Metal Storm logo
Carcass - Will Reunite For A Tour

Former Carcass guitarist Mike Amott (currently in Arch Enemy) has revealed that the legendary U.K. death metal band might reunite for a tour.

In an exclusive interview with Sweden's Close-Up magazine, Amott said that he and guitarist/vocalist Bill Steer secretly met in Halmstad, Sweden last year to rehearse old Carcass material. A couple of months later, they were joined by vocalist/bassist Jeff Walker for another practice session. Arch Enemy's Daniel Erlandsson was handling the drum duties at these rehearsals.

"It sounded really good and it was a lot of fun," said Amott. "We rehearsed pretty much the entire 'Heartwork' album [1993]."

The original plan was for Carcass to play several festival shows this summer, but that fell through.

"I hope we can do some reunion shows at a later date," explained Amott. "It would be a lot of fun and I'd love to play the songs live again. Unfortunately, it can't happen until 18 months from now, at the earliest, because Arch Enemy has a totally full schedule. It's different for the other guys who don't work as actively on their music careers."

Have you discussed writing new songs?

"To write something new seems unnecessary. People still only want to hear the old stuff," said Amott.

After the "Heartwork" tour, Mike Amott left Carcass. The band then released the appropriately titled album "Swansong" (1996).

What did you think of "Swansong" when it came out?

"I wasn't a fan of it," Mike replied. "But we actually rehearsed a couple of songs from it last year and they sounded pretty good. I think the production partly ruined it. It sounded sparse and basically all the extreme stuff that characterized Carcass was gone. It felt boring."

Have the other members of Carcass heard Arch Enemy?

"Jeff has flat-out said that he thinks we suck," Amott stated. "Bill is not into that kind of music. I think the guys left the metal world as it was in the middle of the '90s and haven't thought about it since. It seems they think it's a little bizarre that I'm still doing the metal thing full-on."

Original Carcass drummer Ken Owen suffered a brain hemorrhage in 1999 and was hospitalized for ten months, slowly emerging from a coma.

"Ken is doing fine today, but he's not a metal drummer," Amott explained. "He's not capable of playing entire concerts with an extreme band like Carcass. I still hope that he, if we do a tour, will travel with us and play a couple of songs each night."

Earache Records will re-release the Carcass back catalogue with bonus material, including extra DVDs with brand new interviews and other footage.

"Jeff has negotiated with Earache and been able to make the label pay us a lot of old royalties," Amott revealed. "Of course money means something, but it would be great fun to go around and play songs that truly are classics in a genre. I've never played stuff like that to people before. I mean, songs that somehow have been soundtracks to people's lives. It would be fun to dig up the old corpse again."

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Carcass
Posted: 18.09.2007 by yosterdude

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 40   Visited by: 29 users
18.09.2007 - 20:16
Infurnace
Wow, this is really good news! A reunited Carcass. If it is true, than I must go to one of the reunion shows. Too bad they think it's unnecessary to write some new material.
18.09.2007 - 20:18
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
now that is a good news
18.09.2007 - 20:20
Baz Anderson
Staff
too bad it doesn't seem like they are ever going to make that Red Dwarf film - they could be in that as a band this time. haha
18.09.2007 - 20:56
ylside
Staff
Awesome. Although it seems that they'll only play Heartwork / Swansong.
18.09.2007 - 21:29
Arcaliz
Account deleted
Great News !!!!
18.09.2007 - 21:41
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
What a really great news !!! Carcass huhu I thought it wouldn't be possible to see them one day !! I hope the dream'll come true !!!
18.09.2007 - 21:42
Kaamos
Account deleted
We'll see, we'll see...
18.09.2007 - 21:53
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Great news, I really would like to see them live...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
18.09.2007 - 22:15
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
Nice, they have to play some of the older-older albums, or i won't go see them
18.09.2007 - 22:29
mankvill
Reunited Carcass? Today is a good day.
18.09.2007 - 23:10
Carrion
Account deleted
Would be cool to seem them if they're really going to tour some time later. Time will tell..
18.09.2007 - 23:15
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
This was unexpected!

That would be one tour not to miss,, I wounder when will they start touring and where
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
18.09.2007 - 23:58
schapboy
wow wow wow
that's so fucking great dudes
hope to be real
----
Don't Believe, Because They Lie
And Don't Love, Because Behind A Mask They Hide
19.09.2007 - 00:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
wow, if there is a tour i hope it stops by here. But Amott sounds almost sour towards the other members in a way...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.09.2007 - 00:59
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
It's always good to the ears to hear that a great band has reformed for one more performance.
19.09.2007 - 02:48
Opium
Account deleted
I couldn't believe what I read, this is insanely cool, now, to plan to see them if they visit Aus, even though it's unlikely
19.09.2007 - 04:12
graywolf87
Account deleted
holy shit!...unbelievable news
19.09.2007 - 04:35
selken
Irreligious
Damn, this is FUCKING AWESOME carcass, to reunite!!!
no way, BTW yes WE DO WANT TO LISTEN NEW STUFF!!!!!!
sadly that's not gonna happen :'-(
----
19.09.2007 - 05:06
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Hell yes, this is tremendous news if it isn't just speculation. Fantastic if they'll come to my country but I really doubt that will happen...

New material from them is almost as far-fetched, with the other guys being out of the extreme metal scene, and not extreme-metal Carcass wouldn't be very good. I don't mind... just hope they play some Necroticism stuff, which I think would be likely.

Rotfl @ "Jeff has flat-out said that he thinks we suck," go Jeff!
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
19.09.2007 - 06:50
April.Ethereal87
Account deleted
Great news to hear after a shitty day.
19.09.2007 - 11:05
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Syk on 19.09.2007 at 05:06

Hell yes, this is tremendous news if it isn't just speculation. Fantastic if they'll come to my country but I really doubt that will happen...

New material from them is almost as far-fetched, with the other guys being out of the extreme metal scene, and not extreme-metal Carcass wouldn't be very good. I don't mind... just hope they play some Necroticism stuff, which I think would be likely.

Hell yes, someone tell Carcass to come to nz.
Also, Arch Enemy pwn you Syk, you just cant handle their amazingness.
19.09.2007 - 16:53
drsmiley
Account deleted
FUCK YES!!!! I am going to go see them no matter how far I have to travel.
19.09.2007 - 17:29
Tod_Engel
Damn, I'd love to see them doing they're old stuff from Heartwork, because it's just brilliant.
I'm 99,9% sure that Carcass won't come to Estonia. But I still hope they visit neighbouring countries.
19.09.2007 - 18:08
Hell yeah!!! This day keeps getting better and better

I've never had the chance to see them live, since I discovered them long after they disbanded, so this is AWESOME news!!!
----
What drives us, is the smell of victory...

// www.descend.se
19.09.2007 - 19:22
acid_burn
Damn....that sure's great news, but they'll never come to Bulgaria ...:/
----
....I'm not in this to be a SLAVE!
20.09.2007 - 02:43
Ilham Cotterell
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.09.2007 at 02:48

I couldn't believe what I read, this is insanely cool, now, to plan to see them if they visit Aus, even though it's unlikely

*Points finger at him and laughs* Haha! And they might come to France. See.. That's the place you have to live in.. .
20.09.2007 - 03:13
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Savage Messiah on 19.09.2007 at 11:05

Written by Syk on 19.09.2007 at 05:06

Hell yes, someone tell Carcass to come to nz.
Also, Arch Enemy pwn you Syk, you just cant handle their amazingness.

Haha, I doubt they'll come to Australia, let alone New Zealand
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
20.09.2007 - 03:25
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Hmm, interesting news. We'll have to wait and see though. If they do come to the U.S. and play some shows, I will fly across country to see em if they aren't playing in my area.
20.09.2007 - 08:40
Eternal Flames
Pretty good news. Would be good if they went through with it. Can't see them coming to Australia though, but it would be nice.
20.09.2007 - 17:06
Warman
Erotic Stains
Close-Up Magazine rules!
----

Hits total: 3942 | This month: 13