12. Psychotic
13. Grind You Down
14. Razorblade Smile
15. Eulogy

The Biggest Letdown Of 2018

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
If Supercharger was Machine Head's St. Anger, Catharsis is their Lulu.

Read more ››
published 09.03.2018 | Comments (21)

Found in 19 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 66   Visited by: 980 users
29.01.2018 - 14:57
IBlackened
Style: Progressive thrash metal? How is this album progressive? Is this meant to be a joke about Flynn's SJW lyrics?
----
Their old stuff is better.
29.01.2018 - 21:00
Rating: 2
Marchosias
While i was at work i spent my break time on searching the albums i have missed. I saw the album and its 4.9 rating and i was so sure that there had to be some kind of an overraction and a mistake.

Then unfortunately i got home and started listening to it..now i am sure that people at MS are mercyful.

This is full of cliches, i feel like Rob Flynn wanted to make a statement that Machine Head was relevant to the angst ridden teenagers and it spoke to them on an eye to eye level.

Admirers of Machine Heads early music (like myself) is used to being let down however this is a whole new level..
----
A mediocre metalhead.
29.01.2018 - 22:16
Predictable
If Robb read this.... there´s going to happen a new "live" or rage attack btw!
29.01.2018 - 23:00
Gorefest
Account deleted
Didn't read the rest of the comments, but REALLY? I'm the only one who hears Love? of Strapping Young Lad instead of Beyond the Pale?
30.01.2018 - 00:18
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 29.01.2018 at 23:00

Didn't read the rest of the comments, but REALLY? I'm the only one who hears Love? of Strapping Young Lad instead of Beyond the Pale?

No, you're not. Devin Townsend has also heard it and he's ok with it
30.01.2018 - 01:46
Rating: 4
dragula1541
Written by Guest on 29.01.2018 at 23:00

I recall Devin was informed of this and he pretty much let it slide and said:

"People asking me about riff similarities: I don't have an opinion really. I've written riffs my whole career that sound like something else. I've used whole themes from other albums, movies or soundtracks. Art is a collage of your experiences, you taking clippings and reassemble."

"Here's the best part about comparison of MH new song to 'Love' I basically ripped off the SYL chorus from this song," referring to Yes' "City of Love."

http://loudwire.com/devin-townsend-downplays-machine-head-riff-similarities-robb-flynn-responds/
31.01.2018 - 00:14
Rating: 3
musclassia
Staff
Got a pretty heavy Slipknot self-titled vibe from the first minute or so of Volatile. Most of the next few songs up until Triple Beam sounds like some less talented Machine Head fans taking all of their post-00's musical features and excesses and sloppily fitting them together, ruining the chances of some of the occasional good moments to shine. Like the title track, which has a few semi-decent riffs and guitar lines along with some weird changes of direction and that laughable chorus. The production's also really flat at some points, particularly in the softer moments. And for fuck's sake, can Robb Flynn please stop breathing into the mic when he does those overly 'aggressive' rant-style vocals.

That said, I wasn't actually finding quite as atrocious as some of the people here and elsewhere I've seen seem to, until Triple Beam began, then the triple-attack of that, Kaleidoscope and Bastards broke me, fucking hell. As a fan of Rise Against, I have to say Bastards sounds like a song they might write, but then decide it was awful and promptly burn all trace of it. They don't reach those depths again, but they also don't really recover from that car crash. Bloodstone and Diamonds was a big dip in quality from Unto The Locust, but this is somehow an even bigger drop than that. Never listened to Supercharger or Burning Red so don't know if it's their worst ever album but Supercharger would have to be pretty bad to beat it out.
31.01.2018 - 14:55
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Rob Flynn got beaten by hubris.
01.02.2018 - 20:28
Aries Rising
The more I hear from this abortion, the lower my score becomes. They really shit the bed with this one.
02.02.2018 - 12:42
traililya
TERRIBLE CRAP
05.02.2018 - 19:52
Majohadica
I don't understand yours comments but this is repose album with nice riff transitions.Very listenable.For me 9/10.
06.02.2018 - 19:11
Rating: 2
Sword_Chant
Wow at the ratings for this, this must suck. Sounds like you've saved me my time, sanity and cash not getting this album!!
07.02.2018 - 21:52
Rating: 7
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
This album is nothing special, true. But I'm struggling to understand what people hear that's so particularly bad/different from some of their other albums.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
10.02.2018 - 06:51
Amy
Robb Flynn's midlife crisis: the album
----
\m/
10.02.2018 - 13:46
Hellcult
It seems like this album is not even worth checking out !?.
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
14.02.2018 - 05:02
Novas
They definitely went back to the "Burning Red/Surcharger"-era with more punk/metalcore emo lyrics. Pretty bad for a four year wait. No wonder the bassist left.
14.02.2018 - 08:04
Sonic MrSumo
Written by LeKiwi on 26.01.2018 at 03:42

