Metal Storm logo
You're a metal musician - would be a session member of a pop artist?

Poll

Would you play as a session member for the recordings of a pop artist?

It depends on the artist...
Yeah!
Hell no!
Only if I was in a need for money...

Total votes: 99
28.02.2008 - 13:17
iaberis
Advice Troll
You're a metalhead and you're a musician too (drums, bass, guitar, etc.); would you go to play for the recordings of a pop artist as a session member?
If you had an offer for just the recordings... no other info about touring, songwriting or joining the support musicians... just to play your instrument for the upcoming album of let's say Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Elton John... Would you do it?

Some examples:

Think carefully before you vote. Thinking as a now "tr00" metalhead you'd say no, but what happens in 10 years from now, when you still have no job and no successful metal band?
----
Bitch! Please
28.02.2008 - 13:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'd play guitar for Michael Jackson, but just because I would want to gently rub his nose.
28.02.2008 - 13:24
Talvi
Well, if I want to live just by playing music guess I'll have to play for them so I can eat. But just see that those artists get some of the best musicians for them, so if you can't even get a band, guess you aren't so good at it, unless your band is really in trouble or something like that.

Also, see how many 'true metal' musicians have a job other than playing, so they don't have to be forced to play for some shit artist.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
28.02.2008 - 13:26
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Talvi on 28.02.2008 at 13:24

Well, if I want to live just by playing music guess I'll have to play for them so I can eat. But just see that those artists get some of the best musicians for them, so if you can't even get a band, guess you aren't so good at it, unless your band is really in trouble or something like that.

Also, see how many 'true metal' musicians have a job other than playing, so they don't have to be forced to play for some shit artist.

You're right man... I didn't think of that... but it's true.
----
Bitch! Please
28.02.2008 - 14:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
it depends, i wouldn't play session for tokio hotel or RBD but Michael Jackson or U2, that would definetely appeal to me
28.02.2008 - 14:07
Sunioj
I don't see anything wrong with metal musicians playing in for pop artists, as a musician ( imo ) you should learn to harness all sorts of sounds and expand your playing repertoire with all sorts of styles. Expanding your repertoire extends the credibility of your playing abilities, sure, a lot of pop music is prone to being catchy and simplistic, but metal can also be on a very basic level of playing as well.

Personally, I think that a lot of musicians involved with pop music are underrated ( and I'm not just talking about those songs that just use samples of pre recorded material ). Sure, the first thing you hear when you listen to a pop song is perhaps the vocals, but if you actually look at what musicians are doing then you would realize that they are doing their job well - they hit the notes on time, they add a layer to the song that sounds catchy, and they play it appropriately to fit the song.

But I voted - depends on the artist - because I don't think musicians should just play with any band that comes in their direction, but to make conscious choices about where/who to play with in order to suit their objectives as a musician.
28.02.2008 - 17:36
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Valentin B on 28.02.2008 at 14:01

it depends, i wouldn't play session for tokio hotel or RBD but Michael Jackson or U2, that would definetely appeal to me

Ugh RBD... *disgust face* But hey agreed.
Jimmy Page played in a Puff Daddy song, "Come with me"
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
28.02.2008 - 17:37
Warman
Erotic Stains
It all certainly depends on the artists intentions and music.
----
28.02.2008 - 17:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 28.02.2008 at 17:36

furthermore, i think it showcases Page's openmindedness as "Come with me" is from what i remember a version of the zeppelin song "Kashmir"
28.02.2008 - 17:52
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Valentin B on 28.02.2008 at 17:43

furthermore, i think it showcases Page's openmindedness as "Come with me" is from what i remember a version of the zeppelin song "Kashmir"

It's a nice song, though.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

28.02.2008 - 18:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Jennifer Batten also played for Michael Jackson
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2008 - 19:31
iaberis
Advice Troll

That's an awesome song!
And indeed part of Kashmir.
----
Bitch! Please
28.02.2008 - 22:33
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by iaberis on 28.02.2008 at 19:31

That's an awesome song!
And indeed part of Kashmir.

