10. Down In The Dumps
11. Orbit
12. Skyfall

Disc II
01. Golden Times [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
02. Save My Hide [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
03. Pumpkins United [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
04. We Are Real [limited Japanese edition bonus]

The Best Power Metal Album, The Best Album Artwork & The Biggest Surprise Of 2021

Additional info
Produced by Charlie Bauerfeind and co-produced by Dennis Ward.
Mixed by Ronald Prent at Valhalla Studios in New York.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
No pressure Helloween, it's not like this will be the most anticipated power metal album released this decade or anything.

Read more ››
published 16.06.2021 | Comments (43)

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 6

Comments: 169   Visited by: 1311 users
25.06.2021 - 00:47
Rating: 6
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Their performance here is right up there with Walls Of Jericho and The Keeper albums, even after all these years, as usual there is some fine guitar work, with quality speedy riffs and great solo's, the drumming is solid and the vocals are as good as the old days.

I don't think much to the lyrics tho, they were cheesy, even by Helloween standards, although the album is not at all that bad, there simply isn't enough memorable songs here for me, considering the album's length, Skyfall certainly the highlight for me, although I have heard much better from them.

overall it's a quality performance, but the songwriting is slightly lacking somthing. I will carry on giving this several spins, because like othwr Halloween albums it could still warm to me more.
25.06.2021 - 20:05
Rating: 10
Júlio
Helloween (Helloween) 1# in German Charts ...
27.06.2021 - 17:40
Rating: 5
Mehrad
Ummm ... so ?
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
27.06.2021 - 20:00
Rating: 10
Júlio
Written by Mehrad on 27.06.2021 at 17:40

Ummm ... so ?

I am just pointing that the album is doing very well. By the way-- what an instant classic is the song Rise Without Chains. The voices of Kiske and Deris blend in a perfect way ...
27.06.2021 - 23:58
Rating: 8
JavierPaper
Very good album, the truth is that it surprised me a lot
28.06.2021 - 01:24
JavierPaper
Written by Júlio on 24.06.2021 at 18:24

So happy when the album rating goes green (8.5 +) ...

The satisfaction of voting for an album with an 8.5 rating and having it change from yellow to green...
29.06.2021 - 17:44
Hrodebert
I did not like this album as much as most of you did, I don't know maybe I just have grown tired of power metal, but that is a me problem
29.06.2021 - 23:11
Written by nikarg on 24.06.2021 at 10:21

Troy already said it once so this is the final warning

can you tell me what happens after the warning? will help me decide if i can have another go or not

as for the album, na, nothing much to like. vocals are annoying as hell. lyrics are probably written by one of the bandmates kids. about guitars, i am learning to play too and i often feel like writing a slow melody is way tougher then writing fast, soulless riffs... that's why i'll never really like this playing style.
02.07.2021 - 01:58
slaytan
Fantactic !!!!!
03.07.2021 - 19:09
JavierPaper
Written by mikeprado30 on 24.06.2021 at 03:29

Written by The Melting Snow on 22.06.2021 at 08:49

Tried 40-50 seconds of a couple of songs randomly. na. nothing to like there.

cringe vocals. predictable riffs. boring song structures.

Power Metal 101: Go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa aaaaaaaaaaaa weeeeeeeee" with the vocals. move your fingers on the fretboard at random with focus on speed even if there is no melody at all. make sure your lyrics say "glory, hell, heaven, eternity, star, skies and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Power Metal is for those of low IQ.

Well, let's see

Black Metal 101: Go "GRROOAAAAAAAAR" with the dark vocals, destroy the drums and riff as heck, and make sure your lyrics say "hell, satan, death, murder, etc. RAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!"

Death Metal 101: Go "RAAAAAAAAAWWWWWR" with the Cookie Monster growls, reduce to dust the drums and make an uncomprehensible sounding mess

And please forgive us you "Einstein fused with Newton"!

God, how TOXIC could be some people...: nono:

WHY THE HELL WE COULDN'T JUST RESPECT OTHER ONES' TASTES?

Such masochistic people listening something from a genre they dislike just FOR THE GODDAMN SAKE OF THROWING SHIT AS IF THERE WOULDN'T BE A TOMORROW!!!!

I agree with most of the comment, I've never understood why people hate power metal so much.
03.07.2021 - 19:18
JavierPaper
Written by Mehrad on 24.06.2021 at 08:52

Written by mikeprado30 on 24.06.2021 at 03:29

Well, let's see

Black Metal 101: Go "GRROOAAAAAAAAR" with the dark vocals, destroy the drums and riff as heck, and make sure your lyrics say "hell, satan, death, murder, etc. RAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!"

