04. Madrigal
05. The Amen Corner
06. Demon Of The Fall
07. Credence
08. Karma
09. Epilogue
10. Circle Of The Tyrants [Celtic Frost cover] [2000/2003 re-release bonus]
11. Remember Tomorrow [Iron Maiden cover] [2000/2003 re-release bonus]

Opeth. That's already a guarantee for a splendid musical opus! With such geniuses on guitars - Mikael Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgren - Opeth create in their third album powerful and dazzling death metal music. But it would be unfair to attribute Opeth's music to death metal. In fact, anyone who tries to classify Opeth in a particular metal style, ends up with a headache. That's almost impossible to do that. One of the important points is that acoustic parts are so incredible that each song is worth any other 'pure death' album. As a result, you don't need to be interested in death metal to enjoy Opeth [I'm not particulary fond of death metal however that band is now one of my favorite!]. My Arms, Your Hearse is actually Opeth's first album with the current line-up, including new drummer Martin Lopez and new bass player Martin Mendez. This release is a great musical step for the band as the recording is clearly better than on Orchid and Morningrise. Huge work done by the band, of course, but also by Fredman studios and Fredrik Nordstrom. Good job dudes!

If we try to catch the essence of My Arms, Your Hearse, the synthesis is hard to believe: every song is a must! After the usual intro 'Prologue', you directly enter in Opeth's musical madness with the outstanding 'April Ethereal'. One of these pieces of metal you'll never forget. Rage but beauty, anger but elegance... Sincerely the first time I listen to that song [it was also the first time I was listening to Opeth] I thought that I was dreaming because that was exactly the music I've always wanted to hear one day. And... No, I wasn't dreaming but I was listening to these guys! Anyway, track 3: 'When'. Ok, I'm out of words here... Just love that song or die. All that you can imagine is in that song. I think that it's one of the most complete songs they've ever done. 'The Amen Corner' with its superb beginning, which is unequalled so far. The violence of 'Demon of the Fall', the beauty of 'Credence', the captivating 'Karma' and My Arms, Your Hearse ends with the traditional outro 'Epilogue'. A trip to heaven, that's what this album is. No more, no less.

If the album Blackwater Park remains as Opeth's masterpiece so far [waiting for Deliverance!], My Arms, Your Hearse also deserves the maximal rating. I personally think that this record is equal to Blackwater Park. You want me to conclude? Well, every metalhead on earth MUST have this album. If you're tired of your standards or if you just want to discover new horizons in the metal world, or simply if you don't want to miss the best band for its creativity, listen to Opeth. You won't regret it. Listening to My Arms, Your Hearse, I can say that perfection has now a name: Opeth.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written on 18.09.2003 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 280 users
09.11.2007 - 01:24
O p e t h
Account deleted
the first song ended with the title of the next one and then happen again with the continue track till the end.
why is this happen?
14.02.2008 - 16:26
Rating: 10
because akerfeldt is the greatest!
14.02.2008 - 17:14
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I don't know wich album is better... Morningrise or My Arms Your Hearse...

Both are awesome... completely flawless.
"April Ethereal" and "Nectar" from the Morningrise are my favorites songs of Opeth....

And the acustic guitarrs in Demon of The Fall are just... a crazy experience... so fast as hell can be.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.02.2008 - 00:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Well its just one of those brilliant albums you sometimes are lucky enough to find out about. And then you listen to it and its overwhelming. And everything seems to be getting better and better. And then its over and you want to listen to it again because you cant believe something can be that good. Even the title of the album "my arms, your hearse" its magical. Its Opeth.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.02.2008 - 14:08
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 16.02.2008 at 00:04

Well its just one of those brilliant albums you sometimes are lucky enough to find out about. And then you listen to it and its overwhelming. And everything seems to be getting better and better. And then its over and you want to listen to it again because you cant believe something can be that good. Even the title of the album "my arms, your hearse" its magical. Its Opeth.

I have the same feeling... Every time that I don't know what kind of music I want to hear.. I just pick My arms Your hearse and I'm like "Meh... ok... I'm going to listen to this album again..."
And then.. something is changed... the entire albums seems fresh.. over and over again.
I can repeat the last 2 minutes of the song April Etheral so many times without being boring... I just love that song... And the way Mikael scream :
She laughing and weeping at once: "take me away".

It sounds just... sad
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.02.2008 - 17:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.02.2008 at 14:08

Written by BloodTears on 16.02.2008 at 00:04

I have the same feeling... Every time that I don't know what kind of music I want to hear.. I just pick My arms Your hearse and I'm like "Meh... ok... I'm going to listen to this album again..."
And then.. something is changed... the entire albums seems fresh.. over and over again.
I can repeat the last 2 minutes of the song April Etheral so many times without being boring... I just love that song... And the way Mikael scream :
She laughing and weeping at once: "take me away".

It sounds just... sad

Nothing wrong with that. Its what music does to us. It feeds us, or at least it feeds me. I need it.
----

My Instagram
26.02.2009 - 16:32
taha_69
Another Fantastic album by the legendary Opeth. I love the song " April Ethereal", I cant get enough of it.

Opeth are one of the few bands that can make a 13 minute song and not bore you, but make you say to yourself "That was epic!".

The artwork on this album, aswell as the others is really interesting, in a good way.
08.06.2009 - 09:47
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
you directly enter in Opeth's musical madness with the outstanding 'April Ethereal'

Damn, that is an excellent song, got addicted in it. ''The amen corner'' is also great''.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.07.2009 - 14:23
Solstafir!
The songwriting in this album is simply PHENOMENAL...I mean, just listen to APRIL ETHEREAL...brings chills down my spines...
In my opinion this is lyrically their best album...
And i really miss Martin Lopez's drum playing...awesome stuff!
17.07.2009 - 16:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Solstafir! on 17.07.2009 at 14:23

The songwriting in this album is simply PHENOMENAL...I mean, just listen to APRIL ETHEREAL...brings chills down my spines...
In my opinion this is lyrically their best album...
And i really miss Martin Lopez's drum playing...awesome stuff!

I think I would agree with about on the lyrical aspect. I think we have some of the best Opeth lyrics in MAYH. Very mature and meaningful. Not that the other lyrics aren't memorable but these are particularly polished.
----

My Instagram
29.07.2009 - 15:47
Rating: 9
Panterica
My Armes Yor Hearse is one of my favorite albums, I just can't get Demon of the Fall and Karma out of my head, and I'm not entirely sure I want to...
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
14.11.2009 - 10:02
Also, the concept is extremely good.

MAYH has an odd atmospheric tone that is very unique IMO... in a good way, of course. Perhaps it is the slight echo in the music, as if they recorded the album in a large room. Does anybody else notice this?
21.02.2011 - 19:17
BlankFile
Another pure genius Opeth release! I love April Ethereal! I mean at this point every fan of this band knew exactly that these guys couldn´t make a bad album. Its impossible.

Hits total: 17039 | This month: 35