Metal Storm logo
The Last Concert You Attended

Original post

Posted by Deadsoulman, 16.10.2007 - 09:33
Ok people, like the old one, this is the place to tell us your latest concert experiences!

I'll start by pasting my last message in the old thread:

I saw Behemoth, Kataklysm, Aborted and Lyfthrasyr on Sunday.

As I may write a report about this one, I won't say much. Just that Kataklysm, and above all Behemoth, were amazing. Really. Absolutely amazing. I've been blown away, even if it was the third time this year I was seeing Behemoth live (after the No Mercy fest and the Hellfest). But, as headliners, they are even better.

Ok, I'll just give you the setlists of the last two bands, for those who care
Setlist Kataklysm:
Like Angels (Weeping The Dark)
Let Them Burn
Ambassador Of Pain
The Resurrected
Crippled & Broken
Serenity In Fire
1999:6661:2000
Where The Enemy Sleeps...
Beyond Salvation
As I Slither
Face The Face Of War
Manipulator Of Souls
In Shadows And Dust

Setlist Behemoth:
Rome 64 C.E.
Slaying The Prophets Of Isa
Antichristian Phenomenon
Demigod
From The Pagan Vastlands
Prometherion
Conquer All
Christgrinding Avenue
Drum Solo
Slaves Shall Serve
As Above So Below
Summoning Of the Ancient Gods
Christians To The Lions
Decade Of Therion
Chant For Eschaton 2000

Encore:
I Got Erection (Turbonegro cover)

To reply to another post in the old thread, both bands played approximately 75 minutes.

Next to come is Enslaved and Keep Of Kalessin tomorrow
07.06.2010 - 09:42
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Therion just like 4 hours ago and it was awesome snowy knows how to put a good show
to mega therion, and blood of kingu were the best
----
Stay Metal !!!
07.06.2010 - 22:35
Don Martin
le fu-
Written by MetallicA on 06.06.2010 at 20:19

Written by Don Martin on 06.06.2010 at 15:08

Written by MetallicA on 06.06.2010 at 10:17

Maryland Deathfest YES!!!!!

here's all the bands I watched: The Communion, Putrescence, Defeatist, Naxul, Possossed, Gorguts, DRI, Howl, Sulaco, Obliteration, Deceased, Wolfbrigade, Portal, The Chasm, Sadistic Intent, Melechesh, Repulsion, Autopsy, Rottenness, Surroundings, Rompeprop, Magrudergrind, Gorod, Necrophobic, Pestilence, Pentagram, Eyehategod, Nirvana2002, Obituary, Ingrowing, Birdflesh, General Surgery, Impaled, Blood Duster, Malignancy, Coffins, Entombed

about 20 others played too.

Exploding with jealousy, especially because of Autopsy and Rompeprop. 2 of my favourite bands... Did they play good?

My last one was Bolt Thrower, had a neck injury for 2 weeks

they were awesome! 2 of my favorite sets actually. \m/

I also went last year and saw Bolt Thrower...man that was an amazing show!

BT are like a fucking tank, best band I ever saw apart from Dying Fetus and Nile. It's kinda weird Autopsy doesn't actually REALLY reunite, because Chris Reifert is still good mates with Danny Coralles and Eric Cutler doesn't seem like a guy you can have heavy fights with...
----
What a tackastrophe!
07.06.2010 - 22:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Doom metal show on Thursday in a tiny room inside a tiny bar -

Trees
Generic funeral doom that sounded scary and cool at first, but overall was quite lame. The guitarist was playing while sitting on a chair, not seeming to care much about stage presence, so eventually I left

Bloody Panda
I didn't even know these guys were playing until the day of the concert, and I'm glad I decided to go because they put on a great show. The robes that they wore helped set the mood and Yoshiko's voice sounded great.
08.06.2010 - 13:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Don Martin on 07.06.2010 at 22:35

It's kinda weird Autopsy doesn't actually REALLY reunite

I've got news for you.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.06.2010 - 14:51
Last gig I saw was a few NZ bands at the local bar:

[insert band here] - pre nevermind nirvana rip off. Don't know why they were at this gig
Big Punch - Punk instrumental. Surprisingly good.
Mothra - Isis meets Deftones instrumental. Very good. Very good.
Fornax Chemica - These guys are amazing. Album is out on Itunes and possibly elsewhere. Check them out: http://www.myspace.com/fornaxchemica

Also saw Nile a week or so ago, with Hate Eternal (meh) and another death band - kiwi, quite good

Nile played:

