ZomgzomgZOMGwtfbbq!?!?11!

It's February 1st, which means it's the moment you've all been waiting forů The 9th Annual Metal Storm Awards are upon us. We've done a lot of work in setting this whole thing up and now it's your turn to bust your voting nut 30 seconds in to the month then spend the next 28 days whining because we didn't include your favorite album or put it under the wrong genre.

Seriously though, take your time and check out our nominees. We've got LOTS of first timers that made the cut and are worth taking a listen to before casting your vote. And for any questions regarding what category a band belongs in please ask HERE.

Enjoy.

\m/

Team MS.

Posted: 01.02.2013 by BitterCOld

Comments page 5 of 5

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Promonex - 26.02.2013 at 18:27
Written by The Shape 1973 on 26.02.2013 at 18:11

The only thing that annoys me is the genres. The lines are so blurred now between styles, why do the Metalstorm police keep deleting my write ins. Some albums could go in three different categories, it should be my decision if I think it should go as one style or another. You have made the recommendations with your picks, let me make mine with the write in vote.

Sorry to the staff if this seems like a rant, I wouldn't want to have to do all of the extra work you do to prepare the awards, but please give the write in vote a bit of freedom.

Please refer to the discussion thread. I may have listed your write-ins that got deleted. The thing is, when the awards are over, only releases with more than 10 votes will be listed until the end of times, regardless of whether they have been officially nominated or not. If a band has 20 votes by 20 different people, but 5 each believe it belongs in a different category, then the release won't make a showing. Our aim by deleting write-ins is to give your vote the chance to actually make an impact by voting in the category, in which most people have voted for a given release.

May I ask what exactly bothers you?
Alex Fenger - 26.02.2013 at 18:31
Written by The Shape 1973 on 26.02.2013 at 18:11

I actually agree with this to some extent. While it would be absurd to put something like Evoken's Atra Mors in the "power metal" category, I could see some releases falling into multiple categories such as albums that mix avantgarde music with black metal. However, to counteract my own point, you can always (and should if you're unsure) ask the staff what the proper placement for an album is.
The Shape 1973 - 26.02.2013 at 18:42
Written by Promonex on 26.02.2013 at 18:27

Written by The Shape 1973 on 26.02.2013 at 18:11

May I ask what exactly bothers you?

Get ready to sigh for the same old topic.

I think you should be able to vote in a write in for what genre you want. For example, you have deemed Wintersun to be in the Extreme Power metal category, because of this I can only vote for it in a write in. I don't think it is the best Extreme Power metal release though. Its more Power metal than the first album was, so this is where I would have voted for it, but you have taken my choice away by deleting it. So what if I am the only person who thinks its Power metal, if it only gets one vote in that category I can live with that. You could also put it in the symphonic category, but I'm not getting in to a pointless argument about who called who what.
Promonex - 26.02.2013 at 18:52
I'm afraid we can't please everyone. If an album gets 50 votes in category X and 5 in category Y, and if we don't let the latter five voters know, they'll blame us afterwards why nobody told them to vote in X instead. But fine by me, I won't touch the power metal vote for Wintersun anymore.
Druss - 26.02.2013 at 19:54
My spin on the way the MS Awards' voting system is done (i.e. if someone were to vote for Alkerdeel's Morinde in ''Sludge Metal'', despite it having an element of sludge in it, it still wouldn't count towards its final count in the ''Extreme Doom Metal'' category, where its been placed) is that, due to the blurred lines already commented on between similar categories / a bit of a mix-and-match album that encompasses hints of multiple genres, it may encourage some people, who might only dip into Metal Storm once a year to get their votes in, to not only try everything otherwise nominated in a genre they wanna vote in but also to take in the site more, as a whole. You could mistakenly vote for Wintersun's latest in the ''Power Metal'' (or even ''Symphonic Metal'' at a stretch) genre, but unless you read the opening message of the Awards, or are paying attention to the general site, you might lose your vote. As such, voting isn't just mindless (like my local political votes are for me, whereby I simply pick the prettiest candidate, because there isn't anything there to stop me from doing so) during the MS Awards, it requires a bit of observation and actual care from the voter(s) in question.

That probably wasn't the intended effect, I just like to read into things way too much.

