Metal Storm logo
Celtic Frost

Original post

Posted by Judas, 31.05.2006 - 17:55
I'm honoured to open up the official thread for the Swiss Metal Gods, Celtic Frost. This band is arguably one of the most influential in the development of modern forms of Extreme Metal. They never stagnated, weren't afraid to experiment, and to this day remain committed to pioneering new ground. This is evident in their newest release, 'Monotheist', their first after a 14-year hiatus.

Anything that relates to this great band, its members and their releases, can be said in this thread.

To get started, I'm going to post my thoughts on 'Monotheist'. I got it yesterday, and after a few listens (it takes more than 1 to digest it fully) the musical scope has really hit me in the face. It might not be as revolutionary as their 80s masterpieces ('Morbid Tales', 'To Mega Therion', 'Into the Pandemonium') but it is much more focused in it's direction. 'Morbid Tales' and 'To Mega Therion' were full of a raw, primal rage, while 'Into the Pandemonium' sprawled into multiple genres, with each song having a unique take on things, but 'Monotheist', while a weighty 73 mins, is much slower, darker and dirge-like. The sound can IMO be described as a Doom-filled Death Metal, with Ambient and Industrial touches here and there. It's very hard to explain, you must hear it for yourself.

Comments anyone?
03.01.2007 - 17:05
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.01.2007 at 09:52

Written by Guest on 30.12.2006 at 05:39

I wouldn't call "Cold Lake" commercial, as it was not pretended to sell, but just represented the new musical paths adopted by Celtic Frost... we can't expect them to keep loyalty to black/thrash for life... their new album "Monotheist", being great, is actually much more a commercial movement than "Cold Lake", like most back-to-the-roots actually are...

I don't why you think Cold Lake wasn't meant to sell. But I clearly remember that back in the day when it was released that Tom said he was frustrated by the fact that their albums didn't sell too well and that with Cold Lake he was hoping to break into the American market. And what better way to try and do that than with a glam metal album.
So... it WAS INTENDED to sell, but backfired fired horribly since it didn't sell AT ALL.

Well, what can I say??? it's always good to have the wise old man in the forum that had personally witnessed all what came before us in metal
03.01.2007 - 19:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Yes, respect your metal elders, you whippersnapper!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.01.2007 - 04:17
Etn_KlrJ
Account deleted
Well, Celtic Frost is nowadays my fav' band ! Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion and Into The Pandemonium are masterpieces.
I'm so sad about "Cold Lake", because Tom didn't want to sell it with the name "celtic frost".
Vanity/Nemesis is very good, you should try to listen it again!
:p

So, i've just seen that the metalstorm's page about celtic frost is incomplete...

1)Have you ever tried to listen the compilation "parched with thirst and i'm dying"? This is a very big work with a lot of rare-track:

1. Idols Of Chagrin
2. A Descent To Babylon (Babylon Asleep)
3. Return To The Eve
4. Juices Like Wine
5. The Inevitable Factor
6. The Hearth Beneath
7. Cherry Orchards
8. Tristesses De La Lune
9. Wings Of Solitude
10. The Usurper
11. Journey Into Fear
12. Downtown Hanoi
13. Circle Of The Tyrants
14. In The Chapel In The Moonlight
15. I Won't Dance
16. The Name Of My Bride
17. Mexican Radio
18. Under Apollyon's Sun

A lot of tracks already known are in fact rearrenged track.
Actually, it's like "change in your mp3 old tracks by the new tracks and enjoy it"
And we discover that Cold Lake could become a good album :x
(But you know... the producer wanted Tom to be fast, holy shit it's a spoil...)

There are new tracks like Idols of Chagrin or Under Apollyon's sun...

I put a 10 to this album, it's fucking good...

2) the Demo of "Nemesis Of Power" from 1993 and in store only since 2006...

If you like Celtic Frost: You must put an ear to these albums!!
We can imagine a different past with a good Cold Lake (the project "Necronomicon")
And after Vanity/Nemesis the great double album "Nemesis Of Power / Under Apollyon's Sun" (yeah, that was their project)

: / But at last, Monotheist is a great new album...

And Monotheist is just in the way of Nemesis of Power, Tom used in Monotheist some riffs of the nemesis' demo... But the musical style is very different, less Thrash and more Doom...

So, I'm waiting for the second part of the Requiem !
11.01.2007 - 13:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
Just me who think that this band is underestimated here at MetalStorm? They are not that well known these days, and more users here should really listen to one of their albums. Especially since there are a lot of Extreme metal fans here.
----
11.01.2007 - 16:45
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Warman on 11.01.2007 at 13:42

Just me who think that this band is underestimated here at MetalStorm? They are not that well known these days, and more users here should really listen to one of their albums. Especially since there are a lot of Extreme metal fans here.

