Metal Storm logo
Evanescence

Original post

Posted by Bas, 25.05.2006 - 22:11
Ok, so first of all i am aware of the fact that alot of people will come here and bash this band, if you do so i cant stop you, but i can ask you this, why do you hate this band? and most of all, how much have you actually heard by them?

so please people, no mindless bash posts, rather tell me what you dont like about them,

having said that, i wonder what their new cd will be like, i hope it'll be heaps better then fallen (which wont be very hard IMO)
i didnt really like fallen, i think it's not half as good as it could be, because i think Amy is an amazing vocalist, and i like their pre-fallen material very much,

please let me hear your opinions, what do you like better, fallen or their pre-fallen stuff?
29.07.2007 - 08:38
Amethyst
Account deleted
What else can I say? Opinions abouts this band are too divided.... some of them love it, some others hate it.... It always happens when a person's characteristics -in this case, Amy's- are too strong or outstanding, no matter what the reason is -intelligence, appearance, habilities, irony, goodness, evil...- Controversy appears. Personally, I think she's a good singer (probably not too good live) and she actually plays the piano -not like many girlies i've seen that just seem to in their videoclips-

As regards the songs, they're... well, nice, easy-to-listen-to, pretty good lyrics. And I don't like the musicians. They're opaque on Amy's side.

Hummm.. I think music should unite people, not the other way around. It's good to discuss and compare opinions with respect to everyone.
29.07.2007 - 09:01
Lupas
Maximus
Written by [user id=25051] on 29.07.2007 at 08:38

What else can I say? Opinions abouts this band are too divided.... some of them love it, some others hate it.... It always happens when a person's characteristics -in this case, Amy's- are too strong or outstanding, no matter what the reason is -intelligence, appearance, habilities, irony, goodness, evil...- Controversy appears. Personally, I think she's a good singer (probably not too good live) and she actually plays the piano -not like many girlies i've seen that just seem to in their videoclips-

As regards the songs, they're... well, nice, easy-to-listen-to, pretty good lyrics. And I don't like the musicians. They're opaque on Amy's side.

Hummm.. I think music should unite people, not the other way around. It's good to discuss and compare opinions with respect to everyone.

I must agree with you
I have listen to both albums and i prefer more the first album than their last one. All of the songs from the first albums are still in my memory and sometime i listen to this album . The last album i have listen to it not more than 3times. Why ? I really don't know. There is something missing in this album .

ABout that statement you have made , that music should united people, i am sure that this is true. Music have no borders, age, race, nation etc . It is one off that united all human kind.
It is a good idea to discuss this in other topic, so i let you to start it in general threads
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
14.08.2007 - 12:11
Sunioj
I think this band is good at what they do, Amy has a very pretty voice. Pre fallen material is very touching and actually I have many memories from this band...fallen was overrated and overplayed just like every band that appears on MTV when they get bigger. But I did hear from a couple friends that Amy is not half as good live....
29.08.2007 - 05:54
selken
Irreligious
Among all rock bands, Evanescence is the only band that I respect as a metal band, even, I have listed'em as Gothic/alt metal in my list. Amy's voice is one of the best female voices I ever heard, I dare to say that she is better than tarja (but not vibeke :-)
----
31.01.2008 - 12:01
iaberis
Advice Troll
Well, I originally didn't like this band, when Fallen came out, just like I didn't like Linkin Park...
But all these were back at that time...
Now I can tolerate both. Maybe I like Evanescence a bit more...
I'm not a fan or something, but I think their Fallen album is very good. I'm not so sure if it's metal or just alternative rock with distorted guitars, but I find it OK.
I have to admit though that Within Temptation sound a lot like Evanescence...
----
Bitch! Please
31.01.2008 - 18:44
selken
Irreligious
Written by iaberis on 31.01.2008 at 12:01

Well, I originally didn't like this band, when Fallen came out, just like I didn't like Linkin Park...
But all these were back at that time...
Now I can tolerate both. Maybe I like Evanescence a bit more...
I'm not a fan or something, but I think their Fallen album is very good. I'm not so sure if it's metal or just alternative rock with distorted guitars, but I find it OK.
I have to admit though that Within Temptation sound a lot like Evanescence...

