Lots of metal Heads feel that this genre has
nothing to offer, that it is unintelegent and
without feeling, that it's all about smokin'
joints and gang wars.

But others may realize that rap and metal
arn't so different after all. Just look at
How Public Enemy Did a Song with Anthrax,
It's simple, both metal and rap can tend to have
rebelious and politically themed music. (punk to actually)
They both can indicate Drug problems and spiritual
Awareness.

For me, Rap is my favorite Genre of Music second
only to metal (Of Course!) Because I feel, well......
Pretty much the same as how I explained on the previous
Paragraph. It's intelligent, Political and for the most part
rebellious music. It also sounds good to me, If it's a good
M.C., the words flow like water with the Beat in the background.

So, what about you, is it stupid to you?
Do just not like the Sound?
Or maby you Love the sound,
and hey, do you relate to it?

Go Forth and Tell me!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: If you're going to critisize this genre of Music in any Negative way, Please make sure you critisize it with some inteligence. Statements like "The Only Good Rapper is a dead one," WILL BE MARKED AS A SPAM POST!!!
So please, remember that, and we're cool
16.03.2010 - 03:04
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=34158] on 12.03.2010 at 00:09

I'm coming to this thread in search of recommendations. I'm not very familiar with rap. The artists I currently know of and listen to are: N.W.A., Wu Tang Clan, Rakim, Canibus, and Nas. What would be the next best step after these artists?

Gang Starr is good. MC Guru and DJ Premier are fucking amazing.
Also Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, The Fugees, Mos Def, Telib Kweli, Black Star (Mos and Kweli made both their debut's on that album as a duo, but then went on as solo artists) The Roots, Old School Black Eyed peas, Biggie, Tupac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, The Game, Proof of D12, Xzibit, Ludacris, Busta Rhymes, Jay-Z, Killa Sin, Onyx, Redman, and Ice Cube. lol sorry about all the suggestions guess I just got carried away.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
16.03.2010 - 03:14
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Lucas on 10.01.2010 at 14:38

Written by Jan on 16.10.2009 at 07:41

Written by Elio on 16.10.2009 at 00:28

Rap is a genre like many others, with many awesome and many terrible artists. Your way of thinking isn't very mature.

This is a genre that is about glorifying crime & violence, vulgarity, portraying women as whores and the worship of glitzy things & the almighty dollar.

This topic is not about Death & Black metal, but about Rap.

I can understand that people hate rap. When you turn on the TV you only see the commercialized, mainstream tip of the iceberg of it. Although, I actually like some of that too. But the same goes for Metal. But hey, this argument has been held too many times, metal and rap fans will rarely be friends, so be it. I don't care.

-----

I don't want the poppy MTV form of it, though. The Game's "Red Bandana" is what I'm looking for, or La Coka Nostra's "Gun In Your Mouth". Exaggerated, overly confident, slang-filled tough-guy shit-talking. Preferably catchy.

Oh I know Red Bandana, that's a good one.
I would say Dr. Dre's "The Chronic", Wu Tang Clan's "Enter the 36 chambers of Death", Ice Cube's "Amerikkka's Most Wanted" Raekwon's "Only Built for Cuban Linx."
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

17.03.2010 - 17:31
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
I downloaded Swollen Members' discography a short while ago based on their feature on an Infected Mushroom song (Artillery off Vicious Delicious). Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to hearing a lot of it yet, but I've really been liking what I heard so far
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
18.03.2010 - 22:37
Don Martin
le fu-
I really like Cypress Hill, Public Enemy and Beastie Boys but after that it stops for me. I really dislike rappers like 50 cent. What's up with him? He sounds so lame! With lame I mean that he just talks at a normal pace into the mic. Dudes like Cypress Hill rap at a 1000 miles an hour and are semi-forgotten while this guy just talks and sells millions of records...
----
What a tackastrophe!
19.03.2010 - 00:40
whatsacow
I really like hilltop hills. i dont know why, i just do. also cLOUDDEAD. Not really traditional, the most bizarre hip hop band i've ever heard. elements of indie and art rock, but its still mainly rap.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
31.03.2010 - 23:33
Winterthrone
Written by Bas on 17.03.2010 at 17:31

I downloaded Swollen Members' discography a short while ago based on their feature on an Infected Mushroom song (Artillery off Vicious Delicious). Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to hearing a lot of it yet, but I've really been liking what I heard so far

Yeah Swollen Members are awesome, I've got a compilation of 'em that came with Forum's True Life (Snowboard Movie) like 9 years ago and it kicked ass... I've not heard a lot of their newer stuff but it's good clean english-canadian hip-hop from Vancouver B.C. I also love Cypress Hill they are geniuses, their beats and lyrics are amazing... Puffing a large doobie is really cool when you listen to 'em.
31.03.2010 - 23:41
Winterthrone
Written by Jan on 18.10.2009 at 09:33

Ok - I have checked out the videos.