Yeah agreed Celtic Frost are kinda underrated at Metalstorm....but then thats ok...i like some bands remaning unpopular among masses specially the bands i am fond of .. Dont know why
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
11.01.2007 - 17:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 04.01.2007 at 04:17

Have you ever tried to listen the compilation "parched with thirst and i'm dying"? This is a very big work with a lot of rare-track:

1. Idols Of Chagrin
2. A Descent To Babylon (Babylon Asleep)
3. Return To The Eve
4. Juices Like Wine
5. The Inevitable Factor
6. The Hearth Beneath
7. Cherry Orchards
8. Tristesses De La Lune
9. Wings Of Solitude
10. The Usurper
11. Journey Into Fear
12. Downtown Hanoi
13. Circle Of The Tyrants
14. In The Chapel In The Moonlight
15. I Won't Dance
16. The Name Of My Bride
17. Mexican Radio
18. Under Apollyon's Sun

I don't like that compilation! Is that really the 18 best songs they could choose from their amazing catalogue? Mexican Radio? In the Chapel in the Moonlight? Cold Lake songs? I admit that the two covers are very good, but why put covers (two covers!) on a compilation. And I don't care if the Cold Lake songs remastered or not, Celtic Frost has made so many masterpieces, amazing and epic songs that fit on that compilation. Circle of the Tyrants, The Usurper and Return to the Eve are the only songs from that compialtion that are truly worthy to be there!
----
11.01.2007 - 17:11
Basso
Account deleted
Underestimated? You have to be kiding, :O Celtic Frost is like the frickin gurus of extreme metal. You should reconsider your statement.

I think that many on this forum enjoys them (especially first 3 albums or so), but just dont say anything because this bands history just speaks for itself
11.01.2007 - 17:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 11.01.2007 at 17:11

Underestimated? You have to be kiding, :O Celtic Frost is like the frickin gurus of extreme metal. You should reconsider your statement.

I think that many on this forum enjoys them (especially first 3 albums or so), but just dont say anything because this bands history just speaks for itself

Could be, and I meant underestimated here on MetalStorm ... outside of this internet realm, Celtic Frost are of course popular and get the needed attention! But I guess I am just upset over that few have the band in their favourite bands section. Guess I am shallow, I just love this band so much
----
11.01.2007 - 20:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I love the Wall of Voodoo cover... the original was one of my favorite songs growing up. Why not pop it on the tail end of a compilation?
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.01.2007 - 02:36
Etn_KlrJ
Account deleted
Warman --> these are rare-tracks, never original versions... (or those in EP)
13.01.2007 - 17:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
That I should've understood!
Now that I look closely at the compilation I see that most songs are bonus tracks and rare songs.
----
28.01.2007 - 01:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
What makes me a little upset is that they seem to be afraid of playing Monotheist songs live. It's such an amazing album and I really hope they'll have some guts to play songs like A Dying God Coming into Human Flesh when I see them in April.
----
28.01.2007 - 01:59
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Valar on 22.08.2006 at 19:22

What do Celtic Frost fans think about Hellhammer?
Instead of opening a new thread i decided to ask CF fans about there views on Hellhammer on the Celtic Frost thread itself

Haha, no one really answered your question, huh?
I love Hellhammer, actually listened to them before CF! Their best song is without doubt Triumph of Death, pure art really! Would be very fun if they actually performed some Hellhammer songs live!
Very sad that Fischer actually burned everything he owned that was related to Hellhammer, hated it so much!!!

I am so sorry for my 3 posts in a row! But hey, no one writes here!
----
05.04.2007 - 16:27
Warman
Erotic Stains
Damn, this is weird... after this post there'll be 4 posts by me in a row in this topic. But what can I do? Few users writes in this topic!

Well, I saw the mighty Celtic Frost last night. Either they played their songs a loooot slower (Procreation (of the Wicked), Synagoga Satanae, Dawn of Meggido) or a loooot faster (Morbid Tales, Dethroned Emperor, Into the Crypts of Rays) and it was amazing!!! By far one of the best live bands I've ever seen, great doomy speeches by Martin Eric Ain as an intro to some songs, heavy bass and fast drums! Tom Gabriel Fischer's vocals was also probably better than ever. Damn, what a great night it was! Hope I'll see them live again.
----
05.04.2007 - 19:07
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Warman on 05.04.2007 at 16:27

Damn, this is weird... after this post there'll be 4 posts by me in a row in this topic. But what can I do? Few users writes in this topic!

