Poll

Which band do you think is better?

Emperor
Darkthrone
Both good bands

Total votes: 159
20.06.2007 - 23:40
Infurnace
Darkthrone and Emperor. They both play Black Metal, but they are very different from each other. For example Darkthrone plays raw, minimalistic, primitive Black Metal, but Emperor plays a more technical, symphonic form of Black Metal. I like both bands very much and they are both in my list of favorite Black Metal bands, but for me Darkthrone is the better one here, because I like their raw, old school sound. So my question is, which one of these bands do you think is better, or do you think they are equally good? I'd like to hear your opinion.
21.06.2007 - 00:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
hmm if someone asked me this question last year, I would have easily voted for Emperor. I used to hate Darkthrone until I heard their three newest albums, all of which I really enjoy. I think I'm going to vote for Emperor though, even though I don't listen to them anymore, because I like all of their releases and I feel that they are more creative musically and lyrically.
21.06.2007 - 00:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
hmmmm...Darkthrone, technically I think Emperor is better, but Darkthrone is one of those bands where its so bad its good, its so sloppy and terrible it just makes you wanna break things its pretty fun.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.06.2007 - 00:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I vote Emperor
1th I like Darkthrone too, but not all time and not all songs and I can lsiten it for example now, but not repeet album, so ...

About Emperor this band take me into BM, one of firts from BM what i listen and songs ''Kosmic keys To My Creatures And Times'' and '' IM Blacl Wizard'' its classic and album ''In Nightside Eclipse'' its one of my fav albums of time, and Emperor has sympho., melo, atmosmferic elements into music too and asoem lyrics, i like this band much
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.06.2007 - 06:17
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Emperor gets my vote, because i love how experimental their music is and the synths really add a another dimension to the music. i don't really like some of Emperor's lyrics, but the music is great. Don't get me wrong, I love Darkthrone, but Emperor is just more unique.
21.06.2007 - 09:15
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
DARKTHRONE.

Reason : TRANSILVANIAN HUNGER !! enuf said.
21.06.2007 - 15:38
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Im a huge emporer fan as it is and therefore my vote must go for emperor... They are perhaps my alltime favorite BM band. Ihashn, Samoth, Trym, Into the Nightside Eclipse, Anthems of the Welkin
Dusk, IX Equilibrium, Promethians... enough said
22.06.2007 - 02:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
like Pyro, had this question been asked earlier, I probably would have said Emperor, however Darkthrone has grown on me more and more over time.

again, like Pyro, i prefer Darkthrone largely in part thanks to their more recent releases. while i enjoy their 'classics', i really like everything they've done since (and including) 99's "Ravishing Grimness", with "The Cult is Alive" being my favorite.

unlike a lot of people, i honestly feel that the improved production has helped their sound.

i guess the fact that they've stuck around and kept releasing albums was the deciding factor.

i cannot wait for "Fuck off and Die" later this year/early next.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.06.2007 - 04:05
Stigmatized
I gotta go with Emperor. I really enjoy ITNE and IX Equilibrium quite a bit, where as with Darkthrone, I've never really enjoyed a single album.
22.06.2007 - 04:26
Trifixion
Account deleted
Darkthrone for me. Emperor is a good band and definitely more talented, but I enjoy Darkthrone's old, classic style of BM much more than Emperor's symphonic route. I don't think anything Emperor ever made combined can sound as dark and cold as any of Darkthrone's first 4 BM albums...
22.06.2007 - 06:46
Ellie
Account deleted
I am definitely saying Emperor and I will tell you why. A couple weeks ago I drove up to Chicago with some friends and we saw Emperor live and there was this energy that they had on stage that Darkthrone would never have. I have never fallen in love with Darkthrone..it has always been Emperor. I know this sounds lame..but Prometheus is definitely in my top 10 favourite albums and it isn't even one of Emperor's better albums. Nuff said.
22.06.2007 - 09:17
Eternal Flames
Emperor without a doubt. I've never been a huge Darkthrone fan. I do enjoy listening to a few albums occasionally like Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger, A Blaze in the Northern Sky, however I can't say they're one of my favourite bands. However, with Emperor, they're just incredible. I could listen to Emperor all day. I love their brand of symphonic black metal and they're very talent musicians. 'In The Nightside Eclipse' and 'Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk' were both amazing albums and even the releases after those two were still good solid albums.
23.06.2007 - 14:30
Dark_Meteor
Emperor for sure. I simply can't stand Darkthrones bad quality stuff. Emperors last album was at least of a decent quality. I didn't like Darkthrone that much anyway.
23.06.2007 - 14:44
Infurnace
I'm listening to Emperor again lately, and they pretty much are one of the best Black Metal bands ever. But still I think Darkthrone is better, because somehow I really like their crappy production.
24.06.2007 - 20:56
APOHAKC
The Bard
I voted for both good bands, not because I don't want choose one but because I really can't compare this bands, in any way. I maybe prefer Emperor a bit because I heard them first and they were one of my first metal bands. Anyway, I declined to choose because for me it is like voting for Cannibal Corps Vs HammerFall. Why? Well, for me Emperor is some kind of highest metal art, every their melody is Black Metal masterpiece and I like to like them only when I am fully concetrated on music, to hear everything. They creat black maetal for sure but kind of black metal that can stand arm to arm with any progressive metal band and still they keeped agression in their song, I am talking about new works of cause. While Darkthrone is band that I listen while drinking beer with friends, they are fucking awesome, one of my favorite metal bands ever, but their atmosphere is based on totaly different point than Emperor's. Darkthrone is metal cult, the cult is alive lol

