Metal Storm logo
Judas Priest - Update On Richie Faulkner's Health Status

Following his recent serious health issues (an aortic aneurysm and complete aortic dissection) during a live performance, Judas Priest guitarist Richie Faulkner has now checked in with an update. His full statement can be read below.

Statement from Richie as follows: "Maniacs… I've always been grateful for the opportunities I’ve been presented with. I’ve always considered myself THE most fortunate man ever - to be able to play my favourite music - with my favourite band - to my favourite people around the world.

"Today just being able to type this to you all is the biggest gift of all… As I watch footage from the 'Louder Than Life Festival' in Kentucky, I can see in my face the confusion and anguish I was feeling whilst playing "Painkiller" as my aorta ruptured and started to spill blood into my chest cavity. I was having what my doctor called an aortic aneurysm and complete aortic dissection. From what I’ve been told by my surgeon, people with this don’t usually make it to the hospital alive. I was taken to nearby Rudd Heart & Lung Center and quickly went into what turned out to be a 10 ½ hour emergency open heart surgery.

"Five parts of my chest were replaced with mechanical components… I'm literally made of metal now. It could have all ended so differently - we only had an hours set that night due to Metallica’s performance after us - and it does cross my mind if it was a full set, would I have played until total collapse? If it hadn’t happened in such a high adrenaline situation would my body have been able to keep going long enough to reach the hospital?

"The amazing Heart & Lung Center was 4 miles away from the gig site - if it had been further away. We can always drive ourselves crazy with these things but I’m still alive thankfully. Whatever the circumstances, when watching that footage, the truth is, knowing what I know now, I see a dying man.

"I’ve been moved to tears and humbled by friends, family, my fantastic band, crew and management and also you guys sending me videos and messages of love and support during the last week - I thank you all so much and although I have a recovery road ahead of me, as soon as I’m able to get up and running again, you’ll be the first to know and we’ll get back out there delivering the goods for you all!

"One last thing maniacs, this came totally out of the blue for me - no history of a bad heart, no clogged arteries etc…my point is I don’t even have high cholesterol and this could’ve been the end for me. If you can get yourselves checked - do it for me please. Lots of love and see you down the front again soon."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Judas Priest
Posted: 06.10.2021 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 11   Visited by: 129 users
06.10.2021 - 18:40
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Wow! What an absolute shock! I'm glad it all worked out in the end - and that he still has a sense of humor: "I'm made of metal"... my circuits gleam
Lots of love and praying for a full recovery!
06.10.2021 - 19:03
nikarg
Staff
Damn Richie... I hope you're up on your feet again soon with the same quality of life as before.
06.10.2021 - 19:05
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Wow! I didn't know it was that serious, he sounds lucky to be alive, I hope he fully recovers, and will be able to continue performing in the future.
06.10.2021 - 19:20
DeathMetal
Damn, that is some scary shit. I'm glad he's alive!
06.10.2021 - 19:28
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Holy crap, that was crazy. I'm glad too that he made it through. Hopefully he'll be in full recovery soon.
----
06.10.2021 - 21:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good to be alive, get well rock a roller, Valhalla can wait
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.10.2021 - 02:32
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I didn't realize he was dealing with something that serious but I'm glad he's okay!! Get better soon Richie!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.10.2021 - 09:07
s(AINT)
Talons up for the Falcon! What a shocking experience to go through for anyone and it touches you more when it's a musician that you love. Wishing Richie the speediest of recoveries and hopefully I'll see him on the road in the near future \m/
07.10.2021 - 11:38
Mountain King
K i K o
Glad he's alive and well and we'll get more priest probably. Seems like a really nice guy from the videos I've seen and great guitarist.
24.10.2021 - 12:26
Rot Teufel
Holy shit... that's pretty unexpected from the youngest... glad he survived, mostly a complete aortic dissection mean death...
----
Destroy all dreams, illusion damned in fire... A hellish need for power, it's my dark desire...
20.11.2021 - 13:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Latest update from JP facebook

I just wanted to post, and I’ve had many of you asking for an update on how my recovery is going.
I was able to return home from hospital 10 days after my surgery to continue recovery at home.
It has now been 7 weeks since the night it all happened and I’m feeling very strong and positive. My incisions have healed very well and I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. I’m walking well and moving freely, I’m pretty active and I’m starting cardiac therapy very soon. I’m playing guitar everyday and with the love and support of my family, the continued support from you guys and the inspiration that i get from the guitar, I’ll be back on stage in no time! My surgeons are very pleased with my progress and have all reserved front row tickets for the next Priest show haha
It’s Thanksgiving this month, and whether you celebrate it or not, I have a lot to give thanks for this year; Including all of you for your patience, your love and your support. Lots of love and I’ll see you down the front soon, horns held high.
-Richie
Original artwork by Claudio
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 1680 | This month: 7