Metal Storm logo
Your average Metalhead

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 20.09.2007 - 20:35
In this world, you have two types of metalheads. Your druggies that dont care about anything, and the metalheads that have their shit together.

It makes me mad seeing non-metal people look at us as the fucked up evil spirited no good freaks. I honestly see more metalheads that are smarter, more productive, and have more planned out than the average person.

How do you guys view all this stuff? Feel free to add to discussion!
10.10.2007 - 23:06
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.10.2007 at 12:15

Written by Guest on 10.10.2007 at 00:13

Written by Guest on 08.10.2007 at 21:48

thats just another taste in music. some people only like it heavy and fast. and not the funky stuff or anything else combined with it.
please dont call it narrowminded because the bands dont have 20 styles combined in one song

If the bands do not have 20 styles combined in one song they are not narrowminded and neither I nor Tod_Engel said they are, however, people who say that bands suck because of mixing different styles, or for disregard for conventional song structure etc. are narrowminded. People who don't like bands who break the rules are also not narrow minded when they dislike the music of the bands who break the rules, they are narrowminded, however, when they dislike the fact that bands are breaking the rules, as narrowmindedness can be defined as "being not receptive to new (or unfamiliar) ideas", and I'm under the impression that alot of metalheads dislike too unfamiliar ideas in music. How else would one explain that more often than not the bands that are more conservative and reluctant to experiment have more success than bands that are too different from the rest (Cannibal Corpse vs Gorguts for example)?

so you do say people are narrowminded when people dislike bands that experiment with different styles. (so combining more styles together)
but its a matter of taste, some people like stuff with funk and alternative etc and some stick to thrash or death. its not necessarely narrowminded

Not neccesarily, I agree, rather it depends more on whether the people just dislike more experimental bands, or say that they are shit for being different. If people stick to thrash and death it's all fine by me, I just don't like when they say that more experimental stuff is shit, just because they don't like it.
11.10.2007 - 08:11
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.10.2007 at 23:06

so you do say people are narrowminded when people dislike bands that experiment with different styles. (so combining more styles together)
but its a matter of taste, some people like stuff with funk and alternative etc and some stick to thrash or death. its not necessarely narrowminded

Not neccesarily, I agree, rather it depends more on whether the people just dislike more experimental bands, or say that they are shit for being different. If people stick to thrash and death it's all fine by me, I just don't like when they say that more experimental stuff is shit, just because they don't like it.

I dont like funky stuff combined with my metal. start disliking me
11.10.2007 - 13:54
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.10.2007 at 08:11

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't care about your opinion enough to start disliking you for it. Anyway, this discussion is getting pointless, so I give in, and you may consider yourself a winner.
12.10.2007 - 08:34
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.10.2007 at 13:54

Written by Guest on 11.10.2007 at 08:11

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't care about your opinion enough to start disliking you for it. Anyway, this discussion is getting pointless, so I give in, and you may consider yourself a winner.

okay its all cool
13.10.2007 - 09:16
Sonsofsabbath
the average "metal head " appears to be 18.5 years old, and be:noidea: living in eastern europe
24.08.2008 - 06:55
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Written by Sonsofsabbath on 13.10.2007 at 09:16

the average "metal head " appears to be 18.5 years old, and be:noidea: living in eastern europe

here in charlotte the few metalheads that are here are usually like 14-19 im 16
24.08.2008 - 20:03
Sorg
Account deleted
Seeing as metal deals with things society would rather ignore, I would guess metalheads are generally disliked. But that doesn't matter, because you don't have to care about what the others think, because metalheads are a giant fucking family.
24.08.2008 - 20:06
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 24.08.2008 at 20:03

Seeing as metal deals with things society would rather ignore, I would guess metalheads are generally disliked. But that doesn't matter, because you don't have to care about what the others think, because metalheads are a giant fucking family.

are you sure?...then where is this giant fucking family??
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
24.08.2008 - 20:25
Sorg
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 24.08.2008 at 20:06

It's a figure of speech, it means metal is a brotherhood.
24.08.2008 - 20:27
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 24.08.2008 at 20:25

Written by Janne on 24.08.2008 at 20:06

It's a figure of speech, it means metal is a brotherhood.

aha...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
25.08.2008 - 01:06
Conemetal
Written by Arian Totalis on 09.10.2007 at 03:10

We belong to a unique subculture, filled with our own customs and diversity like no other genre of music. We live in a certain lifestyle found nowhere else, and we are all different kinds of individuals. However, we can still spot eachother in crowds, we can see who is a real fan and who isn't, and of course there are those who we would never guess such things about, but when they get home from their regulation haircut, cubical, office jobs, they are just as true through and through. There is no such thing as an "Average" metalhead, though there may be stereotypes, we are all very unique individuals.

I like this opinion Metalheads are out of the mainstream, then they are very smart
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
25.08.2008 - 03:02
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 24.08.2008 at 06:55

Are you referring to Charlotte, NC? If so, there is a massive Metal scene there. One of the biggest in the South East, and by far the biggest in NC.
----
(space for rent)
25.08.2008 - 03:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Hembrom on 03.10.2007 at 08:43

Written by Guest on 02.10.2007 at 05:52

Written by Hembrom on 25.09.2007 at 09:28

Dumb Topic , Lame Discussion

Oh I for sure agree with this...but there is so much of this on Metalstorm...if it were my way, I would see to it that a lot of these inane topics with typical and equally inane discussions be eliminated...oh, in a perfect world...just an excuse to post something I guess right?

Yeah kinda , when i started doing foruming in MS .... i use to reply in each and every post !! But after few years what i see that the same topic is been discussed with different angel. I think i am getting old or i am too lazy to post my views on the topics

I know how you feel, sometimes I'll go into a thread and say to myself "Oh yeah, I already pitched my two cents on this topic" but then notice I've never posted anything. I think its just a chance for people to bitch about being stereotyped. My two cents is, you can be a metalhead and look like a metalhead while still looking like you've got some class. Take me for example, I've got long hair and what not and I wear band shirts, but when working I still wearing my nice corduroy pants and have my hair nicely brushed. Whereas when you dress like a sleaze your obviously going for some kind of 'badass' image so your probably going to get treated like a badass. I wear the ripped jeans and sleeveless shirts as frequently as the next guy, but I dont act like its some crime if I get treated differently because of it. Even then, society is becoming a lot more open to more alternative type people that you dont really get treated that unfairly, this isn't the 1950's anymore for god sakes. At least thats the way it is over here in NA. Perhaps its different in other countries.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.08.2008 - 04:00
Oracle
Orcinus
Well my average metal head is someone who wears underground metal shirts, and they have long hair and have a great taste in metal. Also someone with a great personality and is not narrow minded.
A lot of metal heads I've seen here are mostly Metallica fans or death metal fans which look like posers anyway. Ive seen only 2 Metal heads here that aren't actually posers.
If i wear a metal shirt down the street, people, Especially other chicks look at me like I'm a freak or something. Anyway it doesn't bother me because they don't know me and i don't wanna know them lol. Most of them look the same anyway haha, with the same hair and the same clothes. They are like clones of each other lol.
18.09.2008 - 02:16
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
im also kinda pissed that everybody thinks metalheads are usually no good i get so much shit for liking metal.im half black so all my cousins listen to shitty mainstream rap and everytime i come around blaring some metal they all laugh and make jokes at me which i dont care about then on the other hand many of my classmates think im some dumb strung out bastard whos gonna fail in life when im like the only one in the class with a almost perfect A.stereotypes suck.
18.09.2008 - 23:49
Hrothdane
Written by Guest on 18.09.2008 at 02:16

im also kinda pissed that everybody thinks metalheads are usually no good i get so much shit for liking metal.im half black so all my cousins listen to shitty mainstream rap and everytime i come around blaring some metal they all laugh and make jokes at me which i dont care about then on the other hand many of my classmates think im some dumb strung out bastard whos gonna fail in life when im like the only one in the class with a almost perfect A.stereotypes suck.

Its so ridiculous the stereotypes people have. Frankly, I don't even think they try to understand metal or the people who listen to it at all. I have heard people confuse Dream Evil (a power metal band) with Marilyn Manson (WTF????????) and call Rhapsody's music "angry."
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
18.09.2008 - 23:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Oracle on 26.08.2008 at 04:00

Well my average metal head is someone who wears underground metal shirts, and they have long hair and have a great taste in metal. Also someone with a great personality and is not narrow minded.
A lot of metal heads I've seen here are mostly Metallica fans or death metal fans which look like posers anyway. Ive seen only 2 Metal heads here that aren't actually posers.

well my average metalhead is someone who doesn't think everyone else is a poser!!

ok lol just kidding
19.09.2008 - 01:06
Oracle
Orcinus
Written by Valentin B on 18.09.2008 at 23:56

Written by Oracle on 26.08.2008 at 04:00

well my average metalhead is someone who doesn't think everyone else is a poser!!

ok lol just kidding

Lol i dont think everyone is a poser... The ones that are posers wear a Metal Shirt and they dress like punks with coloured hair and they look like an embarrassment to all metalheads, also they are not serious about metal, They just use metal as a fashion statement, There is heaps of those where i live but ive seen some 'real' metalhead's too and they look like their passionate about metal and not just using it to look cool.
11.06.2010 - 23:27
busta5000
Account deleted
I do believe that in a way but ironically alot of bands actually are the dope addicts. So we the smart metal heads are not really original metal heads the drug freaks you call are the real hardcore metal heads.
13.06.2010 - 22:31
SerratedSyringe
Written by Dane Train on 25.08.2008 at 03:02

Written by Guest on 24.08.2008 at 06:55

Are you referring to Charlotte, NC? If so, there is a massive Metal scene there. One of the biggest in the South East, and by far the biggest in NC.

Hmm I've lived in the Raleigh area most of my life and there seems to be a fairly large metal scene here, unfortunately most of it is centered around prog and metalcore, neither of which I can stand. (Although stoner doom is fairly popular as well)
I've only been to Charlotte briefly, so I can't really comment on that scene.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
14.06.2010 - 02:06
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by SerratedSyringe on 13.06.2010 at 22:31

Hmm I've lived in the Raleigh area most of my life and there seems to be a fairly large metal scene here, unfortunately most of it is centered around prog and metalcore, neither of which I can stand. (Although stoner doom is fairly popular as well)
I've only been to Charlotte briefly, so I can't really comment on that scene.

Raleigh does have a huge scene too. From what I have observed, Charlotte's scene is a little bigger. But I'd say that those two plus Asheville are the three spots in NC.
----
(space for rent)
28.06.2010 - 02:35
flickaa
I think people that arent familiarized with the metal scene immediately stereotype people who listen to metal and its most likely why they associate metalheads as junkies and lowlifes...... perhaps its the image we portray... e.g Long hair, alcohol....etc .....however that's not always the case... such people can be found in different music scenes as well... so people who judge metalheads with such stereotypes then that just means they are stupid enough to not take the time and get to know the person as an indiviudal not by the music they listen to.....
29.06.2010 - 13:06
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Stereotypes are usually just that for a good reason; the average metalhead is indeed an idiot.
29.06.2010 - 14:53
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Bitter Dawn on 29.06.2010 at 13:06

Stereotypes are usually just that for a good reason; the average metalhead is indeed an idiot.

Who only cares about his beer, Iron Maiden concert tickets and gets pleasure from listening to Opeth.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
29.06.2010 - 23:38
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
I hate those dipshits who think im satanic or overdriven jst cuz they herd nile screaming their guts off on my ringtone!! those bitchassed dumb minded people with shit mentalitys.
i am a metalhead and the 3rd ranked in my class, and all the other top ranked people are metalheads too who all have their shit together, so take that nonmetal people ____/____
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
29.06.2010 - 23:41
ʝJ
SUCK MY BALLZ
AND METAL FOR LIFE
WHO THE FUCK CARES WHAT U PEOPLE THINK AN AVERAGE METAL HEAD IS
SERIOUSLY
METAL HEADS ARE JUST AMAZING PEOPLE SO SHOVE SHOVELS UP UR ANAL HOLES KIDS CAUSE UNCLE THOMAS WANTS SOME FUCKING RAPE TIME
WEST COAST FOR LIFE BITCHES REPRESENT
----
Better to die quick, fighting on your feet,
then to live forever, begging on your knees.
29.06.2010 - 23:49
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Wtf??? west coast?? what r u into rap now? you POSER!
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
30.06.2010 - 00:20
Malevolent-Jim
Apparently I'm jaded because of my music taste.Apparently my opinion on anything is worthless because I liked Metallica once.While I can admit,metal is hardly easy listening, it does get a little bit too much of a negative view amongst the average mainstream demographic.

You can understand it though,it's all new to them.A lot of them have very little idea about what kind of diversity there is about metal because it's given such a bad image and first impression (thanks to Korn,Limp Bizkit,Cradle Of Filth,etc).However I do not think that metalheads are all more intelligent than the average person just because of the music they listen to.I still see too many clueless retards claiming bands like Five Finger Death Punch and Lamb Of God to be the greatest shit evaarr by a lot of metal kids, and my opposing opinion on that is wrong too, apparently.

The point is that in metal, you will find just as many oafish morons as you would with any other type of musical demographic.People are just people.Either dumb or smart,music does not reflect intelligence.
30.06.2010 - 01:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by ʝJ on 29.06.2010 at 23:41

SUCK MY BALLZ
AND METAL FOR LIFE
WHO THE FUCK CARES WHAT U PEOPLE THINK AN AVERAGE METAL HEAD IS
SERIOUSLY
METAL HEADS ARE JUST AMAZING PEOPLE SO SHOVE SHOVELS UP UR ANAL HOLES KIDS CAUSE UNCLE THOMAS WANTS SOME FUCKING RAPE TIME
WEST COAST FOR LIFE BITCHES REPRESENT

Word.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.06.2010 - 03:53
whatsacow
Its just taste in music. I don't assume everyone who likes reggae is a druggy, or that everyone who listens to country music is tone deaf. I do assume people who listen to pop are emotionless pussies with no taste in music, and just listen to whatever everyone else listens to; but music is music. Many different types of people listen to metal, from idiots to intelligent people, from nice people to assholes, from druggo's to people who abstain from cough medicine because it has alcohol in it. Its just personla preference, it doesnt mean your a homocidal satan worshipper who likes to perform ritual sacrifices on children and eat people; or that we are angry mother fuckers and should be avoided at all costs.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?