US metallers Virgin Steele are set to release their new album, The Black Light Bacchanalia, via SPV/Steamhammer on the following dates:

Germany, Austria, Switzerland: October 22
Rest of Europe: October 25
USA, Canada: November 9

The new album will be available as a limited-edition digipak, standard CD, double gatefold vinyl and as a digital download.

Commented vocalist David DeFeis: "It will be a long album... close to 80 minutes. The album (to be really brief) concerns the reversal of all things. Once conquered by invading cultures, older Pagan deities become the demons of the new religion. The Black Light Bacchanalia is a reversal of the sacred sexual customs, and the final desecration of the "Goddess Principle", switching from matrilineal descent to patrilineal descent, with the rise of the idea of the Mountain-Fire God.... And it also has to do with ancient fears such as the fear of the sun not rising... Lyrically it is a kind of continuation of the story I told on the last album... Musically it is quite something else..."

Songtitles set to appear on The Black Light Bacchanalia CD include:

* By The Hammer Of Zeus
* Pagan Heart
* The Bread Of Wickedness
* The Orpheus Taboo
* In A Dream Of Fire
* Nepenthe
* Necropolis (He Answers Them With Death)
* To Crown Them With Halos Parts 1 & 2
* The Tortures Of The Damned
* The Black Light Bacchanalia (The Age That Is To Come)
* Eternal Regret

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Virgin Steele

Posted: 11.08.2010 by Bad English

Comments

Dark Seraphim - 11.08.2010 at 11:12
I can't wait for this. If its half as good as Visions of Eden then I will be a very happy man.
YoreLore - 11.08.2010 at 19:12
Been waiting for some real news on this album for years. Absolutely cant wait. Tracklist seems so epic and I agree with Seraphim, if its half as good as the last album it will still be a masterpiece .
Ellrohir - 13.08.2010 at 12:48
Visions Of Eden was awesome album...i hope they can keep up...but wait - they are Virgin Steele, of course they can!
Ellrohir - 08.09.2010 at 11:57
Studio update:

YoreLore - 24.09.2010 at 22:41
Another update including artwork and the bonus material on the different version!

Derwood - 26.09.2010 at 03:42
I had no idea these guys were still active. I remember picking up their Age of Consent on cassette out of the $2.99 bin in 1989. I don't recall exactly what I thought of it, but it wasn't enough to bother picking up anything from them again. Sounds like their more recent stuff might be worth checking out.
RavenKing - 26.09.2010 at 05:12
Written by Derwood on 26.09.2010 at 03:42

Imo, "Invictus" is an excellent album (this thread reminded me that I need to order a new copy because my old CD is scratched). The two "House Of Atreus" albums have their good moments too but I like them less than "Invictus". As for "Visions Of Eden", I have no idea because I never heard the album.

By the way, some people compare this band to Manowar and I can easily see why they're doint it. However, I think Virgin Steele is many times better. There are some similarities but also differences. I never liked a single Manowar song and I have no problem with Virgin Steele, so it's surely not the same.
Also, I really like David DeFeis as a vocalist. His vocals have nothing typical of Powermetal singers. And he's a very talented lyricist too, imo. I think it's a case when lyrics make songs even better. Miles away from Manowar's cheesy and cliched lyrics.

Just don't expect anything technical because it is not. However, if you like well-done old school Heavy/Powermetal, competently composed and played, made with the heart at the right place, you could enjoy this band quite a bit.

News Virgin Black - New Album On The Way 8.5 14.11.2007 by Bararey
News October Tide - Announce Line-Up Changes, New Album On The Way 7 09.02.2012 by Kuroboshi
News Disarmonia Mundi - New Album On The Way 7 21.06.2008 by Talvi