Yeah, Puff Daddy has some cool songs. I remember seeing and AMV wof this song with images of the anime series Berserk. pretty cool.
----

28.02.2008 - 23:20
Ernis
狼獾
One of Estonian's best drummers who has played and plays even t'day in numerous metal groups also works with a hip-hop group....I don't see anything wrong here....if a musician plays well then I observe this as a plus to any artist he works with.....
28.02.2008 - 23:29
Arya
Account deleted
It depends...If I had no money, it's obvious that i would accept. In anyway, i would play my guitar, my love, and I would do something that i like, also if i hate that music. Maybe it would be better if the riff are cool... Impossible, isn't it?
29.02.2008 - 02:21
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I would do it...not just for money, but for those artists in the pop music industry who are well respected and actually have some talent...
29.02.2008 - 05:17
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 28.02.2008 at 13:22

I'd play guitar for Michael Jackson, but just because I would want to gently rub his nose.

I would feel quite honoured if Michael Jackson would ask me to play an instrument on one of his albums.

Anyway, even if it is some horrifying band like Tokio Hotel or similar, I would play for them. As long as I receive the money and stay anonymous, I am fine with it.
29.02.2008 - 06:54
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Kerry King played a solo on the Beastie Boys' song "No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn." Good stuff.
----
The force will be with you, always.
29.02.2008 - 07:16
selken
Irreligious
Of course yes!!!, you could get some attention by the mainstream (at least for a while), and also you would earn money (money, money, everyone loves money!!! xD), but I will ask for a favor to the media: please say "the [Death/Black/Thrash] Metal Guitarrist" instead of "the Rock Guitarrist".

Remember, being a musician is a PROFFESSION.
I would even play for emo people.
----
01.03.2008 - 03:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Only if I was in need of money....like I am now. I mean, if I was totally rich I wouldnt see the point. It also depends on the artist as well, for example, Id totally play for Prince.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.03.2008 - 03:36
Vitokogvy
I would do it, just to make them know how good music sounds!
----
Victor!! i will live until u die!
http://bloodyashes.blogspot.com
http://www.heavymetal.com.pe
01.03.2008 - 17:16
VPeter
depends on the artist, if I don't like the artist I would not play for them.
but I would also play for a pop artist just to take away some close minded idea's of the mainstream about metal and it also gives a nice pocketchange.
01.03.2008 - 20:19
rageing atheist
Account deleted
depends on the artist, for a good pop artist, why not?
03.03.2008 - 14:53
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Interesting question. As a musician (if I was one), I would probably play for pretty much anyone and see it just as "work". And if I hated the style of music I was playing for I could always ask for my name to not be mentioned in the album credits.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
03.03.2008 - 18:00
Stigma
Account deleted
Lauri Porra from Stratovarius is also well-known for his session and live membership in many bands, which couple of them are pop or jazz (far away from metal anyhow). I don't see anything wrong playing in different kinds of bands. I call it being open-minded.
03.03.2008 - 18:17
iaberis
Advice Troll
Interesting results so far...
----
Bitch! Please
05.03.2008 - 07:00
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
There are some pop musicians who annoy me, and then there are some pop musicians that annoy me, but still have respectable aspects about them, so I went with "Depends on the artist."
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
05.03.2008 - 07:09
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
yeh it depends on the artist - but generally - like some of the the examples that are listed... NO!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
05.03.2008 - 08:28
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
My carrer demand me to play wherever the contract says, so i can't complain about it, as a job is frustaiting to been in that shit. But always the good music reigns in the heart, so when you play what you like, the results are better.
05.03.2008 - 11:22
Oracle
Orcinus
For me it depends on the artist... I would play guitar for Delta Goodrem definately... but only coz i like her music
I reckon it would be quite Interesting and i dont think i would care about what style of music it was at the time, just as long as they know that im a good musician then im not complaining