Metal Storm logo
Anaal Nathrakh

Original post

Posted by mankvill, 07.11.2007 - 02:28
Can't believe there hasn't been a topic about one of metal's most extreme bands.

Discog:

Anaal Nathrakh (demo) - 1999
Total Fucking Necro (demo) - 1999
The Codex Necro - 2001
Total Fucking Necro (comp.) - 2002
When Fire Rains Down From The Sky, Mankind Will Reap As It Has Sown (EP) - 2003
Domine Non Es Dignus - 2004
Eschaton - 2006
Hell Is Empty And All The Devils Are Here - 2007

Personally, I think their newest offering, Hell Is Empty..., is their best album since The Codex Necro.
27.07.2009 - 17:44
Crast
Written by AnGina-- on 26.07.2009 at 16:04

Holy guacamole, I just listened to Domine Non es Dignus for the first time and this sh*t is awesome! So any recommendations which album should I listen next, cause I think it's pointless to lsiten to the whole discography at once. I'd like to know them better album by album.

I'd continue with Eschaton, and then the new one "In the Constellation of the Black Widow"

But you should listen to all of their albums, as they are pretty damn good!

.:crast:.
30.07.2009 - 10:27
Nexus
Asshat
Does anyone know if they're gonna return for the dates they were initially supposed to do about a year ago?
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
30.07.2009 - 13:28
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by AnGina-- on 26.07.2009 at 16:04

Holy guacamole, I just listened to Domine Non es Dignus for the first time and this sh*t is awesome! So any recommendations which album should I listen next, cause I think it's pointless to lsiten to the whole discography at once. I'd like to know them better album by album.

I'd go for The Codex Necro, which is their most intense album, and Hell Is Empty... because it kind of gathers elements from all their discography. It's certainly their catchiest as well.
30.07.2009 - 22:49
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Tnx dudes, I'll definately try them out. I really don't wanna just go over the whole discography at once, cause then I'm rather confused. I like to get to know each album at once.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
13.10.2009 - 19:52
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
After a couple months of listening to the two Frost albums, then getting the Mistress album "Glory Bitches Of Doghead", followed up by Fukpig's release "Spewings From A Selfish Nation" I decided to finally check out Anaal Nathrakh.

I had for some reason avoided these guys, some thing about the name threw me off, I suppose that I was being an ignorant, close minded fuck and figured it was some boring death metal band but, after hearing Mick Kenney's work on other releases I figured I'd see what Anaal was all about. So far, it's pretty fucking goddamn good!!! I'm just checking out the earlier releases since I started off with the two newest, the older stuff does seem a bit better, more BM and less deathcore like. That's the one thing about Anaal that throws me off a bit, at least when it comes to the last two releases, the clean vocals bother me a bit but, the music itself is great.

Aside all that, Anaal Nathrakh is becoming an addiction, great music. England is starting to step up the latter on extreme music and it's about time too, before CoF further wrecks the name of the UK music "scene".
14.10.2009 - 07:20
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
I like this band but I really like it to refer to them as Anal Nutsack
14.10.2009 - 10:45
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Guest on 14.10.2009 at 07:20

I like this band but I really like it to refer to them as Anal Nutsack

I did a google search and was surprised that such a band doesn't exist, especially with the bands Anal Cunt and Anal Blast in mind.
14.10.2009 - 11:03
FOOCK Nam
The 2009 ones is awesome, this band every moving goes better in each of its own.
15.10.2009 - 21:55
InfernoxDeath
After listening to "In The Constellation of the Black Widow", i find it hard to swallow in their earlier albums. Doesn't exactly appeal to me.
A friend of mine said, "Perhaps their new album will be the beginning of "blackcore"....
16.10.2009 - 10:04
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by InfernoxDeath on 15.10.2009 at 21:55

After listening to "In The Constellation of the Black Widow", i find it hard to swallow in their earlier albums. Doesn't exactly appeal to me.
A friend of mine said, "Perhaps their new album will be the beginning of "blackcore"....

Fuck... you're friend might be on to something, something bad! It's terrible enough that we have these shitty deathcore bands popping out of no where, so I hope the "core" infliction does affect black metal, but I can see this happening when comparing the drastic sound differances of the last two Anaal albums to the first few, and even though I'm brand new to this band, I will say that their first three albums were black metal, whereas the rest seemed to change dramatically in sound. Still talented work though, it's just those damn clean vocals on the last two releases...
16.10.2009 - 18:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I fail to see anything wrong with the clean vocals... They don't remain me of Metalcore or deathcore at all.

