01. By The Styx
02. Violet Venom
03. Blossom
04. Ad Nauseam
05. Vineyard And Ivy
06. Requiem
07. Evohe
08. Sparagmos

A French band signed to an Italian label, with a Greek theme. Doom metal à la Méditerranée.

In case you have been following our Clandestine Cuts series where we dedicate space to new and unsigned underground bands, you may remember Dionysiaque, because we featured them not just once but twice. Being covered twice in this series of articles is not common practice, quite the opposite, but I had to do an exception for Dionysiaque simply because they have such a cool doom sound that reminisces the old and the classic on one hand, but they also have a uniqueness in their character that makes them original. I, Voidhanger Records must have felt similarly, since they signed the band, and this label normally guarantees two things; quirkiness and quality. I reckon that they saw in Dionysiaque the bizarre allure that old Italian doom acts, like Paul Chain, Death SS, and Black Hole, used to have.

France's Dionysiaque take their name after Dionysus, a complex and multifaceted ancient Greek god associated with wine, its cultivation, and the festive mood that comes with it. His followers celebrated with music, dance, and inebriation, and there were festivals dedicated to him, which are considered to be the seeds of Western theatre. The album’s title, Diogonos, means twice-born, and Dionysos, who was son of Zeus, had a mortal mother, Semele, who was burnt to ashes, forcing Zeus to sew the unborn Dionysus into his thigh until he was later “reborn” in full form. As a result, Dionysus had a dual nature, both divine and mortal, and he represented the freedom of the spirit. He was an empowering figure for his followers, but a menacing and vengeful one for the non-believers.

With such a concept, it is only natural that Dionysiaque’s doom metal feels so unprocessed and pure, coming straight from the heart. The album was recorded live in five days, and it sure sounds like it, because there is clearly no autotune here and no unnecessary additional takes. Instead, there is a feel of authentic primordial doom when listening to Diogonos, but there is also a theatrical, playful, and ritualistic atmosphere in the songs. The band seems to have evolved significantly since their two demos by developing their song progressions further and by pulling out surprising turns in every song. It's amazing how ten minute-long tracks, like "By The Styx" and "Vineyard and Ivy" seem to fly by, also being among the best tunes of the album. The gloomy riffing, along with the blackened, classic heavy metal, and thrashy twists injected into the doom, are all still intact, of course, but it seems that Dionysiaque have become more adventurous and more daring with the compositions. If I could give my own name to the music, I’d call it ‘ecstatic doom’.

Every instrument here is playing a part to support the whole, and the production is aiding the cause of everything sounding clearly, but also packing an enormous punch. The guitars riff hard and they certainly go all-out when they hit the solos, the bass is audible with a fantastic tone, emphasizing the condemning vibrations along with the menacing drums, but I have to make an extra mention to the vocals, because Nathaniel sings like an intoxicated satyr, a Bacchic devotee dedicated to preach the gospel of doom to every unsuspecting soul out there. His voice is the most unorthodox feature of a band that generally has an off-kilter edge to their music, making sure that it never gets monotonous. For me, the unhinged vocals were an instant hook, but I expect some people to not be able to instantly appreciate them. Remember that this was often the case with Tim Baker or Mark Shelton back in the day, so listen with an open mind (or ear, for that matter).

Diogonos is an untamed and fascinating debut full-length of uninhibited emotions that took its time to be prepared in a cauldron filled with wine and rebellion. Dionysiaque did not rush with it; they embraced the wandering nature of the god that inspired them, and presented their first complete opus only when it was ripe and ready for consumption. We may not have Dionysian Mysteries in this day and age, but you can create your own imaginary version of them by listening to Diogonos.

Fans of Black Sabbath (duh), Hellhammer, and Head Of The Demon, let your spirit free, and celebrate the doom.

“Evoheeeeee”

Written on 05.03.2024 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 11 users
28.03.2024 - 11:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No lyrics quote
Another thing à la Méditerranée is Its written by Hellenic reviewer
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 1755 | This month: 205