Metal Storm logo
Electric Wizard

17.10.2007 - 00:51
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Electric Wizard are pretty well-known for a doom band, but still, they didn't have a thread on Metalstorm, so I decided to create it. I have two of their releases, Come My Fanatics, and Supercoven, and while I liked Supercoven from the minute I heard it, I found Come My Fanatics somewhat boring, until last night while listening to it with headphones something clicked and I realized how brilliant this album really is. If I love the dirty retro sound, nihilistic attitude and trippy atmosphere of these releases which album should I get next? And are they any good still now that only Oborn of the original lineup remains, or have they turned too "easy listening" ? And what are your general thoughts about this band?
17.10.2007 - 02:56
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 17.10.2007 at 00:51

Electric Wizard are pretty well-known for a doom band, but still, they didn't have a thread on Metalstorm, so I decided to create it. I have two of their releases, Come My Fanatics, and Supercoven, and while I liked Supercoven from the minute I heard it, I found Come My Fanatics somewhat boring, until last night while listening to it with headphones something clicked and I realized how brilliant this album really is. If I love the dirty retro sound, nihilistic attitude and trippy atmosphere of these releases which album should I get next? And are they any good still now that only Oborn of the original lineup remains, or have they turned too "easy listening" ? And what are your general thoughts about this band?

I am a fan indeed friend. I own their first two releases and I enjoy them quite a lot. What I have heard of everything is quite good, especially their latest 'We Live.' I just read they have a new album out soon. Very interesting. A great band all around.
----
The force will be with you, always.
17.10.2007 - 09:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont garee its prity known, IMO its undergraund band and never will like those 'top bands' but I like this band, so great stoner doom band, awsoem atmosfere, awsome feelings and lyrics, good band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.10.2007 - 19:57
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 17.10.2007 at 09:50

I dont garee its prity known, IMO its undergraund band and never will like those 'top bands' but I like this band, so great stoner doom band, awsoem atmosfere, awsome feelings and lyrics, good band

When I said well-known I meant well-known like Thergothon and Skepticism, not well-known like Paradise Lost and Anathema, I meant like not well known among mainstream metallers, but among people who are into doom and know their metal. Of course they're never going to be like those "top bands", as I can't imagine a 14 year old Lamb of God fan sitting through Come My Fanatics .
17.10.2007 - 20:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.10.2007 at 19:57

Written by Bad English on 17.10.2007 at 09:50

When I said well-known I meant well-known like Thergothon and Skepticism, not well-known like Paradise Lost and Anathema, I meant like not well known among mainstream metallers, but among people who are into doom and know their metal. Of course they're never going to be like those "top bands", as I can't imagine a 14 year old Lamb of God fan sitting through Come My Fanatics .

Hahah LoG fab hahhaha it makes my day such band sis not for doomesters and in that case thay are know band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.11.2007 - 11:42
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
I've listened to the new album about 5 times in a row now. I can safely say it'll be near or even at the top of my fave albums this year. It really is an absolute comeback of epic proportions after their last album's ambiguity. I can't recommend it enough.
15.11.2007 - 15:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 15.11.2007 at 11:42

I've listened to the new album about 5 times in a row now. I can safely say it'll be near or even at the top of my fave albums this year. It really is an absolute comeback of epic proportions after their last album's ambiguity. I can't recommend it enough.

It is okay but not a masterpiece at all IMO. It comes nowhere near their true masterpieces Dopethrone and Let Us Prey.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.11.2007 - 21:20
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.11.2007 at 15:43

Written by Guest on 15.11.2007 at 11:42

It is okay but not a masterpiece at all IMO. It comes nowhere near their true masterpieces Dopethrone and Let Us Prey.

I take it then you're sone of those people who regard Dopethrone a masterpiece? To be honest if you do then I doubt you'll ever really like this album for what it is. Personally I don't think it is and have never been overly fond of it, despite its obvious qualities.
27.11.2007 - 11:41
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
"Witchcult today" is nothing short of brilliant. It definitely belongs to my year's favourites. I rather wouldn't compare it with their earlier albums, sure, "Dopethrone" and "Let us prey" are also magnificent accomplishments, yet quite different. I don't know which is the best album, this question is quite pointless really because EW is among my favorite bands and they haven't failed yet to amaze me.
27.11.2007 - 22:08
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by John Barleycorn on 27.11.2007 at 11:41

"Witchcult today" is nothing short of brilliant. It definitely belongs to my year's favourites. I rather wouldn't compare it with their earlier albums, sure, "Dopethrone" and "Let us prey" are also magnificent accomplishments, yet quite different. I don't know which is the best album, this question is quite pointless really because EW is among my favorite bands and they haven't failed yet to amaze me.

In total agreement here. Witchcult Today is my definite Album Of The Year. The album is a more toned down version of previous EW, going more retro and more epic/traditional than anything they've done since their debut. I like the slightly warmer vibe that it has going on. Every album of theirs is totally different yet has the characteristic Electric Wizard stamp on them.

Hail The Wizard!
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
02.06.2010 - 06:15
Numbskull
"Hail The Wizard" is right!
I've been doing some mining for one of the heavyest bands ever and found this old thread. I love this bands stuff and have been on EW binge for about three weeks now. One thing I've notice when uTube'n, they don't have but one interview and its a recorded phone call. If anyone knows of some filmed interviews with band members, please let me know.
02.06.2010 - 06:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I love this band. Come My Fanatics... is my favorite, with Dopethrone being a close second. Witchcult Today was a great return to form and a really good album, but some of the songs stretch out a little too long.