I follow you on the lyrics - so yeah there are meaningful rap lyrics. But still think the music is shit though.

Go listen to The Roots, it's a Philadelphia band with true musicians, a very talented drummer and good jazz-rock guitar parts and, of course awesome bass and keyboards . These are rap's finest when it comes to the music. Also the lyrics are very good and poetic.
06.04.2010 - 22:14
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Winterthrone on 31.03.2010 at 23:41

Written by Jan on 18.10.2009 at 09:33

Ok - I have checked out the videos.

I follow you on the lyrics - so yeah there are meaningful rap lyrics. But still think the music is shit though.

Go listen to The Roots, it's a Philadelphia band with true musicians, a very talented drummer and good jazz-rock guitar parts and, of course awesome bass and keyboards . These are rap's finest when it comes to the music. Also the lyrics are very good and poetic.

You forgot to give props to Ques Love man He is a bad ass drummer.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

30.06.2010 - 19:54
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 16.03.2010 at 03:04

Written by [user id=34158] on 12.03.2010 at 00:09

I'm coming to this thread in search of recommendations. I'm not very familiar with rap. The artists I currently know of and listen to are: N.W.A., Wu Tang Clan, Rakim, Canibus, and Nas. What would be the next best step after these artists?

Gang Starr is good. MC Guru and DJ Premier are fucking amazing.
Also Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, The Fugees, Mos Def, Telib Kweli, Black Star (Mos and Kweli made both their debut's on that album as a duo, but then went on as solo artists) The Roots, Old School Black Eyed peas, Biggie, Tupac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, The Game, Proof of D12, Xzibit, Ludacris, Busta Rhymes, Jay-Z, Killa Sin, Onyx, Redman, and Ice Cube. lol sorry about all the suggestions guess I just got carried away.

Late reply, I know. But thanks for all the recommendations. They really helped a lot. By the way, do you like Tech N9ne? I found his stuff to be pretty good. Also, a friend of mine showed me Jay Electronica, who is also very good.
30.06.2010 - 20:24
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Tech n9ne is pretty good, though I haven't heard a whole lot by him.. Can't say I've ever heard of Jay electronica.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

01.07.2010 - 20:10
Malevolent-Jim
I am always open to more Hip Hop.I already listen to Jedi Mind Tricks,Dalek and GZA.That's about it though.
05.07.2010 - 23:34
Herb
Written by Malevolent-Jim on 01.07.2010 at 20:10

I am always open to more Hip Hop.I already listen to Jedi Mind Tricks,Dalek and GZA.That's about it though.

As a lone metal listener I learned one thing and thats searching deep underground for interesting bands without any recommendations. If you like Jedi and GZA I have a few suggestions for you and anyone interested.

Jus Allah - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLRpr5nj16w what a king of the mic he truly is. "Im the difference between boxing and wrestling" sums it up.

Mr Lif - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDYBX5VLj_E He's a real sledge hammer for the conservatives that claim that rap has bad lyrics. One of the best writers for me to date.

Warcloud aka Holocaust - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_WVom-CHdk One of the Wu Tang Clan affiliates. I like him because he's just sinister. "Wu Tang Clan, warriors on the hillside!"

Virtuoso - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o3_KfcaIJE Final proof that white boys can rap also. Cant even compare him to Eminem.

The Devil'z Rejects - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUlO4BG7Wo While I might not like Bomshot this track is titanic.

Please do share opinions, Im curious.
14.07.2010 - 02:22
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I hadn't realized this until I went looking for some information on his Jazzmatazz albums, but the talented MC Guru passed away in April. RIP. Link.
----
The force will be with you, always.
14.07.2010 - 02:44
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Sad to say, some rap is better than certain genres of Metal.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
14.07.2010 - 17:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Zombie on 14.07.2010 at 02:44

Why is that "sad to say"? Is it not conceivable that metal isn't the undisputed "number one" genre in music?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.07.2010 - 19:03
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
In a metal forum full of metal enthusiasts, when u mention that a kind of music that is 'most of the time' pointless is better than some metal (keeping an open mind about it by saying 'most of the time' not 'll of the time' ) ... so, you have to pity the shitty condition metal has reached to be even lower than one of the lowest kinds of music !

