‹‹ Back to the Art forum Pages: 1 2 [3]
Users visited: 145  
Search this topic:  
what's your favourite style of painting?

surrealism24
other (please specify)11
abstract7
romanticism6
Symbolism6
impressionism5
renaissance5
baroque3

Total votes: 67

The original post

Posted by belisarius on 27.02.2008 at 17:15
i haven't found a topic like this, but if you find one please tell me then i'll delete this one. Personally i'm quite an artfan, my favourite style is baroque because of it's realism. My favourite painters are Caravaggio (baroque) and Schwabe (Symbolism).

Page 3 of 3

Mr. Doctor
Skandino

13.07.2012 at 02:20
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.07.2012 at 03:17
My girlfriend sees a building on fire and a ladder.

I see those things too + The Dinosaur.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
TheArtChick

23.10.2012 at 21:43
How can you guys not love this? The Baroque yielded some of the darkest works ever created. http://asylumeclectica.com/asylum/morbid/files/Judith-Slaying-Holofernes.jpg
Angry Soul

02.09.2016 at 09:07
Romanticism, the German and English movements to be more precise...

Personally am a big admirer of the Pre-Raphaelites...

Also a fan of the German philosophical movement connected to the German movement (i.e. the philosophy of people like Friedrich Schelling)...
----
"The valor that struggles is better than the weakness that endures." - Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

"Art is the Tree of Life. Science is the Tree of Death." - William Blake
IronAngel

11.09.2016 at 21:50
Haha, reading this topic is acid for my eyes. I barely know painting, but clearly neither do most posters. I wonder why our art education is so lacking? I mean, most of us can somewhat accurately discuss music, even historical art music, or cinema. But when it comes to painting, we draw a blank or pick the first thing that comes to mind and call it dramatic motif. I also wonder if surrealism gets so many votes because people genuinely appreciate it, or because it sounds weird and cool? I am not trying to be elitistic: my own knowledge of painting is pathetic, I can only name like two dozen painters and recognize half of that... but it's funny and depressing at the same time.

Based on my very limited exposure, I am an Italian Renaissance man. I really love the mystery and solemnity of some early, Byzantine-influenced works (which I can't name off the top of my head, but from the late 14th century on). They really show the transition from medieval conventions to modern techniques, capturing the best of both worlds.

More famous works like Botticelli's Primavera are wonderful, of course, but the one painter who really struck me with his delicate style and wonderful colors was Filippo Lippi. There was just something magical seeing shit like this in person:
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Fra_Filippo_Lippi_-_Madonna_with_the_Child_and_two_Angels_-_WGA13307.jpg/412px-Fra_Filippo_Lippi_-_Madonna_with_the_Child_and_two_Angels_-_WGA13307.jpg[/img]

I also dig later styles, of course. Had Rubens's Feast of Venus as my desktop image for a while, and I love me some of the dreamier impressionists and co. Magnus Enckell is a worthwhile Finnish painter in that tradition:
Gothika Groovy

12.09.2016 at 01:10
I love modern art and the works of Van Gogh and Monet as well...I love art that is very odd and unique....Peter Max is another that I love, his style is magnificent..I love paintings done in oil or watercolor the best...8-]]
3rdWorld
The Psilosopher

25.09.2016 at 17:12
Eventhough I really like Surrealism a lot I guess I prefer Renaissance, Romanticism and Baroque over it. Michealangelo and da Vinci are among the greatest artists in history. And Gustave Dore and Rembrandt were the masters in Romanticism and Baroque.
IronAngel

27.09.2016 at 14:48
For some great Baroque art, Rubens is a good bet. The Feast of Venus has a great atmosphere and earthy colors, contrasting with the milky skins.
3rdWorld
The Psilosopher

Today at 01:30
^Kinda not what I was expecting. Rembrandt's style is quite different from that. He doesn't focus on too much milky shitty human skins. His lighting, coloring and sepia tones are outstanding.

This is my absolute favorite of his though. The lighting is phenomenal. Would be a perfect cover for an Opeth/Cobalt album too, that is in case any of them can really make music that lives up to this.

Seems I only like artists selectively and not styles/movements. But I voted Renaissance and that style undoubtedly I do love though.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Login or register to post here.