Release date: March 2018

01. Astral
02. Stellar
03. Omni
04. Eclipse
05. Halo
06. Fragment
07. Abyss

Is six years too much to wait for a new album? Will expectations following a spectacular release be so much that Abandon Of The Self is set to fail?

In case you're wondering what Eryn Non Dae means, it's just gibberish that the band came up with when they couldn't use the name END. Eryn Non Dae don't have such a large following but the one they have seems to hold them in very high regard, and it's not that difficult to see why, seeing as how Eryn Non Dae manage to create post-metal that feels like it has its own personality. Their last release, Meliora, did turn some heads, but the band felt like they needed to create something different from it instead of rehashing ideas, so six years later we get to Abandon Of The Self.

AOTS (not Album Of The Second) is first and foremost a post-metal album, but it would be doing it a disservice to limit its description to just that. It feels like more than just atmospheric sludge or a heavier version of post-rock, though it inclines more to the former. END take cues from a few different genres, like math or djent (the good kind, not the overly chuggy) or hardcore or industrial. But despite the heaviness of the aforementioned genres, AOTS is much mellower than its predecessor and more organic in sound. While I wouldn't call it an atmospheric album in any way, it still does manage to create ambiance.

Despite the album managing to create ambiance, the melody still takes center stage on AOTS. The songwriting is complex enough so that it feels like every note is carefully planned, but not so that it detracts and feels overly cacophonous or indulgent. The album knows how to manifest its fury in ways that feel tranquil, creating a wall of sound that doesn't overshadow the brilliant maelstrom of the instruments and also rewarding the patience of listeners who seek more than just instant gratification. The vocals may not be the best in post-metal, but they are certainly not one-dimensional, and the production is raw enough that it doesn't feel plastic but complete enough to let the listener appreciate the songwriting and textures in full, though it does feel like it could be improved.

Abandon Of The Self feels like an album that has been long in the making, carefully planned with attention to every detail. While the production and certain vocal sections do drag it down just a bit, It's still one of the most engaging and captivating post-metal albums I've heard lately.

Abandon yourself.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 01.08.2018 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 64 users
02.08.2018 - 20:57
Thanks for review. Been a weak few years for post-metal. They have a little -post-blackened death?- to them in spots similar to Au-Dessus or Departe. The archetypal atmospheric sludge sound seems to be dying a bit. We need a post-metal renaissance. Or a second Departe album.
02.08.2018 - 21:10
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Fellow Duh Say on 02.08.2018 at 20:57

Thanks for review. Been a weak few years for post-metal. They have a little -post-blackened death?- to them in spots similar to Au-Dessus or Departe. The archetypal atmospheric sludge sound seems to be dying a bit. We need a post-metal renaissance. Or a second Departe album.

Genres that don't move forward deserve to die
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
02.08.2018 - 23:19
Mercurial
Written by RaduP on 02.08.2018 at 21:10

*Hires hitmen for thrash and funeral doom*
02.08.2018 - 23:44
Rating: 9
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Good review mate!
And while I really like this album ("Halo" is absolutely stunning), the production leaves a bit to be desired indeed. Also, as you said, the vocals ("Stellar")... The spoken ones at least.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
03.08.2018 - 19:31
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Mercurial on 02.08.2018 at 23:19

Written by RaduP on 02.08.2018 at 21:10

*Hires hitmen for thrash and funeral doom*

*Sends hearing aid to Brighton, recalls hitmen *
03.08.2018 - 20:38
Mercurial
Written by Guest on 03.08.2018 at 19:31

*Sends hearing aid to Brighton, recalls hitmen *

Lol, I'm right though. Those genres are the same as they were 20+ years ago.

13.08.2018 - 21:27
Thrash is thrash and shouldn't be reinvented, just rehashed with new blood (see Power Trip). For my money, Bell Witch laps the field of funeral doom and has expanded the genre, one of the best bands of the new millennium.
17.08.2018 - 22:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

You are looking in the wrong places...I would be glad to help.
----
rekt
20.08.2018 - 20:59
Written by tea[m]ster on 17.08.2018 at 22:39

You are looking in the wrong places...I would be glad to help.

Please do! There was a good year two or three years ago when bands like Dead to a Dying World and Kowloon Walled City came out with good albums. I listened to a band called Spotlights quite a bit last year which is the only post-metal that has been new to me but I don't think it was new music. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hits total: 3907 | This month: 7