Official press release

Occasionally a musician has to take a step back into the past to develop artistically. Tom Englund, guitarist and vocalist with Swedish rock group Evergrey, took this risk and reorganised his artistic environment. "The most recent Evergrey line-up had reached a point where we no longer had fun as a group," he confesses, adding: "So we went our separate ways to save our friendship. There were no angry words, and we're still friends privately."

Naturally, the decision to break up wasn't easy for these long-standing friends, especially for Englund and his remaining keyboardist, Rikard Zander, for whom a continuation of Evergrey was never called into question. Yet they both had to face a new challenge: "In the beginning, we weren't sure whether we'd be able to write a new album without the wealth of experience that the previous line-up brought in. But after Rikard and I had composed a full three numbers during the first week, we felt that was a real coup."

Listeners will feel this positive energy throughout Glorious Collision, the band's eighth studio album, which is due for release on 28 February 2011 (Germany: 25 February 2011; USA/Canada: 22 February 2011) on Steamhammer/SPV. A dynamic goody bag featuring the most diverse material ever released on an Evergrey album. "This may sound like a contradiction in view of our personnel situation, but Rikard and I have allowed more influences on Glorious Collision than ever before. Some elements on Glorious Collision are classic rock, based on a metal format, sometimes the tracks are quiet and haunting, sometimes wild, demanding and gripping."

This diversity is also expressed in the instrumentation of this extremely dynamic studio production which presents the new band members Marcus Jidell (guitar), Hannes Van Dahl (drums) and Johan Niemann (bass). "It's great to hear what a breath of fresh air Marcus, Johan and Hannes have brought into the band," Englund enthuses. "Although the entire material, except for two songs to which Marcus wrote and contributed on the compositional side, had already been decided when we started recording, they all left their own, very personal mark on this album." The great experience of Jidell and Niemann, who have worked with acts such as Royal Hunt and Therion, among others, and have now contributed lots of positive energy together with the 20-year-old drummer, Van Dahl, can be felt throughout the album.

Glorious Collision [cover art] tracklist:

Eddie Misery - 20.11.2010 at 16:49
Fucking stoked!
AbovEviL - 20.11.2010 at 17:00
Can't Wait! Finally...
RafaRata - 20.11.2010 at 19:35
Cover sucks ... kinda
but can't wait to hear ir!!
BloodTears - 20.11.2010 at 19:52
Hum, the cover looks kinda cartoonish. I'm not very fond of it to be honest. But the music is what matters the most, so I'm excited about that, to see how the band coped with so many changes.
Pimpelmee - 20.11.2010 at 20:13
Cover art is disappointing. Hope the music is better.
BloodTears - 20.11.2010 at 20:43
Also the song list is longer than usual, shorter songs maybe?
Vitriolic Hate - 20.11.2010 at 20:51

I'm curious about the new sound.
Enemy of Reality - 21.11.2010 at 01:30
Man that cover is one of the worst i've ever seen...
Kevorkian - 21.11.2010 at 05:38
The last album I've heard from them was Monday Morning Apocalypse. I have been hesitant about picking up Torn, but this news is making me consider following them again.
4look4rd - 21.11.2010 at 05:46
I really like the cover, it is much better than the new computer graphics trend, and it goes well with the band. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this.
WorpeX - 21.11.2010 at 07:02
Cover seems fine to me. The song names do scare me though. I really hate one name song titles unless they are a unique word. Song titles like 'You' are really stupid to me, i'll never remember what that song is because of how bland the song title is. Their last album suffered from the same problem. Really wish they would stop doing that...
Susan - 21.11.2010 at 07:10
Written by Kevorkian on 21.11.2010 at 05:38

I'd suggest Torn, it's very nice. Definitely a step above MMA in terms of songwriting, energy, and performance. Torn is almost up there with the band's earlier classics.

Who knows about this new sound though. I'm excited!
Jon - 21.11.2010 at 07:57
Written by Susan on 21.11.2010 at 07:10

Written by Kevorkian on 21.11.2010 at 05:38

Who knows about this new sound though. I'm excited!

Agree Torn was the first album I heard from them (then MMA was underwhelming). Torn has plenty of good tracks/ riffs etc and a great, soulful vocal performance. They do seem like the kind of band that could easily slip into a rut though, and that cover art is crap.
Kevorkian - 21.11.2010 at 11:14
Written by Susan on 21.11.2010 at 07:10

Written by Kevorkian on 21.11.2010 at 05:38

Who knows about this new sound though. I'm excited!

Cool, thanks for the advice. I did enjoy Monday Morning Apocalypse, despite it's relative simplicity. I think another reason I haven't gotten Torn is that there are so many other albums higher up on my to-get list. Sounds like I'll have to move it up a few slots!
Dark Blood - 21.11.2010 at 11:32
Hmm. The cover is weird. I honestly don't like the art that much. But let's see how the (new) band's work is coming out. Maybe a change in the band was a good thing after all. Don't know, only time will tell. I'm curious.
Permafrost - 21.11.2010 at 11:38
The artist who's responsible for this cover surely has Stiff Little Fingers' - Go For It in his collection.
It's a real rip-off. Nevertheless i like it.
Susan - 21.11.2010 at 15:19
Written by Permafrost on 21.11.2010 at 11:38

It's a real rip-off. Nevertheless i like it.

Wow, haha you're so right! It's eerily similar...
Ag Fox - 21.11.2010 at 17:24
Haha... album art sucks badly indeed
DAMON-LEE - 21.11.2010 at 21:59
Sound awsome!!! Can't wait. I have only one album, "Torn" and it's f-ing great. Plan to get some more albums soon, any suggestions?
Susan - 21.11.2010 at 23:07
Recreation Day is probably their best Though I also like In Search of Truth and also Solitude Dominance Tragedy is amazing.

News Cadaveria - New Album Details Revealed 7 23.11.2011 by
News Finntroll - New Album Details Revealed 7 26.11.2009 by Baz Anderson
News Infestus - New Album Details Revealed 7 03.03.2014 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Agent Steel - Details Revealed About New Album 7 03.03.2007 by