Is it me, or does this sound a lot like Trivium...

hmmm...i think that's just you dude. to me, it sounds like Superheist's most recent release...i.e. rapping engulfed by big guitar breakdowns.

on first listen, i don't mind it...too farking long though.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
14.02.2018 - 08:10
Sonic MrSumo
Written by IBlackened on 29.01.2018 at 14:57

Style: Progressive thrash metal? How is this album progressive?

totally agree...this is more 'regressive nu metal'...throw back to 00's big riff / breakdown rap metal
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
14.02.2018 - 21:50
Rating: 5
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 14.02.2018 at 08:04

hmmm...i think that's just you dude. to me, it sounds like Superheist's most recent release...i.e. rapping engulfed by big guitar breakdowns.

Some people seem to agree on the similar bands section. I don't know...I'm getting "generic metal vibes" from this, which is essentially Trivium
14.02.2018 - 23:20
Sonic MrSumo
Written by LeKiwi on 14.02.2018 at 21:50

Written by Sonic MrSumo on 14.02.2018 at 08:04

Some people seem to agree on the similar bands section. I don't know...I'm getting "generic metal vibes" from this, which is essentially Trivium

Superheist:

https://youtu.be/C8ciGNfStOQ

Biggest difference being this bloke can actually rap and sing, unlike Flynn.
----
15.02.2018 - 00:01
VIG
Account deleted
I refuse to listen to this in full so I can't give it my vote.
15.02.2018 - 19:50
Rating: 5
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 14.02.2018 at 23:20

Superheist:

https://youtu.be/C8ciGNfStOQ

Biggest difference being this bloke can actually rap and sing, unlike Flynn.

Very similar when you're comparing the less "technical" ( ) parts of this album. Much better indeed. The other parts still remind me of Trivium.
15.02.2018 - 19:55
Zap
Written by Guest on 15.02.2018 at 00:01

I refuse to listen to this in full so I can't give it my vote.

Sure you can. I never finished Eragon but I know for sure it's one of the worst books of all time.
05.04.2018 - 17:00
What a bad album! What is this here??
Midlife-Crisis of Flynn? Rap & Nu Metal & pop refrains everywhere, you can search thrash with a magnifying glass!
This band has published "Burn My Eyes" or "The Blackening" ??
This album here is 10 steps backwards. More worse than "The Burning Red" und "Supercharger". So boring and much too long, 75 minutes.
Nu Metal & Metalcore Fans will love it, every early fan will hate it, they totally removed from real & good metal with this here. So far away from their roots, remember Flynn was in Vio-lence once.
He must have listened only to Nu Metal shit & rap before and while recording this. And perhaps new In Flames for the refrains.

Next dead band, bye
30.07.2018 - 06:56
HelloMe
Written by Darkside Momo on 22.01.2018 at 13:46

Finally got around listening to the four singles. There are some decent moments, but the songs feel like a bad mix between heavy Machine Head and pop-friendly Machine Head. I guess in the end it'll be better than Supercharger, but barely. "Catharsis" (the song) is nice, tho.

Good summary... strange album, some brutal moments (groove metal) mixed with melodic sounds (LP or similar)...
03.01.2019 - 16:34
Rating: 6
nonZero
I would disagree with the majority of the comments and say that it's not a bad album. It's not a great or even good album, but there are some great parts such as the title track or chorus in Kaleidoscope.

My advice would be to lower your expectations and ignore everything after Kaleidoscope.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
02.02.2019 - 00:45
MyNameJeff
Don't mind me, I'm just here for the comments!
19.03.2019 - 22:04
Rating: 10
dark_mar
I love that CD. I have bought many metal CD but this is so different. Super groovy. Interesting changes...i will buy another jewel case version to my car. Greetings Machine Head!!!!
17.04.2020 - 12:01
Rating: 1
CakeN7
2 years later, still an absolute car accident of an album. Probably the worst album I'll ever spend money on.
21.04.2020 - 08:18
ickoriss
Written by LeKiwi on 26.01.2018 at 03:42

Is it me, or does this sound a lot like Trivium...

It's just you lol.

Hits total: 16334 | This month: 79