Metal Storm logo
Requesting: Melodic Death Metal

Original post

Posted by BurbotsRevenge, 15.11.2007 - 08:42
so basically im currently in this phase of melodeath, and in particular, lesser known bands. some of the bands im currently listening to include; Callenish Circle, Blood Stain Child, Gates of Ishtar, Arsis, The Absence, Nightrage etc...

so if anyone knows of any lesser known, and good (key word: good) melodeath, would they please post them, giving a description why they like them, whats different about them etc...

post away
17.11.2007 - 11:56
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Guest on 17.11.2007 at 11:53

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2007 at 11:25

I really don't understand what you mean by this since melodic DEATH METAL is a form of death metal, just as technical death metal & brutal death metal are suibgenres of death metal.

What if he doesn't like the brutality of "straight" Death Metal? I know some people who like Melodic Death but don't like Death Metal. I was like that mylsef, some years ago. It's as simple as that.

i thinks it a valid question from Queen of Hippies, because I myself, am a huge fan of melodeath, but im not a great fan of 'straight' death metal as such, its not too bad, but i dont go crazy about it... at least not yet...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
17.11.2007 - 13:23
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Some recommendations:

Cypher are more of a death/thrash band, but as you like Callenish Circle I'm sure you'll like these Dutchies as well.

I don't know whether Withered Beauty will be to your liking, they are more like a melodic form of Belphegor at times. Their stuff will probably be quite hard to come by as they've only released one album in 1998, via Nuclear Blast after all, but apparently it wasn't successful enough to ensure the band's existence.

Gardenian are another ex-Nuclear Blast band that released its last album in 2000 and a pretty underrated band from the Gothenburg scene. You might notice that at times they sound astoundingly modern despite of having released the last material seven years ago.

Also very good are the Austrians of In Slumber who've been on tour with Disbelief and Graveworm earlier this year. Their newest album is a more than decent work of melodic death metal.

I guess you know Insomnium already. If you don't, then go and grab their latest album at an instant! They play brilliantly melancholic melodeath, not the stuff you'd listen to for some moshing around though.

Insomnium's Finnish countrymates Noumena take the same line: melancholic melodeath, a bit more playful, not as mature and intricate as Insomnium though, but quite decent nonetheless.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
17.11.2007 - 13:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
because Promo mentioned Cypher their label mates Obsidian sprung to mind. Not tu;y melodic death metal either but has loads of melodies and at times a bit reminiscent of Cynic
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2007 - 20:01
Opium
Account deleted

I really don't understand what you mean by this since melodic DEATH METAL is a form of death metal, just as technical death metal & brutal death metal are suibgenres of death metal.

What if he doesn't like the brutality of "straight" Death Metal? I know some people who like Melodic Death but don't like Death Metal. I was like that myself, some years ago. It's as simple as that.

EDIT: It'd be understandable if he liked Eucharist and not Deicide. That's just an example. I don't know if he does or not.

Agreed, there are certain extremes in Death Metal and its subgenres, so recommending straight Death Metal isn't the best idea here.

Another band to recommend: Sceptic. They're slightly aggressive and there's touches of industrial (very seldom will you notice though).
18.11.2007 - 18:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 17.11.2007 at 20:01

What if he doesn't like the brutality of "straight" Death Metal? I know some people who like Melodic Death but don't like Death Metal. I was like that myself, some years ago. It's as simple as that.

EDIT: It'd be understandable if he liked Eucharist and not Deicide. That's just an example. I don't know if he does or not.

Agreed, there are certain extremes in Death Metal and its subgenres, so recommending straight Death Metal isn't the best idea here.

