Rob Halford - vocals
Glenn Tipton - guitars
Richie Faulkner - guitars
Scott Travis - drums
Ian Hill - bass

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Invincible Shield is to Firepower what Defenders Of The Faith was to Screaming For Vengeance: reaffirmation of the recovery, capitalization on the success, the follow-through on a trailblazer. Judas Priest, as ever, delivering the greats.

Read more ››
published 16.04.2024 | Comments (12)

A band with absolutely nothing to prove to anyone releases one of the best albums in their incredible career, 50 whole years after their debut. Next time someone tells you that you should lower your expectations and just be grateful when a legacy band puts out new music, even when that music is objectively subpar/shite, slap them in the face with this album.

Invincible Judas Priest.

nikarg's picks | More picks ››

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 70   Visited by: 861 users
10.03.2024 - 11:59
Rating: 9
ChrisWinther94
I'm quite split on which album I like the most. Invincible Shield or Firepower. Firepower came out of nowhere, and I came in with other expectations while listening to Invincible Shield. All feelings aside, I really consider Invincible Shield amazing. The songwriting is just as great as it was on Firepower, the riffs are killer, but most of all Rob's vocal performance is really fucking amazing. His performance is really impressive, and imo better than on Firepower.

At the first 4 listens, I would rate this an 8,4 but by now I would raise it to a 8,5. I'll round up and give it a 9. An impressive and great final stand from the mighty Priest!

Top Releases of 2024
10.03.2024 - 16:47
Caio
Not as strong as Firepower but still a very solid album. Love the production on both of them.
10.03.2024 - 17:51
CygnusX187
Yeah, this slaps.
11.03.2024 - 15:17
Rating: 6
majormalfunction
While the band sounds vital and gives a great performance this album does very little for me. It's not bad but barely anything stands out either.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
12.03.2024 - 05:22
Rating: 7
sbgmetal
A lot more filler then Firepower, tbh I prefer KKs latest to this one
13.03.2024 - 02:45
ScottyM
50 freaking years, 19 albums, and they still sound this good! I mean, if any band has signed a deal with the devil, of course it would have to be a band called Judas Priest. What a banger!
13.03.2024 - 07:06
Rating: 8
AIeditor059
Rob can still scream like that, unbelievable
13.03.2024 - 16:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Maybe it has no classic riffs, classic lyric parts, classics letter videos and even classic line up, but Priest are Priest, and no matter there something what you enjoy in their new albums, I enjoy it.
Ozzy boy wanna say goodbye to their fans in Villa Park , Priest when retires maybe should play in St Andrew's Park. (No Richie not in White Hart Lane).

But guys wanna hear a truth , even its not real derby but same time in metal we have no rivery I like KK Priest 2 albums better as this.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.03.2024 - 02:12
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Nice staff pick, Nik!
14.03.2024 - 04:13
RoyBoy432
Dr. Quark
Written by F3ynman2000 on 14.03.2024 at 02:12

Nice staff pick, Nik!

Agreed. Awesome writeup. Judas Priest 50 years in and still burning brighter than a thousand suns.
14.03.2024 - 21:53
Baz Anderson
Staff
Judas Priest have been one of my favourite bands for many years now (if not favourite...) - and for me, this is absolutely their best album since Painkiller. It is so quintessentially Judas Priest - it has energy... it hits hard, but it's also memorable and has songs that don't leave your head. The first four tracks especially are all top notch and brilliant in their own different ways. Fantastic album!
16.03.2024 - 03:00
The Galactician
I sincerely don’t know how they keep putting out solid releases after all these years. Even more impressive is Halford’s voice. The dude is 72 years old and sounds like he’s still in his twenties.
16.03.2024 - 14:44
Zap
I can't say I care overly much for this or its predecessor but I just have to agree that the band and especially Rob sound great here, especially compared to other older* bands.

*not to be the Iron Maiden hater that I usually am but this stomps all over anything those chaps have released in the past 30 years.
18.03.2024 - 00:35
Rating: 10
Nicko's Nose
MAKE THE RATING GREEN AGAIN!1
18.03.2024 - 00:48
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Zap on 16.03.2024 at 14:44

*not to be the Iron Maiden hater that I usually am but this stomps all over anything those chaps have released in the past 30 years.

