Metal Storm logo
You're a metal musician - would be a session member of a pop artist?

Original post

Posted by iaberis, 28.02.2008 - 13:17
You're a metalhead and you're a musician too (drums, bass, guitar, etc.); would you go to play for the recordings of a pop artist as a session member?
If you had an offer for just the recordings... no other info about touring, songwriting or joining the support musicians... just to play your instrument for the upcoming album of let's say Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Elton John... Would you do it?

Some examples:

Think carefully before you vote. Thinking as a now "tr00" metalhead you'd say no, but what happens in 10 years from now, when you still have no job and no successful metal band?

Poll

Would you play as a session member for the recordings of a pop artist?

It depends on the artist...
Yeah!
Hell no!
Only if I was in a need for money...

Total votes: 99
07.03.2008 - 02:55
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Just remember guys, three of the members of Led Zeppelin were all session/pop musicans before they formed the band. If the fathers of our scene did it, why can't we?

For those who don't know, most session musicans are leaps and bounds more talented than most metal musicans. They have to be ablew to walk into a studio and play anything right there on the spot. From rap to bubblegum pop, from cock-rock to trip-hop, from country to polka.
----
(space for rent)
07.03.2008 - 04:11
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
So would I whore myself out is basically the question... If I was talented enough of course, but wouldn't anyone feel ashamed? It has nothing to do with being a tr00 metalhead, I just couldn't stand being fake all the time. I could never do it if the singer was lip synching definitely. And if Led Zeppelin members did it, that is still irrelevant to the world of music today. I'm sure the pop sessions they did weren't anything close to the absurd pop icons that we have today. If it was the sixties, yes. Today, no.

And whether or not session musicians are more talented is debatable. Sure they can memorize different styles of playing, but they lack the ability to create anything profound or original.
07.03.2008 - 07:08
Evil Chip
Whats wrong with michael jackson music? He has some br00tal dance movements.
I would be honored to play in one of his songs. He is one of the icons of 80's music.
08.03.2008 - 09:58
FOOCK Nam
Maybe no, because if Im not interested in the music I am offered to record, I wouldnt join.
08.03.2008 - 11:13
Sunioj
Written by Introspekrieg on 07.03.2008 at 04:11

And whether or not session musicians are more talented is debatable. Sure they can memorize different styles of playing, but they lack the ability to create anything profound or original.

Same can be said towards Metal musicians though.
08.03.2008 - 12:50
Eternal Flames
I think diversity is an important aspect in music and I wouldn't hesitate to do session work for a pop musician as it would be a great opportunity to explore other avenues of music. I think that's the great thing about doing session work anyway, the fact that you can be very diverse as a musician and play many different styles rather than just be limited to the one genre.

Furthermore, having an extensive background of various music genres when it comes to play a particular instrument would assist in the originality department. Being able to play so many different styles of music and then incorporating skills for each genre into your own style is what makes many musicians unique.

I'm not implying that session musicians are more original or more talented than other musicains though. Not all session musicians manage to incorporate the skills and techniques into their own unique style, so of course it varies from musician to musician. My point is that having the experience of playing different styles of music and developing new techniques and skills can only be beneficial in my opinion. Hence I'd probably be willing to play for most artists if I thought I was capable of the songs.
08.03.2008 - 15:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yeah I would. If it is a good artist, I might even like not. If not, I just hope he pays big time.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.03.2008 - 16:32
Syk
myspace/bonerama
It completely depends on the artist and where the boundaries are drawn around "pop". Well no, of course money could be a small factor... but only small.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
08.03.2008 - 20:27
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite

So would I whore myself out is basically the question... If I was talented enough of course, but wouldn't anyone feel ashamed? It has nothing to do with being a tr00 metalhead, I just couldn't stand being fake all the time. I could never do it if the singer was lip synching definitely. And if Led Zeppelin members did it, that is still irrelevant to the world of music today. I'm sure the pop sessions they did weren't anything close to the absurd pop icons that we have today. If it was the sixties, yes. Today, no.

Could you please explain how it is any more absurd today than it was 40 years ago?

How do you know they lack the ability to create anything original? How many session musicians do you know? How many studios have you gone to? Have you ever actually worked with studio musicians?

It is really apparent that you don't know much of anything about studio musicans.
----
(space for rent)
08.03.2008 - 22:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 08.03.2008 at 20:27

Could you please explain how it is any more absurd today than it was 40 years ago?

How do you know they lack the ability to create anything original? How many session musicians do you know? How many studios have you gone to? Have you ever actually worked with studio musicians?

It is really apparent that you don't know much of anything about studio musicans.