But Demigod isn't straight Death Metal, they are one of the very first MELODIC death metal bands, but with roots in death metal instead of thrash or Iron Maiden. Totally different sort of melodic death metal than what people consider melodic death nowadays (which has nothing to do with death metal at all, and should therefore be renamed in some sort of way)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2007 - 22:31
BlackMin
Account deleted
Try out Quo Vadis, a canadian "technical" death metal band, yet with alot melodics.
19.11.2007 - 00:19
ylside
Staff
Oh also check this , I feel like you'll love it :
http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=6861

And please tell me what you think of Garden of Shadows once you hear them, especially the Oracle Moon album.
19.11.2007 - 00:52
selken
Irreligious
Well dude, I recommend you Unanimated, I discovered this band last week in the site's news, I asked for a description of the band, and I decide to try it.
The sound is actually very different than the modern melodeath, their sound is like death with some melodic elements similar to those of Dissection (another recommend, if you don't know them), but without the atmospheric sound.
I don't know if these guys are real melodic death, but I recommend you Centinex a swedish death band that uses keyboard for atmospheric sound.
----
19.11.2007 - 10:42
ylside
Staff
Written by selken on 19.11.2007 at 00:52

their sound is like death with some melodic elements

You've hit the nail on the head haha, that's all there should be! Indeed Unanimated are among the best at it. Centinex are good but also quite generic if you ask me..
19.11.2007 - 10:53
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by ylside on 19.11.2007 at 00:19

And please tell me what you think of Garden of Shadows once you hear them, especially the Oracle Moon album.

yeh, i dont mind garden of shadows, they add a prgressive edge to their songs IMO, which adds to the depth of their music. oracle moon is a really good album, filled with 8-9min epics and i absolutely love citadel of dreams - they also incorporate a deeper growl than the typical meldoeath/gothenberg styles, which IMO would maybe be better if it wasnt as deep as it is... maybe...
but, yeh, overall, they are quite good, but i think itll take a couple of more listens to truly appreciate it
----
23.11.2007 - 22:41
Existenzangst
Account deleted
I second the Eucharist recommendation, both of their albums, especially the first one, are real classics of this genre, love that "Greeting Immortality" riffing. I highly recommend Unanimated, both albums released by them so far, great news that they are back together after all these years! Then, of course, At The Gates' debut album "The Red in The Sky Is Ours" if you didn't listen to it yet. And last but not least, The Book of Truth by Ceremonial Oath.
23.11.2007 - 23:05
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I would recommend that you check out these bands:
Mors Principium Est- these guys are amazing, their two latest albums are great.
Imperanon- They are kinda like old COB, but personally, I think they are better, especially for their first and only album being as good as it is.
Suidakra- A German melodic death band with celtic folk elements, really fun.
24.11.2007 - 03:18
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
@bluemob yeh, i know of all those bands, and i really love imperanon and mors principum est, both awesome melodeath bands

heres some more:

Zero Degrees Freedom: a melodeath abdn from my country, australia, that are quite good, i uploaded one of their tracks in the mp3 sampler, hasnt been accepted yet, but check it out when it does, good song

naildown: a band i found recently, their debut album, world domniation, is a really awesome melodeath album

a couple more that i dont know much about, but ahve some of their stuff (not sure how :no idea: ): enforsaken, extol

metal forever
----
24.11.2007 - 22:55
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Also some lesser known bands I really enjoy are:
Kna'an- A melodic death metal band from Israel
Disarmonia Mundi- from Italy, have some pretty sweet stuff
Nebucadnezzer- Canadian band, pretty awesome
Elenium- from Finland
Universum- being from Australia, you may have heard of these guys.
SOLERRAIN- from Russia, definitely check this one out
17.02.2008 - 16:56
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I have one more! Actually, a friend of mine sent me a song of these guys last year, but i couldn't found anything from them. Finally, i got their first and only album so far. Senate, is the name of the band and they are from Canada. They released "The Great Northern Scene Kill" in 2006 and it's an excellent album, i assure you!

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/senatemetal
17.02.2008 - 17:42
FOOCK Nam
Destinity is very good one. Chech out
18.02.2008 - 05:53
m3t4lh34d
If you haven't already, listen to Dawn Of Tears.