+1 mostly WT last album, which I like a lot.
----
01.02.2008 - 17:03
Number Juan
I liked their sound before but I am just not that inerested in them anymore. I don't hate them like most people seem to do but I don't listen to them all that much either.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
01.02.2008 - 21:07
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Number Juan on 01.02.2008 at 17:03

I liked their sound before but I am just not that inerested in them anymore. I don't hate them like most people seem to do but I don't listen to them all that much either.

they've turned too much into mainstream nowadays... They used to be good, but I guess since most band members left, Amy Lee thinks she's a diva...
----
Bitch! Please
02.02.2008 - 03:42
Number Juan
Written by iaberis on 01.02.2008 at 21:07

Written by Number Juan on 01.02.2008 at 17:03

they've turned too much into mainstream nowadays... They used to be good, but I guess since most band members left, Amy Lee thinks she's a diva...

Yeah. I kinda thought that when the original guitarist and founding member left, it was bad news. I thought "call me when you are sober" was ok but it seemed bland as fuck too.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
26.02.2008 - 18:58
Coté
I still like this band but I just listen to the first and second album and some old songs.

You're right in Amy Lee as a diva, you just have to see what and how she's wearing the clothes she has in the video "Call Me When You're Sober"...:nono:
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
29.06.2008 - 18:27
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
first of all i dont think that her voice is so nice, cause its so nice only at their albums. and in the live performance its not as nice as her voice in albums, but i like her voice and her face, i think they r a fashion band and i like them when i see them on the tv. but no i cant waste mytime to listen to their albums. and my reason for this action is just personal i think. i like to hear gothic metal bands which have female vocals but so better than evanescence(IMO) as The Gathering or Draconian
29.06.2008 - 21:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
This band is an overrated band, and one of those who are destroying the face of Rock beside some other bands like Linkin Park, just see the Rockers in 2000's and Rockers in 80's... I hate this Rock.
And sad time was when I heard that Evenscense performed Lithium, I thought they have done a cover of Nirvana's. but they have another lithium.. thanks God, no more raping of Nirvana!!
01.07.2008 - 08:27
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by selken on 29.08.2007 at 05:54

I dare to say that she is better than tarja

Some people get put to death for saying things like that in some countries.

Personally, I REALLY don't like this band. What irritates me the most about them is their fake "gothic" image. There is nothing gothic about this band.
01.07.2008 - 15:37
selken
Irreligious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 01.07.2008 at 08:27

Written by selken on 29.08.2007 at 05:54

I dare to say that she is better than tarja

Some people get put to death for saying things like that in some countries.

Personally, I REALLY don't like this band. What irritates me the most about them is their fake "gothic" image. There is nothing gothic about this band.

Not now, but at beggining they where
----
01.07.2008 - 23:07
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by selken on 01.07.2008 at 15:37

Really? On a scale of 1-10, how "gothic" was their music compared to their image that they were trying to pull off?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not being ignorant here either. My sister and father used to listen to this band ALL THE TIME. So I've been exposed to it enough to have a valid say on this.
02.07.2008 - 05:07
selken
Irreligious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 01.07.2008 at 23:07

Written by selken on 01.07.2008 at 15:37

Really? On a scale of 1-10, how "gothic" was their music compared to their image that they were trying to pull off?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not being ignorant here either. My sister and father used to listen to this band ALL THE TIME. So I've been exposed to it enough to have a valid say on this.

your opinion is not my opinion

xD
----
02.07.2008 - 22:13
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by selken on 02.07.2008 at 05:07

xD

Yeah....... that's why I asked you for your opinion.
03.07.2008 - 06:16
selken
Irreligious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 02.07.2008 at 22:13

Written by selken on 02.07.2008 at 05:07

xD

Yeah....... that's why I asked you for your opinion.

OK. I like them, maybe a lot, Origin and Fallen are albums that I prefer even over many metal albums xD

I used to like old Amy's voice a lot, but I don't know why it sounds different
----
22.07.2008 - 08:52
HELL-ME
Account deleted
Well!!!
It's true tha this band is faking the true goth music... But i have to say that their first releases are so pretty, soft and sweet to hear... Idon't think they are fucking the metal scene or something like... Instead.. they bring people to the metal scene (new fans)... Just as you start to bear something in a low dose.. After they try to searsh for something deeper and louder... It's just like that... For the last album... i have to say it's just a piece of crap!!! Fucking commercial thing!!
22.07.2008 - 21:22
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by [user id=28430] on 22.07.2008 at 08:52
Idon't think they are fucking the metal scene or something like... Instead.. they bring people to the metal scene (new fans)... Just as you start to bear something in a low dose.. After they try to searsh for something deeper and louder...