Death Metal 101: Go "RAAAAAAAAAWWWWWR" with the Cookie Monster growls, reduce to dust the drums and make an uncomprehensible sounding mess

And please forgive us you "Einstein fused with Newton"!

God, how TOXIC could be some people...

WHY THE HELL WE COULDN'T JUST RESPECT OTHER ONES' TASTES?

Such masochistic people listening something from a genre they dislike just FOR THE GODDAMN SAKE OF THROWING SHIT AS IF THERE WOULDN'T BE A TOMORROW!!!!

so sludge metal is the best genre because you can't ridicule it !!!
get on with your life. you like power metal, I don't, he doesn't. you don't like black metal (I don't either) it's alright.
you don't have to make other people like the stuff that you like. it shouldn't take away your enjoyment of the genre if someone else hates it, otherwise you aren't that confident in your taste. I like some Persian traditional classic music, I'm sure you don't even know what that is and probably won't like it when you hear it, I don't care.
and I'm not a masochist, I just saw it had a 8.8/10 rating so it must be good riiiiiiiight ?? and as I said I don't care about power metal so I gave it a chance with this and didn't like it. maybe some other power metal album in the future would bring joy to my ears.
and please no more genre comparisons and name callings

Yes, it's true that you can't change a person's opinion, but I don't think you have to send a comment insulting the whole album, I would say, for example, "It's not my sound" or "I'm very disappointed with this band".

But not insulting because it's obvious that the person who likes the album is going to respond to the comment by insulting the person.
03.07.2021 - 19:20
JavierPaper
I still found the response to the comment somewhat aggressive towards the person.
04.07.2021 - 01:28
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I gave this album another listen, and I am even more unimpressed as I was first time around, weirdly I found the vocals slightly more annoying this time, which is a shame because Kiske is one of my all time favourite vocalists, and I really can't get into the lyrics on certain songs, I found them a bit too cheesy at times, even by Helloween's cheesyness.

The riffs never grabbed me either, which I find annoying, because that's what I expect most from this band, despite all this, I can't say that the album is all that bad either, it's still enjoyable at times, specifically the song Skyfall.
04.07.2021 - 09:46
Mehrad
Written by JavierPaper on 03.07.2021 at 19:18

Yes, it's true that you can't change a person's opinion, but I don't think you have to send a comment insulting the whole album, I would say, for example, "It's not my sound" or "I'm very disappointed with this band".

But not insulting because it's obvious that the person who likes the album is going to respond to the comment by insulting the person.

"I'm not a masochist, I just saw it had a 8.8/10 rating so it must be good riiiiiiiight ?? and as I said I don't care about power metal so I gave it a chance with this and didn't like it. maybe some other power metal album in the future would bring joy to my ears."
Is this considered insulting to the album ? By this logic the person I quoted was being way more insulting to two whole genres
----
04.07.2021 - 16:14
JavierPaper
Written by Mehrad on 04.07.2021 at 09:46

"I'm not a masochist, I just saw it had a 8.8/10 rating so it must be good riiiiiiiight ?? and as I said I don't care about power metal so I gave it a chance with this and didn't like it. maybe some other power metal album in the future would bring joy to my ears."
Is this considered insulting to the album ? By this logic the person I quoted was being way more insulting to two whole genres

I think you misunderstood me, when I said not to respond aggressively I was not addressing you.
06.07.2021 - 11:30
Rating: 9
GrimReaper85
I can't remember a post 2010 album I listened as much as this one.
08.07.2021 - 05:20
mikeprado30
Written by The Melting Snow on 29.06.2021 at 23:11

Written by nikarg on 24.06.2021 at 10:21

Troy already said it once so this is the final warning

can you tell me what happens after the warning? will help me decide if i can have another go or not

as for the album, na, nothing much to like. vocals are annoying as hell. lyrics are probably written by one of the bandmates kids. about guitars, i am learning to play too and i often feel like writing a slow melody is way tougher then writing fast, soulless riffs... that's why i'll never really like this playing style.

And now, from the creators of "whiney vocals, and other bullshit hater tropes", we got:

"LYRICS MADE BY THE CHILDREN OF THE BAND MEMBERS"

Hope you won't ever listen some Classic Rock or especially Freedom Call albums
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
08.07.2021 - 05:22
mikeprado30

As Diego Maradona said when he was alive, and I say this for the edgy haters that if an album doesn't "talk about death, depression, satan and other bullshit" is crap...

