Is it me, or does this sound a lot like Trivium...

Even as generic as this sounds, it's still better than the previous steaming pile they released.
26.01.2018 - 12:39
Rating: 4
Dum-Grishnahk
I guess worst shit I've ever listened.
26.01.2018 - 15:52
Rating: 3
AndreMarcos
Musically sounds like a crossover between MH and Slipknot. Lyrically is abysmal, the first line of the album is "Fuck the world" , it's like an angsty teen wrote the lyrics
26.01.2018 - 15:55
AndreMarcos
Written by LeKiwi on 26.01.2018 at 03:42

Is it me, or does this sound a lot like Trivium...

Even as generic as this sounds, it's still better than the previous steaming pile they released.

I actually think the Bloodstone & Diamonds is quite superior. It had far less pop influences and it was less generic and boring
26.01.2018 - 16:31
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by AndreMarcos on 26.01.2018 at 15:55

I actually think the Bloodstone & Diamonds is quite superior. It had far less pop influences and it was less generic and boring

Just because something is less generic doesn't make it better. B&D was different, but it also failed in my eyes. It had a few good songs, but this album is far more consistent.
26.01.2018 - 18:22
AndreMarcos
Written by LeKiwi on 26.01.2018 at 16:31

Written by AndreMarcos on 26.01.2018 at 15:55

Just because something is less generic doesn't make it better. B&D was different, but it also failed in my eyes. It had a few good songs, but this album is far more consistent.

yes, i agree that it doesn't, but in my opinion at least makes it more interesting. And as you said at least B&D some good songs, in Catharsis i don't see one. Everything just sounds so bland to me.

Maybe my opinion is being clouded by the singles that they released and am being to harsh on the album after just 1 listen. But after 1 listen i have no desire of listening to this album ever again
26.01.2018 - 20:36
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by AndreMarcos on 26.01.2018 at 18:22

yes, i agree that it doesn't, but in my opinion at least makes it more interesting. And as you said at least B&D some good songs, in Catharsis i don't see one. Everything just sounds so bland to me.

Maybe my opinion is being clouded by the singles that they released and am being to harsh on the album after just 1 listen. But after 1 listen i have no desire of listening to this album ever again

If you need background noise, Machine Head will hook you up
26.01.2018 - 22:05
I like Volatile and the title track but after that it goes completely of the rails.
27.01.2018 - 18:57
Illwill
Huge Machine Head here, followed them since Burn My (Pantera's) Eyes (still my favorite). Rarely listened to a new album and anxiously waited for it to end as happened with this one. I was not even disappointed, expected the worst from the singles and that's exactly what happened. A generous 3 only because of the past
27.01.2018 - 22:55
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Quite bold coming from Robb Flynn to sell-out in such a shameless manner. This album feels like it was made by a middle aged guy going through his SJW period. Literally. This album feels like the guy has become a sort of a metalcore corporate puppet. But it does get worse, this album is considered to be Miley Cyrus meets SYL. LOL

If Robb would've started his career by playing glam, nu-metal, power metal or any other cheesy genre, he could be forgiven, but this guy played thrash and later groove thrash in Violence and 90s Machine Head. There are some obvious issues in the ego department coming from this guy, particularly since he started to taste a little bit of fame.

Truly an awful record. Machine Head's own St. Anger. Genres should be changed as well. This is nor progressive, nor thrash. Metalcore pop, this is what it is. Or SJW metal.
28.01.2018 - 13:41
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
It's fucking hilarious how much MS trashes this album but we still run an ad with it
"Beautifully sophisticated"
I wonder how much did they pay that reviewer
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
28.01.2018 - 14:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by RaduP on 28.01.2018 at 13:41
It's fucking hilarious how much MS trashes this album but we still run an ad with it

Ah, the wonders of adblock. Completely oblivious to such crap.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.01.2018 - 15:12
kam1kaze
After hearing it a couple of times, I expected it worse with everything I had read out there. It doesn't start badly, but as the songs pass, the level goes down. Musically not so bad, but those lyrics... That if, the bad songs, are very bad.