Kafir, Sacrifice unto Sebek, Ithyphallic, Execration text, 4th arra of Dagon, Hittie dung incantation, sarcophagus, papyrus containing (...), lashed to the slave stick, permitting the noble dead to descend to the underworld, and black seeds of vengeance. Plus one other from Amoungst the Catacombs that I didn't recognise.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
14.06.2010 - 19:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Vital Remains
They were good I guess, but just like last time, their live show didn't sound as good as it does on CD

Warbringer
This was like the 4th time I've seen this band, and every night they fucking tear up the stage. Probably the best band of the night, as usual

Pestilence
These guys put on an awesome show. Despite an annoying song from Resurrection Macabre, everything they played was solid, even stuff from Spheres. My favorite song of the night was definitely Dehydration, but everything sounded great, especially Jeroen's 5 string (6?) fretless bass, which was loud and clear. After the show, I had both Patricks sign a free tour poster printout and talked to them for a while.

I also saw Jeff Loomis at the bar
26.06.2010 - 01:14
Derwood
Iron Maiden w/ Dream Theater Vancouver, BC Jun 24, 2010

A completely sold out show (about 17,000) with an incredibly enthusiastic crowd. For anyone who watched the Olympic hockey this year, this concert was in the venue most of the men's games, including the gold medal game, were played. The sound couldn't have been better.

Dream Theater

Anyone who thinks Mike Portnoy is overrated as a drummer needs to go see Dream Theater live. I've always respected Portnoy's skill and considered him a very good drummer, but seeing him last night has moved him into my personal "one of the best" category. Absolutely phenomenal performance. However, when the drummer has the strongest stage presence in a band, the rest of the members might want to give some thought to their performances.

Historically, unlike Iron Maiden, Dream Theater changes their set for every show, avoiding playing the same songs in the same city from tour to tour. This tour they seem to have been playing the same set each night, so we got treated to an outstanding set, the band closing their set with one of the two biggest highlights of the entire night.

1. As I Am
2. A Rite Of Passage
3. Home
4. Constant Motion
5. Panic Attack
6. Pull Me Under

"Pull Me Under" was an absolutely brilliant performance of one of their best songs. All of the twits who couldn't be bothered to watch Dream Theater (about half the arena from my estimate) missed out.

Iron Maiden

I've made no secret how disappointed I was when I learned of Iron Maiden's setlist for this tour. To rub a little salt in the wounds, they have been alternating "Dance of Death" with "Paschendale" on a nightly basis and instead of the excellent "Paschendale" we got the mediocre "Dance of Death" in Vancouver. What we got:

1. The Wicker Man
2. Ghost Of The Navigator
3. Wrathchild
4. El Dorado
5. Dance Of Death
6. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
7. These Colours Don't Run
8. Blood Brothers
9. Wildest Dreams
10. No More Lies
11. Brave New World
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

14. Encore:
14. The Number of the Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

This was my first chance to see Iron Maiden. I came into the show with high expectations based on their reputation and having seen a lot of live video of the band. I wasn't disappointed. These guys clearly love playing live. Every member of the band looked like they were having the time of their lives on that stage and the performance was more than enough to overcome the weak set list. I left the show with the impression that Maiden could have played a set of Michael Buble covers and managed to leave the crowd wanting more, despite Ger's ridiculous prancing and overwrought theatrics.

The biggest highlight of the night for me was "Blood Brothers." Before playing the song, Bruce dedicated the performance to Ronnie James Dio, speaking of the passing of a mentor, idol and friend. He had to stop for a moment and simply let the crowd chant Dio's name with horns raised to the roof. For all the bands doing shameless $$ making tribute stuff, this is the way to pay tribute to a legend. We can all banter back and forth about the "brotherhood of metal" and whether it has any real existence or not, but in that moment, 17,000 sure as hell felt it did as we remembered and honoured the memory of Mr. Dio.

Not to say Bruce was above making a shameless plug or two for the new album, even having the crowd shout the release date back to him before launching in to "Running Free." That cost him some serious respect points in my book and slightly soured the taste I was left with in the end.

Overall, the setlist was weak, Gers was himself, but Iron Maiden are meant to be enjoyed live. Hell, they even managed to make the tedious "Brave New World" thoroughly head bang worthy last night. Not a small feat.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
27.06.2010 - 03:28
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Mine was Lacuna Coil, the 12th of June. It was the most amazing concert I've ever attended, not only because the concert was excellent, but because I enjoyed it a lot.

I was really surprised when I saw that the place where they played the concert was really small, I think around 200 persons attended the show, and because of this, I could get a place very near of them, specially Cristina.

Hope to see them soon again.
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
27.06.2010 - 16:45
Warman
Erotic Stains
That Maiden setlist was really good, I hope they'll play something similar in August. I love that they did not play "Run to the Hills" and "The Trooper"!
----
27.06.2010 - 16:48
Stigmatized
Written by Warman on 27.06.2010 at 16:45

That Maiden setlist was really good, I hope they'll play something similar in August. I love that they did not play "Run to the Hills" and "The Trooper"!

Not playing "Run to the Hills" is fine, but "The Trooper" has always been a favorite of mine. That one needs to stay.
27.06.2010 - 16:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Stigmatized on 27.06.2010 at 16:48

Not playing "Run to the Hills" is fine, but "The Trooper" has always been a favorite of mine. That one needs to stay.

No! I've seen them perform it three times, that's enough!
----
28.06.2010 - 06:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Saint Vitus!

These guys were just perfect - the sound quality, individual's performances (especially their new drummer... damn that guy is good), and the set list. They played some of my favorite songs that they claimed to not have played live since the 80's, which surprised me, but I'm glad they decided to dust them off that night
28.06.2010 - 17:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 28.06.2010 at 06:02

Saint Vitus!

These guys were just perfect - the sound quality, individual's performances (especially their new drummer... damn that guy is good), and the set list. They played some of my favorite songs that they claimed to not have played live since the 80's, which surprised me, but I'm glad they decided to dust them off that night

Vazquez is brilliant indeed. Damn he hits those drums hard.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2010 - 04:14
King Ajax
Iron Maiden and Automan.ca at the MTS Center in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada.

Automan.ca were terrible. I can't describe it anymore, I'd rather see Munity Within agian. After 4 songs they had enough booing, the only time the crowd cheeredwas when they weretaking down their backdrop.

Iron Maiden was Iron Maiden and put on a great show. Me and my buddies hung out their 5 hours before the show and me and one of my friends got first to the barrier. It was my friend's first show, and Iron Maiden ishis favorite band, so i took him to FTTB and at the end we both got a Dave Murray pick, and he got Dave's wristband.
----
Metal Up Your Ass!
04.07.2010 - 21:49
Bastard Sapling, Inter Arma, Caltrop and Hog - at Slim's Downtown, in Raleigh, NC, US.

Bastard Sapling was excellent and the drummer for Inter Arma was mindblowing!
----
\m/ !!!!SUPPORT LOCAL METAL!!!! \m/
05.07.2010 - 01:09
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
Scorpions with Cinderella awesome show
05.07.2010 - 01:12
Herb
About a month ago - Behemoth, Anthrax, Megadeath, Slayer and closed off by Metallica. And yes they all played on the same day.
05.07.2010 - 05:25
Wyrd
I just saw Iron Maiden and Dream Theater last night, and it was fucking amazing. Though, I with dream theater played a little longer then they did.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
09.07.2010 - 22:33
Edmund Fogg
Written by Wyrd on 05.07.2010 at 05:25

I just saw Iron Maiden and Dream Theater last night, and it was fucking amazing. Though, I with dream theater played a little longer then they did.

I can't agree with you Maiden only played songs from their last 3 albums and they were not good plus they insulted Dio by playing Blood Brothers as a tribute...disgusting.Bruce was not as on fire as he used to be,he tumbled with words,couldn't keep a note and went hidding backstage most of the time.Dream in Montreal had a Power Outage right in the middle of the first song,at least that was funny
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
11.07.2010 - 09:33
Wyrd
Written by Edmund Fogg on 09.07.2010 at 22:33

I can't agree with you Maiden only played songs from their last 3 albums and they were not good plus they insulted Dio by playing Blood Brothers as a tribute...disgusting.Bruce was not as on fire as he used to be,he tumbled with words,couldn't keep a note and went hidding backstage most of the time.Dream in Montreal had a Power Outage right in the middle of the first song,at least that was funny

Well I'm sorry you did not have a good time at the concert. I guess it's better to sit at home and listen to Aces High all night while reminiscing about the good old days.
----
11.07.2010 - 14:05
Abattoir
Staff
I went to see Aerosmith last saturday in Venezia...I always want to see these legendary rockers, so this was my chance to see them, while they were appearing close to our country.

And of course concert was awesome with great performance of the band, setlist was also full of top hits, sound was acceptable...so generally there is not realy any bad things to mention about this show...well except of those mosquitoes which were quite annoying during the whole evening.
11.07.2010 - 14:40
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Abattoir on 11.07.2010 at 14:05

I went to see Aerosmith last saturday in Venezia...I always want to see these legendary rockers, so this was my chance to see them, while they were appearing close to our country.

