Katatonia have been revealed as very special guests on Paradise Lost's Tragic Illusion 25th anniversary UK tour in October alongside Lacuna Coil. Since they are also celebrating their own 10th anniversary for their standout sixth album Viva Emptiness, the band will be performing the album in its entirety each night. To coincide with the shows and the album's 10-year anniversary, Viva Emptiness will be entirely re-mixed and re-mastered by David Castillo plus enhanced with new artwork courtesy of Travis Smith for a re-release on November 4th via Peaceville. The album will be available for pre-order from September 23rd.

Viva Emptiness was originally released in 2003 and is regarded by many as a classic and one of the best albums of the band. So, this will be a great opportunity to see the band play the whole album live if you are really a fanboy/girl.

Guitarist and founding member Anders Nyström comments: "Sometimes after an album has been out for a while I always get the question if there's something we would have wanted to change or done differently and 99% of the time I say 'no' because we have happily moved on! But, there's been one particular album that would in fact echo with a loud 'YES' to that question. Dear friends, that would be the album you know as Viva Emptiness..."

"This year, time is approaching Viva Emptiness with a 10-year anniversary, so is there really something to celebrate? Oh yes indeed! Our long lost mission objective will finally be completed! The album may now take that climb, in terms of audio quality, to be right up there proudly positioned beside it's younger 'album brethren' - The Great Cold Distance, Night Is The New Day and finally Dead End Kings. We will give Viva Emptiness the sound and production the songs always deserved by having our long time studio rat and collaborator David Castillo work his magic at his Ghost Ward studio. Secondly, another long time collaborator of ours, namely Travis Smith, will give the artwork an enhanced continuation of the original theme that will keep the visual aesthetes at bay! And last but not least, the crowning of the celebration: We will take Viva Emptiness with us on the road and play the album live in it's entirety while performing as 'very special guests' to our 'tragic idols' in Paradise Lost, celebrating their own 25th anniversary tour this fall. Viva Viva Emptiness Fulfilled!"

In other news, as you probably know by now, Katatonia recently announced a Pledge campaign for Dethroned & Uncrowned, the new version of the Dead End Kings album reworked, stripped down in a semi-acoustic way. The goal of the campaign has already been reached but fans can still get perks.

The band posted this message for their fans: "Thank you, our dear 'Katatoniacs', for making sure this Pledge campaign broke 100% and reaching our goal (and we're impressed how fast you did that!). This means the Dethroned & Uncrowned album and subsequent touring will become our and your reality!

A lot of you have asked if the Pledge campaign will remain open and yes, it will! Just because we've reached 100% doesn't mean that the items (that are still available) go away, it just made the goal of the project come true! The Pledge campaign will keep going until it's release which you can see indicated beside the % bar. Just remember it's a first come first served basis, so the count below the prices in the right column indicates what's still left. So thank you again for all the pledges, you rule!"

Dethroned & Uncrowned will be their first release on Kscope and comes out in September, 2013.

Source: katatonia.com
Band profile: Katatonia

Posted: 19.06.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

IronArkadius666 - 19.06.2013 at 13:21
Oh Christ, as a huge fan of VE and an even bigger fan of Katatonia's latest sound, this could be heaven on earth for me.
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.06.2013 at 13:24
Quote:

oh we're fucked now. What some of were afraid of is indeed going to happen, tey'll make the remix remaster of Viva Emptiness a totally lifeless affair. When will bands learn to NOT remix remaster older albums when those sounded just fine to great, which VE did.
Daniell - 19.06.2013 at 14:00
It may get even worse. They may say that the remastered version is what they intended the album to sound in the first place...
IronArkadius666 - 19.06.2013 at 14:31
What exactly is it that many people don't like about their new sound? Is it too soft? Too much emphasis on keyboards? Not enought guitar?
I'm just curious, not trying to start Ponderer thread here.
Mr. Doctor - 19.06.2013 at 14:35
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.06.2013 at 13:24

Quote:

That was my exact reaction. At first I thought "ok, just a remaster... it will be unnecesary but it's not like they will get into their latest sterile sound, right?" and now I feel like I just got punched in the face.