In the end, if you remove certain songs from the album, you have a album of something more than 50 minutes that is something better.
28.01.2018 - 17:07
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Ralle on 25.01.2018 at 23:10

Good Lord, imagine being this wrong
----
28.01.2018 - 17:17
bblitz
Oh dear mr.Flynn this time you have done it with your
music going to the bigger audiences and sell out marketing.Just watch
out you don't lose your 'smaller' audience who has been with MH
all these years and loved what you did,including myself.I don't understand
how you could say to fans ''Don't expect nothing heavy and aggressive,we don't want to make
new Reign in blood''And that album cover,come on man....
You and your band should say sorry to all the fans for this abomination.
28.01.2018 - 17:48
Ralle
Written by RaduP on 28.01.2018 at 17:07

I listen Machine Head since first album and mr.Flynn can experiment, he don't have to do what fans wants. I don't like to hear same shit on every album like some bends do. If you don't want to innovate, you don't have to release
albums.
28.01.2018 - 17:59
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
God I wish I could haha react comments on MS
----
28.01.2018 - 18:08
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Ralle on 28.01.2018 at 17:48

Written by RaduP on 28.01.2018 at 17:07

I listen Machine Head since first album and mr.Flynn can experiment, he don't have to do what fans wants. I don't like to hear same shit on every album like some bends do. If you don't want to innovate, you don't have to release
albums.

Even more weird is that you have listened to his all albums and you do not notice the shameless sell out on this album. How can you compare his 90s groove thrash period with the curent metalwhore pop period? He doesn't have to do what the fans want, of course, but this album is intended to bring more fans, particularly pop fans into his music. This is not an experiment, nowhere near. An experiment is what Voivod did in the 80s and 90s. That's what you can call an experiment. This a sell-out, plain and simple.

You speak the same as those Metallica fans who consider their post 1991 albums as experiments. What the fuck can you experiment with frigging blues scales? Same here. You can hear this sort of album from any Z rate metalwhore band. What experiment is this? A sell-out experiment? Maybe. You fan boys are hilarious, and it is precisely because of people like you that praise every band's sell-out that they continue on this path. These bands do not receive a level of backlash necessary to punish them for their complete loss of integrity and self-respect, because only a shameless moron can make this kind of album and consider it one of its best.
28.01.2018 - 18:36
Ralle
Man, i just listening Anthrax - Sound Of The White Noise which one good come back after boring Persistence of Time, new Machine Head is very listenable but isn't typical metal sound.

p.s.my favorite band is Biohazard, a love crossover music.
28.01.2018 - 18:48
Stormm
I just don't understand. Flynn is trend seeker. So why is he going back to era when MH almost ended?
28.01.2018 - 20:11
Rating: 1
zeromus44
I was going to vote this crap with a 3-4 because some moments in some songs are enjoyable, the rest is bullshit.

After I listened to "Bastards" I will change my voting.
28.01.2018 - 21:25
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Stormm on 28.01.2018 at 18:48

I just don't understand. Flynn is trend seeker. So why is he going back to era when MH almost ended?

some people never learn of their mistakes. Or maybe it'll work this time - after if he manages to land a big hit on the mainstream market, he won't give a shit about being a sellout or whatever.
Who knows, maybe he even thinks Supercharger was a move in the direction, but a move that failed, and he wants to correct that?

(not trying to say this is good, btw; just playing the devil's advocate. Anyway, on a personal level, I'm not going to bother with this, er, album, anymore)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
29.01.2018 - 01:20
X-FrEaK
Indeed, this album is not great by any chance. Although I really liked Heavy Lies the Crown.

Nevertheless the amount of rage is just over the roof lol. People have to chill, they have all the right to release the music they want.
Opeth, one of my favorite bands - right until Heritage - did the same, and hey...it sucks but you gotta respect that. I rather stop listening to new releases of one of my favorite bands because they tried something different (Opeth, Machine Head) than stop because I cannot stand all the same shit over and over again (Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth).

And why the hell would Robb Flynn sell out to Nu Metal? Cmon...Nu metal? Trendy? In 2018? You gotta be fucking kidding me, he didn't sell out, he just released something that he really wanted but failed miserably.

I don't like the album, but these guys gave me The Blackening eleven years ago, I bought it and I have it always in my car, it's a fucking masterpiece and its the 142nd ranked album on this site... So they screwed up... More time to listen to the new In Vain's.
----
29.01.2018 - 07:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
MS reactions clearly tells me this is worst than Supercharger. I'm still waiting my tablet to toss up this record. Lot is in queue.

Hits total: 16333 | This month: 78