Metal Storm logo
Infected Malignity - Re:bel review

Reviewer:
Band: Infected Malignity
Album: Re:bel
Style: Death metal
Release date: 2007

01. Waltz Of The Rebellion
02. Fictitious Follower (And Conceit Man)
03. Clear Sky Depicted By Wicked Artist
04. Inequality/Fancy
05. S.N.D.
06. 83721600

Going by the name of that Japanese band, I surmised it would sound like the end of the world was upon us. I was about right on that one. While Infected Malignity is attracted by the brutal side of things, they actually include a lot of melodic Death metal elements in their music. Those newcomers from Tokyo propose a solid balanced mix between Dark Tranquillity and Deicide.

While this is more an EP than a real full-blown album [22 minutes as a running time], this Re:bel record is quite impressive in essence. 6 track of unleashed brutality shape through deep vocals and bits of groovy melodic Death. Don't be fooled by the first track, which is some kind of an atmospheric guitar passage that made me wonder if I had the right CD in my player.

Don't fear Japanese lyrics a la Concerto Moon with Infected Malignity as their singer Katsuyuki Oota uses only perfect English. Led by the Sugano brothers [Takuma on guitars and Yuuto on drums], they actually sound more like a Florida-based Death combo than anything else.

The songs are all good, varied and rather "splattery" at times. However, my favourite is definitely 'Inequality/Fancy', which has a pronounced melodic Death flavour while remaining vicious.

Infected Malignity is one very promising band. They have a defined sound and some brilliant ideas. Their line-up changed already though, as Kouhei Watanabe is listed as their singer now. I hope it does not impact their sound too much as the previous guy did a terrific job on this record. In any case, this Re:bel record kicks ass and Infected Malignity is going to be a big attraction in North America as they are scheduled for a Canadian tour in May/June 2008.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 18.12.2007 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 6 users
18.12.2007 - 05:39
Herzebeth
they now suck, they used to be on par with Vomit Remnants or evn Cenotaph...now they're on the most boring label ever IMO...

they truly need Unmatched Brutality to be great, Galy Records just turned them into plain tech stuff...

I disagree with the review...
----
18.12.2007 - 07:33
FOOCK Nam
I was disappointed by the Intestine Baalism, lets see of this band.
20.12.2007 - 03:33
Southern Wind
Account deleted
This band hadn't shown yet to this japanese death metal freak.

Hits total: 4838 | This month: 12