FUCK audiophiles and FUCK their sense of production.
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.06.2013 at 14:35
Written by IronArkadius666 on 19.06.2013 at 14:31

I'm just curious, not trying to start Ponderer thread here.

the new sound I mean the production used. Which is just bland and totally without any dynamics and no raw edge to it, not even in the slightest.
Mr. Doctor - 19.06.2013 at 14:37
Written by IronArkadius666 on 19.06.2013 at 14:31

Simple: The last 3 albums (specially the latest)... The production is sterile, completely devoid of any feeling. Like if they just made it in the laboratory. Nothing organic about it whatsoever. It has absolutely nothing to do with softness, keys or guitars. Everything just sounds lifeless.
Dentura - 19.06.2013 at 14:42
I'm curious as to what the remaster of Viva Emptiness will sound like, but I think I will probably stick with my original copy. I think the original sounds fine the way it is, but I don't see this as a "George Lucas move" since their new sound is actually good anyway, I imagine it would be like Opeth remastering the "Still Life" album or something.
SEXdepressedGOD. - 19.06.2013 at 17:53
Damn...hate it when bands get to this point! Katatonia has been my favorite band since VE..not really a fan of their last two albums though. Hopefully they don't pull an Opeth...
BloodTears - 19.06.2013 at 18:26
I'm curious about Dethroned & Uncrowned but I like Viva Emptiness the way it is, thank you. It is also my favourite Katatonia album, so I'm not too keen on the remaster.

Would love if they played it in its entirety in Portugal though (please!)
Opethian - 19.06.2013 at 20:28
Written by Dentura on 19.06.2013 at 14:42

Spot on. Im hoping that the new remastered version comes with some extra goodies, Digibook, sticker, poster etc...
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.06.2013 at 21:02
£28 to see Paradise Lost put the whole room to sleep, but not before we get Katatonia's best album played probably with the sound used for the recent albums. No thanks.
Mr. Doctor - 19.06.2013 at 21:04
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.06.2013 at 21:02

Well, I saw them playing two songs from VE a few months ago and it sounded great. But yeah, I dunno...
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.06.2013 at 21:06
Written by Mr. Doctor on 19.06.2013 at 21:04

I probably still won't go
Mr. Doctor - 19.06.2013 at 21:08
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.06.2013 at 21:06
I probably still won't go

I honestly wouldn't go either but not because of Katatonia... I just can't spend money on modern Paradise Lost and Lacuna Coil.
Bad English - 19.06.2013 at 21:28
This is redicilus, band rejects and forgots they roots and real true classics ''Dance Of december Souls'' and ''Brave/Murder/Day'' rest from this band is one big shit.... band is deat to me only real classics lives , rest is to start a fire. AH burned books in berlin in 1938 IMO, we shood burn fake band albums
Mr. Doctor - 20.06.2013 at 00:39
^Meh, Viva Emptiness is just as much of a classic as their first two albums.
Dentura - 20.06.2013 at 01:17
Written by Opethian on 19.06.2013 at 20:28

Written by Dentura on 19.06.2013 at 14:42

That'd be cool!
IronArkadius666 - 20.06.2013 at 02:18
Quote:

Hmmm... I agree that DEK sounds a bit lifeless sometimes (Leech, Hypnone, Dead Letters) but NITND sounds really full to me, especially on tracks like "The Longest Year" and "Day And Then The Shade". But I supposes I am a tad biased as NITND is the album that got me into Katatonia, I have to thank it for that.
Swietowit11 - 21.06.2013 at 14:52
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.06.2013 at 21:02

Haha, as a casual fan of Paradise Lost but a huge fan of "Draconian Times", this is unfortunately too true for words. When they opened for Katatonia in the US last fall, they only played one song from that album, "Enchantment", arguably one of the most boring openers to a great album ever. They could have picked any other more exciting song from that album to include in their set, i.e. "Hallowed Land", or even better, "Once Solemn", but noooo.
Dentura - 24.06.2013 at 16:29
Written by Swietowit11 on 21.06.2013 at 14:52

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.06.2013 at 21:02

I remember Paradise Lost played "Forever Failure" when I went to see them with Katatonia last fall.
Vanessa M. - 25.06.2013 at 08:28
Katatonia has had some blunders in the past, but for the most part they are quite good. Hopefully this will be a good choice.

News Katatonia - Ends Anniversary Tour In Scandinavia 7.5 07.09.2011 by
News Katatonia - Announce European Tour With Alcest And Junius 7.5 13.07.2012 by IronAngel
News Insomnium - US Tour With Katatonia, Scar Symmetry And Swallow The Sun 5.5 05.06.2007 by Asitis
News Arsis - 'A Celebration Of Guilt' 10th Anniversary Tour 5.5 22.07.2014 by Alondate
News Therion - Announce European 25th Anniversary Tour And New Album 5.5 15.02.2012 by SceneryOfLoss