They released their debut in 2007. They are self financed. It is the best melodic death metal debut I have ever heard, and it's free for download on their website.

I would list in detail why they are so amazing, but just download it.
18.02.2008 - 07:34
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
^ yeh i already have that - good album too

does anyone know any bands similar to garden of shadows and Be'lakor?? im loving these two bands at the moment...
----
18.02.2008 - 11:27
ylside
Staff
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 18.02.2008 at 07:34

^ yeh i already have that - good album too

does anyone know any bands similar to garden of shadows and Be'lakor?? im loving these two bands at the moment...

..Maybe a band called Dawn of Dreams will do.
18.02.2008 - 12:02
Fuath
dissections reinkaos is a melodic black,
and is quite awesome
burden of grief: pretty good, did an almost amazing cover of master of puppets
imperanon: very similar to COB, but id have to say much better
Norther: once again similar to COB, but id say just as good
eternal tears of sorrow: have some ok riffs
the fifth son: are pretty good, i dunno why

hope this helps in some way dude
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

18.02.2008 - 15:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Fuath on 18.02.2008 at 12:02

SImilar to CoB means that it is NOT melodic death metal, since CoB have nothing to do with Melodic death metal whatsoever
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.02.2008 - 07:41
Miro
Vespers Descent-pretty unknown melo death band(from Australia).Maybe you heard of them.

Dark Lunacy-melo death band from Italy
19.02.2008 - 08:33
Fuath
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.02.2008 at 15:26

SImilar to CoB means that it is NOT melodic death metal, since CoB have nothing to do with Melodic death metal whatsoever

reallly?
you wouldnt consider them melo death
wow
how many other people dont think they are too?

would you classify the bands i mentioned melodeath anyway?
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

19.02.2008 - 11:03
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
just because a band is simlar to CoB doesnt mean that that band isnt melodeath!! similar doesnt mean the same

imperanon and norther are both good though
----
19.02.2008 - 11:04
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Miro on 19.02.2008 at 07:41

Vespers Descent-pretty unknown melo death band(from Australia).Maybe you heard of them.

Dark Lunacy-melo death band from Italy

vespers - havent managed to get a hold of much of these guys stuff, but will try again

dark lunacy - heard them - dolls is such a great song!!! sooo good!
----
19.02.2008 - 12:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Fuath on 19.02.2008 at 08:33

reallly?
wow

Thay are extreme power metal
Melo death are Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy , Ablaze My Sorrow, Burder of Grief , Neglected Fields and so on
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.02.2008 - 07:39
Fuath
Written by Bad English on 19.02.2008 at 12:05

Written by Fuath on 19.02.2008 at 08:33

reallly?
wow

Thay are extreme power metal
Melo death are Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy , Ablaze My Sorrow, Burder of Grief , Neglected Fields and so on

my apologies
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

22.02.2008 - 15:16
NOИ
Soilwork and Dark Tranquillity and old Amon Amarth.
26.03.2008 - 09:09
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by ylside on 17.11.2007 at 11:35

On another note.. as you're interested in rather "new" stuff, I REALLY would like to get feedback about Garden of Shadows. Just go download it as i don't think there are copy left for sale. A really unique atmospheric and melodic DM band.

well you seemed to be the one the recommend me garden of shadows, and now they are one of my fav bands - oracle moon one of my fav albums - so i was wondering if you knew any bands somewhat similar to garden of shadows?
----
26.03.2008 - 09:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 24.11.2007 at 22:55

Nebucadnezzer- Canadian band, pretty awesome

Indeed, one of my favorite bands from my city. 'Our Last Masquerade' is so much better live. Might be going on a US tour this summer too. Unfortunately from talking with one of the guitarists I have a bad feeling the next recordings are going to be real Wintersun worship.

Also, if you like Nebucadnezzer check out Lords Of The Mountain, its pretty much the same band, except they added a keyboardist and play sort of Finntroll/Ensiferum style stuff, not as good, but alot of the same neat leads and such.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin