Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian

Original post

Posted by Judas, 21.06.2007 - 14:35
Alright, since the old thread was locked because we posted to the limit, here's the new one!

To get us re-started, I think I'll wish Frederik a Happy 29th Birthday.

Also, have any of you bought the 'Another Stranger Me' single, and if so, do you recommend getting it? I usually don't get EPs and singles, but if they're good then I can make exceptions. I've already seen the video (which was weird, at least for Blind Guardian), but some of the songs are new. Also, any comments on their appearance at Hellfest would be much appreciated, from those fortunate enough to see them there.
05.01.2011 - 12:37
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
I've got the remastered editions of all albums (ATITM is in the mail to complete my BG studio albums collection), and I'm really disappointed with the booklets that come with them - they are all the same: cover/backcover and some gothic sans MS font letter on a beige background in between. Very dull to look at. The NIME one doesn't have the interlude texts. I don't know how did they look in the original issues, but I believe that they must have been richer.

As for the sound - BoF and FtB are the only ones where you can you hear the difference.

BoF has the best bonuses - the whole Lucifer's Heritage demo, and TFT comes second with some rare covers. Other have only some demo version of various songs, nothing really interesting (I would have appreciated the orchestral version of Nightfall on NIME for example).
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
05.01.2011 - 14:26
RavenKing
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 05.01.2011 at 12:37

BoF has the best bonuses - the whole Lucifer's Heritage demo, and TFT comes second with some rare covers. Other have only some demo version of various songs, nothing really interesting (I would have appreciated the orchestral version of Nightfall on NIME for example).

Demo songs are usually not worth listening to due to piss-poor recording quality (which is not to confuse with raw sound, as it is not the same at all). Especially if they are demo versions of songs you can find in their 'official' version. The only time I find demo songs interesting is when there is no 'official' version, so the only way to hear the songs is by listening to demo versions and the song quality is raw but not too shitty (borderline shitty can be enjoyable, it depends).
For example, if you buy "Spiritual Twilight" (Hellsaw), you get the demo "Sins Of Might" and this demo is awesome.

As for covers, I find this pointless and not interesting at all. I never listen to any cover.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
19.03.2011 - 19:32
Rog-Mothoth
The first time i heard BG was when i decided i wanted 2 check out power metal bands on youtube and when i hear "Into the Storm" of ov NiME... i was hooked forever more and sat down and listened to the entire album and now i bought AtEoT and i LOVE it. The only thing is is that (and dont ridicule me) when i listened to IFtOS i didnt like it maybe i should listen to it more....
----
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
20.03.2011 - 02:01
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Rog-Mothoth on 19.03.2011 at 19:32

The only thing is is that (and dont ridicule me) when i listened to IFtOS i didnt like it maybe i should listen to it more....

Might be... each album has its own identity to surprise to the listener, they are very different =).
20.03.2011 - 02:08
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Rog-Mothoth on 19.03.2011 at 19:32

The first time i heard BG was when i decided i wanted 2 check out power metal bands on youtube and when i hear "Into the Storm" of ov NiME... i was hooked forever more and sat down and listened to the entire album and now i bought AtEoT and i LOVE it. The only thing is is that (and dont ridicule me) when i listened to IFtOS i didnt like it maybe i should listen to it more....

Give it a few more spins dude, it's a fucking awesome album
18.10.2011 - 06:30
Void Eater
Account deleted
I am quickly starting to think that Blind Guarsian is the best metal band ever. How many other bands have 7 consecutive classics, each a progression upon the previous album, being able to play fast and hard hitting speed metal and ballady symphonic power metal, have possibly the best metal vocalist of all time, and generally be as awesome as they are in general? Black Sabbath has more classics under their belt, but as high quality as albums such as Imaginations and Nightfall.
18.10.2011 - 06:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 06:30
How many other bands have 7 consecutive classics

Korn.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.10.2011 - 06:45
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.10.2011 at 06:33

How many other bands have 7 consecutive classics

Korn.

And Brokencyde, if you include their E.P's and mixtapes.
19.10.2011 - 01:59
Vikcen
Metálico

I am quickly starting to think that Blind Guarsian is the best metal band ever. How many other bands have 7 consecutive classics, each a progression upon the previous album, being able to play fast and hard hitting speed metal and ballady symphonic power metal, have possibly the best metal vocalist of all time, and generally be as awesome as they are in general? Black Sabbath has more classics under their belt, but as high quality as albums such as Imaginations and Nightfall.

Not the best ever, but yes within the top three hehe =).
01.11.2011 - 07:17
Zelse
Their first five albums are their best, in my opinion. With Nightfall, they began to experiment with the vocal layering and more orchestral sounds, effectively abandoning the sound they started off with. Not saying that's bad - I just got into Guardian through Imaginations, and I think that's their best album. The ones before that have some incredible metal music, too.

Of course, all of their albums are fantastic. I think Nightfall is their weakest with only a few good songs on it, but A Night At The Opera more than makes up for it. Hell yes.
17.11.2011 - 22:02
Still haven't managed to see these guys live yet but have the whole discography and there isn't really an album I don't like! The you tube videos of the crowd not letting Vahalla end when it's played live are pretty cool, I also love the occasional random covers like dream a little dream and surfing USA that randomly pop up on my ipod and confuse my little brain in the morning!
----
Heavy Metal Bullet
Blog for New Metal Bands and Album/Gig Reviews
http://heavymetalbullet.blogspot.com/
03.12.2011 - 01:35
Perculees
Hey guys hows it going? I just wanted to post a link to a video we made to blind guardians cover of you're the voice. We had so much fun making it and have made many more but we wanted to see what people think of our efforts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu9fyr8i9G8&feature=channel_video_title
03.12.2011 - 02:22
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Perculees on 03.12.2011 at 01:35

Hey guys hows it going? I just wanted to post a link to a video we made to blind guardians cover of you're the voice. We had so much fun making it and have made many more but we wanted to see what people think of our efforts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu9fyr8i9G8&feature=channel_video_title

You are the voice try and understand it!
Make a noise and make it clear!!
Oh wooo wooo wooo!!! Oh wooo wooo wooo!!!

We are not gonna sit in silence!
We are not gonna live with fear!!
Oh wooo wooo wooo!!! Oh wooo wooo wooo!!!

03.12.2011 - 02:34
Perculees
Its such a great song to start and I just love their cover so much!
05.12.2011 - 17:52
Purplepiper
Blind Guardian... I think this band recorded one of the best albums in the history. Nightfall in Middle Earth. NFIME is probably one of my top 3 albums. The theme of course is out of debate EPIC! Now although Blind Guardians late work is very good i want to talk about their early stuff. In their more speed metal soundlike times they made pretty good songs too. Valhalla , Majesty , Follow the blind , Beyond the Ice are some examples i can think of right now. Their low sound quality demo songs are great ,unlike most of the bands. Symphonies of Doom for example was great as i recall. The best thing about this band is that it changed a lot in time. Its first era was more speed metal power metal but lately its more based on power metal / folk metal with more dramatised symphonies.(more keyboards n stuff). Vocals and instruments are very good. I have much fun playing some of their songs in my guitar.(Gandalf Rebirt etc.) Alhough i think Time stands still(at the iron hills) is my favourite song and it is also about my favourite part in the book. "Silmirilion"
18.12.2011 - 10:24
bran
Written by Purplepiper on 05.12.2011 at 17:52

Blind Guardian... I think this band recorded one of the best albums in the history. Nightfall in Middle Earth. NFIME is probably one of my top 3 albums. The theme of course is out of debate EPIC! Now although Blind Guardians late work is very good i want to talk about their early stuff. In their more speed metal soundlike times they made pretty good songs too. Valhalla , Majesty , Follow the blind , Beyond the Ice are some examples i can think of right now. Their low sound quality demo songs are great ,unlike most of the bands. Symphonies of Doom for example was great as i recall. The best thing about this band is that it changed a lot in time. Its first era was more speed metal power metal but lately its more based on power metal / folk metal with more dramatised symphonies.(more keyboards n stuff). Vocals and instruments are very good. I have much fun playing some of their songs in my guitar.(Gandalf Rebirt etc.) Alhough i think Time stands still(at the iron hills) is my favourite song and it is also about my favourite part in the book. "Silmirilion"

NFIME is my fave blind guardian album mirror mirror is just fucking magical
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
24.05.2012 - 23:09
Anyone know who the new bass and keyboard players are? I saw some pics from Chile and neither Mi Schuren or Oliver played (which is understandable since they are with Savage Circus/Rhapsody now).
26.05.2012 - 02:33
Mr. Blonde
I feel they have the mark of a great band due to this simple phenomenon:
Fans of the genre could easily find Blind Guardian to be their favorite power metal band, perhaps favorite band period.
People who despise the genre though, could also find Blind Guardian to be their favorite (or at least most tolerated) power metal band, and perhaps favorite band period wouldn't even be that shocking either.
26.05.2012 - 02:47
Mr. Blonde
Written by SkaldfraNorden on 24.05.2012 at 23:09

Anyone know who the new bass and keyboard players are? I saw some pics from Chile and neither Mi Schuren or Oliver played (which is understandable since they are with Savage Circus/Rhapsody now).

