Metal Storm logo
Swedish Man Gets 'Sick' Benefits For Heavy Metal 'Addiction'

Original post

Posted by 4look4rd, 20.06.2007 - 05:03
Ok, I found this article in a brazillian website (which later on I figured out that was translated from Blabbermouth.net) When I first read it I was laughing my ass off, and I also thought "Hey, I think Im gonna do that too!"

so here is the article

Sweden's The Local reports: A Swedish heavy metal fan has had his musical preferences officially classified as a disability. The results of a psychological analysis mean that the metal lover can now count on having his income supplemented by state benefits.

Roger Tullgren (Photo#1, Photo#2, Photo#3, Photo#4, Photo#5), 42, from Hässleholm in southern Sweden, has just got a new job as a dishwasher at a local restaurant.

Because heavy metal dominates so many aspects of his life, the Employment Service has agreed to pay part of Tullgren's salary. His new boss meanwhile has given him a special dispensation to play loud music at work.

"The fact that I am so into music has affected my work situation to the extent that I have had to quit some jobs," he said.

[Watch video footage of Roger Tullgren talking (in Swedish) about his heavy metal addiction at this location.]

Roger Tullgren first developed an interest in heavy metal when his older brother came home with a BLACK SABBATH album in 1971.

Since then little else has mattered for the 42-year-old, who has long black hair, a collection of tattoos and wears skull and crossbones jewelry.

Last year the ageing rocker claims to have attended almost three hundred shows, often skipping work in the process.

Eventually his last employer tired of his absences and Tullgren was left jobless and reliant on welfare handouts.

But a series of sessions with a psychologist soon led to a solution of sorts: Tullgren signed a piece of paper on which his heavy metal lifestyle was classified as a disability, an assessment that entitles him to a wage supplement from the job centre.

The manager at his new workplace allows him to go to concerts as long as he makes up for lost time at a later point. He is also allowed to dress as he likes and listen to heavy metal while washing up.

"But not too loud when there are guests," said Tullgren.

The Local spoke to an occupational psychologist in Stockolm who admitted to being baffled by the decision.

"I think it's extremely strange. Unless there is an underlying diagnosis it is absolutely unbelievable that the job centre would pay pay out.

"If somebody has a gambling addiction, we don't send them down to the racetrack. We try to cure the addiction, not encourage it," he said.

Henrietta Stein, deputy employment director for the Skåne region, is also puzzled by the move; "an interest in music" is not usually sufficient to qualify for wage benefits.

"Certain cases are confidential but in general there is always a medical reason that is well-documented," she said.

Tullgren currently plays bass and guitar in two rock bands (including SILVERLAND; MySpace) and says that he tends to get a lot of positive reactions for daring to be himself.

"Some might say that I should grow up and learn to listen to other types of music but I can't. Heavy metal is my lifestyle," he said.

source: www.blabbermouth.net

What you all think about this?
07.11.2007 - 19:07
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I totally with everything written by BitterCOld...this guy should recieve therapy not money...I would be pretty pissed if this happend in Denmark 'cause I'm not paying 50% of my salary in taxes to finance addicts
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
08.11.2007 - 01:01
Sonsofsabbath
I don't always want to get up and go to work. But if you want to sustain yourself and accumulate goods, and be able to afford services, you have to paticipate in the economy by offering somthing someone else is willing to pay for. There can be many reasons why an individual is uanable to offer a marketable commodity or service.Disease and diability cover a great many of them.

Likeing something because it brings you pleasure, and therfore impacting on your ability to earn a living, is not something the state should enable by subsidising the individual to weak to be able to delay gratification.

The individual you speak of is not addicted to music, he is possessed by what it does for him. All music is are sound waves , which is a variation of air pressure detected by 3 small structures in the inner ear, and thereafter transmitted to the auditory cortex of the brain, where they are intrerpreted. It is in the interpetation that this individual is pleasured, or if you like, having a need met.

What is it about music that brings pleasure. There is some definite pleasure in certian sounds that are universilly recognized as pleasurable. It would be interesting to subject newborns to musical genres and determine whch ones seemed more pleasurale or soothing.

