Metal Storm logo
Benighted - New Song Up

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 10.10.2007 - 14:36
An uberly fantastic death grind band from France with incredibly catchy and memorable songs. I'm pretty sure a lot of you know this band so I won't ramble on about them. Identisick and Insane Cephalic Production are both very sweet albums indeed.

One thing to note that I love about this band is that I find that they're as aggressive a band can be without passing over into "brutal" territory so they retain a lot of their groove, melody and how shall I put it? Headbang-a-bility? Something like that.

Anyhoo my main reason for this topic is to gather opinions of the new album 'Icon' if anyone's heard it? Have a slight worry they're gonna head down the Deathcore path :/
16.10.2008 - 00:13
These Musiciens are fucking insane i listened to Identsick They have a great sound
16.10.2008 - 00:17
SK921
Account deleted
Identsick and Icon have some the most catcheist death metal songs evar!
16.10.2008 - 13:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pretty much the perfect walking-and-listening-to-your-mp3-player-music. Genius.
21.12.2008 - 01:53
I've been meaning to check this band out for awhile. What is the best album to start with?
21.12.2008 - 11:06
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by theflyingmachine on 21.12.2008 at 01:53

I've been meaning to check this band out for awhile. What is the best album to start with?

Identisick and Icon are both pretty damn awesome. I think the general public prefers Identisick, so you might want to start with that one. Can't really go wrong with either of them. And if you do, try out the other one
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
21.12.2008 - 16:08
Thanks, I'll check that one out
22.12.2008 - 17:57
Baz Anderson
Staff
But don't forget ICP too!! That's a great great album, just not quite so tight and not such a sharp production.
22.12.2008 - 22:10
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Baz Anderson on 22.12.2008 at 17:57

But don't forget ICP too!! That's a great great album, just not quite so tight and not such a sharp production.

Yes, ICP is a great great album.. I started to listen to Benighted with that album, and I really liked the band after listening to that album.. Specially foetus and Stay Brutal were my favorite songs..
But today my favorite Benighted album is Identisick..
22.12.2008 - 23:09
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yes, "Foetus" is just a brutal as hell song..
My favourite Benighted album is actually probably "Icon" though.. I think I overplayed "Identisick" a little too much.. plus I have the shirt for "Icon" I got in France. Hahaha.
19.02.2009 - 23:43
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Has anyone heard the re-issue of ICP ? Holy whore of god, i've never listened to the original album and i see some people here complaining about the production. I can say that the production is great on the re-issue and the songs are just so brutal and catchy, Benighted are responsible for my agressive behaviour. The artwork is sick also.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
20.02.2009 - 03:31
Baz Anderson
Staff
Interesting, I would like to hear a re-master of it.
20.02.2009 - 03:35
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'd like a re-recording because I think Julien's vocals have improved since ICP.
20.02.2009 - 16:26
Hamird
Lieutenant
Is it features new vocals? If it is, it must be very exciting..
20.02.2009 - 16:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't see why they'd need to touch ICP, it was a bit raw round the gills but I really liked that. Gave it a nice dirty edge.
21.02.2009 - 18:42
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Hey guys i don't know if the songs were re-recorded but it's no matter, the new ICP is really worth the listen.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
22.02.2009 - 19:21
Galar
Wicked Mung
I LOVE the vocals in this band. Such a wide range of high piched low growl vocals etc.... Not to mention the guitars are superb. French death metal FTW!!!
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
28.08.2009 - 22:02
I just bought Identisick and am really enjoying it. Although they are probably death metal at the core, they seem to draw influences all over the place. I fully plan to check out another album and it looks like ICP or Icon are their two other best albums. What is the difference in sound between those two albums? Considering there is rap on Icon, is that more of a nu-metal/deathcore sound?
29.08.2009 - 00:07
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by theflyingmachine on 28.08.2009 at 22:02

I just bought Identisick and am really enjoying it. Although they are probably death metal at the core, they seem to draw influences all over the place. I fully plan to check out another album and it looks like ICP or Icon are their two other best albums. What is the difference in sound between those two albums? Considering there is rap on Icon, is that more of a nu-metal/deathcore sound?

Haha, have you just read somewhere that there is "rap" or something? The "rap" bit on that album is about three seconds long and is more of a bit of fun than proper music.

"ICP" has a much more brutal production and bassy brutal sound. "Icon" is still a brutal album though - it just sounds much more polished. "Icon" is the faster album as well, more bass drums and overall insanity. Both are fantastic albums but I prefer "Icon"... just.
29.08.2009 - 01:02
If that is the case, maybe I'll just check both out then
29.08.2009 - 07:14
Galar
Wicked Mung
Sooooooooooooooooooooo brootal.
love this shit
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
29.08.2009 - 18:25
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I find ICP's re-issue to be possibly their best record. I've never heard the original version but I can say that this time around the production is meaty and the songs are soo adrenaline filled, I can see myself doing backflips on my bed listening to this stuff.
----
30.08.2009 - 06:25
Written by Visioneerie on 29.08.2009 at 18:25

I find ICP's re-issue to be possibly their best record. I've never heard the original version but I can say that this time around the production is meaty and the songs are soo adrenaline filled, I can see myself doing backflips on my bed listening to this stuff.

Is it just me, or have you not posted in awhile?
30.08.2009 - 23:33
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by theflyingmachine on 30.08.2009 at 06:25

Written by Visioneerie on 29.08.2009 at 18:25

Is it just me, or have you not posted in awhile?

Yeah you're right I haven't been posting as much these days. I'm alive and breathing though, it's the fact that I've started college a week ago so I'm kept busier than usual. Anyways, thanks for the heads up man haha and you should definitely check out the ICP re-issue, I'm assuming it's better than the original and it has some really killer tracks.
----
31.08.2009 - 16:36
I fully intend to check out the re-issue of ICP, and am also going to give Icon a listen.

Good luck with college...it sucks, but hopefully, you'll never have to go back after you are done.
29.10.2009 - 08:22
Benighted, along gorod and goryptic are the holy trinity of french death metal. if you don' t agree go and zip from a bottle of cheap american wine
----
i'm going to wacken 2011, if someone wants to join me please contact me. also looking for a german pal (english or spanish spoken) who let me stay with him/her at his/her place for a month.
PLEASE HELP A METAL BROTHER IN NEED
12.05.2010 - 17:01
I finally listened to ICP and Icon. Both are good albums, though maybe not quite at the level of Identisick. I bought ICP, which is less catchy than Identisick, but definitely a grower after a few listens. I downloaded Icon, which has some strong tracks and is a pretty solid album, though I am not sure if I will buy it.
One thing I've worried about with this band is the possibility that they will go mainstream, given their sound on Identisick. Based on Icon, I don't think that'll be happening, which is good.
12.05.2010 - 17:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by theflyingmachine on 12.05.2010 at 17:01

One thing I've worried about with this band is the possibility that they will go mainstream, given their sound on Identisick. Based on Icon, I don't think that'll be happening, which is good.

I worried about that myself before Icon came out, it'd be very easy for these guys to slip into deathcore territory, but considering Icon is slightly more death metal orientated than the slightly grindy-death of Identisick I think it's pretty unlikely too.
14.05.2010 - 22:49
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Regardless, I don't think the deathgrind that Benighted play on Identisick will ever be considered linked in some way to the mainstream. Their new album should be in the making right now, eager to see what they come up with.
----
15.05.2010 - 16:50
Written by Visioneerie on 14.05.2010 at 22:49

Regardless, I don't think the deathgrind that Benighted play on Identisick will ever be considered linked in some way to the mainstream.

I agree, but it seemed like their sound could have become more deathcore-ish on their later albums, as JOOH said. At least on Icon, that didn't happen, which is good.
15.05.2010 - 18:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's not uncommon for people to describe Benighted as deathcore, in fact I'm pretty sure MA had them under Deathcore/Brutal Death or something similar for a while a few years back. I think it's just the hardcore-esque vocals that Benighted frequently employ which puts the idea into people's heads. I'm not really bothered if people want to label them as such, it'd make them the premiere Deathcore act on the planet.

People also seem to want to call this band "brutal death metal" and while I agree they are indeed brutal in violent, Napalm Death kind of way, I wouldn't call then brutal death metal as a genre like you would say Nile, or Hate Eternal or whatever. I'm probably alone in that assertion though.