Metal Storm logo
The Band that Invented Metal

Original post

Posted by Lupas, 01.06.2006 - 18:51
I wonder who was the first band that invented True Metal Music .
Some say that was OZZY or ACDC and others would say LED or even Metallica.
Better leave to you this decision
10.01.2008 - 10:34
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2008 at 10:24

Written by [user id=22888] on 10.01.2008 at 10:20

So who invented the blues?

The devil together with Robert Johnson at the crossroads?

Yes, of course... we should never forget the devil. And the sale of a man's soul.
13.01.2008 - 20:48
Son of Odin
In my opinion Black Sabbath was the first band that really played HEAVY Metal!!!
Of course there were other bands also like Deep purple, Led zeppelin but compare the music from those 2 bands with what Black Sabbath did...pretty huge difference. Sabbath is the ones responsible for Heavy metal.
Later on bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden continued to keep the flag of metal high!
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
15.01.2008 - 06:25
TombstoneHighway
Account deleted
Sir Lord Baltimore!!! Ahahahahaha.....

Not really, but I'd say either Black Sabbath or Lucifer's Friend. Actually, I'd argue that "Ride in the Sky" by Lucifer's Friend was heavier than most of the stuff off of Black Sabbath's debut album.

Also, for anybody who's gonna look up that song, it's NOT a rip-off of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song". "Ride in the Sky" was written before "Immigrant Song"
28.02.2008 - 20:59
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Who invented I don´t know but Black Sabbath were the pioneers of Metal! They sounded different of everybody else...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
28.02.2008 - 21:41
Ellie
Account deleted
I think bands like Iron Butterfly, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Cream, MC5, Blue Cheer were all pioneers for metal. I do think that Black Sabbath pretty much invented metal though.
05.03.2008 - 02:28
MetalFäng
Account deleted
I must say Sabbath. I listened to that Ride in the Sky song though, and it was a lot heavier that sabbath
05.03.2008 - 04:29
Hangar XVIII
I'm going to have to go with either Deep Purple or Uriah Heep.
Blue Cheer and Iron Butterfly and all were great bands, but they were more psychedellic blues and less metal.
Deep Purple and Uriah Heep pioneered the classically influenced, dueling solos, fast-riffing metal we all know and love.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
05.03.2008 - 14:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Hangar XVIII on 05.03.2008 at 04:29

Blue Cheer and Iron Butterfly and all were great bands, but they were more psychedellic blues and less metal.
Deep Purple and Uriah Heep pioneered the classically influenced, dueling solos, fast-riffing metal we all know and love.

actually i think Black Sabbath's 3rd album, Master of Reality was the birth of metal as a genre, with the crushing Children of the Grave and Sweet Leaf
05.03.2008 - 22:23
Hangar XVIII
Written by Valentin B on 05.03.2008 at 14:34

Written by Hangar XVIII on 05.03.2008 at 04:29

actually i think Black Sabbath's 3rd album, Master of Reality was the birth of metal as a genre, with the crushing Children of the Grave and Sweet Leaf

There's no question that it was a huge influence. It's certainly my favorite Sabbath album.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
06.03.2008 - 01:16
Black Sabbath for me. There is no explanation needed.
----
oderint dum metuant
06.03.2008 - 01:40
Harmonic
Account deleted
The Lord God invented everything, even metal. To test our faith in Him. Or something like that...

Actually God invented Black Sabbath, who then went and invented metal. But it was all according to His plan.