This swedish guy is just lazy in my opinion..
08.11.2007 - 23:45
Anon
Account deleted
That's an absolutely ridiculous yet ingenious idea.
09.11.2007 - 23:59
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Looks to me like just a cop-out of actually treating him. Hand him off to the government so they don't have to deal with him. It's like how half the kids in the US are diagnosed ADD rather than being disciplined (don't get me wrong, I know ADD is real and serious and all that, but it ALSO is used as an excuse).
13.11.2007 - 03:57
Ellie
Account deleted
Haha this is ridiculously horrible..but I kind of like it.
13.11.2007 - 04:37
Deus Ex Machina
That...lazy...bitch

I just read this and i see the comments have already taken up 3 pages so I'm guessing that whatever I could say has already been said and i probably agree with all of you in a way.
Ah, but this is just so ridiculous. I don't like lazy, stupid people. Not to mention people who encourage them to be this way.

I don't even know what to say. Seriously I'm at loss for words. He's so stupid he's smart.
13.11.2007 - 10:22
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
this is bullshit, having a boss that lets him wear whatever he likes and go to as much concerts as he wants as long as he makes up for missed time is ok obviously, since it's a matter between that guy and his boss. but actually giving him money for that is a load of crap

considering going to a concert more important than your duties is not something that should be rewarded
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
24.12.2007 - 10:59
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.11.2007 at 23:59

Looks to me like just a cop-out of actually treating him. Hand him off to the government so they don't have to deal with him. It's like how half the kids in the US are diagnosed ADD rather than being disciplined (don't get me wrong, I know ADD is real and serious and all that, but it ALSO is used as an excuse).

As a former high school teacher I would say ADD is used as an excuse 90-95% of the time. In my five years in the classroom I encountered dozens of kids with "ADD" but only two that really had a disorder. All the others were what I would describe as various "bad attitude" problems. : And when it comes right down to it, a bad attitude is much easier to deal with than a brain chemistry disorder - but there has to be a willingness on the part of parents/teachers to intercede and make a difference. (Well that's what I did, at any rate.) Trouble is, the system doesn't support people who want to make a difference. So guess why I'm not teaching any longer?

As far as this guy getting benefits for a "metal addiction" - it's hard to judge the situation without knowing all the facts of the case. There's probably a very good reason for why he got those benefits. I worked in municipal government long enough to know that the story the media tells bears almost no resemblance to what really happened. Mainstream news is basically worthless garbage. You really have to dig if you want to find out the truth.

27.12.2007 - 06:13
Ascalon
"Metal Addiction" ?? .... I want to be sick like that ...

Seriously, that doesn'r exist foro nromal people ... if you are sick mentally you'll be sick either ... so the fact of listening metal or not ... isn't a direct reason .. in the same way like some people blames metal fo suicides, massacres and murders in the past ... just like nowadays with video games ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
27.12.2007 - 18:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 20.06.2007 at 14:36

And the swedish claim Norwegians are the wacky ones? o.0

AJJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ
I have to agree on that one!!! ajjajajaja [I'm not Swedish by the way.. I'm Chilean]

Ok.. this guy is [like many people said] A FUCKING LOSER
Just a poser. This guy is the reason to why so many people said that metal is a bad thing.

Mmmm, There are any kind of benefits to those who like doom metal?
Or is only for the guys who like heavy metal?
jajajajajjaaja:lol:
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.12.2007 - 19:26
Ascalon
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.12.2007 at 18:01

Written by Guest on 20.06.2007 at 14:36

And the swedish claim Norwegians are the wacky ones? o.0

AJJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ
I have to agree on that one!!! ajjajajaja [I'm not Swedish by the way.. I'm Chilean]

Ok.. this guy is [like many people said] A FUCKING LOSER
Just a poser. This guy is the reason to why so many people said that metal is a bad thing.

Mmmm, There are any kind of benefits to those who like doom metal?
Or is only for the guys who like heavy metal?
jajajajajjaaja:lol:

I think metal in general ... and we have accept that i'ts a stupid stereotype from ignorant people ... chilean? ... good ... I live in Santiago .. why do you live in Sweden ?
----
28.12.2007 - 13:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
A long tale, my friend.....
No.. it's not so long xD
My mother married with another Chilean who had living here for 30 years
And that's all... Almost.

I'm from Santiago too
I'm living here for some.. emmm... 2 1/2 years.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.12.2007 - 00:13
Ascalon
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.12.2007 at 13:35

A long tale, my friend.....
No.. it's not so long xD
My mother married with another Chilean who had living here for 30 years
And that's all... Almost.

I'm from Santiago too
I'm living here for some.. emmm... 2 1/2 years.

Interesting ... Sweden it's quite a nice country .... I'd like to travel there some day ...
----
29.12.2007 - 13:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Like Nixx said.. The swedish people are the wacky ones [Swedish people in MS... Don't take it serious, just a joke ]

I hope that you can travel here... Is a nice country. And you don't need to look at your bag everytime you go to the Mall or something

One more thing... This is about the Man that got benefits...
The thing that is more stupid. Is that the goverment or his boss acepted that bullshit...
That's the worst thing.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.04.2008 - 17:36
Berfones
This man should get arrested!!
If he can't hold on a job it is not because of the music, it's because he can't hold on a job!!!
He easily could have turned to a musical profession if he wanted, I bet metal music will not destroy his music career.
Many metal band members hold a desent job, some are just musicians, but none is claiming disability because of the music, this whole case is stupid and the government should have dismissed it the second it came to them
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
24.04.2008 - 02:40
Haightredy
Dude, because of my Metal appearance I can't even get a job.... he's getting paid extra to do his?
28.04.2008 - 22:25
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Some european countries seem to be falling into a deeeeeep hole because of all this stupid and irrational social security.
28.04.2008 - 23:43
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
man this dude is an asswipe. i mean it gives off all the wrong messages saying oh im disabled cos i listen to metal. if anything metal empowers a person and makes them stronger not incapable.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
13.05.2008 - 14:02
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Why this doesn't happen in my country!? I want it too! Now, seriously, this is a f*cked up story,I can't work 'cause I listen to metal? No way!! What happend to terapy sessions?
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
13.05.2008 - 17:15
MetalMiker
Account deleted
Written by Necrogeddon on 28.04.2008 at 23:43

man this dude is an asswipe. i mean it gives off all the wrong messages saying oh im disabled cos i listen to metal. if anything metal empowers a person and makes them stronger not incapable.

As much as I like to believe that metal helps me work or study better (and it probably does), I'm not going to deny the fact that if I'm listening to metal and trying to do something else, I will be distracted WAY TOO MUCH. If I sit there studying and have metal on... I'll be like headbanging and singing along at some point during my study and then be like: fuck, I don't want to study... I want to rock out. Basically, this is what's happening with this guy and I reckon it's a fair psychological analysis. Plus, I want benefits like that at work as well. Then again... I already get to listen to metal at work and wear band shirts, so I'm not too bothered!
13.05.2008 - 18:18
Gordon Freeman
I have a fever...and the only perscription is...more heavy metal
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
13.05.2008 - 18:30
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by Gordon Freeman on 13.05.2008 at 18:18

Right on!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
14.05.2008 - 22:29
CRODv
Mi opinion is that this is simply ridiculous.
----
---------
CRODv
16.05.2008 - 00:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.05.2008 - 01:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 16.05.2008 at 00:11

I don't get it u.u
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.05.2008 - 01:51
Gordon Freeman
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.05.2008 at 01:20

I don't get it u.u

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_cowbell
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
17.05.2008 - 02:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

I don't get it u.u

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eFBZb94Y6G8

watch and learn.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.05.2008 - 03:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 17.05.2008 at 02:22

I don't get it u.u

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eFBZb94Y6G8

watch and learn.

Now... THAT'S good TV!!!

I will never see the world as I did before... thank you

"The" Bruce Dickinson ... LMAO XD!!!!
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.05.2008 - 04:33
Stigmatized

17.05.2008 - 07:02
Nox Lux
codebreaker
this is absurd. This guy gives metal and metallers a bad name. To me he's the ultimate dickhead. He just can't get his shit together. I can't believe he's taking tax-payers' money to fund his gigging. I haven't been to a show in a while because I can't afford it. The next show I'll be going to is Opeth in September. You don't see me applying for benefits. What's next? Medicare assistance for masochists? Food Aid for McDonald's workers? What about rappers? Can they get a day off work to 'sling crack-rocks' on the street corner? because hey, it's their lifestyle, right?
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux