Metal Storm logo
Anathema - Going On Indefinite Hiatus

Sad news for the fans and sympathizers of Anathema. In a public statement, the band have announced that they will go on an indefinite hiatus. More can be read below.

As per the band's official site: Dear Anathema family. This year is one like no others. We've all - every one of you included - faced unpredictable challenges, which impacted both our professional and personal situations. In this hardest of times, events over the year have left us with no option but to go on an indefinite hiatus. As individuals, it is now time to pursue other paths in life.

We are beyond grateful for everyone's support over the years. There is no end to the love and respect we have for our fans for giving us the best years of our lives. The generosity you all showed following the unexpected cancellation of our tour will always stay with us.

We could never have anticipated how this year would turn out. Many, many thanks. Anathema.

Source: anathemamusic.com
Band profile: Anathema
Posted: 23.09.2020 by MetalManic

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 31   Visited by: 256 users
23.09.2020 - 14:32
Lanthros
Sad but understandable news.
23.09.2020 - 16:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Count me among the few who enjoyed the new direction they were heading in. Was really looking forward to seeing how they progressed from there, but I suppose that will have to wait for now -- maybe forever.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.09.2020 - 17:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What a good news,. it should happen in mid 90's
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.09.2020 - 17:55
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 23.09.2020 at 17:51

that's a bit arrogant and spiteful.
See, you're doing it again. Just because you dislike an artist, it does not mean that artist shouldn't create music.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
23.09.2020 - 20:03
nikarg
Staff
If Anathema are struggling so much with the current situation that they have to take an indefinite break, you can imagine how bleak the future looks for small bands.

I haven't cared much for their music for ages now, but this is sad news regardless.
23.09.2020 - 21:12
Khold Baroness
One of the great bands of all time 🙏🌠🖤🎵💙🎶🦇🎩
23.09.2020 - 21:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 23.09.2020 at 20:03

If Anathema are struggling so much with the current situation that they have to take an indefinite break, you can imagine how bleak the future looks for small bands.

I haven't cared much for their music for ages now, but this is sad news regardless.

I never cared about it since I was born to late when they was active, same goe sto Gathering, I am proud I dislike those bands, same I am proud to say same about King Diamon and Devin Tousend even last 2 plays metal.
Anatema and The Gathering dont belong to metal community anymore, I still dont know why metalheads likes them and they can play in metakl festival. Imagine dimmu borgir plays at same stage as this band .... sounds ironic.
World wont die whit out this and when shit be over, many metal bands will come back, since 95% has jobs and music is what they love, not make money.
----

apos;'
[image]
23.09.2020 - 22:30
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 23.09.2020 at 21:55

Written by nikarg on 23.09.2020 at 20:03

I never cared about it since I was born to late when they was active, same goe sto Gathering, I am proud I dislike those bands, same I am proud to say same about King Diamon and Devin Tousend even last 2 plays metal.
Anatema and The Gathering dont belong to metal community anymore, I still dont know why metalheads likes them and they can play in metakl festival. Imagine dimmu borgir plays at same stage as this band .... sounds ironic.
World wont die whit out this and when shit be over, many metal bands will come back, since 95% has jobs and music is what they love, not make money.

yeah, spiteful, I was not wrong, also assholish.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
23.09.2020 - 22:42
Redel
I have been a fan ever since, certainly less and less over the years.
Everything they have done until, and including, Judgement (1999) has some excellence.
The events of this year can also serve as a good reason to end something that is not really going in a promising direction any more.

Thanks for everything, guys.
24.09.2020 - 00:35
TheBigRossowski
Written by JoHn Doe on 23.09.2020 at 22:30

yeah, spiteful, I was not wrong, also assholish.

Yeah, I've been on the website for a long time, even if I never get around to forums and what not. Generally realized early on to ignore that guy.

Sad news indeed. Anathema, regardless of their standing in the metal community, has meant a lot to me. It pains me to see them go into a hiatus. Hopefully they will come together and play the Prognosis festival still.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
24.09.2020 - 02:20
MetalManic
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I've been on the website for a long time, even if I never get around to forums and what not. Generally realized early on to ignore that guy.

How else does one get to that brag worthy 20000 comments total? Gotta fill the box with negative trash on a regular basis to reach such divine heights.
24.09.2020 - 02:52
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Not really a big loss. Their last album was quite embarrasing.

At least they did great stuff in the past.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
24.09.2020 - 06:28
panths
Anathema gave us great great albums.ok the last 5 for ME and only ME are....lets say not good,especialy Vincent voice was too swallow.but it's good news.....maybe rejoined with Patterson .ha..who knows....
24.09.2020 - 22:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Quote:
Written by MetalManic on 24.09.2020 at 02:20

How else does one get to that brag worthy 20000 comments total? Gotta fill the box with negative trash on a regular basis to reach such divine heights.

Hey now.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.09.2020 - 23:25
MetalManic
Quote:
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.09.2020 at 22:26

Written by MetalManic on 24.09.2020 at 02:20

Hey now.

Woah, I didn't see that you were up to that number as well.
25.09.2020 - 00:44
nikarg
Staff

There is nothing wrong with making money out of making music. It doesn't mean that you love music less if it is also profitable for you. Musicians are artists and being an artist is a real job, not a hobby. And a very important one, too. Imagine how fucked up life would be without musicians, actors, painters, etc. Dull, boring, and depressing. Artists should be able to live off their art, that's what I think at least.
25.09.2020 - 00:52
musclassia
Staff
The Optimist wasn't as consistently great as Weather Systems (an album that slowly but surely worked its magic over me in the past 8 years), but it had quality songs (Endless Ways, Ghosts, Back to The Start in particular) to demonstrate that they were still very capable of writing enchanting, atmospheric music. It's a real shame that we may never hear any more of that sound, but as Nik said, if a band as established as Anathema can't withstand this, you would imagine a number of other large acts are in danger of entering similar hiatuses. I expect the very underground bands probably don't make any profit from being in a band anyway so may not be as at-risk, but this can't be a good time at all for groups containing full-time musicians.
25.09.2020 - 03:55
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
As a die hard longtime fan of Anathema this hit me really hard. The majority of their music was inspiring to me and always gave me hope through their depressing music. However, I am sure that they will come back in the future. This is alarming among small artists and underground acts because of how catastrophic the coronavirus is to the music industry regardless.
25.09.2020 - 06:58
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Absolutely loved A Fine Day to Exit, A Natural Disaster, and We're Here Because We're Here. Then their albums slowly started getting less consistent, leading all the way up to their last album, which was just boring. I hope they come back... but if they do, I really hope they can return to form a bit.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
25.09.2020 - 11:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 25.09.2020 at 00:44

There is nothing wrong with making money out of making music. It doesn't mean that you love music less if it is also profitable for you. Musicians are artists and being an artist is a real job, not a hobby. And a very important one, too. Imagine how fucked up life would be without musicians, actors, painters, etc. Dull, boring, and depressing. Artists should be able to live off their art, that's what I think at least.
i agree, but to me i am suprise How many metalheads likes this band... Same time this thing has affect whole world...
----

apos;'
[image]
25.09.2020 - 21:57
Joppe
Steelemeister
New music would always be welcome; the past doesn't matter, we don't need only 10/10 albums, even 1 good song on an album can make a difference, it can be great and have a positive impact on us. I'm surprised to see all the "I don't care about them anymore" comments; you don't have to take it so personally, the band doesn't exist for any of us listeners individually; we don't need to get butthurt if the genres change; it's their choice what they're going to play. Personally I don't care if the recent albums aren't the strongest they've done, I would still give the new one a listen. Metal, less metal, not metal, whatever, it's still the same band, same songwriters, it's still "Anathema".
----
My vision is augmented
26.09.2020 - 02:52
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Written by Joppe on 25.09.2020 at 21:57

New music would always be welcome; the past doesn't matter, we don't need only 10/10 albums, even 1 good song on an album can make a difference, it can be great and have a positive impact on us. I'm surprised to see all the "I don't care about them anymore" comments; you don't have to take it so personally, the band doesn't exist for any of us listeners individually; we don't need to get butthurt if the genres change; it's their choice what they're going to play. Personally I don't care if the recent albums aren't the strongest they've done, I would still give the new one a listen. Metal, less metal, not metal, whatever, it's still the same band, same songwriters, it's still "Anathema".

Not everyone who dislikes their last couple releases dislikes their softer stuff. Even A Fine Day to Exit - which is now quite old - is not metal at all. All of the albums of theirs I named that I love are all very soft, accessible albums. That's not the issue with their new albums, they just aren't very good. It's nothing against the band, I'd still be excited if they released a new album one day.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
26.09.2020 - 17:30
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Very sad news though understandable. I was thinking now this year I am going to watch them live finally and bam the pandemic! I got to wait in ETERNITY maybe!
----
The Fangirl.
26.09.2020 - 22:11
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 26.09.2020 at 02:52

Written by Joppe on 25.09.2020 at 21:57

Not everyone who dislikes their last couple releases dislikes their softer stuff. Even A Fine Day to Exit - which is now quite old - is not metal at all. All of the albums of theirs I named that I love are all very soft, accessible albums. That's not the issue with their new albums, they just aren't very good. It's nothing against the band, I'd still be excited if they released a new album one day.

Looks like most people -- me included -- agree about the new albums being weak, but it's not enough for me to stop caring about them or ditching the band. I can find some good songs from these weaker albums too, the albums are running almost 1 hour so if I write that the overall impression is weak there can still be 2-3 great songs that can make the album essential. And even if there wasn't, a new album is always a fresh start IMO when it comes to quality of music, there is no reason to believe that past releases determine in any way how the quality of new music will be. So, yes I as well would be excited to see the band continue and it baffles me that some people wouldn't.
----
My vision is augmented
30.09.2020 - 23:48
Bleeding angel
I shed a tear
10.10.2020 - 09:04
RazMan

That was unnecessary. You could've just not comment. Based on your other comments, I had a positive image of you, but turns out you are just a miserable douche...
10.10.2020 - 11:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RazMan on 10.10.2020 at 09:04

That was unnecessary. You could've just not comment. Based on your other comments, I had a positive image of you, but turns out you are just a miserable douche...
its simple, idont like This band, i dont like King Diamond, merciful fate, read burn festival line up, new katatonia and few other bands.
----

apos;'
[image]
11.10.2020 - 10:16
RazMan
Written by Bad English on 10.10.2020 at 11:22

its simple, idont like This band, i dont like King Diamond, merciful fate, read burn festival line up, new katatonia and few other bands.

I don't like a lot of bands. But I don't get any satisfaction from them loosing their musical careers because of a global pandemic.
11.10.2020 - 11:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

That was unnecessary. You could've just not comment. Based on your other comments, I had a positive image of you,
I don't like a lot of bands. But I don't get any satisfaction from them loosing their musical careers because of a global pandemic.

They are dramatic.many smaller bands made it. To me when such bands broke up, its extra satisfaction
----

apos;'
[image]
14.10.2020 - 19:12
RazMan
I get my satisfaction from quite different things, but to each his own.

Hits total: 3417 | This month: 19