Praise the Lord!
07.03.2008 - 16:18
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Black Sabbath
also LZ had some metal songs, and DP was the band that was the first that played Fast music
but still BS is the most important
08.03.2008 - 04:49
Hangar XVIII
I still think Deep Purple is the most important technique-wise
Black sabbath was theme-wise
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
08.03.2008 - 16:34
Claudiuz
Account deleted
Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath,Cream and Deep Purple
10.03.2008 - 16:23
inccubuss
My vote Goes for Black Sabbath too... but i gotta check Ride in the Sky just for "anthropological curiosity"
20.03.2008 - 21:17
Vegetarian
Account deleted
I would actually vote for Judas Priest. They are really the first band that truly separated themselves from hard rock.
22.03.2008 - 02:22
metal maniac
Account deleted
well black sabbath was one of the architects of metal for shure but i dont think anyone has really invented it.
i think the music has just developed from rock to more harder and so on.
thats my opinion.
12.04.2008 - 14:49
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
maybe Rush they've bee naround since like 67
----
Coldgrits
13.04.2008 - 03:30
slayer_pwns
Account deleted
zeppelin and deep purple and other bands like that laid the foundation for metal but sabbath was the first band to actually PLAY metal
14.04.2008 - 12:34
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Jimi Hendrix invented heavy metal. There is told that he was reviewed as: "It sounds like heavy metal falling from the sky"(no source). I don't really think that he really invented it, but in these days the name was born at least.
17.04.2008 - 00:28
Haightredy
Metal was more like, a wave of bands all around the same time. Blues was getting less generic, distortion was just coming around.... I credit Black Sabbath with a lot of it, but really it was a lot of bands. I don't think any single person or band really did it.
18.04.2008 - 18:56
MorbidGod
Account deleted
well i have to agree with what "haightredy" said over there....he just shot it right in the head
no more words to add ....
20.04.2008 - 16:45
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
we don't say what band invented the metal becuz this genre create by too many band in every location for example : Black Sabbath or before that in another case in hard rock AC/DC but we know metal is showy in every mind that have a maturity about rock
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
21.04.2008 - 17:43
Berfones
No doubt, Black Sabbath were the first metal band and they invented it with their song "Black Sabbath"
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
27.04.2008 - 05:39
Vitokogvy
Black Sabbath
----
Victor!! i will live until u die!
http://bloodyashes.blogspot.com
http://www.heavymetal.com.pe
09.05.2008 - 22:07
Gordon Freeman
Like a lot of people have already said, metal wasn't invented...it just sort of happened. A lot of bands at the time were just taking the blues and making it heavier. A lot of people say Black Sabbath and Deep Purple...and maybe Rainbow...were the first bands to play songs that would actually be considered metal as opposed to more bluesy hard rock songs which they also played.

The first band to be a pure heavy metal band in my opinion was Judas Priest, though Rocka Rolla was fairly based in bluesy rock and roll they went on and became completely balls out Heavy Metal by Sad Wings of Destiny. There may have been other bands out of the spot light who did that before but they obviously were not visable enough at the time to truley take credit for anything.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
16.05.2008 - 00:57
GRIGAL
Account deleted
No one invented Metal! It just evolved naturally from the ilk of Vivaldi and Paganini via Robert Johnson through Elvis and the Beatles until some journalist probably woke up one day from a hangover and realised that 'Rock' sounded a tad vague.
21.05.2008 - 10:07
TheBigRossowski
Of course I'm still under the impression that Black Sabbath started it all. When the song "Black Sabbath" starts playing its as if all else fades away, his fuckin' heavy, dark and hypnotizing. Great! Now I have to watch the video. The drumming was slow and what not, but it kept that effect. Just LISTEN TO THAT GUITAR! Then Ozzy comes in and it's done "WHAT IS THIS THAT STANDS BEFORE ME? FIGURE IN BLACK WHICH POINTS AT ME....".

...metal is born
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
22.05.2008 - 00:31
Freezer
I think that the first Black Sabbath cannot be regarded completely as "metal", probably the first band to define and record "heavy metal" has been Judas Priest. The bands that came before them had a lot of interesing and forerunning aspects (like the high-pitched vocals, or the down-tuned guitars), but Priest have arguably been the first in putting everything together and laying the basics (and don't forget the twin solo guitar) for times to come.
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
22.05.2008 - 11:59
Smurfophagist
We all know metal is a very broad aspect. Yes the band that first played a 'primitive' form of metal where Black Sabbath. But it took many years to get metal where it is now. Black Sabbath, and the song Black Sabbath probably started it all. But then Led Zeppelin brought it to a next level using a well known metal gallop in the Immigrant Song. Bands like Deep Purple continued to perfect the genre implementing classical elements in it and then bands like Metallica showed up, bringing more subgenres to metal.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.