Yeah, but most people don't make that transition...
15.10.2008 - 07:20
DevilBabi
I really really like them
I love Amy Lee. Her vioce, is brillant. IMO i'm sick to death of waif like bitches pretending to be real performers. Amy Lee is defiantely the real thing. I have seen them live. brillant.
And another surprise is her vioce is even moer amazing in real life.
im always thrilled to see a band live and be really impressed by them. It's too easy to produce a lisenable album * knows she will get battered for that *.
With mixing and vocal smothing technique almost anyone can make a damn album these days.
Example - Paris Hilton. Made an album, although she is NO PERFORMER or ARTIST by any means. And hence why she did not do a live tour to support her album, because she CANNOT perform live.
You dont have to worry about that with Amy Lee.
She is engaging, her voice is AMAZING.
The bnad on a whole, need a little work. But lets not judge them too hard jsut yet, their just starting out really, and they're show and albums can only get better as they go.

Off topic, does anyone know if their going to bring out a new album soon? IM DYING TO HEAR IT
07.12.2008 - 10:42
Yossarian
Hi metalstormers,
I like them. They, well better said she, follows commercial-biased tecniques and abuse of controversy to make publicity. However the music is metal and not commercial. Not so commercial as Metallica or Theatre of Tragedy for instance. At least Evanescence has made always the same style. They exort also a fresh impulse of an interesting new tendency in metal and a point of liaison with another styles as alternative music. I am fan of this band before and after Fallen, but I prefer "Fallen" to the other material. "The Open Door" 2006 is also a remarkable piece of dumbstrucking art and vocal virtuosity and metallic while "Origin" 2000 is a bit slower and not so worked in the instruments and voice. I must admit at this point that I always skip the first two songs of this album when playing. This is not due to the fact that they are the most commercial ones...it has to do with persistence. They have play these two songs so much in radio and non metal pubs that become kind of "pain in the ass".

Another thing that I must point out is about why they are not included here. I read in another forum, but I can find it now a chap kind of complaining about their not inclusion. He apparently was told that the reason is that they are not metal. I agree with him commenting upon The Doors and System of a Down. Evanescence has more right to be included in MS -I have requested to do it myself- than S.O.A.D. and, above all, The Doors, an average simply rock band with good songs and some fillings. If we become purist about what is and what is not metal...everything from Metallica after the black album and including the first track from the black album should be deleted as well. Besides, metalheads mainly despise the last four albums from Metallica.
For those who despise this band...listen "tourniquet" from "fallen". Perhaps you will get surprise. And if you do not like the style...just enjoy with the great vocal art from the singer.

Well, thanks, bye
09.12.2008 - 14:20
Yossarian
Hi again,

I tried to add the MS and was rejected as well. Then I opened a poll about whether they should be here or not and was locked.
I have investigated and become dumbstruck by the fact that they are not considered metal in most metal websites. So I have gathered some information and I am going to share it with you:

Amy Lee, the leader of the band and the record company has added members to the band taking them from just Alternative rock bands, not from the metal scene. This is the main fact for not considering them Metal.

Then, I learned from Wikipedia that music critics from several magazines including Metal Hammer regard them as Metal.

As for metal musicians, only the leader of Moonspell denies that they are metal, while members of Paradise Lost and My Dying bride state that they are doing something similar to them.

Well now you know more things about this controversy.

IMO, they are metal whether some people like it or not. I can't distinguish them from "Within Temptation" when listening a new song from any of them.

Bye,

Ross
09.12.2008 - 14:57
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Yossarian on 09.12.2008 at 14:20

Hi again,

I tried to add the MS and was rejected as well. Then I opened a poll about whether they should be here or not and was locked.
I have investigated and become dumbstruck by the fact that they are not considered metal in most metal websites. So I have gathered some information and I am going to share it with you:

Amy Lee, the leader of the band and the record company has added members to the band taking them from just Alternative rock bands, not from the metal scene. This is the main fact for not considering them Metal.

