Metal Storm logo
The Band that Invented Metal

Original post

Posted by Lupas, 01.06.2006 - 18:51
I wonder who was the first band that invented True Metal Music .
Some say that was OZZY or ACDC and others would say LED or even Metallica.
Better leave to you this decision
21.09.2006 - 15:25
Synn
Account deleted
Led Zepp's 'Immigrant Song' has a metal riff structure. Many say that that song was the beginning of metal.
25.09.2006 - 00:16
john_mcc
Some people consider The Kinks' You've Really Got Me to be the first Heavy Metal song, that was 1964. Surf guitarist Dickie Dale (Pulp Fiction theme tune) also claims to have invented Heavy Metal back in the early 60s, and both did represent a significant increase in the heaviness and aggressiveness of Rock music at the time compared to anything that had come before, even if neither are usually considered to actually be Metal. Throughout the 60s Rock and Blues continued to became gradually heavier and more aggressive until it eventually turned into Metal, and the entire English Blues-Rock movement was involved in this. Since it wwas a gradual evolution there is no huge musical wall seperating Metal on one side and blues/rock on the other.

As for the first band to play something that actually was Heavy Metal, I think that the honours are shared equally between 3 bands: Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple: Each invented different forms of actual Heavy Metal at around the same time and independently of the others, and then influenced the development of a Heavy Metal scene in different ways.
26.09.2006 - 01:44
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
From my current knowledge, here is what I have come up with. I apologize if I have forgotten something or left something out.

Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin: The bands that created heavy metal, and created the templates from which all other heavy metal bands would make their music. This meant that if they were going to play heavy metal, they would either play similar to Black Sabbath, or play similar to Led Zeppelin.

Kiss: They showed the world that heavy metal existed, and that it would be a force to be reckoned with.

Judas Priest: Took the sound of Black Sabbath and increased the tempo, allowing for faster metal.

Iron Maiden: Gave heavy metal its first mascot (Eddie) which could be seen as personifying the genre's sound.

Anvil and Manowar: Invented power metal.

Overkill, Metallica, Slayer and several other bands: These guys invented thrash metal.

Venom: Invented black metal with their appropriately name album, "Black Metal".

Death, Possessed, and Master: All are credited as the creators of death metal. It is still disputed as to which band was the first to create it, as all three were formed in 1983.

Napalm Death: Invented grindcore.

Carcass: Invented goregrind. They didn't actually play the style, but they influenced other bands down the road who would play and sound similar to Carcass.

Korn: Invented nu metal.

I'm afraid that's all I know.
06.10.2006 - 11:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 23.06.2006 at 07:57

Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd Started Metal..

I head hear it planty times that Led Zeppelin wa sone of firts, and I wont discuss it, I only can agree, but PINK FLOYD maybe you post arguments why?

Because I can not think even one
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.10.2006 - 20:44
Dime
Account deleted
Sabbath, hands down.
11.10.2006 - 00:52
Panterised
Account deleted
Black sabbath inventet metal.And the begining of metal is something else.
14.10.2006 - 03:37
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I imagine that it some how can be rooted to predate the bands who gained the most notoriety, such goes for black metal. But otherwise I would say that for modern metal, it may be a toss up between Sabbath and Zepplin. I personally liking Sabbath more would be biased to say that Ozzy and crew gave birth to true metal.
14.10.2006 - 12:59
Unholy_Emperor
Black Sabbath. Obviously not only that band, there were many at that time that contributes, but meanly, Black Sabbath.
17.10.2006 - 00:50
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5630] on 26.09.2006 at 01:44

Napalm Death invented the term "Grindcore".

The first band to play grindcore was mighty Repulsion, who also invented Goregrind.

Repulsion influced all the big names: Every Goregrind band to date, Napalm Death, Terrorizer, Carcass, Impetigo etc...

'Horrified', their only album to date, did influce Carcass and all their gore-filled stuff, that's the reason why Repulsion's debut got officaly released on Carcass' own label in 1989. Though the album was first released in 1986 befor anything near to Grindcore walked the face of the earth.
17.10.2006 - 03:13
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14220] on 17.10.2006 at 00:50

The first band to play grindcore was mighty Repulsion, who also invented Goregrind.

Repulsion influced all the big names: Every Goregrind band to date, Napalm Death, Terrorizer, Carcass, Impetigo etc...

'Horrified', their only album to date, did influce Carcass and all their gore-filled stuff, that's the reason why Repulsion's debut got officaly released on Carcass' own label in 1989. Though the album was first released in 1986 befor anything near to Grindcore walked the face of the earth.

I'll have to argue with you on that. Napalm Death was technically the first grindcore band, as they formed back in 1982, two years before Repulsion.

Look at when Repulsion formed.
Now look at when Napalm Death formed.

The truth is, many bands were playing that style back then. Napalm Death and Repulsion are simply big innovators, with no band having greater influence than the other.
17.10.2006 - 03:41
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Who the hell cares when they formed, it's about the music, and Napalm Death was a D-Beat/Hardcore Punk band in the vein of Discharge.

Edit: By the way, Repulsion formed in 1984 under Genocide and play Grindcore since than.
Napalm Death who then got the last bit of influce they needed by Repulsion, play Grindcore since late 1985/86.

Edit#2: About the bigger influce, well yes it's true. Everyone knows ND and no one gives a shit about Repulsion, but they are the bigger influce imo, because they influced the good, old bands and did you ever see Repulsion covering ND? Hell no, lemme quote ND: "Leaders, not Followers", and on this album they fukken covered Repulsion.

Edit#3: Never ever argue with an idiot
17.10.2006 - 04:46
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14220] on 17.10.2006 at 03:41

Edit#3: Never ever argue with an idiot

Wait, did you just call yourself an idiot?
17.10.2006 - 04:51
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Yes o_O?

Anyway: I don't wanna get offtopic and it's time for my bedtime (3:50am LoL)!

Good Night DeathMetalBread
17.10.2006 - 07:18
jadawal
Id say Led Zeppelin all the way, but Camel were definatly influential as well.
22.10.2006 - 00:22
marillionfan
Account deleted
Black Sabbath are the forefathers of metal but other bands had their contributions as well: Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple for instance.
30.10.2006 - 19:42
islanzadi
black sabbath.

some say led zeppelin,but generally,it is accepted that black sabbath is the first heavy metal band
05.11.2006 - 00:28
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by islanzadi on 30.10.2006 at 19:42

black sabbath.

some say led zeppelin,but generally,it is accepted that black sabbath is the first heavy metal band

yep, formed in 66,' and the majority of their songs hold the traditional metal sound (Except Much darker lyrics) As to where Zep formed later than they did, and were for the most part hard rock, with only a few songs meeting enough requirements to truly be considered metal.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
05.11.2006 - 16:31
FOOCK Nam
I heard from a Canadian dude that Deep Purple with the song " Highway Star", first song of heavy metal or something
07.11.2006 - 02:44
Black_Crown
Account deleted
I have just glaneced at the topics and most everyone says sabbath. Yes i agree partly with that they started the evil feel of it but it was blue cheer who started the "heavyness" of metal. And it was Priest and Maiden who took it too the limit with "pure metal"
16.11.2006 - 03:11
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5630] on 17.10.2006 at 03:13

I'll have to argue with you on that. Napalm Death was technically the first grindcore band, as they formed back in 1982, two years before Repulsion.

The truth is, many bands were playing that style back then. Napalm Death and Repulsion are simply big innovators, with no band having greater influence than the other.

Check out the album Drop Dead by Siege. It predates both Napalm Death and Repulsion, and other than the fact that it doesn't have blastbeats, it's pretty much grindcore. As far as I know, they ARE the first band to ever play grindcore. But Repulsion and Napalm Death are both amazing anyway.
16.11.2006 - 03:14
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
And the argument of Napalm Death forming in 1982 doesn't really count because, as Fucked Upstairs stated, Napalm Death started out as a hardcore punk band with their number one influence being Crass.
16.11.2006 - 04:12
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by [user id=641] on 16.11.2006 at 03:11

Written by [user id=5630] on 17.10.2006 at 03:13

Check out the album Drop Dead by Siege. It predates both Napalm Death and Repulsion, and other than the fact that it doesn't have blastbeats, it's pretty much grindcore. As far as I know, they ARE the first band to ever play grindcore. But Repulsion and Napalm Death are both amazing anyway.

Wait, who?
16.11.2006 - 14:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
It has always been hard for me to decide between Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. And I believe that I wrote Led Zeppelin in this topic but I have come to the conclusion that Black Sabbath invented metal since Led Zeppelin is more Hard-rock than metal.
----
16.11.2006 - 16:20
4look4rd
The Sasquatch

Venom: Invented black metal with their appropriately name album, "Black Metal".

I think King Diamond singing for Mercyful Fate "invented" Black Metal, Venom was the first to call it Black Metal, however MF gave the structure for the lyrics, even tho they never played black metal.
I also think that Heavy Metal was invented in the 17th or 18th century, by Bethoven and all of thees classical music composer. Because if you listen to the music closely you can see that it does have many similarities to modern Heavy Metal, its just played with different instruments.
----
17.11.2006 - 01:06
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
I have to say Sabbath were the creators of metal(in the music world). Led Zeppelin was Hard rock/blues, and AC/DC was just hard rock but didn't have what it took to be metal. Of course after sabbath more heavy metal came on(Maiden, Priest, Savatage, Metal Church, ETC.) but they were, like I said, after sabbath.

The true creation of metal is something no one knows, but they or it must've been pretty damn good.:noidea:
17.11.2006 - 03:26
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
@ insineratehymn: Siege weren't as well known as Repulsion or Napalm Death but still worth checking out their CD, Drop Dead
17.11.2006 - 14:17
FOOCK Nam

Anvil and Manowar: Invented power metal.

Is that US power metal, because power metal from Europe is different, more melodic and epic. I heard Helloween was the pioneer of power metal in Europe?
21.11.2006 - 12:30
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Led Zepplin,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden & Manowar combine to Bands that Invented Metal..Not really invented but influenced others..
21.11.2006 - 13:26
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by [user id=17724] on 21.11.2006 at 12:30

Led Zepplin,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden & Manowar combine to Bands that Invented Metal..Not really invented but influenced others..

Manowar and Iron Maiden certainly didn't, as they existed after those who did influence/create. I'd say they were more pioneers in shaping some of today's genres.
21.11.2006 - 14:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Manowar and Iron Maiden? No way, what would you call Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and a lot of other bands before them then?
----