On a more on-topic (and not inside-topic) note, really enjoying the albums so far, and found a lotta new stuff. Only real qualm is you bastids have made the ''Extreme Doom'' category ridicolously hard for me to choose my favourite
Promonex - 26.02.2013 at 20:00
Written by Druss on 26.02.2013 at 19:54

I'll give you a hint. Alkerdeel is the correct answer
[/unprofessionalbias]
Mr. Doctor - 26.02.2013 at 20:12
Yeah... The extreme doom category is definitely one of the hardest for me. I honestly liked all albums on that one.
Druss - 26.02.2013 at 20:21
Written by Promonex on 26.02.2013 at 20:00

I'll give you a hint. Alkerdeel is the correct answer
[/unprofessionalbias]

Hah, Alkerdeel is probably still my favourite, but its more a personal taste thing in truth, I just love the pure, undiluted filth of it the ones struggling with me to beat that are Evoken, Indesinence (really loved this album) and Monolithe's EP. Best thing about those three albums? Hadn't listened to (though, I had heard of) any one of the three of them previous to these Awards
!J.O.O.E.! - 26.02.2013 at 20:35
Written by Druss on 26.02.2013 at 20:21

And this is the reason why popular stuff should be, if generally possible, kept out of the awards. Why give an album everyone and their Grand mother knows about a spot, when an equally great or better unknown record can have some recognition.
Druss - 26.02.2013 at 20:51
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 26.02.2013 at 20:35

Aye, and that statement extends to pretty much every genre I've voted in. I've voted in 11 categories so far (still have to decide on Extreme Doom, and will get another one or two done in the last day or two I'm sure), and in only one category was the album I expected to vote for still my favourite after listening to all the candidates (Pharaoh in PM). For a lotta genres I've voted for, it makes sense (i.e. I enjoy doom metal, but I won't listen to every single doom/extreme doom album talked about on the site), but even for ''Heavy / Melodic Metal'', a genre I normally try to keep up to date in, I ended up voting for Dawnbringer's Into The Lair Of The Sun God, an album I hadn't even heard of, let alone listened to previous to the Awards.

Granted, the big stuff's still gonna win (for the most part, at least) in their respective categories, but the candidates can be real eye openers sometimes.
Promonex - 26.02.2013 at 20:57
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 26.02.2013 at 20:35

Because supporting unknown records is unprofessional.
Czerny Reiter - 27.02.2013 at 02:39
Being unsupportive of unknown records is unprofessional. And unsporting. And un-other-things.

My personal take on these awards: didn't listen to extreme doom before -> am an avid and starry-eyed extreme doom devotee now.

Already knew Evoken going in but bands like Indesinence, Bong, Monolithe, Alkerdeel, Elysian Blaze, Faal and Narrow House all blew me away with their expansive and all-encompassing approach to oppressive beauty.

I think even the Alternative Category vote for Aluk Todolo came as an after-effect of this.

I'm having the hardest time settling on a vote and that is a beautiful thing indeed.
Darkside Momo - 27.02.2013 at 02:57
Corrected for you
Quote:

I'll give you a hint. Faal is the correct answer
[/unprofessionalbias]
Nefarious - 27.02.2013 at 08:36
Quote:

I'll give you a hint. Faal is the correct answer
[/unprofessionalbias]

Nah come on, it's clearly Indesinence!

....or Faal

...or Monolithe
Mr. Doctor - 27.02.2013 at 11:25
Quote:
Written by Darkside Momo on 27.02.2013 at 02:57

Corrected for you

I'll give you a hint. Elysian Blaze is the correct answer
[/unprofessionalbias]

There you go... Nah but seriously. That was an excellent category, definitely my favorite. All great stuff.
Promonex - 27.02.2013 at 16:30
If Alkerdeel wasn't the correct answer, it would be Evoken. Or Narrow House. But they aren't because it's Alkerdeel, k?

NB: before the awards I didn't know either of these records ^^
Cynic Metalhead - 28.02.2013 at 18:03
Well, in Djent / Math Metal i haven't listen to anyone of yet. I think it would be better if I give a miss.

/toughnom

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

News 10th Annual Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting 12 01.02.2014 by Hex_Omega
News Metal Storm Awards 2009 - Now Open For Voting! 10.5 01.02.2010 by Angel_Lament
News Metal Storm Awards 2007 - Voting Open 9 01.02.2008 by iaberis