"¡QUE LA CHUPEN!"
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
08.07.2021 - 10:37
JoHn Doe
Written by mikeprado30 on 08.07.2021 at 05:22

As Diego Maradona said when he was alive, and I say this for the edgy haters that if an album doesn't "talk about death, depression, satan and other bullshit" is crap...

"¡QUE LA CHUPEN!"

oh, thank you for your insults, you're so kind it's overwhelming.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
08.07.2021 - 16:17
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 04.07.2021 at 01:28

I found the vocals slightly more annoying this time

the first time was annoying enough for me :p

Such a shame, last year there were hardly one or two albums near 8.5... this year there's just 1, and it's probably the worst out of the top 20 list for the year.
08.07.2021 - 16:46
Ball Fondlers
Written by Mehrad on 04.07.2021 at 09:46

I assume you keep listening to this album, as your rating goes down by 1 every week... yes, I've noticed. 3 next week?
08.07.2021 - 16:51
Mehrad
Written by Ball Fondlers on 08.07.2021 at 16:46

I assume you keep listening to this album, as your rating goes down by 1 every week... yes, I've noticed. 3 next week?

The more I think about it the more I dislike it lol
It was a 6 at first, now that I think about it a 5 is more fitting (IMO of course)
I've listened to it two or three times already
----
08.07.2021 - 18:44
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by The Melting Snow on 08.07.2021 at 16:17

Such a shame, last year there were hardly one or two albums near 8.5... this year there's just 1, and it's probably the worst out of the top 20 list for the year.

It's not been a great year so far for metal, there's been one or two good albums but nothing that memorable, although some of the album ratings have recently been going down rapidly, unfortunately the ratings are showing that the standards have been slipping in recent years, and so far this album has been my biggest dissapointment. 😔
09.07.2021 - 00:19
nikarg
Staff
Written by mikeprado30 on 08.07.2021 at 05:22

"¡QUE LA CHUPEN!"

The album is #1 in MS since it came out and the vast majority of comments are very positive. Yes, some people still don't like it, but they don't insult you personally, they just talk about the album. If you don't want a timeout, you need to relax and stop whining about something that isn't even accurate (that MSers prefer all the death, black, doom, and hate any melodic stuff).

Written by The Melting Snow on 29.06.2021 at 23:11

can you tell me what happens after the warning?

Normally banhammer.
14.07.2021 - 21:02
IronAngel
It is what it is, but I did almost shed a tear for my lost childhood. I couldn't really hope for more from a shameless Helloween reunion album: it sounds like a Helloween reunion. It's fantastic to hear all three singers together, the production is top notch, although the riffs aren't so memorable.

For me, the problem with power metal is that it's almost purely a sentimental, feel-good thing every once in a while when the mood hits. And for that itch, I obviously tend to go for the oldies. Can't remember when I last found a new power metal album I would actually go back to.

It says something about the state of (big, popular) metal, I guess, that half the year's top albums could have topped these charts when I joined MS 18 years ago. (Or when I was born, for that matter.) I also noticed it's also the same mainstream rock bands touring festivals this summer that were doing it 15 years ago.
14.07.2021 - 22:03
Redel
Written by IronAngel on 14.07.2021 at 21:02

For me, the problem with power metal is that it's almost purely a sentimental, feel-good thing every once in a while when the mood hits. And for that itch, I obviously tend to go for the oldies. Can't remember when I last found a new power metal album I would actually go back to.

This man, so much this!
16.07.2021 - 04:46
sgtrobo
Written by The Melting Snow on 08.07.2021 at 16:17

Such a shame, last year there were hardly one or two albums near 8.5...

several were very well deserving of 8.5+ though
17.07.2021 - 17:47
AndreMarcos
Has some filler at the end, but i guess that is to be expected in the age of music streaming.

Nevertheless the first half of the album is incredible. It would have been an 9 for me if it wasn't for the less inspired second half.
19.07.2021 - 18:48
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Finally been able to give this one a listen. Liked it more than I expected (because normally I'm not that into Helloween), enjoyed it pretty much from start to finish. Excellent power metal.
25.07.2021 - 18:14
kevindebrajne
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 09.07.2021 at 00:19

you need to relax and stop whining about something that isn't even accurate (that MSers prefer all the death, black, doom, and hate any melodic stuff).

To be honest just smoothly peeking at this site's top 100 albums for each genre you can tell that in fact people here prefer melody in their death/black/doom. Of course assuming that someone took their time to listen to these bands, and not just assume that every death/black album must be brvtal as heck, and the lyrics must be about ra*ing corpses or something. Even most of the current top albums of the year are very melodic.

Hits total: 23607 | This month: 131