5 users:
Band: Kivimetsän Druidi
Album: The New Chapter
Style: Symphonic folk metal
Release date: 2007

01. The Tyrant
02. Burden
03. Kristallivuoren Maa [Re-Recorded]

Kivimetsän Druidi, the Finnish combo of Symphonic Folk Metal is back this year with a new Demo called "The New Chapter". The name was probably chosen in reason of the new departure of the band after that they have changed some of their members especially the female singer which is now replaced by Jenni Onishko. This is a new beginning, that's right and even if the music of the band has changed a bit I'm sure that you'll still like it.

In fact, the three songs of the Demo are really different, the first one "The Tyrant" sounds a bit like Finntroll with some symphonic female (and of course grunts too) vocals when the second song "Burden" is more in the vein of a Folky Nigthwish. It's not bad at all and we can see that the band still plays the same kind of Metal but obviously the new members came with their own influences too (especially Jenni Onishko who really sings like Tarja of Nightwish).

On the other hand, even if the production of the demo is really nice, I have to say that the voice of Jenni is not really convincing. It's not really easy to sing with a "symphonic" voice and sometime she is even a bit out of tune? It's not horrible but she will have to work a bit on her voice if she really want to become convincing.

"The New Chapter" gives some information about the future of Kivimetsän Druidi and it could be a great future if they find the way to find some little mistakes like the voice or like the lack of personality in the compositions sometime. But it's promising however and I believe that the band will be able to continue its career without a lot of problem and why not to release a first album soon. That's your next goal dudes!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 30.07.2007

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 35 users
30.07.2007 - 22:01
Carrion
Account deleted
I know the band through my ex-girlfriend. Her friend's brother plays in the band or something like that.. Anyways, they're not bad. Good enough to get a record deal IMO, though folkmetal has quite alot bands in Finland right now.
31.07.2007 - 18:38
Damg
Account deleted
this band has potential
06.08.2007 - 12:45
Rating: 7
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I really like this band, pick of the folk crop. I especially love those growls in the first track, he sounds like the guy in a death group from my city. The songs here though have slightly too much pointless meandering so they don't seem as strong as Pedon Loitsu...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
09.08.2007 - 23:56
Obscure
Heh, their line-up has really changed since the times I've known the band.
Their drummer and the other keyboard player have also left.

I got known to KmD by one free-mp3-site where the most of Finnish demobands put their mp3's. Then I met their keyboard player, the one who left..
I look forward to see what they'll bring later on!
11.08.2007 - 07:17
Judas
The Amputator
I first heard these guys through the MS compilation, ages and ages ago. Good to know they're still around and releasing quality material.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."

Hits total: 3953 | This month: 8