Well, I saw the mighty Celtic Frost last night. Either they played their songs a loooot slower (Procreation (of the Wicked), Synagoga Satanae, Dawn of Meggido) or a loooot faster (Morbid Tales, Dethroned Emperor, Into the Crypts of Rays) and it was amazing!!! By far one of the best live bands I've ever seen, great doomy speeches by Martin Eric Ain as an intro to some songs, heavy bass and fast drums! Tom Gabriel Fischer's vocals was also probably better than ever. Damn, what a great night it was! Hope I'll see them live again.

I dont think I will ever get to see them.....
Why dont ya post a review
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
05.04.2007 - 19:15
Warman
Erotic Stains
Naah, no review from me. I'm usually pretty bad of writng (at least long ones) those. I keep using the same words over and over and then I don't really know what to write.
----
06.04.2007 - 08:43
Judas
The Amputator
Good you had an awesome time at their show. Actually, I remember their songs' strange paces at Wacken. 'Procreation (of the Wicked)' was unbelievably slow, almost at half-pace, and 'Into the Crypts of Rays' and 'The Usurper' were played really damn fast. Ahhhh, brings back good memories...

They are coming to Australia, but only to Sydney and Melbourne, and while I'd love to fly down to see them again, both shows are during my exams, so unfortunately there's no way I can make it.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
06.04.2007 - 14:29
baldur
Written by Judas on 06.04.2007 at 08:43

Good you had an awesome time at their show. Actually, I remember their songs' strange paces at Wacken. 'Procreation (of the Wicked)' was unbelievably slow, almost at half-pace, and 'Into the Crypts of Rays' and 'The Usurper' were played really damn fast. Ahhhh, brings back good memories...

They are coming to Australia, but only to Sydney and Melbourne, and while I'd love to fly down to see them again, both shows are during my exams, so unfortunately there's no way I can make it.

fuck the exams its celtic frost go and see them man!!!
07.04.2007 - 12:54
Frikazojd
Account deleted
i like celtic fros...

What ever happened with celtic frosted Flakes
09.04.2007 - 11:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
Oh right, can someone explain to me what Celtic Frosted Flakes is/are/where/was?
----
09.04.2007 - 14:46
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I've been listening to "monotheist" for several days now and each time i listen to it i like it more. It was the first cd i listened by celtic frost and i must respect them for this is a very refined release.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.04.2007 - 08:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Warman on 09.04.2007 at 11:50

Oh right, can someone explain to me what Celtic Frosted Flakes is/are/where/was?

It's the name of an S.O.D. song. That band rules...
15.04.2007 - 01:37
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
S.O.D. for the win! They are great.

To unspam this post. I never liked Celtic Frost too much.. at least not the music.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.04.2007 - 01:49
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 15.04.2007 at 01:37

I never liked Celtic Frost too much.. at least not the music.

the what could you like? how good they look?
15.04.2007 - 02:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 15.04.2007 at 01:49

Ah yeah, their MA picture for example is sooo yummie.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.04.2007 - 03:00
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 15.04.2007 at 02:13

Indeed... Tom Warrior looks like ready for a very doomed bondage session
15.04.2007 - 05:59
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Guest on 15.04.2007 at 03:00

Written by Lucas on 15.04.2007 at 02:13

Indeed... Tom Warrior looks like ready for a very doomed bondage session

I personally prefer his skinny arms wrapped in necroleatherbands in their 'Morbid Tales' booklet. Fucking hell, he looks like he's lived in some sub-Saharan African nation for a while and is suffering from malnutrition! Actually, Martin Eric Ain (in the old days, before he became a gorilla) looks a hell of a lot like one of my friends, he's got the same 'buff man' expression on his face all the time too.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
20.04.2007 - 21:17
Illusionist
Account deleted
I've just got into Celtic Frost as the result of a CD Metal Hammer were giving away, and I love them.

Celtic Frosties-They're GRRRRRRRRRRRRIM!
21.04.2007 - 01:45
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I consider myself a Celtic Frost fan, and think Into the Pandemonium is their best release (though I haven't heard To Mega Therion yet, also I haven't heard Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis but from what I've heard of them I doubt if I'll ever check them out) as its songs were very varied, especially liked the more beautiful songs like Mesmerized, also my favorite songs on Monotheist are the calmer and more beautiful A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh, Obscured and Drowned in Ashes. I got Monotheist only recently and have to say it's probably one of the most nihilistic records I've heard, you can just sense this nihilism and pain in the music, which is really beautiful in a way. Also I like the ugly guitar sound, and think that when it comes to sheer darkness, this band can top most black metal bands in their own game. Celtic Frost is one of those bands I enjoy listening the most when I'm feeling kind of sad, and because I'm a rather melancholic person I end up listening to Frost quite often
23.04.2007 - 20:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I just (finally) picked up "To Mega Therion" this weekend and of the three I have ("Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return" and "Monotheist"), it would be my favorite. At least based on the first 4-5 listens.
----