----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
25.06.2007 - 06:51
Eternal Flame
Account deleted
Emperor is better than Darkthrone.. Because.. Darkthrone can be describe as.. Studio Artist.. No quality..
28.06.2007 - 12:41
Rimfrost
It is a draw for me. I enjoy Emperor's symphonic and tecnical BM, but I like Darkthrones pure, cold and low produced releases as much.
29.06.2007 - 22:41
Imraghil
i only know dark throne, so my awnser is simple!!!
30.06.2007 - 22:52
Baz Anderson
Staff
Emperor by far of course.. their music has way way way more depth to it..
nothing will come close to the four albums Emperor made in a long long time..
there is just no contest at all in my books
02.07.2007 - 03:14
Varegan
Hamranakara
both good band
I think darkthrone for the influence and emperor for techniques
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
03.07.2007 - 16:25
dark awakening
these two bands can't be compared to each other: emperor is a lot better 'cause of the technique, the songwriting, the style itself and the music.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
04.07.2007 - 22:30
Abattoir
Staff
I prefer Emperor. I like their style of playing (so technique) more and it just sounds better if you compare both bands.
05.07.2007 - 15:05
Hyvaarin
Both rad, but it's Darkthrone for me. Emperor's music (the later material, at least) is too convoluted for my taste, whereas Darkthrone have always been heads-down, get-the-job-done-and-get-it-done-amazingly.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
05.07.2007 - 15:34
Judas
The Amputator
I cannot choose between them. I go through phases, so it changes every few weeks for me. While I agree with Hyvaarin in that Darkthrone are a no-nonsense kind of band and focus on getting the job done as efficiently and awesomely as possible, Emperor have an X-factor in that every time you listen to a song, you can discover something new mixed into all the swirling orchestration and riffing. So, I'm voting for them both!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
11.07.2007 - 04:32
Cassandra
Account deleted
no contest, Emperor. Darkthrone is really primal black metal :necro: , which is great, but really kind of basic, emperor takes it to a whole new level, they cover the primal aspects of black metal, but add melody and depth to the music. emperor:love:
11.07.2007 - 22:06
Nemesis-Divina
Account deleted
Darkthrone gets my vote.
I prefer Darkthrone's old material to their new probably because of the crap production, their new material is more punky in your face, their music has grown more which is pretty awesome.
Emperor are cool because they're experimental with their techniques though I'm not much into symphonics in black metal.
18.07.2007 - 16:32
Infurnace
Has anyone heard the single "Canadian Metal" from the new Darkthrone album yet? It sounds pretty cool. Much in the vain of "The Cult Is Alive".
14.08.2007 - 12:29
Emperor. they are definitely my fav black metal band!
20.08.2007 - 13:19
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Emperor. Not only because I could never get into Darkthrone, but Emperor is one of my favorite BM bands too.
17.09.2007 - 14:16
jorthyf
Account deleted
The Tongue of Fire, Empty, Sworn, An Elegy of Icaros, Thorns on my Grave, Depraved...Emeperor's prog influenced material makes me hard.