Agree to disagree. This album has nothing on Brave New World.
18.03.2024 - 17:23
Nightmare^
50 years career. Halford is 72. Yet the quality of this album outshines all of what other "big bands" put out. The same holds for their previous efforts the last decades.

Yes, it's not genre defining or the "best metal album ever" but it is amazing nonetheless.
----
18.03.2024 - 17:30
Nightmare^
Written by Nejde on 18.03.2024 at 00:48

Brave New World is indeed an outstanding album, but after that it's all just mediocre recycling of old riffs and ideas. Making longer songs and trying to be "proggressive" with their sound doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

Don't take me wrong, I love Iron Maiden and their music but they have been musically boring the last 20 years. Judas Priest on the other hand, while they don't necessarily produce something "new" musically, still feel they have the same punch and freshness they had 30 years ago.
----
18.03.2024 - 17:55
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Nightmare^ on 18.03.2024 at 17:30

Written by Nejde on 18.03.2024 at 00:48

Brave New World is indeed an outstanding album, but after that it's all just mediocre recycling of old riffs and ideas. Making longer songs and trying to be "proggressive" with their sound doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

Don't take me wrong, I love Iron Maiden and their music but they have been musically boring the last 20 years. Judas Priest on the other hand, while they don't necessarily produce something "new" musically, still feel they have the same punch and freshness they had 30 years ago.

I agree there, mostly, because I like Dance Of Death but yeah most of Maiden in the past 20 years is boring as fuck. Though, they give an outstanding live performance still to this day, one of the best veteran band to see live tbh.

Also something that grinds my gear is how the fuck dares this community of awesome people rate Brave New World higher than Killers. This is completely blasphemous.

Anyways, that latest Judas Priest annihilates the past 4 Maiden albums. No contest.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
18.03.2024 - 18:13
nonZero
Metallica take notes, this is how you age gracefully!
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
18.03.2024 - 19:46
Tom Muller
Very strong album after 5 decades of metal making. Right now my favorite post painkiller era
----
Can you see it
18.03.2024 - 20:31
Polaria
What a stunning performance.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
18.03.2024 - 20:49
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This has no business ripping as hard as it does.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.03.2024 - 07:01
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
This is a top quality album, very consistent and a fantastic performance as usual, I'd even say this is on par with Firepower.
20.03.2024 - 08:39
JoHn Doe
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.03.2024 at 20:49

This has no business ripping as hard as it does.

I know you mean this in a positive way, but it still sounds like you are disapproving of what they did.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
20.03.2024 - 14:33
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

Why compare the music of these 2 bands anyway? When IM debuted, JP released their 6th album, so it's not even the same generation. The music both bands play is quite different within the genre they both represent, the singers are not very much alike either.
20.03.2024 - 14:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Daniell on 20.03.2024 at 14:33

Why compare the music of these 2 bands anyway? When IM debuted, JP released their 6th album, so it's not even the same generation. The music both bands play is quite different within the genre they both represent, the singers are not very much alike either.

#1 and #2 most popular heavy metal bands I suppose?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.03.2024 - 19:26
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Daniell on 20.03.2024 at 14:33

The comparison is not that weird to me honestly. Not that it really matters to compare them but what other band with such an extansive career, catalogue, massive success, still kicking it after 40+ years doing trad heavy metal can we truly compare JP to if not Iron Maiden?
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.03.2024 - 06:01
Rating: 5
Very safe, uninspired music. Cookie cutter type of stuff. It’s not bad but there’s nothing you haven’t heard before.
23.03.2024 - 11:31
JoHn Doe
Written by nonZero on 18.03.2024 at 18:13

why pick on Metallica out of the blue?!
Also, for me Metallica have redeemed themselves with the last two albums.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
24.03.2024 - 07:36
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by JoHn Doe on 23.03.2024 at 11:31

Written by nonZero on 18.03.2024 at 18:13

why pick on Metallica out of the blue?!
Also, for me Metallica have redeemed themselves with the last two albums.

Because the last two Judas Priest albums are insanely better than the last two Metallica albums
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 17429 | This month: 362