I see Grindcore in their music, but not hardcore.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.10.2009 - 18:33
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I think there definitely is some sort of hardcore influence, seeing as grind evolved from hardcore punk, but I agree with you, the clean vocals are great, and there is nothing in common with this band and metalcore or deathcore imo.

Hard to say what my favourite is, but I really like the Codex Necro and Eschaton. This band hasn't really made a lackluster album in my opinion.
16.10.2009 - 19:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by spirit_inblack on 16.10.2009 at 18:33

I think there definitely is some sort of hardcore influence, seeing as grind evolved from hardcore punk,

Aye, I guess I didn't make myself very clear. You're right, Grindcore evolved from Hardcore, punk and so on. And Anaal Nathrakh might sound hardcorish... but that's only because of the heavy Grind influenced going on. At least that's my opinion
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.10.2009 - 21:55
FOOCK Nam
I cant say I find any hardcore or not, but if grindcore, exactly in Eschaton. But in "Hell is Empty,...", the after Eschaton, I feel their music is more sophisticated even in both vocals and instrumentals using, and recently now I realize that the vocal varies more in "Hell is Empty,..". The 2009 ones has still the variety in vocal and the dynamic of music. The thing I like about this band is they have the epic element musically but not by using keyboard or "romantic epic" as common epic-element music metal bands other I have known IMO. I dont want to say their music is beautiful, actually very solid. Anger element mostly I find in Eschaton, IMO.
17.10.2009 - 00:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by FOOCK Nam on 16.10.2009 at 21:55

The thing I like about this band is they have the epic element musically but not by using keyboard or "romantic epic"

I agree, it's always nice to hear a band that sounds atmospheric/epic but without the need of the keyboard. Some bands like to overuse that. :
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.10.2009 - 05:44
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
All Hail Anal Nutsack...but seriously...they rule.
18.10.2009 - 11:31
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Damn you stephen, the first time I read your post I thought it just said "Anaal Nathrakh" not Anal Nutsack :p one day I'm going to fuck up and write the band name wrong lol.

The clean vocals on the last what, two albums(?) don't bother any of you guys? One of my favourite tracks is "The Final Absolution", the first minute and twelve seconds is just fucking great, the deep grunts to higher pitched agonizing vocals, to strategic palm muting and accented riffs matched with precise kicks and blast beats is a great dynamic, the track itself is all over the place but flows so damn well. It's just the change of tempo and introduction of clean vocals at 1:13 which wreck it for me, it's a continuous theme throughout both the track and entire album. Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't bother me of dare I say...the late 90's/early 21st Century nu-metal and New-American Metal/modern deathcore......no disrespect to Anaal but, I just can't get past this. I'm not saying it is on par with that emberassing past of metal that we all loathe to admit existed, or even listened to at one point, but it gets to me. I've also noticed that on at least "In The Costellation Of The Black Widow" that when the clean vocals are being performed, on a lessor volume level there are higher pitched, new wave british heavy metal style vocals going on..it's intersting.

I don't like to pick apart this band because, it's obvious that there is an immense amount of talent in all their albums, I think Dave Hunt is a great vocalist but, I'm not huge on grindcore/death style grunts, his shrieks are very despairing and well excecuted though. Mick Kenney is a hell of a musician, although he's increidibly versitile, he does strike me as more of a drummer..especially to be able to pull of the intricate style of drumming he has, coupled with double bass that rivals both Frost (Satyricon) and some more famous mainstream drummers.
18.10.2009 - 11:44
FOOCK Nam
@Bitter Dawn: from the clean vocal in the 2009 one, I feel like it is very epic and mettle of Asian medievel warriors, some of it I feel like the melody (of the clean vocal) is similar to fast/agressive tradition Chinese songs in MARTIAL ART movie...anyways, it is very intereting. I am not fan of grindcore grunts either too, but I really like the vocal style of Dave, about Mick, hes talented, wonder a thing how he can write all musical instrumentals like that, double bass, riff, etc..very.
18.10.2009 - 14:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Bitter Dawn on 18.10.2009 at 11:31

Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't bother me of dare I say...the late 90's/early 21st Century nu-metal and New-American Metal/modern deathcore......

I really can't understand how those vocals sound Deathcore and even Nü Metal. They havea very operatic sound and I've never heard those vocals in those two genres. Never.

Even you said Power Metal then I would maybe understand since it's like the feeling is supposed to be epic and all. But Nü Metal and deathcore isn't about epicness... Everyone to each own I guess
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.10.2009 - 19:16
FOOCK Nam
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.10.2009 at 14:30

Written by Bitter Dawn on 18.10.2009 at 11:31

Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't bother me of dare I say...the late 90's/early 21st Century nu-metal and New-American Metal/modern deathcore......

I really can't understand how those vocals sound Deathcore and even Nü Metal. They havea very operatic sound and I've never heard those vocals in those two genres. Never.

Even you said Power Metal then I would maybe understand since it's like the feeling is supposed to be epic and all. But Nü Metal and deathcore isn't about epicness... Everyone to each own I guess

Well, based on similarity, deathcore vocals can be somewhat similar to Anaal Nathrakh but probably not good as both emotion skills and feelings as Anaal Nathrakh if considering deathcore bands I listened.

Everyone to each OWN, .
27.10.2009 - 01:12
Seen them twice in Glasgow and both times were absolute fucking pandemonium. Top 5 live bands for sure.
16.01.2010 - 02:02
spirit_inblack
harshhead
It would be amazing to witness their live energy for sure. I love everything by this band, just so full of power, and great vocals. Vitriol does a really great, diverse job behind the mic. Favorite album is either Domine es Dignus or Eschaton. The clean vocals were a really great addition.

They are really unique, and there's only one band I've ever heard that sounds like that and them is De Magia Veterum, a one-man band from the same guy that does Gnaw Their Tongues. So.. check it out. http://www.myspace.com/demagiaveterum
20.01.2010 - 17:53
SerratedSyringe
Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 27.10.2009 at 01:12

Seen them twice in Glasgow and both times were absolute fucking pandemonium. Top 5 live bands for sure.

I would kill to see them live ONCE.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
21.01.2010 - 23:21
I would like to tell you that I will be seeing them in Glasgow again in 3 weeks.
22.01.2010 - 01:18
SerratedSyringe
Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 21.01.2010 at 23:21

I would like to tell you that I will be seeing them in Glasgow again in 3 weeks.

Go die.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
24.01.2010 - 03:10
mankvill
If anyone could get a setlist from their tour with Marduk, that'd be awesome.

They used to have an official forum, but the forum is fucked up and no one can log in, so I haven't talked to the band in quite some time.
08.02.2010 - 22:18
In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
The Lucifer Effect
More of Fire Than Blood
The Final Absolution
The Destroying Angel
When the Lion Devours Both Dragon and Child
Submission Is for the Weak
Between Shit and Piss We Are Born
------------------------------------------
Do Not Speak
Pandemonic Hyperblast

...ish. The basic core of songs is there but I can't remember the order they were played in apart from the last two. They might have played one or two more, and I'm not too sure about Shit and Piss, and they did play an extra track or two in Glasgow because they absolutely love playing here (The other two supports cut their sets short so Nathrakh could play another song).

It's pretty similar to the one they've been doing ever since they released ITCOTBW though. They may have played changed a song or two about before the Marduk tour but, yeah, that's ROUGHLY it.

To be honest, it's not about the songs with Nathrakh. They could play Journey covers and it would still wipe the floor with every other band ever. It's all about the crowd getting behind it. Well, it is in Glasgow anyway. Every time they come, we just have an utter (Pandemonic Hyper)blast. They don't even need to play a note, and it'd still be bedlam.
09.02.2010 - 05:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by mankvill on 24.01.2010 at 03:10

If anyone could get a setlist from their tour with Marduk, that'd be awesome.

They used to have an official forum, but the forum is fucked up and no one can log in, so I haven't talked to the band in quite some time.

Baz commented on his Marduk/Anaal Nathrakh concert review with the set list. It's on the front page, lol.
10.02.2010 - 02:40
mankvill
I saw it! It's a pretty good setlist.
08.05.2010 - 02:18
The Turbanator
Their last 2 releases are mindfucking. Totally crazy albums. Talented too on top of it. I really recommend the latest 2 releases.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!