Release date: June 2018

01. Machete
02. He Is My Master
03. Violated
04. I Am The One
05. Cut Out Their Hearts
06. Kill Everything In Sight My Brothers
07. Chains

I bless the rains down in Africa: For they try to cleanse the soil; painted with innocent blood, sweat and tears. For they try to tone down the screams and cries of the dancing machete.

Maurice De Jong, of Gnaw Their Tongues fame, has repeatedly explored and interpreted many of the most dark and extreme aspects of the human existence in several of his projects. While the utter terror of serial killers, religious fanatics and the occult serve as a perfect catalyst for Mories' vast explorations within drone, black or industrial metal? Offerbeest's Afrika offers a different kind of nightmare. A very real and tangible one.

It does so while also shifting focus from the overall black metal aesthetics of his work and focus solely on harsh power electronics. The abstract nature of this release could only be compared to Aderlating's tormented and unstructured hymns of dark chaos. But Afrika is far too physical for the comparison to go any further. Here you feel every beat, every gut-twisting low end and high-pitched scrap of iron. Every blood-thirsty command will persecute you and make you dread the heartless society around you.

The acute turmoil of the Dark Continent is reflected through one of the clearest and most direct productions in Mories' catalogue. The use of only analogue gear and absence of cloudy computer-driven effects pack the extra punch Offerbeest needs to separate itself from the other projects.

Afrika presents us a hostile half an hour of corrosive bass and static. It's short and to the point, which makes the unsettling atmosphere even more addictive and engaging. It lacks climaxes or crescendos, leaving the listener lost in the harrowing uncertainty, which matches the subject matter perfectly. Mories certainly scored a point with this project. I sincerely hope he gives it enough attention to build upon it.

The rains down in Africa muffle the gargling of my slit throat. I bless them dearly.

Written on 01.12.2018 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 82 users
01.12.2018 - 20:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Jesus, I'm not even halfway through and this is like a demented electronic soundtrack to the Liberian civil war or something. I love how the synth rhythms sort of sound percussive and like drum work as well. Gives off this super raw, tribal warfare type aesthetic that really fits well with the whole Africa theme.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.12.2018 - 18:10
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Waka waka he he
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
02.12.2018 - 18:16
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by RaduP on 02.12.2018 at 18:10
Waka waka he he

I understood that reference. And it's over 8 years old.... Shit.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.12.2018 - 22:05
Mercurial
Toto will never be the same again.

This is queued up on Spotify for tomorrow's listening / punishment. I suspect it'll be a "thanks, I hate it" record in the best possible way.
02.12.2018 - 23:52
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Mercurial on 02.12.2018 at 22:05

Toto will never be the same again.
This is queued up on Spotify for tomorrow's listening / punishment. I suspect it'll be a "thanks, I hate it" record in the best possible way.

Oh, is it on Spotify? Cool! I'd like to know your thoughts on the album. I get the feeling in will be of your iking!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.12.2018 - 13:54
Mercurial
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.12.2018 at 23:52

Oh, is it on Spotify? Cool! I'd like to know your thoughts on the album. I get the feeling in will be of your iking!

It's really good. I wasn't expecting such a pure power electronics experience for some reason, but you're right in that's what this definitely is. It's weirdly restrained as well, intense but sort of subterranean, like I'm hearing the music from a distance inside of a cavern tunnel, where demons are having some sort of demonic rave somewhere in it. Mories has done well here, his layering is typically masterful.

Hits total: 3042 | This month: 16