05. Xoxoy
06. HeLa
07. Blackened Battery
08. Mordial
09. Eyecide
10. Antipatterns
11. Naked Fuse

*pew pew thr thr pew pew hnghhhhh chug chug ugh*

Ah ladies and gentlemen here we have back with us the power of djenty mathcore. From the suprisingly almost 20 years into the game Car Bomb, who've made quite a name for themselves already, comes Mordial, the follow-up to what has been a lot of people's (including yours truly's) first taste of the madness that is Car Bomb: 2016's Metal. Let's not waste any more words, you should already know by now who Car Bomb are, but let me waste a few more words by telling you how surprised I am that the band has managed to keep the exact same lineup for their entire existence. Now on to the music.

One thing that is great about Car Bomb's approach to mathcore and that may be why they've gathered so much popularity is their sense of melody within the chaos. Whether the clean vocal choruses that go in stark contrast with everything going around them or the riffier moments that feel circle-pit worthy to the almost weightless atmospheric moments, there's a lot to somewhat ease on the ear from the pressure of the constant pressure of the caustic chaos. I'll use "chaos" a lot. Yes, the album is chaotic, that's generally what makes mathcore so damn fun. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what will happen next. So when more melodic moments hit, and when even those feel in opposition to the music, the chaos is fueled.

But chaos is a ladder, one that Car Bomb continue to climb with making Mordial feel wholly unpredictable but rarely unfamiliar. There's never a sense of really pushing outside boundaries, but always a sense of exploring bits within already familiar places. Whether the weird textures and sounds or the mathematical (it's mathcore, duh) percussion or the uncanny clean choruses, there's a constant sense of excitement. It's not the heaviest or the weirdest or the most layered mathcore album, but it's one that managed to play around with all those elements so well and to keep everything from feeling like too much of a chore to listen to. But even so, Mordial is dizzying and confusing. And fun.

There's a clear sense of why Car Bomb are so well regarded and it's honestly fascinating how well they managed to follow-up an album that felt like it could be any mathcore band's dream masterpiece by working on the elements that already worked. Let's hope they can pull this trick again.

Written on 15.10.2019 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 6   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 113 users
15.10.2019 - 23:49
Rating: 7
musclassia
Staff
Yeah I tried it because my band's drummer goes crazy for them, there's bits in there I like and the pew pew pew's are funny, but as a complete package it's a bit too much for me to handle.
16.10.2019 - 06:11
One of my Album of the Year, top 5 easy. I love it...
----
Sex > War
18.10.2019 - 21:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I want to like this album but it's actually really boring. Dundundundun clean vocals dundundun growly growl growl dundundun snore.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.10.2019 - 22:19
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.10.2019 at 21:43

I want to like this album but it's actually really boring. Dundundundun clean vocals dundundun growly growl growl dundundun snore.

You can make the exact same point about just about every band here
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
18.10.2019 - 22:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by RaduP on 18.10.2019 at 22:19

If I had to pull one line from the review it would be this one. "making Mordial feel wholly unpredictable but rarely unfamiliar". Its just a very normal album. Maybe I'm jaded? It really doesn't have a lot going for it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.10.2019 - 02:46
Rating: 7
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by RaduP on 18.10.2019 at 22:19

Amen to that. I'm gonna sound like a scratched record. But no matter how much I can enjoy metal while listening to it, 99% of it is either forgettable or not worth revisiting that often. Car Bomb at least managed to keep their name in my brain. I listened to this new album, and I still think their mix of clean with the more typical mathcore is not unoriginal. If I can still remember what they sound like after four years of listening to mainly James Brown, they achieved something.

Hits total: 3158 | This month: 9