03. Broken Hoop
04. Drinking On A Pile Of Skulls
05. Fenrir
06. Raising The Mammoth
07. Impose My Will
08. Sacrament Of The Sick
09. Eclipse
10. Born Too Late [St. Vitus cover] [bonus]

Wow, talk about heavy music. "The Mighty Nimbus" has to be one of the heaviest albums of this year, its just bubble of heaviness, it's really incredible.
But ok, the "Nimbuses" aren't exactly any young pigeons either; here you'll find members from Alabama Thunder Pussy, Sixty Watt Shaman, ex-Chaos Witch & ex-Electric Chair Horror.

The best way to describe the music is simple, heavy. The Sludge/Doom they play reminds me mostly of older Black Sabbath, the time when they really were heavy (But then Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath was a great inspiration for these guys).
But the feeling of some stoner and more modern Doom strikes me, and people with more knowledge of these kind of Sludge and Doom says that similarities with bands like Crowbar, St. Vitus and The Obsessed is audible, but that I wouldn't know.

This self-titled album is their debut-wax; it was recorded in Minneapolis during October 2003 to December 2003. But the real amazing thing is that it's recorded in just 24 hours, Live as well. And maybe that's the reason why it's so heavy?
I have very little knowledge when it comes to recordings but I imagine that these live recordings brings forward something in the final product, and whatever it is, these "Mighty Nimbuses" got it.

Starring on this album does 10 tracks, 9 of which they written themselves, the last one is actually a cover song by one of their influences, St. Vitus.
Of those, I've chosen to give the following two some extra time in the spotlight, "I'll Never Weep", a beautiful and quite sorrow tune, but still it's heavy as hell.
Also "Sacrament of the Sick", because that song (musically) really reminds me of the earlier mentioned album with Black Sabbath, it's quite melodic but still heavy as lead.

As you might understand now, this isn't really the usual Doom Metal everybody's talking about, this is actually the original kind of Doom Metal, mixed with sludge, southern rock and some Stoner, which makes is very heavy (note that I always said Heavy, not Hard).
A BUY-OR-DIE for all fans of the earlier mentioned bands and even for fans of old Black Sabbath (that, of course, have to include some interest in Sludge and even some Stoner).
Go and buy the years, maybe, heaviest album.

Check Out: Didn't I just say Buy or Die?

Written by Malcolm | 03.12.2004

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 4 users
12.10.2018 - 11:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Alabama Thunder Pussy was good band, but I like review, I have to agree its a bit sabatish
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 1859 | This month: 18