Release date: March 2020

01. Cold Guiding Light
02. Empty Hearts
03. Images And Memories
04. Above The Sea
05. The Sailor Waves Goodbye
06. A Father's Death
07. The End Of Hope

Durere (noun - Romanian): Pain, ache, suffering.

Durere is the fourth full-length by Clouds, the band of choice for when you wallow in sorrow and want to reach the deepest ends of the vastest sadness. They provide the space and the soundscape to make you feel absolutely at home with your melancholy. For some, this is not much more than a one-trick pony and I don't really have valid arguments to support any opposing opinion but who can say that they haven't been repeating this formula in the most sincere and convincing way?

What I love about Clouds is that they make music that is comforting by "telling" you that it's okay to be sad, it's okay to grieve, it's okay to feel devastated by tragic life events. This music doesn't rush you to get back up after you have fallen, it doesn't judge your feelings of weakness or helplessness; instead, it chooses to dance with your sorrow hand in hand. This particular album is an ode to the loss of parents, a tragic journey of grief towards closure. The songs sound as if they all share the same funereal riff, and it is the emotive acoustic guitars, the solemn piano, the lyrical flute, the lamenting violin, and the suffering growls behaving as the main companions in this journey through pain and towards redemption.

Granted, the songwriting is sort of predictable with slow acoustic parts, soothing clean vocals and mournful melodies of string instruments in the beginning of the songs that build up into a familiar death doom riff. The pairing of this riff with unearthly growls ("Cold Guiding Light"), slightly folksy and doomgaze (new term?) eruptions ("Empty Hearts"), intricate solo work ("Images And Memories") or, finally, with all of the aforementioned weaved together seamlessly ("The End Of Hope") is they key to their emotional impact. This mix of melodic doom, death doom and funeral doom is not of course unheard of, but how often does it come across as genuine as it does on Durere? If the piano on "Above The Sea" doesn't make your heart feel like it is bleeding, I am sorry but it means that you have no heart.

Clouds isn't a band to listen to every day and on any occasion. Their albums tend to push you closer and closer to the edge of the cliff and tempt you to just give up and jump into the void, but it is also their captivating beauty that somehow lets the sun come out briefly to warm your soul and protect it from the coldness of despair. When gloomy days come and you need a fitting soundtrack for those, pick Durere. It will hold your hand and stand beside you at the edge of nothingness.

"So I empty all my thoughts
Carrying images and memories
I've lost so long ago
Never to return"

Written on 16.04.2020 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 110 users
16.04.2020 - 11:58
Rating: 7
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Yeah, technically it is their 4th album, but with also the Destin almost full length EP and with the Dor bonus album, it feels more like the 6th Clouds album in barely over 5 years. Doliu was such a great album, but I've been having a harder and harder time really connecting to their albums ever since the band basically became Daniel Neagoe's solo project.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
16.04.2020 - 12:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I love how you describe this album and whole genre, whole doom, its mid 90's way of make a music, feelings,sadness, grief, , poetical lyrics whit deeper thoughts, I miss how your country mate from Patras, who knows his birth village Kostas or Guz we know him DerRozzengarden was good whit language
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.04.2020 - 13:24
nikarg
Staff
I have read somewhere that Daniel felt he had said all he needed to say with Clouds and did not intend to continue releasing albums with them. It was the death of his father that made him write one more. I really like everything this band has put out, Durere included, it is just that at this point it has become somewhat repetitive. That said, there are a few moments in Durere where I feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
16.04.2020 - 13:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 16.04.2020 at 13:24

I have read somewhere that Daniel felt he had said all he needed to say with Clouds and did not intend to continue releasing albums with them. It was the death of his father that made him write one more. I really like everything this band has put out, Durere included, it is just that at this point it has become somewhat repetitive. That said, there are a few moments in Durere where I feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Same like MDB Aron wrote my father left forever and later his old man died, he said he dont wanna play it live, but he needs
----

apos;'
[image]
16.04.2020 - 14:35
MetalManic
"unearthly growls"-----perfectly described
16.04.2020 - 17:10
Rating: 9
Interesting review. I agree with most of it but would rate the album higher.

I sm particularly impressed with Clouds (this album especially) because of how technically simple the instrumentation is, yet they manage to create an overwhelmingly immersive atmosphere. The songs actually make your surroundings feel different.
16.04.2020 - 21:08
FYA
Destroyer
Written by RaduP on 16.04.2020 at 11:58

Yeah, technically it is their 4th album, but with also the Destin almost full length EP and with the Dor bonus album, it feels more like the 6th Clouds album in barely over 5 years.t.

Indeed - EP in doom metal may have length of metal bands regular album.
17.04.2020 - 07:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
EP should be max 30 min, album from 30 to more.
----

apos;'
[image]
17.04.2020 - 10:39
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Really liked this album, specially that Above the Sea song. It throws back to early 90's doom death without sounding rehashed or anything like that. Though i felt some songs do drag a bit longer than they should, sacrifing composing quality for the sake of song length. But this is doom metal after all, and long songs are its dna. Alongside Threnos is for now the best doom record of 2020.
18.04.2020 - 20:45
tintinb
Dor was such a great album. Cloud really knows how to put despair into music.
----
Leeches everywhere.
14.02.2021 - 02:21
tintinb
Your review felt like I am reading a poem. It resonates well with cloud's music.
----
Leeches everywhere.
19.10.2021 - 12:41
Rating: 7
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
In retrospect, this might be my least favourite Clouds album, simply because it lacks the only thing that still gets me excited about new Clouds: guest performances.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 3022 | This month: 16