Metal Storm logo
Darkthrone vs Emperor

Original post

Posted by Infurnace, 20.06.2007 - 23:40
Darkthrone and Emperor. They both play Black Metal, but they are very different from each other. For example Darkthrone plays raw, minimalistic, primitive Black Metal, but Emperor plays a more technical, symphonic form of Black Metal. I like both bands very much and they are both in my list of favorite Black Metal bands, but for me Darkthrone is the better one here, because I like their raw, old school sound. So my question is, which one of these bands do you think is better, or do you think they are equally good? I'd like to hear your opinion.

Poll

Which band do you think is better?

Emperor
Darkthrone
Both good bands

Total votes: 159
23.09.2007 - 05:43
Metal Freak
What a topic. They're both two of my favorite black metal bands (Burzum is my fave). Overall, I'd say Emperor has a very slight edge. "Transilvanian Hunger" is awesome, but "In the Nightside Eclipse" is, in my honest opinion, the greatest black metal album of all time. However, it's hard to compare the two bands. Their styles are so different. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Darkthrone. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Emperor. Lately I've been listening to Darkthrone more often. I've always listened to a lot of prog-metal (e.g. DT, Opeth, PoS), and I have been getting "progged out" as of late, so I've been preferring music as dirty and dissonant as possible. Consequently, I've been listening to a lot of Japanoise and early 80's hardcore punk, and I've also been on a Darkthrone and Craft kick lately. Yeah, it's ugly, but their music has tons of atmosphere and an astounding aesthetic appeal. "Transilvanian Hunger" just gives me the chills.
----
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things, but for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
--Steven Weinberg
19.10.2007 - 19:17
Purge
Account deleted
Emperor for me... I just can't get into Darkthrone really.
17.11.2007 - 08:04
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
For me it is just the opposite, Darkthrone really got me into more "extreme metal", but I could never get into Emperor.
17.11.2007 - 18:27
bucky01403
Account deleted
Both good bands

Emperor for creativity and superior musicianship and Darkthrone for being extremely prolific.
18.11.2007 - 03:20
selken
Irreligious
I voted for both.
Each one is good on their way, Emperor has excellen musicianship, very haunting melodies and a really good atmosphere.
Darkthrone has their sound to, the PUREST and maybe the TRUEST of all, I listen to them when I feel "Br00tal"
----
26.01.2008 - 17:33
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
yeah... i was tempted to vote on both bands, since i'm a huge fan of them... but... Emperor is superior in my opinion hehe... i dont really know why... emperor seems to have ''more soul'', its hard to explain, you can really enter the songs and imagine the melody as you listen.
Darkthrone on the otherside, it's a different black metal, has some punk riffs and the atmosphere its not as dense as in Emperor songs (except in soulside journey until panzerfaust).
Anyway.. good thing that these bands are very different besides playin the same style, they really shows the complexity of a good black metal.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.02.2008 - 14:38
NOИ
Emperor but they are shit and disbanded now. Darkthrone have a future even if they are too old and cold.
01.03.2008 - 14:40
Darkthrone for me,I am not into emperor,not my kind of music
----
No-one is closer to the Devil than me
11.03.2008 - 15:44
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Darkthrone.... They put more feel into their music. Especially in Soulside Journey and Hate Them
12.04.2008 - 16:43
Nazgal
Account deleted
I depends on my mood which band I like more. Sometimes I like symphonic Black Metal better, so I listen to Emperor, and some other time I'm more into raw, old-school Black Metal, such as Darkthrone. I must say that I listen to Darkthrone a lot more. Emperor is pretty good, but it gets a bit boring after some time.
12.04.2008 - 16:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Darkthrone... the new Black'n'Roll is awesome shit...
Really catchy and dirty.

And Emperor was never something interesting for me...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.08.2008 - 22:19
crimsonmoon
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 15:44

Darkthrone.... They put more feel into their music. Especially in Soulside Journey and Hate Them

yea soulside journey is the best
10.08.2008 - 22:55
Metal_Militia
//Darkthrone for me because i only like Anthems and Nightside by Emperor while I like almost every release by Darkthrone//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

11.08.2008 - 01:53
Frija
Hard choice.. I picked both, but I think I like Emperor a bit more. In the Nightside Eclipse is one of my favorite albums ever.
11.08.2008 - 12:55
TheBigRossowski
Darkthrone, hands down. I got into Emperor first and I love the shit, especially Nightside Eclipse, but I'm just too into Darkthrone past that! Northern Sky is a bone crushing album and it's been my favorite Darkthrone for years.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
18.08.2008 - 17:39
Reborn Nemesis
Emperor - always have been, always will be...
----
... For blood I hunger, possessed by the dark...

... No remorse, I'll tear your flesh apart...
18.08.2008 - 17:41
MathC
Account deleted
Emperor annoy me. They should just stop the melodic pseudo intellectual musical wankery.

Darkthrone shits all over them.
18.08.2008 - 19:03
Sunioj
Emperor for me, even though I listen to more raw BM than melodic I can't stand Darkthrone.

Call me insane.
18.08.2008 - 19:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
Both are good bands yes, but Emperor's first three albums owns Darkthrone any day! I guess that their more melodical approach appeal more to me.
----
20.08.2008 - 14:46
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
While they both are good bands, I would say emperor is way cooler. lol. so guess who gets my vote
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
20.08.2008 - 14:49
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Sunioj on 18.08.2008 at 19:03

Emperor for me, even though I listen to more raw BM than melodic I can't stand Darkthrone.

Call me insane.

Eh, I wouldn't, not everybody can stand Nocturno's vocals. Frankly, I think they would have been better had they remained a DM band. I mean, I still like their BM, but Soulside journey showed so much potential that was never fullfilled.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
24.08.2008 - 05:28
Sorg
Account deleted
Darkthrone wrote some really good stuff, and Fenriz is a really awesome guy, but the newer stuff is kinda not doing it for me. Emperor blows me away from first demo to last album. Ihsahn ist ein übermensch!
29.10.2008 - 05:00
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Darkthrone is great but overall I prefer Emperor if I really have to pick
----
Coldgrits
12.11.2008 - 02:57
Demigodc
I like both bands but i'm more into Symphonic Black Metal so i'll go with Emperor.
21.03.2009 - 00:43
metalhead3
Both bands are great but i voted for emperor,for me emperor is better than darkthrone
31.05.2009 - 06:04
Nyxgrinder
Im amazed of this
Darkthrone is great.......they spent their lives playing good music
they do not care if you weill tag them as black metal or whatevur
they shouldn´t be behind the votes.....
Under a funeral moon is a bad ass song
I will thank if someone can tell me if Emperor has a song as bad as as that one...........
31.05.2009 - 15:12
Sephiroth
Account deleted
I prefer to Emperor. Darkthrone is maybe too primitive and raw black metal for me, so I'm not really into it, altough some raw black metal is pretty good. It depend's in the band. Emperor is a bit more Symphonic Black Metal, which appeals to me better. I also like Emperor's latest album, "Prometheus", which is pretty progressive, and differs pretty radically from Emperor's first two albums.
31.05.2009 - 15:28
Smurfophagist
What the hell...it's like comparing pears and apples...a pointless topic...
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
19.08.2009 - 02:02
Razorback
I like both bands but i voted emperor,i consider them better musicians,but it's kinda pointless to compare these two bands.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
30.09.2009 - 11:39
Heru Goroth
Both are good bands, but i like emperor more, i think they are better, Gods of Black Metal in my opinion... "an elegy of icaros" & "Curse u all men" are my favorite songs... and i like ihsahn the best...
----
Yes, you are indeed the few;
I am the one...