Having not seen the pics, I don't know for certain, but the keyboardist could be Pat Bender though I don't think he did anything with them outside of the studio. I don't know who is on bass live now though.
26.05.2012 - 03:45
Written by Mr. Blonde on 26.05.2012 at 02:47

Written by SkaldfraNorden on 24.05.2012 at 23:09

Having not seen the pics, I don't know for certain, but the keyboardist could be Pat Bender though I don't think he did anything with them outside of the studio. I don't know who is on bass live now though.

Bassist is Barend Courbois from Vengeance (NL), according to comment here

And you can see the keyboard player on the Bard's Song clip, would be grateful if you could confirm if it is Pat Bender

14.06.2012 - 09:38
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Not to sound like a stupid fanboy or anything but Blind Guardian is without a doubt one of my favorite bands of all time. I remember being introduced to them after having a sudden urge to just look for more melodic metal music, the spark probably came from listening to Blaze Bayley's "Promse and Terror". As I went looking, Blind Guardian's name popped up, and I decided to search them on iTunes, and after having heard their single "Fly" from "A Twist in the Myth", I was impressed. I then proceeded to get most of their albums on iTunes, and the ones I didn't buy (because i ran out of money on my gift card or was otherwise not available), I eventually bought on CD. One of the albums is my favorite by the band, and probably my favorite album of all time, A Night at the Opera (which wasn't even available on iTunes in the first place). I loved it so much, that I actually bought a T-Shirt with the album cover on it on Ebay. Nightfall in Middle Earth I also bought on CD and it definitely comes at a very close second for me as well. Blind Guardian's music is how i have always imagined "good" power metal to sound like, and they have never disappointed me with their material. Sorry for the long post, but anyway, Long Live The Bards!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
31.12.2012 - 22:23
Aristarchos
Although they haven't got any perfect album close to Keeper 2, there aren't any other power metal band who have so many albums I like. Nightfall In Middle-Earth is their most boring album, perhaps along with their two latest.
11.01.2013 - 02:26
Chriwalker
Account deleted
Blind Guardian didn't really get through to me before The Edge of Time, after that album I went through some of their records and still have some way to go. TEOT or Somewhere far Beyond is to date my favourite albums from them, as of Somewhere far Beyond and And Then There was Silence is my fav songs
11.01.2013 - 20:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 11.01.2013 at 02:26

Blind Guardian didn't really get through to me before The Edge of Time, after that album I went through some of their records and still have some way to go. TEOT or Somewhere far Beyond is to date my favourite albums from them, as of Somewhere far Beyond and And Then There was Silence is my fav songs

OMG man you get all wrong .... BG was awesome omly till Nighfal era
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.01.2013 - 13:07
Chriwalker
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 11.01.2013 at 20:45

Written by Guest on 11.01.2013 at 02:26

OMG man you get all wrong .... BG was awesome omly till Nighfal era

That is really only a matter of opinion. I think they are just as awesome today as they where when I listen to the older records
21.12.2015 - 01:34
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Just came back from their gig here in Prague and it must be my best concert ever...small venue, only up to 500 ppl, but the atmosphere and singing along was just so awesome...BG know their part and fans knew their
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.12.2015 - 11:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 21.12.2015 at 01:34

Just came back from their gig here in Prague and it must be my best concert ever...small venue, only up to 500 ppl, but the atmosphere and singing along was just so awesome...BG know their part and fans knew their

it was awesome because of old songs
----

apos;'
[image]
22.12.2015 - 00:29
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well, thats at least partly true - because almost all folks know Nightfall, Mirror Mirror, Bard's Song or Last Candle by heart, so they can sing along...the last two albums aint totally dull, but peeps just dont know

anyway, the setlist was genius
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-guardian/2015/meet-factory-prague-czech-republic-7bf21e24.html

(i would only add: Curse My Name, Turn The Page, Another Holly War and Somewhere Far Beyond to have all my dreams fulfiled )
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.12.2015 - 01:01
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Nice setlist indeed. Blind Guardian are always great live, mostly because the fans sing and sing and the band is really happy with that
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
22.12.2015 - 02:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 22.12.2015 at 00:29

Well, thats at least partly true - because almost all folks know Nightfall, Mirror Mirror, Bard's Song or Last Candle by heart, so they can sing along...the last two albums aint totally dull, but peeps just dont know

anyway, the setlist was genius
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-guardian/2015/meet-factory-prague-czech-republic-7bf21e24.html

(i would only add: Curse My Name, Turn The Page, Another Holly War and Somewhere Far Beyond to have all my dreams fulfiled )

I say last 4 albums
----

apos;'
[image]