Jus' vocals are perfect for their sound. There's nothing I like more than getting drunk at work and zoning out to them
02.06.2010 - 14:13
Numbskull
Written by Dangerboner on 02.06.2010 at 06:34

I love this band. Come My Fanatics... is my favorite, with Dopethrone being a close second. Witchcult Today was a great return to form and a really good album, but some of the songs stretch out a little too long.

Jus' vocals are perfect for their sound. There's nothing I like more than getting drunk at work and zoning out to them

It's good to read that someone else loves this band as I do. But, what kind of job do you have where you can get drunk and jam to some Wizard?
11.06.2010 - 19:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm seriously quenching for a follow up to Witchcult Today, I still can't quite believe how much that album blew me away. Hopefully they'll continue in that style. Don't suppose there's any news on new stuff?
12.06.2010 - 01:41
Numbskull
Written by Guest on 11.06.2010 at 19:50

I'm seriously quenching for a follow up to Witchcult Today, I still can't quite believe how much that album blew me away. Hopefully they'll continue in that style. Don't suppose there's any news on new stuff?

Yea, it is rather awesome. Hopefully, they will stick to the old school recording/production equipment. I know there was a promise of a new album in 2010. Beyond that I haven't heard.
25.08.2010 - 14:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Possible new album out pretty soon? They're having a few release party gigs for what I'm guessing is the new album 'Halloween Horrorthon'. Either way I can't wait to see them.
23.09.2010 - 21:35
Jötun
I've been a fan since the 1st record. Good band.
02.10.2010 - 06:21
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
New album scheduled for Nov. 1st release! I'm excited as hell. It's to be titled 'Black Masses'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Masses
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
02.10.2010 - 10:43
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by CrypticMyth on 02.10.2010 at 06:21

New album scheduled for Nov. 1st release! I'm excited as hell. It's to be titled 'Black Masses'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Masses

Woah, didn't see that one coming.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.10.2010 - 06:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I can't wait for the release of Black Masses. One of my expected albums of the year... I expect nothing less than something brilliant, like everything else this band has delivered.

I'll be for a while in London in november and december, it would be something fantastic to see this band live if I have the oportunity, because I lost hopes long ago of seeing them here in Chile.
22.10.2010 - 04:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This new Electric Wizard song is awesome

08.11.2010 - 12:51
SlaytanicGonzo
I've recently listened to Dopethrone and honestly, it bored me to death. Maybe it's because I haven't listened to much Doom yet? Though I really like Candlemass and old Sabbath. But on this album the vocals were too low on the mix and I don't like the guitar tone at all.
Should I give another album a try?
08.11.2010 - 13:29
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
@SlaytianicGonzo: The last two are probably a bit more accessible, especially Witchcult Today. I find all their albums to have a different character, actually, but I love them all. Only the first one is relatively uninteresting.
11.11.2010 - 15:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
My opinion of the new one is ever changing. I liked it, then I kinda had mixed feelings about it and now I seem to like it again. I'm not massively keen on the recorded-in-a-concrete-passageway vocals though, I find they obstruct the music a little. It's a great album anyway, the songs aren't quite as instantly gratifying as Witchcult. Ramesses' one is a better record though.
11.11.2010 - 15:20
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I am also not entirely sure about this album but I can still confidently assert that Scorpio Curse is an emblematic song.
11.11.2010 - 16:04
Mikyz
I'm still not able to properly get into Electric Wizard and the extremely muddy production on Black Masses isn't helping me at all. It's really hard to enjoy the music with this kind of production, I mean sure it's supposed to be part of its charm but it really isn't. :/
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
11.11.2010 - 16:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mikyz on 11.11.2010 at 16:04

I'm still not able to properly get into Electric Wizard and the extremely muddy production on Black Masses isn't helping me at all. It's really hard to enjoy the music with this kind of production, I mean sure it's supposed to be part of its charm but it really isn't. :/

Well my love for them is based entirely around Witchcult Today. I occasionally listen to the other albums but I can take them or leave them at the end of the day. The new one is sufficiently similar to Witchcult to have regular plays from me though.
11.11.2010 - 16:57
Mikyz
Written by Guest on 11.11.2010 at 16:23

Written by Mikyz on 11.11.2010 at 16:04

Well my love for them is based entirely around Witchcult Today. I occasionally listen to the other albums but I can take them or leave them at the end of the day. The new one is sufficiently similar to Witchcult to have regular plays from me though.

Black Masses definitely has good moments but it's really hard to properly grasp them with such a muddy production, it ruins their performance and lowers my tolerance for their music. I'm sure that with a decent production I might have enjoyed the experience significantly more, but if it works for you than enjoy it as much as you can.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
26.11.2010 - 02:52
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Black Masses is a dirty-sounding masterpiece.... their best after Dopethrone... and the muddy production helps a lot to create that sinister sound that makes it so great.
12.12.2010 - 04:32
Numbskull
Written by Guest on 26.11.2010 at 02:52

Black Masses is a dirty-sounding masterpiece.... their best after Dopethrone... and the muddy production helps a lot to create that sinister sound that makes it so great.

Yea, this is a good one that's for sure. I just can't get enough of the dirty fuzz doom metal.