Hahaha. pwned.
On this note, it would also depend on how much freedom Id have, if I was allowed to write the material I was playing, if I could, then almost definitely yes I would. Unless it was for any American Idol winners, I wouldn't want to play for anyone who has success just handed to them.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.03.2008 - 22:27
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 08.03.2008 at 22:15

Hahaha. pwned.
On this note, it would also depend on how much freedom Id have, if I was allowed to write the material I was playing, if I could, then almost definitely yes I would. Unless it was for any American Idol winners, I wouldn't want to play for anyone who has success just handed to them.

Since when do American Idol winners have success "just handed to them"? I never knew winning top spot was so easy!
08.03.2008 - 22:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 08.03.2008 at 22:27

Written by Doc G. on 08.03.2008 at 22:15

Hahaha. pwned.

Since when do American Idol winners have success "just handed to them"? I never knew winning top spot was so easy!

Well its ridiculously easy compared to the classic way of getting success. Musicians that get big (well, maybe not a lot of popstars these days) get big because they busted there ass for years through self promotion and never giving up or taking no for an answer. These people just walk into a room, do the exact same thing other hard working people are doing, yet immediately get rewarded, and unlike many accomplished musicians, these people get pampered on there so called "climb to the top" they get free top notch hotels, free flights, all that shit. Then if they win they get the exact same thing some other hard working person gets, except all they did was take a bus to the stadium that day and enjoy there ride to the top. Thats just one of my many problems with that show.
----
- George Carlin
08.03.2008 - 22:37
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 08.03.2008 at 22:32

Hahaha. pwned.

Well its ridiculously easy compared to the classic way of getting success. Musicians that get big (well, maybe not a lot of popstars these days) get big because they busted there ass for years through self promotion and never giving up or taking no for an answer. These people just walk into a room, do the exact same thing other hard working people are doing, yet immediately get rewarded, and unlike many accomplished musicians, these people get pampered on there so called "climb to the top" they get free top notch hotels, free flights, all that shit. Then if they win they get the exact same thing some other hard working person gets, except all they did was take a bus to the stadium that day and enjoy there ride to the top. Thats just one of my many problems with that show.

So you don't think that maybe they have to spend years preparing and training before trying out on the show?
08.03.2008 - 22:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Quote:
Written by Guest on 08.03.2008 at 22:37

Hahaha. pwned.

So you don't think that maybe they have to spend years preparing and training before trying out on the show?

Pfft. Training isn't that hard, anyone can do it. Like I said, they have the exact same abilities as everyone else, but instead of getting success through years of making it on your own, they step off there front doorstep and into a pool of money.
----
- George Carlin
08.03.2008 - 22:41
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 08.03.2008 at 22:39

Pfft. Training isn't that hard, anyone can do it. Like I said, they have the exact same abilities as everyone else, but instead of getting success through years of making it on your own, they step off there front doorstep and into a pool of money.

Why don't you try out, then?
08.03.2008 - 22:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 08.03.2008 at 22:41

Because Im not a singer. Never will be, never want to be. And wouldn't it be a little hypocritical of me if i did?
----
- George Carlin
08.03.2008 - 22:50
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 08.03.2008 at 22:41

I was just about to say that. The fact is, if Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, James LaBrie, or Chris Cornell tried out, they probably would not make the cut (and not because of age reasons).

Being a pop vocalist is incredible hard to do. When I studied vocal performance in college, that was one area of vocals I could never get down. It is very, very hard to do. And any of those folks who make it into the top 12 on Idol, have spent years and years training their voices.
----
(space for rent)
08.03.2008 - 22:51
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 08.03.2008 at 22:46

Because Im not a singer. Never will be, never want to be. And wouldn't it be a little hypocritical of me if i did?

Oh, sorry. I must have confused American Idol with some other talent show. Isn't there a show where people can do just about anything on stage? Thought I might see some wicked drumming...

Taking the hard road is the best in the long run, no doubt about it. Sure, there's not as much money and glamor - but it's good for the soul.
08.03.2008 - 23:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 08.03.2008 at 22:51

Written by Doc G. on 08.03.2008 at 22:46

Oh, sorry. I must have confused American Idol with some other talent show. Isn't there a show where people can do just about anything on stage? Thought I might see some wicked drumming...

Taking the hard road is the best in the long run, no doubt about it. Sure, there's not as much money and glamor - but it's good for the soul.

Yeah, even though any form of talent show to get success (other than battle of the bands type things), on a major scale I really don't agree with...though realistically I probably would end up trying out, all in all I am greedy.
----
- George Carlin
08.03.2008 - 23:44
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Quote:

I should have phrased it better: IN MY OPINION, I feel that today's pop music is more absurd than pop music 40 years ago... It's like comparing The Beatles to Ashlee Simpson.