Then, I learned from Wikipedia that music critics from several magazines including Metal Hammer regard them as Metal.

As for metal musicians, only the leader of Moonspell denies that they are metal, while members of Paradise Lost and My Dying bride state that they are doing something similar to them.

Well now you know more things about this controversy.

IMO, they are metal whether some people like it or not. I can't distinguish them from "Within Temptation" when listening a new song from any of them.

Bye,

Ross

Interesting arguments, seriouly put and all
But now, if you ask me, I don't consider within temptation to be metal either. It's more symphonic pop rock with some big guitars thrown in for good mesure, to my ears at last!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
11.12.2008 - 09:53
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Yossarian on 09.12.2008 at 14:20

I tried to add the MS and was rejected as well.

Really? That's odd... Why is it that JETHRO TULL is on here (Invisible, but still on the site...) and not this band? Jethro Tull is not metal AT ALL.
11.12.2008 - 11:19
Yossarian
Quote:

Really? That's odd... Why is it that JETHRO TULL is on here (Invisible, but still on the site...) and not this band? Jethro Tull is not metal AT ALL.

Hi, very funny nickname.

The staffs has pm me explaining this and it is also in the FAQ. They say that rock bands that many metalheads like and that has influence many metal bands are added as if a tribute to them.

Regarding Evanescence, there are mixed feelings about the band in MS and in every metal website throught the Internet. Mostly, they are not considered metal. I disagree, but well... it is clear that they have an influence from alternative rock quite clear. However, IMO they sound more metal than alternative.
Perhaps it is simply jealousy, because they are rich and famous and they singer is ****ing gorgeous. hahahaha. A joke. Mulder & Scally should open an X file about this band.

Bye
11.12.2008 - 22:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Yossarian:
Are you still bitching about this? They are pop rock. Metal Hammer is also a terrible source for pretty much anything, including genre definitions, I saw them refer to Children Of Bodom as black metal. Secondly, Jethro Tull has a little bit of a place here because they actually contributed and influenced to what metal has become today. A lot of old prog bands did. I've got nothing against Evamescence but they haven't really contributed anything to metal and they don't have a place here.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
13.12.2008 - 21:00
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 11.12.2008 at 22:23

@Yossarian:
Are you still bitching about this? They are pop rock. Metal Hammer is also a terrible source for pretty much anything, including genre definitions, I saw them refer to Children Of Bodom as black metal. Secondly, Jethro Tull has a little bit of a place here because they actually contributed and influenced to what metal has become today. A lot of old prog bands did. I've got nothing against Evamescence but they haven't really contributed anything to metal and they don't have a place here.

I understand your point Doc Rock, but I still don't agree with not having a band on here because most people think they suck and aren't REAL metal. Don't get me wrong, I hate Evanescence. I think their music is simply AWFUL... AT BEST... but really... the only reason I'm even posting again is to tell you that your signature is GREAT. I come across those kinds of chumps EVERYWHERE.
13.12.2008 - 21:31
wrathchild
Staff
Well, I'm in the staff, I'm not gay and I do love that band a lot. I have them listed in my "favorite bands" for years now while they aren't even featured. So I can understand why one would want to see them here and I'm sick of those "metal or not" useless debates. Yet I still stand against their addition, for now. To me, t's not a matter of music, it has more to do with the stability of the universe.

And speaking of stability, maybe that's what Evanescence needs. So far I've came across no news about a new album, they're only talking about other stuff that Lee did for movies.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
13.12.2008 - 22:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 13.12.2008 at 21:00

Written by Doc G. on 11.12.2008 at 22:23

@Yossarian:

I understand your point Doc Rock, but I still don't agree with not having a band on here because most people think they suck and aren't REAL metal. Don't get me wrong, I hate Evanescence. I think their music is simply AWFUL... AT BEST... but really... the only reason I'm even posting again is to tell you that your signature is GREAT. I come across those kinds of chumps EVERYWHERE.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against this band. Its just as we add them we should add Limp Bizkit. Slipknot for example, everyone hates them, though they are metal unfortunately so I suppose they have a place here. But the fact that 90% of metalheads know Evanescence is not metal is the reason they are not on here.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin