09. Night Falls Fast
10. The Great Darkness
11. Vultures
12. The Oath [Kiss cover] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Live In South Ameica DVD]
01. I Am Legend / Out for Blood
02. Diva Satanica
+ Tour Movie

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". With this motto leading Sweden's Arch Enemy vision, Rise of the Tyrant should sound like any of their previous albums, right? Wrong! They took all of their experience and added some to brought forth an incredible effort. But let's rewind a tad. Arch Enemy is the brainchild of talented guitarist Michael Amott, who after leaving the band Carcass, deviled in different projects before forming the band. However, the band really got in the public eye when a German female vocalist by the name of Angela Gossow joined to record Wages of Sin on 2000. Since then, Arch Enemy has become one of the beloved children of the Gothenburg Death Metal sound.

With the return of Christopher Amott on guitars, Arch Enemy has regained its lustrous guitar work due the mind-blowing harmony with his brother Michael. The band has upped the guitar work another notch to create amazing melodies with sharp edges. Just listen to the opening tack, 'Blood on your Hands', and see for yourself! And with the confirmation of Angela Gossow on vocals and a stable line-up, Arch Enemy is as healthy as you've ever been.

Another difference from their recent works is clearly the musicianship of Christopher and his vision to crack guitar solos all over the place. One can tell that the brothers are having a really good time on this record. As for the vocals, Angela's death voice sound more natural than on their previous work Doomsday Machine (less effects/production I guess). It all seems more natural, more fluid than on their previous album. The aggression is definitely still there, but somehow, the melodies of their Gothenburg sound are taking the better part of the sound. Arch Enemy is not afraid to slow down the pace at times, such as on 'Revolution Begins', only to create hypnotic atmospheres. The only hitch I can pick up is that a couple of tracks are not to the full potential of the album, but again, there is plenty to rejoice about. 'The Last Enemy' for example, is one of their most enthused tunes since the Wages of Sin era.

My verdict? Arch Enemy is risen. The Amott brothers are having the time of their life and the song-writing is more inspired than usual. Overall, what promised to be more of the same, ends up being a highlight in the career of the Swedish band. Arch Enemy proves again that inspired Melodic Death is alive and well by releasing one of this year's best albums.

Highlights: 'Blood on your Hands', The Last Enemy', 'Revolution Begins' and 'The Day You Died'

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 13.10.2007 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 54   Visited by: 335 users
13.10.2007 - 05:18
Piro
Good review, I agree it is quite a great album.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
13.10.2007 - 08:23
MUSIC?
Account deleted
It's the best album they've done with the Angela.
13.10.2007 - 10:30
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Haven't heard the album yet and had some doubt about it...but after reading this review it's definiatly on my must have list
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.10.2007 - 11:51
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I actually disagree with some things you wrote, I don't think it deserves such a high rating, I don't think it is one of the best albums of the year (hardly) although I agree that "the day you died" is one of the best songs on this album. Alongside with the instrumental "Intermezzo Liberté" it is my favourite song.

Well, the first time I heard this album I was disappointed, I even wrote something on their thread being silly and dramatic over it lol Anyhow, I have listened to it a lot lately and I have learned to enjoy it more but it doesnt make my heart sing. I noticed they added a few things just listen to "I will live again".

I still think that the lyrics are repetitive and especially if you have their other albums you'll notice that. And like you said the formula is the same, it seems to be working for them but it will be tiring after a while. Its tiring me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.10.2007 - 12:10
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
I disagree immensely with this review. To quote myself:

"This album is utterly mediocre. It never, at any point, steps over into the boundaries of good or bad, just plain... plain. The reason for this is that the album is completely saccahrine sweet. Just a bunch of guitar wankery built around unimaginative and unoriginal songs. Not one of the songs stands out on this album, they all follow the same formula pretty much and rarely deviate from what is Trivium like obviousness.

When I got hold of this I listened to it through about 3 times thinking it was actually ok, but that was a month ago and I've not gone back to it since. When I tried I just had the feeling that I'd gotten everything this album has to offer in those 3 listens.