You emphasized that studio musicians are more talented in the fact that they can come in and play multiple styles on the spot, I simply disagreed that this makes someone talented. I just value creativity more than learned reproduction... If a studio musician can do both, then yes, they are definitely more talented. Thanks for putting me into my place with the pwnage. You always do a good job keeping the MetalStorm channels free of bullshit...

(I always get chills down my spine when I see a notification that Dane Train has quoted me in a forum, I know that I have said something wrong and that I am about to incur his wrath... )
08.03.2008 - 23:59
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 08.03.2008 at 23:44

(I always get chills down my spine when I see a notification that Dane Train has quoted me in a forum, I know that I have said something wrong and that I am about to incur his wrath... )

Indeed. "Hell hath no fury like a Christian scorned."

Wait, did I get that right?

(Dane Train is a man of many questions but few answers. This is an effective way of holding the high ground in a debate.)
09.03.2008 - 00:10
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I am not sure if those are meant as insults or compliments...or both.
----
(space for rent)
09.03.2008 - 00:12
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 09.03.2008 at 00:10

I am not sure if those are meant as insults or compliments...or both.

Compliments, of course. I save my insults for the atheists.
09.03.2008 - 00:19
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Now I feel really lost. I honestly can't tell if that was sarcastic or not. It is always hard for me to tell what people are actually saying. Might have something to do with me being the most hated member here?

But anyway. I know many studio musicians who have both amazing technical ability and fantastic originality. Several of my friends who are studio musicians say it is actually much more difficult to make a living as a studio musician than a touring one.
----
(space for rent)
09.03.2008 - 00:33
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 09.03.2008 at 00:19

Now I feel really lost. I honestly can't tell if that was sarcastic or not. It is always hard for me to tell what people are actually saying. Might have something to do with me being the most hated member here?

Sometimes putting me into a box with a label can prove to be challenging. (Ask CJ or taka.) I can be like that - but I can be serious and level-headed, too. (If it's a lengthy post, that means I'm serious.)

I am not being sarcastic, and I don't hate you. I honestly don't know why atheists are so venomous in their rejection of religion, and I think you do a great job of sticking up for Christianity. Your C.S. Lewis quote on another thread was very compelling.

Just don't try to convert me, I'm immune to Christianity! <-- (That's me having fun, Dane. Don't worry about it. )

But anyway. I know many studio musicians who have both amazing technical ability and fantastic originality. Several of my friends who are studio musicians say it is actually much more difficult to make a living as a studio musician than a touring one.

Everyone likes to take down what they don't understand or appreciate. Open minds are more scarce than gold.
09.03.2008 - 00:40
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite

No way man, you keep this site interesting. You always call people out when they say something that should be challenged, and in the end it brings out the truth. This site would suck if it was just people agreeing with each other about how everything metal (including the false ideal that metal is automatically anti-religion) is above all and better than everything else, which isn't necessarily true. You have character, which is something I can say I have not developed on this site. One who makes no enemies, makes not a good friend.

And I'm sure being a session musician is tough, probably not as rewarding as being part of a touring band playing shows and partying. You would need some great connections to get gigs, and even then, how often would you be working?

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you..."
(Matthew 5:44,45)

Truth is Love.
09.03.2008 - 00:51
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Haha, that is one of my favorite passages.

Anyway, thanks guys.

But back to session musicians. It also depends upon what is satisfying for a musician. I personally prefer being in the studio and working there than out on stage. Others have the opposite and hate the studio but thrive for the open road. The short time that I did spend touring several years ago, I really didn't like it. The party life just is not for me. Sure, I love beer. Oh boy do I love beer. But I can't stand drunk people.

Many session players are not looking for that fame and fortune of the spot light. Instead of doing a few "hit albums" their more content being on several thousand albums.
----
(space for rent)
10.03.2008 - 00:41
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
I have no interest in pop, so I would not be a session musician for a pop artist. I would only do music that I'm interested in.
10.03.2008 - 00:49
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Sepulchre on 10.03.2008 at 00:41

I have no interest in pop, so I would not be a session musician for a pop artist. I would only do music that I'm interested in.

And if you needed to earn the money to pay the mortgage? The real world comes knocking...
10.03.2008 - 00:56
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Written by Guest on 10.03.2008 at 00:49

Written by Sepulchre on 10.03.2008 at 00:41

And if you needed to earn the money to pay the mortgage? The real world comes knocking...

I guess thats true...