(not all metal of course. i'm talkin about commercial, poser, crap of course)
----

14.07.2010 - 19:27
The Turbanator
I only listen to selected few. Bone Thugs, Zack de la Rocha, Cypress Hill. That's all.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
14.07.2010 - 19:41
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Tupac's serious stuff was good, and Eminem's -political sarcasm- tracks are also ok ...
other than that its booty shaking, nigga' hatin', f-word namin', hip hop dawg !
----

15.07.2010 - 00:55
JD
Account deleted

haha yeah maybe but there is many good rappers spicaly the polish mc's like WWO Kodex 2 and many other's i like them more than half of the metal genres like nu metal,core,power,doom,gothic
15.07.2010 - 01:22
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by [user id=28526] on 15.07.2010 at 00:55

haha yeah maybe but there is many good rappers spicaly the polish mc's like WWO Kodex 2 and many other's i like them more than half of the metal genres like nu metal,core,power,doom,gothic

you're syrian and you dislike doom ... wtf ? lol
syrian metalheads are all about doom, infact metal to them is agaloch, opeth, doom vs., draconian, and katatonia !
----

15.07.2010 - 05:53
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Zombie on 14.07.2010 at 19:41

Tupac's serious stuff was good, and Eminem's -political sarcasm- tracks are also ok ...
other than that its booty shaking, nigga' hatin', f-word namin', hip hop dawg !

If Tupac and Eminem were the end all of Rap and Hip Hop then you might have a point, but there are many groups out there that were/are better than either of these two talented MCs. It's been said before, but to say that all Rap and Hip Hop is money, women, drugs, gangsters, etc. is to say similar ignorant statements about Metal. There is all kinds of good stuff out there. You actually just have to take the time to look past the commercial contemporary crap to find the better stuff. It's the same as any genre.
----
The force will be with you, always.
15.07.2010 - 13:23
JD
Account deleted
Written by Zombie on 15.07.2010 at 01:22

Written by [user id=28526] on 15.07.2010 at 00:55

you're syrian and you dislike doom ... wtf ? lol
syrian metalheads are all about doom, infact metal to them is agaloch, opeth, doom vs., draconian, and katatonia !

well i don't dislike doom but it's soooooooo boring for me ... and yeah there is many doom fans in syria i just don't know why! maybe becouse doom is too slow and eazy to hear ... and eazy to play) so i prefer DEATH, THRASH, BLACK OR RAP!! sad but true
15.07.2010 - 13:29
JD
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 14.07.2010 at 19:27

I only listen to selected few. Bone Thugs, Zack de la Rocha, Cypress Hill. That's all.

Bone Thugs N Harmony , Cypress Hill are great there old stuff are freakin awsome !!
15.07.2010 - 14:08
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=28526] on 15.07.2010 at 13:29

Bone Thugs N Harmony , Cypress Hill are great there old stuff are freakin awsome !!

Yeah they are good. Even the old Beastie Boys were amazing. Nas, Rakim, KRS-One, Snoop Dogg. Heard of Vinnie Paz? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiQ4Ml3sxCY He skinned it alive!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
16.07.2010 - 18:44
JD
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 15.07.2010 at 14:08

Yeah they are good. Even the old Beastie Boys were amazing. Nas, Rakim, KRS-One, Snoop Dogg. Heard of Vinnie Paz? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiQ4Ml3sxCY He skinned it alive!

i know Nas, KRS-One, Snoop Dogg, Beastie Boys... you know Bone Brother? it's a 2 members of bone thugs n harmony (krazy bone & lazy bone)
16.07.2010 - 20:11
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=28526] on 16.07.2010 at 18:44

i know Nas, KRS-One, Snoop Dogg, Beastie Boys... you know Bone Brother? it's a 2 members of bone thugs n harmony (krazy bone & lazy bone)

Nah never heard of them. To be honest I'm done with rap.. now i'm just black metal

Show me something about Bone Brother.
----
18.07.2010 - 00:20
JD
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 16.07.2010 at 20:11

Nah never heard of them. To be honest I'm done with rap.. now i'm just black metal

well i kinda forgot there songs last time i heard them 6 years ago i have one album which was good but not like the Bones Thugs albums, but man you should check the polish rap it's awsome specially WWO
21.07.2010 - 13:30
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=28526] on 18.07.2010 at 00:20

well i kinda forgot there songs last time i heard them 6 years ago i have one album which was good but not like the Bones Thugs albums, but man you should check the polish rap it's awsome specially WWO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsBV-P9gIC0 THEY'RE BACK!

Bizzy fucking skinned it alive man. Skinned it!

And oh, don't bother Cypress Hill's new album. They fucked it up this time.
----
21.07.2010 - 15:46
JD
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 21.07.2010 at 13:30

yeah i know the new Cypress Hill sucks but there is a song with Tom morello from (RAGE AGAINST THE MASHINE), anyway sorry man i can't check youtube it's blocked in syria, the cock suckers!! blocked it
22.07.2010 - 00:44
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=28526] on 21.07.2010 at 15:46

Written by The Turbanator on 21.07.2010 at 13:30

yeah i know the new Cypress Hill sucks but there is a song with Tom morello from (RAGE AGAINST THE MASHINE), anyway sorry man i can't check youtube it's blocked in syria, the cock suckers!! blocked it

Yeah that was "How I Could Just Kill A Man". The whole Renegade album was a remake. That's Bone Thugs new single, 'Rebirth'. Please go listen to it. For me it's release of the year.
----