Metal Storm logo
UKBM

19.07.2007 - 22:54
Nocturnum Pestis
Account deleted
I was wondering what you guys think of the English black metal "scene".
I think alot of it has gone unnoticed even by English fans, (that's probably down to either lack of interest or the fact that we have probably have the weakest underground metal scene in Europe or even the world) according to the metal archives we have only 295 active BM bands from this country, but what we lack in numbers we make up for in shear quality of music (there is not [to my knowledge] a bad English BM band bar Arcane Church, they are probaly the worst example of the UKBM sound).
Now being from the UK these bands also have a slight hint of NWOBHM/Heavy Metal riffing.
bands such as Necro Ritual, Reign Of Erebus, Spearhead, Thus Defiled, The One, Abgott, Extinction, Heathen Deity, Hecate Enthroned, Archaicus, Crimson Darkness, Anaal Nathrakh (to name a few) are all amazing but all sound different (I don't think there is any UKBM bands that sound the same) and are good representatives of the genre (some are more well known than others).
Tell us your opinions on this (on a whole) widely neglected "scene", share bands that I haven't mentioned etc.
19.07.2007 - 23:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
IMO this scene has not so know because UK are heavy metal, NVOBHM, death/doom and grind land but black metal, (CoF dont counts)
Firts band what I know was Anaal Nathrakt but I dont like them
From your mentioned bands I know Abgott and Reign Of Erebus
Others dunno but I had sene and read about other bands there but ist be silly search names and post, so i know 2 I know its non enought
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.07.2007 - 02:21
APOHAKC
The Bard
From English Black Metal scene I love only few bands. Firstly, of cause Cradle Of Filth (Please, but please, don't quote me with stupidities that is not black metal and similar). Beside them, I like Forefather, awesome Pagan Black Metal, and The Meads Of Asphodel. Both bands are creating perfect atmosphere. I am not fun of bands like Necro Ritual and Hecate Ethroned. Just don't like their style
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
20.07.2007 - 10:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by APOHAKC on 20.07.2007 at 02:21

From English Black Metal scene I love only few bands. Firstly, of cause Cradle Of Filth (Please, but please, don't quote me with stupidities that is not black metal and similar). Beside them, I like Forefather, awesome Pagan Black Metal, and The Meads Of Asphodel. Both bands are creating perfect atmosphere. I am not fun of bands like Necro Ritual and Hecate Ethroned. Just don't like their style

OMG I forgot them good band sindeed good lyrics and awsoem music hehe i love them
----

apos;'
[image]
20.07.2007 - 13:14
Damnated
Churchburner
this is like the 4th thread discussing the scene of a country.... and the uk doesn't even have a strong scene. there a few bands that i like, Niroth and the meads of asphodel, but that's about it...
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.07.2007 - 13:57
Nocturnum Pestis
Account deleted
Well of course there will be threads discussing a scene of a country, it's only natural in an extreme metal forum and is a better way to discuss about bands than making several other separate threads about them individually. I don't want to get into an argument about this.
I started this topic to help people out who might not know much about our "scene" and I am fully aware that it isn't very strong (probably because people in our country want to make indie music or metalcore xD) and just wanted to inform and receive opinions about it.
I think that our "scene" though weak is unique in the fact that we don't have many (if any) copyists, all the bands are distinct and have individual stamps (the only common trait that is among the bands is the guitar solos, that probably comes from the countries history of NWOBHM though, like US have the common trait of a certain DM riffing present in the music).
21.07.2007 - 03:44
Damnated
Churchburner
you are right, but this board already lacks underground black metal listeners, so i don't see the point of promoting a scene wich has few good semi underground bands. yes, there are good bands in the deep underground, like Niroth ie, but nobody knows about them.

anywyas, i have to stop bitching.... here's a link to Niroth's myspace, there are 2-3 streamable songs available . http://www.myspace.com/niroth
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.07.2007 - 10:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
IMO nowdays in UK metals cene are underground more how it was in 6otuies. 7oties 80ties watchingf reckworld tv Im bored after 2minutes havnt seen nothing good there, also seems bands are afraid play something different damn those was a days whn Paradise Lost play death/doom
Doe sther ein UK are alot metalhedas like Richard whit such hair, letter jackets, boots and 80ties dress code?
----

apos;'
[image]
21.07.2007 - 20:47
Richard
Elite
I suppose this thread is more about the current 'scene' - but still, in a thread called 'UKBM' I think that Venom certainly deserves a mention, as Venom pretty much started the whole thing rolling by coining the phrase 'Black Metal' in the first place!

For more recent British BM which hasn't been mentioned yet, I recommend Swine. I started a thread about Swine on the old version of MS, and I remember that a few other MS members took quite an interest in this one-man band.. As far as I know there's just one album, 'Marked by the Baron', which I strongly recommened - particularly to people who appreciate the minimalistic, hypnotic style of Von, right down to the general approach and echoed growled vocals.

Another British BM band which hasn't been mentioned yet is Adorior. I only have their debut album 'Like Cutting The Sleeping', released back in 1997/1998 IIRC, but I think they're still going. The female vocalist (Melissa) has a harsh, impassioned scream which is a bit reminiscent of Varg's approach on the first few Burzum releases.

There's a few other bands I could mention - Immanis (never got beyond demo stage, incredibly primitive and not very good), and Old Forest played in a Darkthrone-ish style - dunno if they're still around.
----
21.07.2007 - 21:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 21.07.2007 at 20:47

I suppose this thread is more about the current 'scene' - but still, in a thread called 'UKBM' I think that Venom certainly deserves a mention, as Venom pretty much started the whole thing rolling by coining the phrase 'Black Metal' in the first place!

For more recent UKBM, I recommend Swine. I started a thread about Swine on the old version of MS, and I remember that a few other MS members took quite an interest in this one-man band.. As far as I know there's just one album, 'Marked by the Baron', which I strongly recommened - particularly to people who appreciate the minimalistic, hypnotic style of Von.

I agree about Venom, thay strat it and thay still play and somehow I dunno other band slike thay in UK and other countries are fiew too who play so good, and still has alive after 20 years of playing

I love UK black doom band Soildust who play lil like Forgoten Tomb realy good one IMO awsome and best band i genre from UK now tahy change name but dunno how thay calls now

Swine I dunno how thay sounds but if its like Von than thay are good

PS there was some melo bm band lil like Cof but something diferent I lsitened them while ago, but forgot name
----

apos;'
[image]
22.07.2007 - 02:15
Daru Jericho
Man, I really don't like Adorior. I find them generic with terrible vocals. I'd never compare Melissa's vocals to Varg but hey. Also, does Abgott really count, seeing as they were originally formed in Italy. Even though they're half Norwegian, nobody's mentioned <Code> either.

UK BM really isn't that good. And I have no idea why the scene is so small when most metallers I meet in this country are black metallers. I just think it's sad people outside think that the forefront of this country's black metal is Cradle Of Filth, even though they're a goth metal band now but still...
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

22.07.2007 - 02:25
Basso
Account deleted
The UK bm scene is really tragic, no offence but it blatantly put sucks. Atleast according to me
Cant think of a single band I care about..
22.07.2007 - 03:43
Puff
The Forlorn
I must agree... I dont listen to any Black Metal bands from the UK.

i did check out some but found none for my taste
----
22.07.2007 - 09:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daru Jericho on 22.07.2007 at 02:15

UK BM really isn't that good. And I have no idea why the scene is so small when most metallers I meet in this country are black metallers. I just think it's sad people outside think that the forefront of this country's black metal is Cradle Of Filth, even though they're a goth metal band now but still...

IMO UK scene are horible in nowdays too if there wsnt old good legends(Bs, IM, Saxon, Raven, WG...) and those who changed style(PL, Anathema,...) then UK scene was poor, dunno maybe blame is geography ort something have no idea but Spain, Portugal, there BM isn strong too
----

apos;'
[image]
22.07.2007 - 15:07
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
We have Axis of Perdition (Great band), Kult of Eihort (one great demo - impossible to find), Goat Molestor (pretty good stuff) and that's it. Everything else I'm aware of is either myspace projects, teenage joke bands (Necro Ritual lulz) or just plain mediocre.

Canada and France. That's where it's at.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
22.07.2007 - 18:28
Basso
Account deleted
Written by -tom- on 22.07.2007 at 15:07

We have Axis of Perdition (Great band

Forgot them... Definitly an awesome band.
22.07.2007 - 18:48
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
What about Caina? They (or he) are from UK, if my memory serves me. I have only heard their myspace songs but those were quite enjoyable, and what's more - interesting, because the music is a black metal/post-rock mix.
22.07.2007 - 19:30
Nocturnum Pestis
Account deleted
These are all very good points (except the NR comment, come on they do play good music ;]) I think that the scene is abit shite just due to lack on interest in the genre (I mean your lucky to find one other person in your village/town who is into it, and finding musicians to play it, is rarer than a dog who speaks Norwegian ) but yeah I don't find that we have any world beater bands at all but I still enjoy them nevertheless, as for Swine, I haven't heard that band but I think the guy in it is the same one from Salute and Tanhauser Gate.
@Damnated: Fair point mate I agree that not enough people are into underground BM enough to care about this thread which is sad in a way that bands with so much potential are being largely ignored but I guess thats the way of things.

@UKU: Yes Caina is from UK (apparently he came from Hampshire) The older material is BM but newer stuff is as you said more Rock these days, but nevertheless unique.
22.07.2007 - 19:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 22.07.2007 at 18:28

Written by -tom- on 22.07.2007 at 15:07

We have Axis of Perdition (Great band

Forgot them... Definitly an awesome band.

They are alright but for me Anaal Nathrakh just blows them clean out of the water as does Frost.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2007 - 19:57
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I don't really understand the Anaal Nathrakh/TAOP comparison anymore. It's like saying "Fuck toothpaste, I prefer pineapples".

Not a big fan of Caina. The demo material is OK.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
22.07.2007 - 20:09
Basso
Account deleted
Never got the fuzz about Anaal Nathrakh, I mean the vocalist is great, but the music just doesnt do it... A few songs from Total Fucking Necro are great, but rest is ... meeh.
22.07.2007 - 23:16
Daru Jericho
Written by Guest on 22.07.2007 at 19:30

I think that the scene is abit shite just due to lack on interest in the genre (I mean your lucky to find one other person in your village/town who is into it, and finding musicians to play it, is rarer than a dog who speaks Norwegian )

Really? I'd disagree. A lot of people down my side listen to black metal music. Gigs here have always been pretty crowded, and not just the Enslaved and Marduk styles ones; I'm including the Black Witchery and Archgoat level ones. There are a lot of black metal fans, especially a lot of younger kids. Whether or not it's a genuine interest is up for debate.

I also know at least 3 people who have/had a BM band, but as Tommy Tee said they're just teenagers trying to look evil and want an excuse for wearing corpsepaint. So I'd say black metal is a common interest among metallers here. Probably next to the death metallers, the black metallers are the most popular/largest group of metalheads here.
----

22.07.2007 - 23:19
Daru Jericho
Written by Bad English on 22.07.2007 at 09:28

IMO UK scene are horible in nowdays too if there wsnt old good legends(Bs, IM, Saxon, Raven, WG...) and those who changed style(PL, Anathema,...) then UK scene was poor, dunno maybe blame is geography ort something have no idea but Spain, Portugal, there BM isn strong too

Yup, it's terrible for everything metal related. Even the prog rock and the goth rock we created has been carried off to other countries who do it better (Sweden and Germany respectively). We may have created heavy metal but the modern heavy metal bands are terrible. Black metal, although many trace the roots back to Venom and even further back to Motorhead, is poor here compared to other countries.

As for this thread, even though they're not pure black metal, there's the 'well known' Akercocke.
----

22.07.2007 - 23:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daru Jericho on 22.07.2007 at 23:19

Written by Bad English on 22.07.2007 at 09:28

Yup, it's terrible for everything metal related. Even the prog rock and the goth rock we created has been carried off to other countries who do it better (Sweden and Germany respectively). We may have created heavy metal but the modern heavy metal bands are terrible. Black metal, although many trace the roots back to Venom and even further back to Motorhead, is poor here compared to other countries.

As for this thread, even though they're not pure black metal, there's the 'well known' Akercocke.

Its that band what I mean

Somehow I dont see UK metal glory days in future, its still stand of old legendary band sbut newcomers in scene wjont be sich like Venom was and are and will be ... sad but true
----

apos;'
[image]
23.07.2007 - 01:09
Nocturnum Pestis
Account deleted
Written by Daru Jericho on 22.07.2007 at 23:16

Written by Guest on 22.07.2007 at 19:30

I think that the scene is abit shite just due to lack on interest in the genre (I mean your lucky to find one other person in your village/town who is into it, and finding musicians to play it, is rarer than a dog who speaks Norwegian )

Really? I'd disagree. A lot of people down my side listen to black metal music. Gigs here have always been pretty crowded, and not just the Enslaved and Marduk styles ones; I'm including the Black Witchery and Archgoat level ones. There are a lot of black metal fans, especially a lot of younger kids. Whether or not it's a genuine interest is up for debate.

I also know at least 3 people who have/had a BM band, but as Tommy Tee said they're just teenagers trying to look evil and want an excuse for wearing corpsepaint. So I'd say black metal is a common interest among metallers here. Probably next to the death metallers, the black metallers are the most popular/largest group of metalheads here.

I guess it's different, in different parts of the UK, here in Cheltenham it's only me and my friend Berg who are into it (that I know of) and only his project Ohvrikivi is the only BM round here, a lot of the bands around here either play "metal" , "punk" or indie.
It was the same when I lived in Southampton, the only BM band round there was Crimson Darkness, but say in places like London and Farnborough the BM fans and bands are closer together.
23.07.2007 - 01:25
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
@Nocturnum Pestis: This is quite off-topic but is your friend an Estonian? The reason why I am asking is that "ohvrikivi" is an Estonian word, meaning "the stone of sacrifice".
23.07.2007 - 01:34
Nocturnum Pestis
Account deleted
Written by John Barleycorn on 23.07.2007 at 01:25

@Nocturnum Pestis: This is quite off-topic but is your friend an Estonian? The reason why I am asking is that "ohvrikivi" is an Estonian word, meaning "the stone of sacrifice".

Naw it's alright, it technically is on topic, but yes he is, and I asked him about the name the other day and he said it meant that.
23.07.2007 - 14:55
APOHAKC
The Bard

Maybe it is sad, but Cradle Of Filth were black metal, and they are probably best thing from this genre ever came from UK. And Venom of cause. Other bands I like are also not 'old school' Black Metal, like Forefather and Meads Of Asphodel. Don't want to offend anyone but UKBM scene is horrible, I heard dozens of bands and they all have horrible sound, and music is pure shit. UKBM scene is really weak, no wonder that COF are first thing that fall on my mind when someone mention UKBM. Ireland have some nice bands though
----
23.07.2007 - 23:58
Daru Jericho
Written by APOHAKC on 23.07.2007 at 14:55

Maybe it is sad, but Cradle Of Filth were black metal, and they are probably best thing from this genre ever came from UK. And Venom of cause. Other bands I like are also not 'old school' Black Metal, like Forefather and Meads Of Asphodel. Don't want to offend anyone but UKBM scene is horrible, I heard dozens of bands and they all have horrible sound, and music is pure shit. UKBM scene is really weak, no wonder that COF are first thing that fall on my mind when someone mention UKBM. Ireland have some nice bands though

Well, it's all relative. Most BM'ers here would probably disagree with COF being the best black metal band here. The reason they're so popular here is because they're on Roadrunner now and get a lot of mainstream exposure. I can't stand them personally and my favourite UKBM band is....Akercocke maybe? Meads of Asphodel? I've never really thought about it. But I don't disagree. The UKBM scene as a whole is weak as fuck.

Ireland have some good folk metal bands too but that's off topic.
----

24.07.2007 - 00:02
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Daru Jericho on 23.07.2007 at 23:58

Ireland have some good folk metal bands too but that's off topic.

Not sure, United Kingdom Black Metal is topic, not English Black Metal
----