You can't fault Amott's geetar skills, just his creation of the riffs. He's still one of my favourite guitar players but I'm dissapointed at how little effort he put into this album. I guess it's a small mercy that most (though not all) of Gossow's horrid vocal effects have gone. She still doesn't sound completely natural though.

A stadium album. Nothing more."
13.10.2007 - 13:07
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes, I don't know how valid my opinion is on this because I haven't been a big fan of Arch Enemy for a long time, even after seeing them live this summer

but I just found this album plain, boring and nothing special at all
maybe I need to listen to it more, but I really don't feel like giving it the time
it just seemed like typical Arch Enemy - totally overrated and blown out of proportion

still, I suppose if you are an avid fan of the band, you will probably react the way the review is written, it will please Arch Enemy fans
13.10.2007 - 13:58
metalhead86
the first time i listened to the album i thought "holy shit ", now the more i listen to it the more i realise that this is just another medicore cd, it's not bad but there's just nothing new about it... i definitely miss their older stuff
13.10.2007 - 14:38
Abattoir
Staff
Good album for me. Nothing special, like they we're saying before the release...but anyway
13.10.2007 - 15:46
Rating: 6
Stigmatized
9.1? Nah, it's not that good IMO. I couldn't get into this album, a lot of the material sounded rehashed from the last 2. I'd give it about a 6.5.
13.10.2007 - 16:04
MorbiD GoD
Some doubtful solos but a very strong sound.
Arch's best album in my opinion.
13.10.2007 - 16:25
DragonSlayer
Account deleted
"unimaginative and unoriginal songs"

+1

This album is BORING! I love 'Wages Of Sin' because, even if it is a bit unoriginal, it got passion and hunger, but this one here is just a band going through the motions trying to cash on the success that the last boring fest (read 'Apocalypse Machine') got on America.
13.10.2007 - 16:36
HardSide
It's a good album, but definately does not deserve such a high rating. There have been albums reviewed by Metalstorm that are much better then this album and yet they got a lower rating.

However to sum everything you wrote that I agree with, yes its much better then their last album (Doomsday Machine), it goes back to their roots, and yes the guitar is excellent and uplifting for those who wanna hear how In Flames, Dark Tranqulity use to sound like when they were in their prime. However vocal wise, even if she is trying her hardest on this album, it still doesn't cut it. Such good guitar talent should not be wasted on such a bad vocalist.
13.10.2007 - 20:18
PrettyMao
Written by Guest on 13.10.2007 at 12:10

I guess it's a small mercy that most (though not all) of Gossow's horrid vocal effects have gone. She still doesn't sound completely natural though.

A stadium album. Nothing more."

I hate to sound like one of those fans that can never move on when a band changes. Which is almost never the case as I like lots of bands that have greatly changed their sound and/or line-ups over the years....

But with Arch Enemy I just can't get into them with Angela singing, and trust me I have tried having been with them since Stigmata. The rifts on the Angela albums are prety damn good most of the time, but I find Angela's vocals flat and lacking the intensity that Johan Liiva... She doesn't sound "natural" and I am not referring to sound effects, but rather, she feels out of place and sometimes sounds like she is trying too hard to make an impression, but everyone can see through it...

Anyways, I might download a single here or there, but I have not had the desire to get an Arch Enemy album since Johan's departure...

That being said, if anyone did like Johan's vocals check out his other bands; Hearse, Furbowl, NonExist... He still has what it takes in my opinion.
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
13.10.2007 - 21:30
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Weird to see that many people here have the same opinion. I found it UTTERLY BORING. I haven't even felt like listening to the whole album, I think I stopped two songs before the end, and I was forcing myself not to. I don't think I'll try to listen to it again. I won't make it. I'd give it a 6, and yet, I'm generous.
13.10.2007 - 22:34
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
"Angela's death voice sound more natural than on their previous work "Doomsday Machine" (less effects/production I guess)." As Angela said herself, on the last record she recorded three layers of vocals on each song, just to test the effect of it, now she's gone back to record only ONE track of vocals to sound more natural, and agressive.

The review is great, and the album is great, and Arch Enemy ARE just fucking brilliant!
14.10.2007 - 01:28
MetalHead74
I do not agree with the review. I'm one of those who thinks it's just an average album.IMO the first 2 albums they did with Angela (Wages of Sin and Anthems of Rebellion) are their best work they've done so far.
14.10.2007 - 01:39
Fane
100% agree on this one. They really have improved their guitars and Angela's voice is more natural now which is good imo. One of the best albums on this year!
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
14.10.2007 - 10:31
Rating: 9
Danny Thomas
i couldn't agree more, in fact you took the words right out of my mouth. i was disappointed in anthems of rebellion and doomsday machine was better but still lacking compared to wages, but this album might just be their best overall album, at least since Angela joined.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
14.10.2007 - 12:13
Bash'
:)
The reveiw was a bit ... avoiding alittle ... anyways, I agree with hardcorish riffs ... it's a boring & plain for after some listens......
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
14.10.2007 - 15:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
funny this was actually the FIRST raving review I have read about this album anywhere (even the mainstream metal mags found it plain and boring and uninspired pure stadium metal)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2007 - 15:23
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2007 at 15:02

funny this was actually the FIRST raving review I have read about this album anywhere (even the mainstream metal mags found it plain and boring and uninspired pure stadium metal)

I find it hard to believe that so many people find this uninspired. I find this "Rise of the Tyrant" quite enjoyable, and not boring at all. You want boring? Well, turn on mainstream radio.

But it's clear that I am part of a minority regarding this release. I just was not aware of that before reading the comments here
14.10.2007 - 15:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dream Taster on 14.10.2007 at 15:23

I find it hard to believe that so many people find this uninspired. I find this "Rise of the Tyrant" quite enjoyable, and not boring at all. You want boring? Well, turn on mainstream radio.

But it's clear that I am part of a minority regarding this release. I just was not aware of that before reading the comments here

I haven't heard Rise of the Tyrant yet so I can't judge yet, but if it is anything like their previous two then it is unspired and boring for me too. The only album with Angela I found great and inspired up to this point was Wages Of Sin
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2007 - 15:34
Sunioj
I personally think that this was at least better than Doomsday Machine and Anthems of Rebellion. I would give this album like a 7. At least it wasn't as slow and mid paced as the previous. I also find Angela's vocal qualities to be at its prime of Wages of Sin.
14.10.2007 - 17:21
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Personally I think they've been getting a little bit worse with each new release since Wages Of Sin, but I still like this album, and I prefer it over the thousands of wannabe In Flames that pop up each month. I don't see how any Arch Enmy fan can be dissapointed with this. Let's say I wouldn't rate it 9.1, more like 8.1.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
14.10.2007 - 20:07
Danny Thomas

as i said, i'm with you on this one. i thought it was a breath of fresh air compared to their last 2
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
15.10.2007 - 03:18
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Well, guess i'm the only one who thinks they're getting better and better...repetitive - maybe, but i couldn't agree more about the "if not broken, why fix" moto...The brothers' guitar symphonies are mindblowing, Angela sings like an angel...of death, of course... I just love every single one of Arch Enemy's albums, ESPECIALLY with Anglela, and Rise of the Tyrant is among their best imo...So i'm with you on this one, not-haters... If i could only get my hands on that Japanese bonus track...
15.10.2007 - 04:30
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
"Rise Of The Tyrant"... are they trying to make some sort of analogous connection with the Bush administration?
15.10.2007 - 08:01
Dhamer
Ya fucking great album, to bad it SUCKS......
15.10.2007 - 08:31
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff

Well, I'm certainly in agreement with your review here, so count me in the minority too I think this is their best Angela-fronted record, along with Wages Of Sin. Angela's vocals sound better, the brothers Amott seem inspired instead of tired like they did to me last CD release. Along with a few other CDs, they are in heavy rotation in my car player and at work! Cheers for not following the trend of so many other review sites!!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
15.10.2007 - 13:04
Rating: 7
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
its good and all, but 9.1 i think is a bit high
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains

Hits total: 13315 | This month: 25