And of course concert was awesome with great performance of the band, setlist was also full of top hits, sound was acceptable...so generally there is not realy any bad things to mention about this show...well except of those mosquitoes which were quite annoying during the whole evening.

Never thought of Aerosmith as a particularly great band. Influential, with good songs, but they seemed to me like poor mainstream rock in recent times. Not as bad as Bon Jovi though.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.07.2010 - 21:49
Edmund Fogg
Written by Wyrd on 11.07.2010 at 09:33

Well I'm sorry you did not have a good time at the concert. I guess it's better to sit at home and listen to Aces High all night while reminiscing about the good old days.

It's one thing to accept change,it's another to be blind to the fact that it wasn't the best Maiden show and qualify that as a Fucking Amazing show.Maybe because I wasn't on the ground level and couldn't get drunk because the beer was highly priced I saw Maiden from a different eye.And yes I'd rather stay at home and listen to good old Maiden then pay 80$ for a weak performance
----
12.07.2010 - 02:48
Wyrd
Written by Edmund Fogg on 11.07.2010 at 21:49

Written by Wyrd on 11.07.2010 at 09:33

It's one thing to accept change,it's another to be blind to the fact that it wasn't the best Maiden show and qualify that as a Fucking Amazing show.Maybe because I wasn't on the ground level and couldn't get drunk because the beer was highly priced I saw Maiden from a different eye.And yes I'd rather stay at home and listen to good old Maiden then pay 80$ for a weak performance

Their are 2 things wrong with that. One, I was in the 400 sections. Two, this was only my second Iron Maiden show, the last I saw was when I was 12. So to me the show was good. Maybe not the best Concert in the history of metal but good. Personally, I think it's better just to do your best to enjoy the concerts then to go home to your computer and sulk about how you hated it because they did not play your favorite song.
----
12.07.2010 - 10:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Drove down to Portland, OR for this show:

Disfigured
Really good performance, as expected. Their new vocalist is way more brutal and the guitarist is badass as well - playing all over the fretboard with his eyes closed the entire time. They played 4-5 new songs and they all sounded awesome. I talked to the band before they played and they're all really nice dudes.

Insidious Decrepancy
He played surprisingly impressive, especially for just being him on stage with a drum machine. He made crazy faces the entire time while playing, and the music synched up perfectly with the vocals, guitar, and bass. I also talked to Shawn before he played and got him to sign the CD I bought. He mainly played songs from the new CD, but he actually played a Viral Load song!
12.07.2010 - 22:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Best show I've been to in months:

Skeletonwitch
Jesuuuus. I really liked this band before, but this performance pushed it even further. They were really fucking intense live.

Russian Circles
Yaaaaaaawn. Not bad music to chill out, grab a drink and sit down while they're on. Definitely not what I came for though.

High On Fire
Really fucking awesome. Nothing much else to say other than that.
Got this High On Fire shirt:
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.07.2010 - 23:05
Pierre Tombale
Elite
Constants and Caspian in early may. Both are post rock bands.
Before that Ef and Long Distance Calling, post rock and post metal.
23.07.2010 - 02:16
@ Doc Godin:

That's one great shirt design there! Gotta get me one of those.

Last show: Fortid in Reykjavik at a tiny club a few weeks ago. Solid set, and some really cheap beer sweetened the deal even more. Whoever was in charge of spinning metal tracks on the PA in between the bands' sets had especially great taste that night, didn't expect to hear so many favorites.
25.07.2010 - 19:56
Edmund Fogg
Heavy MTL - The first day

Wow insane day that was yesterday.I don't even know where to start.Now that was money well spent.
----
12.08.2010 - 13:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
Sonisphere festival.

I first started off seeing Anthrax, they were really good just too bad that I haven't listened to them that much.
After that it was Slayer time! Slayer was Slayer, kicking ass. The mosh during "Raining Blood" sended chills down my spine, awesome with the rain during it, and the same went for when the audience was screaming the intro of "Angel of Death".
Then the real rain came. I've never been so wet in my entire life and I had mud all over myself.
Alice Cooper was good, impressed that he can still maintain a high standard. I was just pissed when he wore a Djurgården shirt.
Fuck Mötley Crüe, I wanted a good place at Maiden.
So they came. I haven't seen Maiden this good in five years! The first time I saw them was in '05, me and my friends first concert and also on our own in Gothenburg. So that will always be the best Iron Maiden show for me. But Sonisphere comes in close second. Loved the setlist and everything about them. No rain when they played.
The rain came back when the show was over. I came home freezing to my bones, mud and water everywhere, my leather wallet destroyed, my mobile phone destroyed and my knee all fucked up. But who cares? It was Metal!
----